Off the hook alert

Rob Milburn

Nov 25, 2009, 2:18:04 PM11/25/09
to theatre-s...@googlegroups.com, Rob Milburn
Hello All,

We received this in the rehearsal notes on a production of AMERICAN BUFFALO we are working on:

Sound: The Director would like a sound cue of the tone you get when you pick up the phone but don’t dial followed by the operator’s voice saying “If you’d like to make a call...” or whatever would have been the announcement would have been in 1975

Anyone remember if there was an announcement in 1975 - or was it just the alert (perhaps Sir Paul's inspiration for HELTER SKELTER?)?

We have the audio files for each but are interested in the historical accuracy.

Many thanks,

Rob Milburn
Milburn/Bodeen Music & Sound Design

John Leonard

Nov 25, 2009, 2:22:13 PM11/25/09
to theatre-s...@googlegroups.com
Your best resource is here:

http://atcaonline.com/

Someone there should be able to supply the info you need.

Regards,

John

RickB

Nov 25, 2009, 9:03:25 PM11/25/09
to theatre-sound
This site has all kinds of phone messages.

http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html

--

Richard Bakos

President

Studio One Inc.

25833 State Road 2

South Bend, In 46619-4736

VOICE 574-232-9084

FAX 574-232-2220

Ri...@StudioOneSB.com

www.StudioOnesb.com

Ray Gibson

Nov 27, 2009, 2:52:33 AM11/27/09
to theatre-s...@googlegroups.com
No clue about historical accuracy, but while we're on the subject
here's a wonderful archive of recordings of many of the original
announcements:

http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html

I have caller ID routing through my phone system at work, and I
typically send persistent unsolicited numbers
*cough*billcollectors*cough* to the "We're sorry, you have reached a
number that is disconnected or no longer in service..."

Good luck,

RG