Miso Gazpacho

mjk1025

Apr 24, 2007, 7:22:04 PM4/24/07
to The Food Diaries
Hi Everyone,

Here's the recipe for the Miso Gazpacho. This is a recipe that I
improvised right before our Teeny's evening so the measurements are to
my best recollection, thus the "to taste" notations below. As a rule
of thumb, you're shooting toward something subtle, smooth and ever so
slightly sweet (the sweetness should come mostly from the natural
sweetness of the sweet potato):

Ingredients:

- Very small onion of any type (sweeter is better) or 1 shallot
- 1 small to medium sized Japanese Kotobuki sweet potato or any other
white sweet potato, also known as chesnut sweet potato, usually in the
Asian family
- 2 tbp of olive oil
- 1 cup of hot water
- 3-4 tbp Japanese Shosu Miso (which is a mild type) to taste
- 1 tsp of fresh grated ginger
- 1-2 tsp of raw honey to taste
- 1 tsp of fresh squeezed lemon
- 1/4 tsp of salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp of coarse ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tbp of creme fraiche to taste

Method:

- Peel, dice and sautee onion and sweet potato in olive oil until soft
and golden
- Add hot water, dissolve miso by gently stirring, and simmer in low
heat for 10 minutes
- Let cool to room temperature at least or refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Pour in food processor or blender, add all other ingredients at once
(leaving creme fraiche for last), and mix until emulsified (not more
than a minute)

Note: Don't overmix or the creme fraiche will corrogulate and
separate, and it won't be a pretty sight!

Servings: 15 - I served these in mini martini glasses (smaller than a
expresso cup!) with freshly grated coarse black pepper on top and a
sprig of chive sticking out; however, I recommend serving with a sprig
of steamed mini asparagus instead (that way they will have something
to chew on).

Enjoy! Let me know how it comes out for you, and whether you come up
with any enhancements of your own!

Min