UNIFIL AND THE UN

Peter Robinson

Feb 25, 2011, 12:28:32 PM2/25/11
to The Fake Explosives Detector Campaign
Somebody at http://futuremovement.org/forum/showthread.php?p=725586&posted=1#post725586
reminded me that there were reports UNIFIL in Lebanon using magic wand
swvivelling aerial detectors.

UN Global Compact appears to be a set up for the promotion of the
UNHCR and its application, so as my mail says, I reckon there are
Human Rights aspects to the fake detectors business.

So I have written to the main people on the UN Global Compact website
asking for their input. here's the text of my email:

We believe that the following case is clearly in breach of at least
the Business aspects of the Covenant, if not much wider Human rights
issues as well, in terms of expectations of public officials in
procurement, and individual rights to reasonable protection.

We hope you will help in our campaign to end the fraudulent trade in
fake explosive detectors, by passing this information on to the
appropriate authorities within the UN.

We hope you will agree that companies bribing officials to buy useless
explosives detectors is a disgusting trade. To quote Lieutenant
Colonel Hal Bildack :

"When they say they are selling you something that will save your son
or daughter on a patrol, they’ve crossed an insupportable line into
moral depravity.”

I refer you to the latest BBC Newsnight investigation here for more
information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxArxIgB9oA&feature=player_embedded

and to the report of the arrest on corruption charges of General al
Jabiri in Iraq,

I specifically request:

1. Is UNIFIL in Lebanon still using a device based on a radio aerial
to detect explsoives? If so, can this be stopped immediately? If not
when and how did UNIFIL come to buy these devices?

2. That the UN via the relevant channels puts out a Worldwide warning
against the use of these devices. Further information can be obtained
fron the City of London Police, or by reply to this email.

Thank you for your interest.
The Fake Explosives Detectors Campaign Group

It went to the following addresses if anyone else wants to follow up:

pow...@un.org,
wynh...@un.org,
chu...@un.org,
global...@un.org,