Quit it, George! Stop the madness.

1 view

Ed

Aug 16, 2008, 8:56:15 AM8/16/08
to The Unique Geek

Todd Elliott

Aug 16, 2008, 10:00:54 AM8/16/08
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
I don't think he's ruining it.  So what if he keeps coming out with stuff?  Don't freakin watch it if you don't want to.  Just because he can't come up with anything original doesn't mean there aren't other space epics to look into.

Terry Morton

Aug 18, 2008, 10:49:50 AM8/18/08
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
I don't think he's ruining it either because ruining implies present tense.

George destroyed Star Wars in 1999.  The damage has already been done.

Jason Service

Aug 18, 2008, 11:26:45 AM8/18/08
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
there is this tiny part of me that says George didn't ruin the SW franchise, he expanded it, sent it in a direction that was not accepted by the general population of Sci-Fi fans,but he does have a whole new set of kids into Star Wars. I saw 2 kids in Target just yesterday and they were looking at the new Clone Wars toys and they were excited. For that i say good.

Then the 99% of my being that loved Star Wars...like LOVED Star Wars, says that he has totally told his original fans to go fuck ourselves, Han can't be a badass and just shoot Greedo, Greedo has to shoot first, Anakin can't be old at the end of Jedi, we have to see young Skywalker Hayden Christensen...why not just delete Sir Alec Guinness and add in Ewan McGregor too?

I will just say that no one but Lucas can squeeze 6 pennies out of a nickle, and i guess he wanted to set his great-great-grandchildren up for the rest of their lives...

Erika

Aug 18, 2008, 11:39:43 AM8/18/08
to The Unique Geek
My 8-year-old son is as stoked about "Star Wars" now as I was at his
age, and he came to that on his own. I hate what Lucas has done to the
franchise, but clearly, I'm no longer in his target audience. Oh,
well. It was great while it lasted.

On Aug 18, 11:26 am, "Jason Service" <ser...@gmail.com> wrote:
> there is this tiny part of me that says George didn't ruin the SW franchise,
> he expanded it, sent it in a direction that was not accepted by the general
> population of Sci-Fi fans,but he does have a whole new set of kids into Star
> Wars. I saw 2 kids in Target just yesterday and they were looking at the new
> Clone Wars toys and they were excited. For that i say good.
>
> Then the 99% of my being that loved Star Wars...like LOVED Star Wars, says
> that he has totally told his original fans to go fuck ourselves, Han can't
> be a badass and just shoot Greedo, Greedo has to shoot first, Anakin can't
> be old at the end of Jedi, we have to see young Skywalker Hayden
> Christensen...why not just delete Sir Alec Guinness and add in Ewan McGregor
> too?
>
> I will just say that no one but Lucas can squeeze 6 pennies out of a nickle,
> and i guess he wanted to set his great-great-grandchildren up for the rest
> of their lives...
>
> On 8/18/08, Terry Morton <terrymor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I don't think he's ruining it either because ruining implies present tense.
>
> > George destroyed Star Wars in 1999.  The damage has already been done.

Cary Preston

Aug 18, 2008, 1:29:30 PM8/18/08
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
I gave up being a fan after seeing Phantom Menace. While I wasn't planning on seeing the latest effort, after reading the review in the latest Entertainment magazine (they graded it an F- the only such grade I've seen this year) I most assuredly won't bother.

sghoul

Aug 18, 2008, 1:43:53 PM8/18/08
to The Unique Geek
When comparing now to then, keep in mind that kids can love good stuff
and crap just as easily. But I remember the old ones...my PARENTS
liked them too. They don't like the new ones.

Many people have pulled off movies that both children and adults can
enjoy. Lucas it seems, can't do this. And let's be fair, many kids
would be into any mvoie that had some guys waving lightsabers around.

Holly Elliott

Aug 18, 2008, 2:01:33 PM8/18/08
to theuni...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, Time magazine gave it a D- and it rarely gives such grades (you never see an F).

Holly

> >> to look into.<br

Erika

Aug 18, 2008, 4:22:19 PM8/18/08
to The Unique Geek
When I saw the commercial with the belching spawn of Jabba the Hutt,
something in my spirit died.

On Aug 18, 2:01 pm, "Holly Elliott" <holly1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, Time magazine gave it a D- and it rarely gives such grades (you never
> see an F).
>
> Holly

Shag

Aug 18, 2008, 6:12:58 PM8/18/08
to theuni...@googlegroups.com

I’ve said it here many times, the only enjoyment I get out of Star Wars now is the expanded universe stuff not done by Lucas. Remember how great the Timothy Zahn and Michael Stackpole books were? Here we had Star Wars being guided by someone else’s hand.  Well… that is still happening, but just not getting as much press.  For example, the recent “Legacy of the Force” novels were very good featuring Jacen Solo’s turn to the Dark Side.  Also, the Star Wars “Legacy” comic from Dark Horse is an interesting continuation of the Star Wars saga.

So there is good new Star Wars product out there, it’s just not coming from Lucas himself.

The Irredeemable Shag
http://onceuponageek.com

Aug 25, 2008, 2:34:01 AM8/25/08
to The Unique Geek
Okay, I went and saw the STAR WARS: CLONE WARS movie. I know I'll
probably be lambasted for saying this, but I don't think it deserved
all the negative press it got. It wasn't all that bad. It was
certainly better than I expected.

I posted a full review to my blog. I would have posted it here, but
I've got some media included.
http://onceuponageek.com/2008/08/25/star-wars-clone-wars-better-than-expected/

BossHog

Aug 25, 2008, 11:03:47 AM8/25/08
to The Unique Geek
I watched Clone Wars this past Saturday with my 8 year old daughter
and 4 year old son. They both loved it and want to see it again. I
thought is was okay and way better than Episode 1 (for what that is
worth). My son especially can't stop talking about it - He keeps
recreating scenes from the movie.

My understanding is that this was meant to be a prelude to a regular
cartoon series - if so, then the cartoon series might be okay given
that I can't imagine Lucas has that much time to write a bunch of
scripts... he is too busy killing our childhood.

On Aug 25, 2:34 am, Shag <s...@onceuponageek.com> wrote:
> Okay, I went and saw the STAR WARS: CLONE WARS movie.  I know I'll
> probably be lambasted for saying this, but I don't think it deserved
> all the negative press it got.  It wasn't all that bad.  It was
> certainly better than I expected.
>
> I posted a full review to my blog.  I would have posted it here, but
> I've got some media included.http://onceuponageek.com/2008/08/25/star-wars-clone-wars-better-than-...
>
> The Irredeemable Shaghttp://onceuponageek.com

sghoul

Aug 25, 2008, 11:17:11 AM8/25/08
to The Unique Geek
I have to say, as I have said before, having an 8 year old like
something means diddly poop. Children like some horrendous crap.
Pleasing a child is an easy task. Especially with 3D. I know of more
than one child who will want to see ANY movie that is made in 3D. Add
to that how impressionable they are (and are spammed with this stuff
all day on Disney and Nick) and you don't exactly have a good
measuring stick for quality.

sh...@onceuponageek.com

Aug 25, 2008, 11:42:43 AM8/25/08
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
Dude - As someone that praised the 2003 version of Clone Wars, I think you really should make up your own mind on this one (rather than letting the media decide for you). In fact, I'll pay for your ticket to see it if you're willing. I don't think you'll hate it as much as you think.

The Irredeemable Shag

Aug 25, 2008, 12:20:01 PM8/25/08
to The Unique Geek
EDIT: Star Wars Holiday Special dates to 1978. Beat that one!! Even
though Lucas himself didn't oversee this.

Just remember that when you complain about the prequel trilogy. Not
that bad after all huh!?

Terry Morton

Aug 25, 2008, 12:58:25 PM8/25/08
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
Nope, it's still bad.  It just doesn't have Bea Arthur and Jefferson's Starship to blame for it.

twilitezoner

Aug 25, 2008, 1:03:12 PM8/25/08
to The Unique Geek
LOL. Does it get worse than that? I remember watching that as a kid
and even then thinking is this for real?

On Aug 25, 12:58 pm, "Terry Morton" <terrymor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nope, it's still bad. It just doesn't have Bea Arthur and Jefferson's
> Starship to blame for it.

Todd Elliott

Aug 26, 2008, 11:14:43 AM8/26/08
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
I gotta go with sghoul on this one.  Kids love some crapola.

sh...@onceuponageek.com

Aug 26, 2008, 12:01:00 PM8/26/08
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
Wow.  And that's coming from the guy that loves EVERY movie.  :)

The Irredeemable Shag

Aug 26, 2008, 2:35:52 PM8/26/08
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
Since there wasn't a comma between 'kid' and 'Todd', I read that as 'Kid Todd', like 'Kid Flash', which is actually kind of a scary idea.

Aug 26, 2008, 2:58:28 PM8/26/08
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
Yes.  I have an example though.  Ron made me watch the last Highlander movie.  I died a little inside.

Todd Elliott

Aug 26, 2008, 7:07:05 PM8/26/08
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
What would my superpower be though?

Terry Morton

Aug 26, 2008, 7:21:22 PM8/26/08
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
X-ray Vision or Invisibility.  I figure that you would have the powers that are the easiest to sexually harass women. ;)

Ed

Aug 26, 2008, 8:53:04 PM8/26/08
to The Unique Geek
A power you actually already possess. The power to annoy everyone.

Todd Elliott

Aug 26, 2008, 9:14:53 PM8/26/08
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
That hurts Ed.  That hurts.