Libel by Twitter

Ronald Methvin

Jan 11, 2010, 5:09:38 PM1/11/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
http://writ.news.findlaw.com/hilden/20100104.html

Basicaly, Kim Kardashian is getting sued because she tweeted that the "Cookie Diet" was unhealthy.  The article is interesting in that it isn't a news report but a legal analysis.  I don't usually agree with Julie Hilden, but her analysis is pretty good here.

Bottom line, is calling something 'unhealthy' an opinion or a statement of 'fact'?  Considering it's Kim Kardashian, not Dr. C. Everert Coop, or even Dr. Phil, probably not a real statement of fact; however, given she still has a freakin' tv show and is appaently a spokesperson for another weightlose product, her statements do have some sort of credibility with the target demographic of people considering something called the "Cookie Diet".  Therefore, maybe they do have a case.

Crap, I'm back in the 99% of lawyers . . .

~Ron, Esq.

Cary Preston

Jan 12, 2010, 8:30:21 AM1/12/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
What weight loss product could she possibly endorse? The 'move
everything to your ass' diet?

Yeah, if she's on the payroll of a competing product (and is using her
fame to influence purchasing patterns) I could see how they'd have a
case. It's tenuous- just like her fame.