The Expendables Call to Arms Trailer

Jennifer M. Smith

Jul 29, 2010, 12:24:04 PM7/29/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
Apologies to "Eat Pray Love" fans....

Are you man enough for this movie??? :)

Jen

sh...@onceuponageek.com

Jul 30, 2010, 8:45:00 AM7/30/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
OMG!  Best trailer ever!  I'm in for this movie!

Todd Elliott

Jul 30, 2010, 11:44:31 AM7/30/10
to theuniquegeek
That looks pretty good.
http://expendablesthemovie.com/

Todd Elliott
thel...@gmail.com
http://www.theuniquegeek.com/
http://www.google.com/profiles/thelliott

Scott Hamilton

Jul 30, 2010, 11:55:46 AM7/30/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
I think the more realistic scenario is that The Expendables will get crushed by Scott Pilgrim vs. the World opening the same weekend, signifying once and for all the dominance of nerd-as-action-hero movies (Spider-Man, Iron Man, Kick-Ass) over the old style steroid-fests.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes."

rave...@aol.com

Jul 30, 2010, 12:53:25 PM7/30/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
Let's make it a TUG contest.

I think Expendables will grab some of that Wild Hogs money, that Die Hard 4 money.  All the olds who only come out for the old heroes, and these are people who know how to go to the movies.

Scott Pilgrim will not do well.  I say under an under $30 open!  It's not kid-friendly and looks annoying to adults.

Expendables doesn't look awesome awesome, but the lineup is a dream, a time-travelling present to Raa Middle School.

So...

Contest - (do we have polls?)

1) Which will have a larger opening box office total: Expendables or Scott Pilgrim?

Expendables

2) Which will have a higher total after three weeks?

Expendables

3) Which one will have a higher score of Rotten Tomatoes?

Expendables

Scott Hamilton

Jul 30, 2010, 1:12:55 PM7/30/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
On Jul 30, 2010, at 12:53 PM, rave...@aol.com wrote:

Scott Pilgrim will not do well.  I say under an under $30 open!  It's not kid-friendly and looks annoying to adults.

You mean like Twilight? Yeah, you're right, how will a movie aimed at teens based on a graphic novel that currently holds 6 of the 10 slots on the NYT GN best sellers list possibly do well?

I'll take all your bets, especially the RT and three weeks out ones. Even if Scott Pilgrim doesn't resonate with mainstream reviewers they'll like it better than the Expendables, if only because SP isn't a wax museum exhibit.

Cary Preston

Jul 30, 2010, 1:22:13 PM7/30/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
I have no interest in the Retreadables. Scott Pilgrim could completely flop like Kick Ass did, but I'll still be queuing up for it over a huge cast of tired action heroes.

rave...@aol.com

Jul 30, 2010, 1:33:14 PM7/30/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
Twilight had/has equal appeal to adults.  Vampires are a concept everyone "gets."  Same with Harry Potter, as many adults read it as children.  Adults do not read Scott Pilgrim in any significant numbers if at all.

Flashy graphic nonsense doesn't appeal to adults any more than Speed Racer did, so you're not going to get the over 25-demo.  It's too violent/sexy for kids, so no under 13-demo, so you may get the coveted 18-24 crowd, but it takes all of the above to beat a cookie-cutter action flick with the heroes of yesteryear.  I'm telling you, Wild Hogs is a piece of shit, badly made super-unfunny, but...it has the olds in it, and they responded.  Die Hard 4 - completely forgotten to history.  What happens in it? Did it come out? I don't know, but it made a godzillion dollars because the olds came out for it.  The Expendables makes olds feel like they're relevant again and that Hollywood remembers them.

I'm glad the Scott Pilgrim books are popular and selling well.  By all accounts they are well-written and well-told, and I would like to read them.  I have nothing against them conceptually (not that my opinion matters).

Yogi Bear in its opening weekend will make three times what Scott Pilgrim makes in its lifetime.

I am going to hoist the TUG movie bet trophy high!

Jul 30, 2010, 1:42:22 PM7/30/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
There you go, that's a good reference-point.  Pilgrim has a much much higher profile than Kick Ass did, and it's got a star (Cera), so it should do better.  It's also not rated as restrictively.

I certainly think it will do better than Kick-Ass (but that's not saying much).  The fact is, our dad's still rule the world, and they will leave their lazy-boys for The Expendables.

The writing in Kick-Ass was TERRIBLE, btw.  Talk about warmed-over wax museum.  It was like someone's uncle did the script-treatment.

Scott Hamilton

Jul 30, 2010, 2:27:01 PM7/30/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 1:42 PM, <rave...@aol.com> wrote:
There you go, that's a good reference-point.  Pilgrim has a much much higher profile than Kick Ass did, and it's got a star (Cera), so it should do better.  It's also not rated as restrictively.

I certainly think it will do better than Kick-Ass (but that's not saying much).  The fact is, our dad's still rule the world, and they will leave their lazy-boys for The Expendables.

As you seems more than a little obsessed with these "olds" you keep talking about, can you name another R-rated movie they flocked to and made a hit?

I suspect the real audience for The Expendables is going to be movie nerds like me who have fond memories of the late-80s action genre, but that's about it. I'm guessing the movie's box office performance will be a lot closer to Snakes on a Plane than you imagine.

BossHog

Jul 30, 2010, 2:29:33 PM7/30/10
to The Unique Geek
I will play your game, but first I need clarification:

What does this mean?: Which one will have a higher score of Rotten
Tomatoes?

Do you mean which movie will have more "Rotten Tomatoes"? OR which one
will have a "Better" rating (certified "fresher")?

Jon

On Jul 30, 1:42 pm, ravenf...@aol.com wrote:
> There you go, that's a good reference-point.  Pilgrim has a much much higher profile than Kick Ass did, and it's got a star (Cera), so it should do better.  It's also not rated as restrictively.
>
> I certainly think it will do better than Kick-Ass (but that's not saying much).  The fact is, our dad's still rule the world, and they will leave their lazy-boys for The Expendables.
>
> The writing in Kick-Ass was TERRIBLE, btw.  Talk about warmed-over wax museum.  It was like someone's uncle did the script-treatment.

rave...@aol.com

Jul 30, 2010, 2:37:41 PM7/30/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
That should have read "on" Rotten Tomatoes, and should mean "better" rating (fresher).

You have scored a point, Scott.  The Expendables is rated R and my examples (Hogs/Die 4) are not.  I wonder if that will make a difference.
Lots of R-rated action movies do very well, of course, but...the Expendables does look like warmed-over garbage.   Hmmmm.

Not changing my vote, and I don't think the olds look at ratings too much, but if early word is that it's too scary for them, it might hurt the back end of the vote.

The opening will still CRUSH Pilgrim, though!

Crush!
Salmon

sh...@onceuponageek.com

Jul 30, 2010, 3:08:38 PM7/30/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
I agree with most of Ravenface's points.

I think Expendables will open higher than Scott Pilgrim and will have higher overall gross.  However, I imagine Scott Pilgrim will score higher on Rotten Tomatoes.

I guess I'm a vapid olds.

sh...@onceuponageek.com

Jul 30, 2010, 3:09:47 PM7/30/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
Just a thought, Expendables seems to have somewhat the same promotional vibe as Topic Thunder.  Perhaps that might reveal some forecasts for profit.

Scott Hamilton

Jul 30, 2010, 3:42:52 PM7/30/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 3:09 PM, <sh...@onceuponageek.com> wrote:
Just a thought, Expendables seems to have somewhat the same promotional vibe as Topic Thunder.  Perhaps that might reveal some forecasts for profit.

Except the Expendables isn't a comedy, and doesn't star anybody who's had a hit in the last decade.

Just to be clear, insane casting aside, The Expendables isn't a parody of crappy action movies. It's a crappy action movie. It's impressive that they got just about every action star of a stature greater than Richard Norton to be in the film, but Stallone is clear he's playing it straight.

Michael Bailey

Jul 30, 2010, 4:28:45 PM7/30/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
But, Shag...Eric Roberts is in The Expendables.  Doesn't that mean that you can't legally see it?

This post/e-mail was written by Michael Bailey, Superman Apologist

BossHog

Jul 30, 2010, 4:41:25 PM7/30/10
to The Unique Geek
So now that I have a ruling... I will finally have a contest I can
beat Raven in....

1) Which will have a larger opening box office total: Expendables or
Scott Pilgrim?
Scott (I am having faith in mankind... that is my first mistake)

2) Which will have a higher total after three weeks?
Scott (This banks on the fact that the word of mouth for SPvTW - is
currently very good and will build)

3) Which one will have a higher score ON Rotten Tomatoes?
Scott - BANK ON THIS ONE!!!

rave...@aol.com

Jul 30, 2010, 4:47:10 PM7/30/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
With you there.  It's a total gimmick and one that could backfire.  It's a racist, boring trailer.  But...the olds lose all taste and perception after they get to a certain age.  They see someone they used to know on a poster and they go see them.  It makes them feel like they still have hair, freedom, etc.

Bruce Willis has had a hit recently, but Stallone's last few have underperformed (though Rambo 4 was kind of cool.  He was like Jason or Leatherface in that movie)

Shag, I think comparing it to Tropic Thunder is like saying Scream 3 had a similar campaign to Scary Movie.  The comparison Scott made to Snakes On a Plane is closest.  Like, that was a movie everyone thought was going to be an hilarious parody of thriller/stunt movies, and it was a serious one (and sucked).  This doesn't look funny, it looks like it's trying to be funny, and it's going to suck.  The trailer stinks!

And yet....It will CLOBBER Scott Pilgrim!

Clobber!
Simon

Jul 31, 2010, 4:41:11 PM7/31/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
So I made the mistake of not crediting Scott Hamilton for initally sending this video link my way....apologies!  (It seems to me that I'm a total glory hound).  In fact, while I'm confessing, I've posted many other things that Scott has sent my way sans credit.  Now that he's on the list, I'm totally busted.  Time to find another geek list.... :)  FYI: Scott is far cooler than I am.
Thanks for the link (among others) Scott!
Jen

Jason Service

Aug 2, 2010, 2:24:38 PM8/2/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
Ok, this is how Serv sees it:

1) Which will have a larger opening box office total: Expendables or
Scott Pilgrim?
Expendables

2) Which will have a higher total after three weeks?
Scott Pilgrim

3) Which one will have a higher score ON Rotten Tomatoes?
Scott Pilgrim

I agree with the Raven that Expendables will beat SPvTW on opening weekend, but as word gets around about how bad EXP is, the cash flow will dry up allowing SPvTW (who should be getting good 'underground' word of mouth) to leap ahead by week 3. With respect to Rotten Tomatoes, the only reason why EXP hasn't gotten a greasy stain yet is because it isn't out yet. People can't wait to blast it. After they have dropped $8 at the box office to get in...

All of that being said, i would go see EXP before SPvTW. I am old. I miss my hair long. I miss my action heroes saying things like 'yippy-ki-yay MotherFucker' and "I must break you" and "If it bleeds we can kill it".

I suspect that i will like SPvTW better, but there is just something dynamic about the cast assemblage for Expendables.

Go Raa Rams!

Jennifer Walker

Aug 13, 2010, 9:02:13 AM8/13/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
Considering this recent convo (and being someone who is interested in neither movie), I found today's Bleeding Cool article to be quite interesting...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/08/13/scott-pilgrim-hits-today-but-tracking-is-down/
--
Jennifer "Scraps" Walker
Queen of the Helper Monkeys

Better living through creativity... and cocktails!
http://www.scrapsoflife.com/blog

sh...@onceuponageek.com

Aug 13, 2010, 11:59:24 AM8/13/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
This article makes the points I've been thinking.  While geeks everywhere will see this movie, there are not enough "not we" to produce the necessary revenue to be a blockbuster.

rave...@aol.com

Aug 13, 2010, 1:54:35 PM8/13/10
to theuni...@googlegroups.com
Soon, I will feast on your bones!  Even now the numbers are trickling in!  Even now your fate approacheth its grim and certain conclusion!

Blind fools are a raven's feast!

I do regret my reviews vote, though.  I was saying from the start the movie would be bad, and I just got excited.  Still, I think my 2 out of 3 will beat most of you.