The Guide V3

MaBe

Jan 6, 2010, 1:50:46 PM1/6/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi,

I'm Maurice Beelen, together with MD I'm working on the new version of
The Guide. Some details:
* Available for Windows and Linux
* Build on Qt
* Export HTML
* Export RTF ?
* Print correct
* Tables
* Import GDE-files
* Export GDE-files.
* Tabbed pages to allow multiple documents available simultaneous.

But of course there will be much more. Please let me know your ideas.

To increase the quality of The Guide before releasing it to the
community, I'm looking for volunteer testers.

Best regards,

Maurice

Taiwan

Jan 6, 2010, 10:44:11 PM1/6/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi BaBe

What about
1. backup location can be changed to different disks.
2. the file size can be reasonably controlled if some photos embedded.
3. support this type hyperlink //someone_PC_name/share_folder_name/

Thanks

Antonio C.

Jan 6, 2010, 10:50:40 PM1/6/10
to the-guide-...@googlegroups.com
Hi BaBe,

What about
1. users can chose the backup file location
2. support this type hyperlink   //PC_NAME/ShareFolder
3. control the file size if some photo embedded.

Have a nice day
AC

gest

Jan 7, 2010, 2:11:38 AM1/7/10
to The Guide Users Group
CHM Export!

dsajose

Jan 7, 2010, 3:58:16 AM1/7/10
to The Guide Users Group
hi,

I would suggest that the guide was multi language, I could help the
Spanish with the local language school. greeting...

Ron Tarrant

Jan 7, 2010, 3:44:50 AM1/7/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi Maurice,

I'm glad to see The Guide getting an update. I use it a lot.

How about:

1) a way to use my own set of icons (load a set or individual icons;
maybe even save a set if they can be loaded individually)
2) pin the latest-used fonts (last two or three) to the top of the
drop-down list to avoid a lot of scrolling

-Ron T.

gest

Jan 7, 2010, 4:50:20 AM1/7/10
to The Guide Users Group
In line with Ron's comment:

I also would like to see functionality to make it easier to keep your
markup consistent accross nodes.
For example, by providing a dropdown with styles (header1, header2).

booker

Jan 7, 2010, 9:00:34 AM1/7/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi Maurice,

That sounds like a late christmas gift!

I could do some testings; for an multi language version I could do
the German version.

Thanks in advance and happy coding ;-)

Michael

Sam Azar

Jan 7, 2010, 1:57:40 PM1/7/10
to the-guide-...@googlegroups.com
Please DO "NOT" Complicate too much.
The more you add features, the less functional is the program.
Just consider the "most" important (or "indispensable") features

Congratulations & thanks in advance for your effort

> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:50:46 -0800
> Subject: [gug] The Guide V3
> From: maurice...@gmail.com
> To: the-guide-...@googlegroups.com

Get Windows 7 for only $39.99-CDN College or University students only. This offer ends Jan 3-upgrade now!

MaBe

Jan 13, 2010, 6:01:50 PM1/13/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi Ron,

I understand your remarks, especially remark 2 it increases
productivity. Great.

I Understand you're from Quebec. Are you Francophone and willing to do
some translation might that be an issue?

Best regards,

Maurice

MaBe

Jan 13, 2010, 6:04:24 PM1/13/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hy dsajose,

Globalization is some point of attention. Do I understand it correctly
that you're voluntaring for translating the application in to Spanish?

Regards,

Maurice

MaBe

Jan 13, 2010, 6:13:28 PM1/13/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi Sam,

I agree, keep in mind, it's an inventarisation not a promise. for
development we want to keep it simple as well :-). Well let's see
where the flow will take us. Do you have a specific (simple) use of
application?

Best regards,

Maurice

On 7 jan, 19:57, Sam Azar <sama...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Please DO "NOT" Complicate too much.
>
> The more you add features, the less functional is the program.
>
> Just consider the "most" important (or "indispensable") features
>
> Congratulations & thanks in advance for your effort
>

> > Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:50:46 -0800
> > Subject: [gug] The Guide V3

> > From: maurice.bee...@gmail.com

> > To: the-guide-...@googlegroups.com
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm Maurice Beelen, together with MD I'm working on the new version of
> > The Guide. Some details:
> > * Available for Windows and Linux
> > * Build on Qt
> > * Export HTML
> > * Export RTF ?
> > * Print correct
> > * Tables
> > * Import GDE-files
> > * Export GDE-files.
> > * Tabbed pages to allow multiple documents available simultaneous.
>
> > But of course there will be much more. Please let me know your ideas.
>
> > To increase the quality of The Guide before releasing it to the
> > community, I'm looking for volunteer testers.
>
> > Best regards,
>
> > Maurice

> Eligible CDN College & University students can upgrade to Windows 7 before Jan 3 for only $39.99. Upgrade now!http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9691819

MaBe

Jan 13, 2010, 6:10:23 PM1/13/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi Booker,

Great, collaboration, especially on translations. We're doing an
inventarisation right now, and developing a new version from "scratch"
takes some time, especially when it's done in spare time. But I'm
confident and encouraged by the reactions. Du hörst noch von uns :-)"

Best regards, Schöne Grüße,

Maurice

MaBe

Jan 13, 2010, 5:58:53 PM1/13/10
to The Guide Users Group
Agree completely. Makes work easier, just like having the
functionality to copy/paste markup.

MaBe

Jan 13, 2010, 5:40:46 PM1/13/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi Taiwan,

Your remarks are clear except the second, what would you like?
Something like in Word where you can compress/strip images?

Regards,

Maurice

Antonio C.

Jan 14, 2010, 12:18:49 AM1/14/10
to the-guide-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Babe,

If you try to insert a photo from Word or somewhere, the size of gde
file would increase too much compared to the original size of photo. I
know the root cause is The Guide doesn't compress the photo when they
are saved in gde file.

--
Antonio Chang 張佑全
\,`/ / 。。。

valentin

Jan 14, 2010, 2:56:57 AM1/14/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi Maurice,

i'd like to forward and backward buttons for visited pages and multi-
level Undo.

Thanks and best regards,

Valentin

Ron Tarrant

Jan 14, 2010, 4:05:53 AM1/14/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi Maurice,

I haven't updated my profile in a while; I've since moved back to
Ontario.

I'm don't know enough French to help out with that. Quebec was great
as far as the people were concerned, but the government is... let's
say "not as easy to get along with." So we moved.

I guess I'd better take a look at my profile. :-)

-Ron T.

BloB

Jan 14, 2010, 8:40:42 AM1/14/10
to The Guide Users Group
i would be happy to betatest Guide 3.0 please let me know how?

thanks and keep up the good work!
Blob

Sabot

Jan 14, 2010, 4:55:24 PM1/14/10
to The Guide Users Group
Excellent news that you decided to get back to work on this tool, even
happier to see it multiplatform.

As per format, I think it would be great idea to dich rtf in favour of
text based format like html. This way you could have one css template
per file, which would allow to change style globally, so you wont have
to make changes to every single page within file if you decide to
change font face, size, colours and so on. It would allow for images
as well without mentioned above problem with compression.

File could be zip compressed, much like new excel and word formats
(xlsx and docx) where you have xml files encapsulated in single file.

Proposed structure within file:

* documents
* images
* styles
document_tree.xml

On second thought, this could be make to easily publish file on the
web by simply uncompresing and uploading to web server, heck, this
could be made straight from the app, enter ftp details, password and
voila.

On third thought, having hyperlinks, this could be made as wiki, have
whole document interlinked with proper Table of contents as index
page.

Let me know what you think, I got excited already =)

Thanks for the work and sorry for my crappy English.

Astaroth

Jan 14, 2010, 2:25:32 PM1/14/10
to The Guide Users Group
This sounds amazing! I just picked up the Guide, and I love it! A bit
limited in functionality at the moment, but with only TWO programmers,
who can complain? I'm especially excited about style support, table
support (awesome!), and html exporting. The Guide is just perfect for
a rather large scale project I'm working on. Keep up the great work!

By the way: I'm not a prorgammer, but if MD or MaBe can come up with
any other ways for me to help, just let me know! I can definitely
understand not having spare time...

MaBe

Jan 15, 2010, 4:42:35 PM1/15/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi Sabot,

Thanks for your input and excitement, so let me give you an open and
honest response.

The format is one important issue we are looking into right now, as it
the base of the app. Docx-like or ODF are valid options. Publication
to a webserver sounds great, but can be done indirectly, which puts it
right now on a lower priority from a development point of view. Links
and tagging sounds good and was to some extend already in V2 and
allows good navigation. I've heard the idea of alternate flows through
pages as well, so, yeah existing AND out-of-the-box ideas about
navigation are welcome.

Regarding your English, as most of the people we both are not native
English speaking. As long as we understand each other, or at least try
to, and respect the effort people are putting into good communication
we're going the right way.

Again thanks for your thoughts as you are the only one who can share
them,

Maurice

MaBe

Jan 15, 2010, 4:48:15 PM1/15/10
to The Guide Users Group
HI Astaroth,

As far as I know MD was the only developer on the V2. But the result
made me enthusiast to help it get a step further.

Thanks for volunteering, your name is noted. :-)

Best regards,

Maurice

blueboy

Jan 17, 2010, 7:12:23 PM1/17/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hello All,
Well i'm happy V3 dev is now starting. As you seem to welcome ideas,
I'd like to share mine:
(1) The guide is a tree-based note editor > It would benefit from
having tabs too, allowing multiple docs to be open (just like
actionOutline).
(2) Would be very nice to embed images, or thumbnails that link to
images > (at the moment I believe you can only insert image objects,
that open an image in it's default app).
(3) Formatting templates would be great (styles for markup)... Also
syntax highlight definition would also make The Guide very appealing
to coders.
(4) Import & Export of Firefox bookmarks... this would be really
great; to have a guide file of my bookmarks, that is easy to group
into nodes, add tags.
(2)(3)(4) really show the type of data that people organise > Text,
Images, Code, Internet Links...

There are other apps for organising info, which have some nice
features, which if you are doing a rewrite, might be worth
considering.
(1) Evernote > It's strong point is storing it's data securely in the
cloud. > This can be done easily by saving your data to a DropBox
account...
(2) OneNote > It's strong points are data containers: Pages, Sections,
Section Groups, Workbooks... Store & display any info: text, images,
audio, links etc... Good hyperlinking to pages
(3) CintaNotes > A small programs with a punch > compact (just like
The Guide). Other strong features: tag pane & search. Almost perfect,
just lacking tabs for multiple docs, & image ebedding & internal
hyperlinks.
(4) ActionOutline > Compact & slick (very similar to The Guide), but
not free. It has tabs, but lacks inserting images (not the same as
object embedding).

Anyway, just a few thoughts...

CrankyMonkey

Jan 18, 2010, 5:49:49 PM1/18/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi Maurice

I searched far and wide to find this exact software as freeware
somewhere. Thanks to all involved for your effort to make this
software.

There was mention of this being made available on the Mac. Is that
still a possibility. I would benefit from being able to use it on both
operating systems, so would be more than happy to assist with testing
of both PC and Mac versions. If Mac if off the cards, I would be happy
to assist with PC only if you are still after testers.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Dave

CrankyMonkey

Jan 18, 2010, 5:52:16 PM1/18/10
to The Guide Users Group
I agree with not over complicating it. One of the big draw cards with
this software was its simplicity. Particularly the two pane user
interface. I don't think it should be made more complicated than that.

On Jan 8, 5:57 am, Sam Azar <sama...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Please DO "NOT" Complicate too much.
>
> The more you add features, the less functional is the program.
>
> Just consider the "most" important (or "indispensable") features
>
> Congratulations & thanks in advance for your effort
>

> > Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:50:46 -0800
> > Subject: [gug] The Guide V3

> > From: maurice.bee...@gmail.com

> > To: the-guide-...@googlegroups.com
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm Maurice Beelen, together with MD I'm working on the new version of
> > The Guide. Some details:
> > * Available for Windows and Linux
> > * Build on Qt
> > * Export HTML
> > * Export RTF ?
> > * Print correct
> > * Tables
> > * Import GDE-files
> > * Export GDE-files.
> > * Tabbed pages to allow multiple documents available simultaneous.
>
> > But of course there will be much more. Please let me know your ideas.
>
> > To increase the quality of The Guide before releasing it to the
> > community, I'm looking for volunteer testers.
>
> > Best regards,
>
> > Maurice

CrankyMonkey

Jan 18, 2010, 5:54:28 PM1/18/10
to The Guide Users Group
I disagree with having fancy file formats, like compressed ones. I
would like to be able to recover data by opening the file in a plain
text editor if required. (Like I can do with the current format)

MaBe

Jan 19, 2010, 11:12:37 AM1/19/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi CrankyMonkey,

The new version is based on a graphical platform (Qt) which allows
releasing it to Mac as well. Unfortunately the current development
team has no access to a Mac, I hope to have this solve in the near
future. Any volunteers? Skills you need to have is know how to build
software applications and familiarity with Qt is a nice.

I've registered you as tester.

Thanks.

On 18 jan, 23:49, CrankyMonkey <d...@candlestoneproductions.com>

CrankyMonkey

Jan 19, 2010, 4:37:08 PM1/19/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi MaBe

I have had a small amount of experience building some very basic
software on my Mac. I could have a go at it if you would like.

Cheers

Sam Azar

Jan 19, 2010, 6:04:27 PM1/19/10
to the-guide-...@googlegroups.com
There is one similar program (not freeware, but dirt cheap) that I have been
using with complete satisfation since ab. 15 years.
It is called "NoteCenter".
It lacks many features (in particular, cannot format characters, cannot
embed images, does not have Tabs etc...)
What made me keep and use it extensively was its SIMPLICITY AND EASE OF USE:
- Very easy to manage the hierarchical structure of children & parents in
the left pane (Horizontally & vertically). This is not now the case for the
Guide
- plus of course export to html and "save as encrypted"

So we must always keep in mind the simplicity and ease of use of a program
before starting to add features that do not correspond to the basic goal of
the software which is to create quicky "an Outline" out of notes and ideas

phil

Jan 21, 2010, 4:36:20 PM1/21/10
to The Guide Users Group
One of the best features of the current (2.0) version is it's
portablity. The fact the current GDE file format only supports simples
rich-text formatting ensures that the files are small enough to load
up fast from removable media (USB flash-sticks) and are fast to copy &
backup.

What you propose to add does sound good, but I wonder if it will make
files too big. Version 3.0 features would make it a lot like
"TreeDBnotes". It's quite good, but the files end up becoming huge;
much too big for rapid loading & transfers between removable media.
After having used "the Guide" to commence writing a novel, I switched
to "TreeDBnotes", only to switch back again after several weeks
because the "the Guide" is so much faster & responsive.

With that in mind, perhaps it would be a good idea to have a new file-
format for data that contains more than text & also retain the old
format as a standard option (with appropriate warnings that non-text
shouldn't be pasted in when opting to use thar format). That way, if
you did add window-tabs for opening multiple files the app could
display both types simultaneously, allowing the best of both worlds.

All that aside, top of my wish-list =
"paste as plain text" option
...currently I have to use notepad first and then cut & paste that
into "the Guide".

And integration with some sort of spell-checker would be nice too.

cheers,
- phil

Sam Azar

Jan 21, 2010, 11:19:28 PM1/21/10
to the-guide-...@googlegroups.com
I agree fully that portability is essential

Jan 22, 2010, 2:14:43 AM1/22/10
to The Guide Users Group
The Guide is nearly perfect, but i would wish:

* Drag and Drop / Copy and Paste between two GDE-Files
* Integration of the Icon-Selector-Window in the Main Toolbar
* Possibility to attach Files with relativ/absolute path to an note
(so i can use The Guide as Document Management Software, the Link-
Feature isn't so perfect for this purpose now)
* Tagging of Notes, Formating of the Node depending on the Tag (E.g.
Put an Red-Dot-Icon on all notes with the Tag "ToDo")
* Filter Views depending on the Tags ("Show me only notes with the Tag
"ToDo")
* Templates for Notes

I would prefere an Plain-Text File-Format, too, because i can now
index GDE-Files with any Desktop Search Engine (e.g. DocFetcher)
without any additional Plugin.

Good job, keep on.

Mahadevan R

Jan 22, 2010, 2:23:29 AM1/22/10
to the-guide-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 3:06 AM, phil <forgetf...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> All that aside, top of my wish-list =
> "paste as plain text" option
> ...currently I have to use notepad first and then cut & paste that
> into "the Guide".

Edit -> Paste As Text, shortcut Ctrl+Shift+V.

Regards,
-MD.

phil

Feb 3, 2010, 2:19:45 PM2/3/10
to The Guide Users Group
Thanks for that!
Wow! How did you add an extra feature to my copy of the program when
I wasn't even connected to the internet? Magic! Voodoo! A miracle! If
only I had wished for a million bucks instead....
Seriously though, thanks. I didn't know that. I've now discovered
there's a few other keyboard shortcuts not listed within the program's
inbuilt help.

But returning to the topic of the thread; there's another program
(recently listed over at http://www.portablefreeware.com) called
"KeepNote" that sounds a bit similar to the cross-platform ambitions
of a new version of the guide. I've given it a bit of a try. It does
a good job of exporting notes to HTML pages (including the actual note-
tree as a navigation frame) and is very easy to understand & use. But
it's NOT genuinely portable (as it leaves behind a bit of junk in the
host machine's registry). Nor does it do a very clean job of pasting
clipboard snatches of webpage text or rich text from other apps. It's
got good potential though. If anybody does continue to develop a new
version of the "Guide" it might be a good idea to ask collaborative
assistance from the developer of "KeepNote".

cheers,
- phil.

BikeMike

Feb 8, 2010, 11:53:52 PM2/8/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi Maurice,

It is good to hear that someone will continue development of The
Guide. I have been using it for around a year, both at work and at
home. It does probably 90% of what I need, with just a few
improvements it would be ideal for me. I am happy to be a beta tester
for anything you produce.

My suggested improvements...
Reduce size of images. If I paste an image (eg. screenshot) it
dramatically increases the size of my guide data file. The size
increase is far more than the size of the image, it seems as if it's
saving the image data in "bitmap" format which is very inefficient.
When exporting to RTF, the images are not included.
When printing, the images are not included.

A tabbed interface would be useful to allow multiple documents open at
once.
Also the ability to cut/copy/paste nodes between guide documents.

More choice of icons, or ability to import your own icons would be
nice.

A quicker way to create hyperlinks (eg. copy/paste from web browser,
or copy/paste a file).
When creating a hyperlink manually, default the text from the link
instead of typing it twice.

Kind Regards,
Mike

mich-a-billy

Feb 19, 2010, 3:39:56 PM2/19/10
to The Guide Users Group
When can we expect to see a beta of this new version?

MaBe

Feb 19, 2010, 6:32:33 PM2/19/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi "mich-a-billy",

A good question which deserves a fair answer.

Although things are speeding up :-), it may take a few months before I
have something I want to share with the community :-( . At the moment
work is done at foundation level. and some basic stuff above.
Comparing to V2 a step back, so that's why sharing it with you all
will take some time. (fortunately somebody is taking up V2 as well).

A risk of providing a too-early release is that people, even when
warned, used it as a final version and get frustrated by
incompatibilities over the versions. Because the file format is not
finalized yet, it's too big a risk. The file format itself should be
ready for 80% within this sprint (ending 7 mar). After that it might
be possible to give some people a chance in providing feedback.

Best regards,

Maurice

Emre Ayca

Feb 23, 2010, 11:14:53 AM2/23/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your efforts in extending The Guide to V3 (and to all
platforms with QT)

Please would you keep in mind that it is a beloved application not
only used by coders, or engineers but also social scientists as
well? :) Please do not ditch RTF format, would you:)

Thanks for all your efforts in keeping The Guide going

Emre Ayca

Snaky Love

Feb 25, 2010, 9:01:24 AM2/25/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi,

I just found The Guide recently, as I was looking for some replacement
for some old Notes-Mini-Application I was using.

Having everything in one place is great - it saves many context
switches while documenting things - if I just want to paste some stuff
anywhere it is a real shortcut not to have to search for the Text-file
with the appropriate notes I made before, instead having everything in
place immediately - I was surprised, how this helps to keep focused!

So very nice to see, that developmnet is going on. QT is a great
choice, so we can use our Guides on Linux :)

My wishes:

SYNTAX COLORING
I am using the guide extensively for collecting code snippets - having
syntax highlighting for Python, Java, PHP, CSS, Javascript, HTML and
many more would be great - maybe you can "streal" from the scintilla
editor?

WIKI EXPORT
Even greater would be a facility to export to WIKI - I like http://dokuwiki.org
- but many other WIKI Markup Languages should be possible - realizing
this as something pluggable could open the doors to contributions.

ENCRYPTION
More easy to realize if you "steal" some code from http://keepass.info
to add encryption ???

EXTENSIBILITY
Yes, some plugin system would be great, so others can add features and
ideas.

I would like to beta test!

Thanks for your attention,
have a nice day!

Snaky

BikeMike

Mar 1, 2010, 11:30:22 PM3/1/10
to The Guide Users Group
Regarding the file format, RTF editing, inserting images and the large
files that result...

I have one guide with some screenshots (about 30 mostly cut-down
partial screens) that is now 25Mb+ in size. I am consciously limiting
the number of screenshots I include, when I'd rather not have to worry
about this. If I included more screenshots I'd easily have a 100Mb+
file! This is mainly a problem because they are stored on on flash
drives or network storage which limits the read/write speed.

However if I zip the 25Mb file, the compression ratio is 97% and the
file is only 700Kb. So perhaps inbuilt zip compression should be
considered for the files? (like http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/docx).

Still need to fix the exporting/printing of images though...

Regards,
Mike

BikeMike

Mar 1, 2010, 8:09:11 PM3/1/10
to The Guide Users Group
Hi Snaky,

re:

> ENCRYPTION
> More easy to realize if you "steal" some code from http://keepass.info
> to add encryption ???

I may be in the minority here, but I disagree with including
encryption in a program like this. Encryption is hard to do well, even
if you use a known and proven algorithm. This would take significant
time away from development of the core code. And if not done securely
(and who would know if not independently tested by experts) then it
just gives you a false sense of security. It is better to entrust your
secure documents to a secure encrypted file system that has been tried
and tested (for example, TrueCrypt which I use).
http://www.schneier.com/essay-037.html

KeePass is an exception, it's main purpose is to provide an encrypted
database where other encryption may not be available.

On another topic, I have a couple more suggested improvements...
1. "back" and "forward" buttons for navigation (like windows
explorer), particularly useful when using hyperlinks to another node
in the guide.
2. Ability to choose "Read Only" mode when opening a guide document if
someone else is editing it. (like MS Office)

Kind regards,
Mike

HumblePie

Mar 6, 2010, 11:36:12 AM3/6/10
to The Guide Users Group
Any chance we can get password protection or encryption? Please,
please, please... :)

Gilberto

Mar 8, 2010, 12:45:14 PM3/8/10
to The Guide Users Group
If public The Guide V3 beta release. Send email or post link to try it.

BikeMike

Mar 23, 2010, 2:09:08 AM3/23/10
to The Guide Users Group
Re huge file sizes with images embedded...

I found this link. Although it applies to Word, can we presume the
embedded RTF editor used in The Guide would be doing the same? If so,
can it be turned off either by some similar registry key, or by
changing the code?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224663