More Coporate bashing

Skip to the first unread message

Edward Crosby

30 Jul 2009, 14:16:4530/07/2009
to TUG TUG
Here is a really great article on mobile phone providers.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/30/david-pogue-launches-all-out-war-on-canned-voicemail-messages

I can tell you as soon as I read this I emailed Mark Siegel at AT&T.

--
Have a Better One,
Edward Crosby

Todd Elliott

30 Jul 2009, 14:22:5230/07/2009
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
I heard about this on the radio or a magazine. Tilting at Windmills though.  That's just the smallest of the way phone companies rape us every day.

Todd Elliott
thel...@gmail.com
http://www.theuniquegeek.com/

Edward Crosby

30 Jul 2009, 14:26:3830/07/2009
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
Corrected the subject line spelling.

Really. Complain to your mobile provider. These guys are thieves for what
they charge us for service.
I've been complaining about the voicemail greeting for AT&T for ages. My
girlfriend doesn't even leave a greeting on her AT&T voicemail and it
still takes forever to leave her a voicemail with the AT&T garbage
greeting.

Cary Preston

30 Jul 2009, 14:58:5430/07/2009
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
Text messaging costs the carriers practically nothing to provide. Infuriating.

Ronald Methvin

30 Jul 2009, 15:16:4330/07/2009
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
Definitely give feedback to companies, but remember, it's REALLY hard for companies to take real advantage of you.  Unless (1) the company is a monopoly when it comes to the product (which are very, very rare - Apple may be a monopoly on the iPhone, it ain't on cellphones) and (2) the item is a necessecity (and a cellphone ain't a necessecity), they CAN'T overcharge you - because you don't have to buy it.
Seth Myers, of SNL, has a routine about how jaded people can be.  To paraphase, "Last week, I was on a plane, and the say over the intercom that the flight now offers free wifi.  The guy beside me and I agree that is pretty neat.  A half hour into the flight, they announce they are havging problems with the wifi.  The guy next to me says, "Man, that's BULLS#!T".  Dude, so you don't have access to something that you didn't even knew existed 30 minutes - and you're mad about it?!?"

I can now, for less than $50 a month, talk to anyone anywhere in the U.S. for as long as I want, when I am pracically anywhere in the U.S.  20 years ago, I couldn't get that kind of a deal on a landline, much less a cell phone.  That's awesome!  Sure, the cell companies make a mint on texting, but 20 years ago . . .oh, wait that didn't exist back then.

Sure, society is in a downward spiral, and the government is slowing taking away our freedoms . . . but as far as businesses go, they are awesome.  Think  AT&T or Exxon make 'too much' money?  Don't use them, and/or, better yet, invest in them and reap the benefits of other peoples' complicity.

~Ron

(I've been listening to a lot of Ayn Rand, recently.)

30 Jul 2009, 15:52:3130/07/2009
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
To be honest, since I have no patience, the annoyance of waiting for the
greeting to end has always been my gripe. Learning that AT&T is charging
me (and also the person I am calling, I suspect) for that annoyance is
just icing on the cake.
True, it is definitely a privilege to have a mobile phone, but I am paying
for that privilege. The fact that AT&T is milking for something extra,
like waiting on a voicemail greeting, doesn't give them the right to take
advantage of my privilege, even if they are the provider.

--
Have a Better One,
Edward Crosby