Restoring The Textbook To Our Leader's God Given Vision

1 view

rv.ros...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2009, 3:42:47 PM6/8/09
to The Science of Celestial Being
Some new readers do not realize
that the textbook is not presented exactly as
Mrs. Eddy left it for all humanity. Certainly among my
greatest hopes is that all publishers will be able
one day to publish it *faithfully*, in order that it be
available every whit whole as our Leader in 1910,
intended.

To explain, the unaltered textbook of
the Christian Science textbook as revealed to Mary
Baker Eddy should have retained,
the Cross and Crown in the center *with* the *individual*
branches on the cover, (some books now have the
Cross and Crown in the center largely we have been
told due to our posts about this on Christian Science
Issues 2), but the *individual* branches on the cover,
may only be found on original editions and
on those published today without the cross and crown in the
center due to illegal trade law, (According to The
Compendium Mrs. Eddy *never* put a trademark on the
Cross and Crown. The illegal trademark, meaning not
implemented by Mrs. Eddy, was issued in 1917, seven years
after Mary Baker Eddy completed her work here, and
at a time I believe when her name was still banished
from the Church Manual as our Pastor Emeritus. A picture
of the *individual* branches on the textbook cover as
Mrs. Eddy designed is available at the bookmark.com on a
beautiful edition published by Ann Beals,

http://thebookmark.com/index.php?file=bookdetail&ibook_id=96 ].

What also should have been retained was having
the title of the book and name of its author on the
book's spine.

On the book's closing page in the chapter, "Fruitage", should have
retained the original order of testimonies, -- the *last*
one being the one *specifically designated* by
Mary Baker Eddy, herself, and which is currently erroneously
positioned *second* from last.

It is written by a Mrs. H.S.C. of Seattle, Wash.

This testimony is exceedingly significant and is so in consonance
with the tone of the entire book. It is the only testimony
to open with a Bible citation,

"Thy word *is* a lamp unto my feet, and a light
unto my path." Psalms 119:105.

The last sentence in the testimony advises that
the testifier has found that by "careful and
prayerful study" of the book, that she has been
"lifted from sickness to health, from sorrow
to peace, from lack to plenty, and the most
beautiful of all, from darkness to light."

It is significant that the last sentence of this
testimony, whose specific place was mandated by
Mrs. Eddy, end with the word, "light".

Each reader who similarly approaches the book as
the testifier did with "careful and prayerful study" may
also expect to be lifted to a clearer and improved sense
of Truth's eternal day, Truth's *light*.

This is so in concert with the very opening of
Science and Health, as on the very first page,
the Preface, reveals the "wakeful" shepherd beholding
the "first faint morning beams", following the
darkness of night - those morning beams that
inescapably bring forth "the full radiance of
a risen day". With the restoration of the testimony
designated by Mrs. Eddy, we would then have the
book opening with the dawning of the morning beams
bringing forth a risen day and the last page in concert
revealing a reader whose thought has been lifted into
the *light* from the "careful and prayerful" study of the
book. This is *wholly* in tune with Mary Baker Eddy's
intention and designated direction in contrast with
the changed placement of testimonies currently found in
all Boston publications. Currently the last testimony
given is a very fine testimony, *but*, anyone may observe
that it ends with a more tentative tone, viz. with the reader
expressing
gratitude for progressing only just "a little
way in the knowledge of God, good...". It does *not* give
forth that stronger finish that Mrs. Eddy had in Mind and
not in the manner in which she instructed and designated to
her publishers.

Also, Mrs. Eddy instructed and mandated that the testimonies
presented on the last page of the Christian Science textbook
together *fill the entire page". With the original, unaltered
page of Science and Health With Key To The Scriptures, we are
given an *entire* page, *completely* filled with print and
representative of both the male perspective from
C. B., of Webb City, Mo. (Very appropriate that these truths
be revealed on the worldwide web!), and the female
perspective as given by Mrs. H. S. C., of Seattle, Wash.

Here is *how* that final, "place designated by Mrs. Eddy"
last testimony which is currently *misplaced* on page 698,
reads, as found in authentic 1910 copies - even Boston will
not deny this, although they may or may not verify, but from
personal experience, they will not deny the truth.

* * * *

700 SCIENCE AND HEALTH

class of literature extensively, and had no desire for
anything of a religious nature, the orthodox teaching
never having appealed to me as a rational exposition of
an all-wise God. I now have no more doubt of the truth
of the teaching of the great Way-shower, Jesus of Naza-
reth, than I doubt the correctness of the basic law of
mathematics or music. I have no doubt whatever that
Christian Science saved me from the grave, and thus
proved a most practicable and efficient help in time of
greatest need. However great my physical suffering has
been, I can but feel glad that through it the door of con-
sciousness was opened to let in the light of Truth. Thus
I have progressed a little way in the knowledge of God,
good, as revealed in Christian Science. -- C. B., Webb
City, Mo.

A Grateful testimony

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto
my path."

This has been proven to me in every way. When
Christian Science came to me, I was a wreck, physically,
mentally, and financially; but since the reading of Sci-
ence and Health turned my thought toward the light, I
have found that, as far as I am willing to receive the word
and live it, all comforts are supplied me. I am especially
grateful for the spiritual help. I know that things which
I did and thought last year I would not do or think this
year, and am satisfied. Through the careful and prayer-
ful study of Science and Health I have been lifted from
sickness to health, from sorrow to peace, from lack to
plenty, and, the most beautiful of all, from darkness to
light.-- Mrs. H. S. C., Seattle, Wash.

* * * *

We know that nothing escaped Mrs. Eddy. And not, I think,
even the following.

It was a revelation to me a few years ago, after reading
the many biographies of Mary Baker Eddy that I have so enjoyed,
when I noticed that the very last word of the *unaltered* book,
ostensibly presents the location of the testifier, (that being
the state of Washington and abbreviated in the text as "Wash".)
Yet, I noticed on another level that this abbreviation also
spells out the very nickname of Mary Baker Eddy's beloved
first husband, George Washington Glover. The very first
edition of Science and Health gave our Leader's name as
she used it then, -- Mary Baker Glover. "Wash" happened to be
the nickname of George Washington Glover as given to him by his
Masonic brethren.

How sweet this is, I thought, at my recognition of this very
*sweet* coincidence. This testimony which was required by
Mrs. Eddy to be the last testimony simply works on so many
levels!

This testimony *is* shown in its correct place in the
1910 edition, whose text, but not the cover due to
erroneous trademark laws , is unaltered and
is presently available at the bookmark,

http://thebookmark.com/index.php?file=bookdetail&ibook_id=98

and for about three dollars less from Healing Unlimited

http://www.christianscience.org/Publications.htm (scroll
down a little to see a picture of the same book),

and for about the same price from Aequus,
http://aequus.org/books.html

It is in respect of Mary Baker Eddy's intent, vision,
and direction for her book that we see fit to occasionally
re report our findings.

Sincerely,

Paula