Tesseract 3.00 Released

Jimmy O'Regan

Sep 30, 2010, 9:21:01 PM9/30/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Tesseract release notes Sep 30 2010 - V3.00
* Preparations for thread safety:
* Changed TessBaseAPI methods to be non-static
* Created a class hierarchy for the directories to hold instance data,
and began moving code into the classes.
* Moved thresholding code to a separate class.
* Added major new page layout analysis module.
* Added HOCR output.
* Added Leptonica as main image I/O and handling. Currently optional,
but in future releases linking with Leptonica will be mandatory.
* Ambiguity table rewritten to allow definite replacements in place
of fix_quotes.
* Added TessdataManager to combine data files into a single file.
* Some dead code deleted.
* VC++6 no longer supported. It can't cope with the use of templates.
* Many more languages added.
* Doxygenation of most of the function header comments.

As well as a number of new languages, bugfixes, and man pages.

Windows binaries will follow shortly.

--
<Leftmost> jimregan, that's because deep inside you, you are evil.
<Leftmost> Also not-so-deep inside you.

Jimmy O'Regan

Sep 30, 2010, 10:27:59 PM9/30/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 1 October 2010 02:21, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As well as a number of new languages, bugfixes, and man pages.
>
> Windows binaries will follow shortly.

3.01 will start to hit the repository later today/tomorrow (I'm not
sure whether to a branch or not). It'll be quite unstable for a while
- Google have been working quite actively on Tesseract - so bear with
us while we pass changes back and forth. Having a set date helped in
getting this release out, so we'll aim for that again (though much
sooner this time).

I'll be writing another mail on this topic on the tesseract-dev list.
If you're the type who'll be following SVN, you might want to at least
lurk there.

So... to finally get some answers to some frequently asked questions:

Q. Are Google actively working on Tesseract?
A. Yes.

Q. Will Tesseract support Arabic?
A. Yes. It's not clear yet whether support will come in 3.01 or not,
but much of the mechanisms will be present.

Q. Can something be done about x-height?
A. 3.01 has completely rewritten, data driven, x-height estimation. I
don't know yet whether or not it's an improvement, but I assume so :)

Q. When will Tesseract 3.00 be released?
A. :)

jinahadam

Sep 30, 2010, 10:39:13 PM9/30/10
to tesseract-ocr
Arabic support would mean support for other right to left languages
too right? that is, if i want to train for another right to left
language, like mine.

My language is RTL, but its not connected script like Arabic. This is
good news :)

Jimmy O'Regan

Oct 1, 2010, 11:35:52 AM10/1/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 1 October 2010 03:39, jinahadam <jina...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Arabic support would mean support for other right to left languages
> too right? that is, if i want to train for another right to left
> language, like mine.
>
> My language is RTL, but its not connected script like Arabic. This is
> good news :)

I think the biggest issue was more that Arabic uses a connected script.

zdenko podobny

Oct 1, 2010, 2:34:45 PM10/1/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 3:21 AM, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Windows binaries are now available on download page [1]. Do not forget to download language file.

Zd.

Jimmy O'Regan

Oct 1, 2010, 3:09:40 PM10/1/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 1 October 2010 19:34, zdenko podobny <zde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Windows binaries are now available on download page [1]. Do not forget to
> download language file.
> Zd.
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/downloads/list

Thanks Zdenko!

Jeffrey Ratcliffe

Oct 1, 2010, 6:09:34 PM10/1/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 1 October 2010 03:21, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tesseract release notes Sep 30 2010 - V3.00

Thanks for this.

The configure and compile steps seem to work without warnings or
errors. I'm having problems linking, though. I've posted the build
log[1]. I'm using Ubuntu Lucid (gcc 4.4.3).

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Regards

Jeff

[1] http://pastebin.com/9gnuKk3A

Jimmy O'Regan

Oct 1, 2010, 6:16:27 PM10/1/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 1 October 2010 23:09, Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jeffrey....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 October 2010 03:21, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tesseract release notes Sep 30 2010 - V3.00
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> The configure and compile steps seem to work without warnings or
> errors. I'm having problems linking, though. I've posted the build
> log[1]. I'm using Ubuntu Lucid (gcc 4.4.3).
>
> Any idea what I am doing wrong?

That is odd. Can you post your config_auto.h?

Jeffrey Ratcliffe

Oct 1, 2010, 6:20:56 PM10/1/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 2 October 2010 00:16, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is odd. Can you post your config_auto.h?

http://pastebin.com/B1xmefev

Thanks for the quick reply

Jeff

Jimmy O'Regan

Oct 1, 2010, 6:31:22 PM10/1/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 1 October 2010 23:20, Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jeffrey....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 October 2010 00:16, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That is odd. Can you post your config_auto.h?
>
> http://pastebin.com/B1xmefev

Ok - first question: are you deliberately building without Leptonica?
At least some of those error messages are mostly my fault - I made the
assumption that anyone who would be building without Leptonica would
also be using --graphics-disabled (that said, that doesn't explain all
of the errors).

If you are, I don't know if I'll be able to get a patch ready for you
before Monday.

If you're not, you'll need libleptonica-dev

> Thanks for the quick reply

np.

Sriranga(77yrsold)

Oct 1, 2010, 11:22:20 PM10/1/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Zdenko,

Downloaded  windows binaries and works fine in WinXP  Congratulations!!!. It would have nice if you had
included  relevant source code like tesseact.sln for VS2008C++ etc for windows platform also.

-Sriranga(78yrsold)

Jimmy O'Regan

Oct 1, 2010, 11:29:00 PM10/1/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 2 October 2010 04:22, Sriranga(77yrsold) <withbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Zdenko,
>
> Downloaded  windows binaries and works fine in WinXP  Congratulations!!!. It
> would have nice if you had
> included  relevant source code like tesseact.sln for VS2008C++ etc for
> windows platform also.

I think the amount of people who want both source and binaries is
pretty low and we can safely assume they won't have a problem
downloading both files, so I don't see any need for it.

tt

Oct 2, 2010, 2:31:34 AM10/2/10
to tesseract-ocr
What about those multi-language recognitions (recognising text in
Lang1 with inclusions of text in Lang2 and in Lang3 etc.)? Right now,
for this to work one has to train for the "pseudo-languages", with
obvious drawbacks in such technique.

If such functionality is being worked on, would you also please
consider adding the weights to the languages in such multi-language
sets? Would be helpful in cases of similar-looking glyphs in different
languages.

zdenko podobny

Oct 2, 2010, 4:48:53 AM10/2/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 5:22 AM, Sriranga(77yrsold) <withbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Zdenko,

Downloaded  windows binaries and works fine in WinXP  Congratulations!!!. It would have nice if you had
included  relevant source code like tesseact.sln for VS2008C++ etc for windows platform also.

Did you try to look at http://tesseract-ocr.googlecode.com/files/tesseract-3.00.tar.gz? (it has label "Tesseract 3.00 source" ;-) )

If you have problem with it, than try svn and revision r498.

Zd.

Sriranga(77yrsold)

Oct 2, 2010, 6:15:47 AM10/2/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Zdenko,
tried to download from the website as suggested and tried to compile in VS2008 but error message disaplayed.
this is brought to your kind notice. . i shall try svn r-498.
BestRegards,
-sriranga(78yrsold)

--
VS2008-error.JPG

Jeffrey Ratcliffe

Oct 2, 2010, 10:57:22 AM10/2/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 2 October 2010 00:31, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok - first question: are you deliberately building without Leptonica?

No. I was starting with my 2.04 build environment and was going to
work from there.

> If you're not, you'll need libleptonica-dev

OK. Added. Still can't link, though. I've posted the build log[1] and
config_auto.h[2].

Thanks for any help

Jeff

[1] http://pastebin.com/ajadLtED
[2] http://pastebin.com/YdzfXb71

Jimmy O'Regan

Oct 2, 2010, 11:22:01 AM10/2/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 2 October 2010 15:57, Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jeffrey....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 October 2010 00:31, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok - first question: are you deliberately building without Leptonica?
>
> No. I was starting with my 2.04 build environment and was going to
> work from there.
>
>> If you're not, you'll need libleptonica-dev
>
> OK. Added. Still can't link, though. I've posted the build log[1] and
> config_auto.h[2].

Ok... is the debian/rules file the same as the one currently in Debian?

Jeffrey Ratcliffe

Oct 2, 2010, 11:26:30 AM10/2/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 2 October 2010 17:22, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok... is the debian/rules file the same as the one currently in Debian?

Yup.

Jimmy O'Regan

Oct 2, 2010, 11:55:23 AM10/2/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com

Aha. Ok, my guess is that it's related to the change to use shared
libraries. I'll stick the debian stuff in a branch on github
(http://github.com/jimregan/tesseract-ocr/tree/debian-3.00) - there
are a few other differences that I can tackle a little quicker (having
made them :), and that's where 3.01 is currently living, so it will
hopefully make that switch a little easier too.

Jeffrey Ratcliffe

Oct 2, 2010, 3:02:28 PM10/2/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 2 October 2010 17:55, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aha. Ok, my guess is that it's related to the change to use shared
> libraries. I'll stick the debian stuff in a branch on github
> (http://github.com/jimregan/tesseract-ocr/tree/debian-3.00) - there
> are a few other differences that I can tackle a little quicker (having
> made them :), and that's where 3.01 is currently living, so it will
> hopefully make that switch a little easier too.

The ./debian stuff you've got there isn't from sid or squeeze - it
looks as though you've got it from lenny. I started with the ./debian
stuff from sid (squeeze is identical in this case)

Regards

Jeff

Jeffrey Ratcliffe

Oct 2, 2010, 3:06:33 PM10/2/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 2 October 2010 21:02, Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jeffrey....@gmail.com> wrote:
> The ./debian stuff you've got there isn't from sid or squeeze - it
> looks as though you've got it from lenny. I started with the ./debian
> stuff from sid (squeeze is identical in this case)

I'm attaching my current ./debian as diff.gz against the base
tesseract-3.00 package.

Regards

Jeff

tesseract_3.00-1.diff.gz

Jimmy O'Regan

Oct 2, 2010, 3:33:45 PM10/2/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com

Doh!

Even still, I think the shared library stuff is the problem.

Sriranga(77yrsold)

Oct 3, 2010, 1:44:17 AM10/3/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Tried with svn r-498  but same problem  tested in VC2008 c++ but failed with error message
Best Regards,
-sriranga(78yrsold)

zdenko podobny

Oct 3, 2010, 6:34:13 AM10/3/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
create issue (http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/issues/list) but first:
1) do svn checkout (not svn update - I have experience from last week that 'svn update' could be tricky in same cases on windows but these problems could depend on user experience ;-) )
2) be sure your VC++ installation is correct.

Zd.

Sriranga(78yrsold)

Oct 3, 2010, 10:34:49 AM10/3/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Zdenko,
Followed your valuable guidance. I downloaded svn checkout in ubuntu 10.04. and then copied to the winxP
folder. In WinXP I generate 18 (7exe and rest dll files) using VS2008 (c++) and was in bin.dbg folder.
tested with phototest.tif and found output was in order.
When tried to generate release version(11 succeeded 7failed), only two files viz. combine_tessdata exe and unicharset_extractor.exe was found. Anyway I happy with debug exe files. This is brought to your kind notice.
thus question of creating issue does not arise.
With warmest Regards,
-sriranga(78yrsold)

Max

Oct 3, 2010, 2:28:42 PM10/3/10
to tesseract-ocr

Sriranga, I've checked in fix for VS2008 release mode compilation
error.

On Oct 3, 7:34 am, "Sriranga(78yrsold)" <withblessi...@gmail.com>

Sriranga(78yrsold)

Oct 4, 2010, 10:37:48 AM10/4/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Dear Max,
Today I downloaded latest version r504 and generated 18 files successfully  without any errors. I found all exe were in bin.dbg folder. When tried to generate release version - only two exe was generated as in previous post.
This time user can locate the exe files at one place.easily. when I tested using phototest.tif  it displayed
error of "leptonlibd.dll missing" So I copied relevant missing file from lib under folder VS2008 and pasted under
main folder.then only everything was perfect in order. This time  missing is release version of exe files.

This is brought to your kind notice.
With Warmest Regards,
-sriranga(78yrsold)

Maxim Markin

Oct 4, 2010, 10:35:29 PM10/4/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reporting this. I've added post build event to copy leptonica to bin folder.

Malky

Oct 4, 2010, 6:36:02 PM10/4/10
to tesseract-ocr
I've compiled tesseract (and it works) but I don't know how to use the
language files from here: https://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/downloads/list

I've unpacked language files into /usr/local/share/tessdata/ but I get
the error message "Error openning data file /usr/local/share/tessdata/
english.traineddata" (or any other language) if I use the -l option
even for english. I've tried different language files and the message
was the same (of course, different names). If I do not choose the -l
option it works (as Engish). So how can I choose the languages indeed?

zdenko podobny

Oct 5, 2010, 2:45:26 AM10/5/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
It looks like problem with paths. Can you please post result of  'which tesseract'?

Zd.

Jimmy O'Regan

Oct 5, 2010, 4:17:57 AM10/5/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 5 October 2010 07:45, zdenko podobny <zde...@gmail.com> wrote:

The traineddata files are gzipped: did you uncompress them? (gzip -d)

zdenko podobny

Oct 5, 2010, 7:54:20 AM10/5/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 5 October 2010 07:45, zdenko podobny <zde...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Malky <malky.ua@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've compiled tesseract (and it works) but I don't know how to use the
>> language files from here:
>> https://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/downloads/list
>>
>> I've unpacked language files into /usr/local/share/tessdata/ but I get
>> the error message "Error openning data file /usr/local/share/tessdata/
>> english.traineddata" (or any other language) if I use the -l option
>> even for english. I've tried different language files and the message
>> was the same (of course, different names). If I do not choose the -l
>> option it works (as Engish). So how can I choose the languages indeed?
>>

> It looks like problem with paths. Can you please post result of  'which
> tesseract'?

The traineddata files are gzipped: did you uncompress them? (gzip -d)

it is solved. Problem was in using "-l english" instead of  "-l eng".
I already got other feedback that user documentation should be improved....

Malky

Oct 5, 2010, 3:52:24 AM10/5/10
to tesseract-ocr
So my problem is solved ) Thanks to zdenko podobny for help!

Jimmy O'Regan

Oct 5, 2010, 8:09:27 AM10/5/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 5 October 2010 12:54, zdenko podobny <zde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> it is solved. Problem was in using "-l english" instead of  "-l eng".
> I already got other feedback that user documentation should be improved....

Well, I won't argue that the documentation needs improvement, but in
this case, I think the documentation *does* cover it. Heck, I went the
extra mile of putting names to each of the ISO codes in the manpage.

(Oh, BTW, 'osd' stands for 'orientation and script detection' -- it's
a pseudo language pack that contains a classifier for distinctive
features of each supported script, which can be used to 1) detect the
orientation of the page, 2) detect the script (which reduces the
language identification problem). The code to use it is available in
3.01.)

Jeffrey Ratcliffe

Oct 18, 2010, 2:34:42 AM10/18/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 2 October 2010 21:33, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Even still, I think the shared library stuff is the problem.

Indeed.

I have another, related question. Debian requires each shared library
to have its own package. The only exception is when the SONAME will
only ever change simultaneously for all libraries. Can you confirm
this?

Otherwise I will have to separate:

libtesseract-api3 libtesseract-ccstruct3 libtesseract-ccutil3
libtesseract-classify3 libtesseract-cutil3 libtesseract-dict3
libtesseract-image3 libtesseract-main3 libtesseract-textord3
libtesseract-training3 libtesseract-viewer3 libtesseract-wordrec3

i.e. 12 library packages (and another 12 -dev packages).

Regards

Jeff

Jeffrey Ratcliffe

Oct 21, 2010, 1:29:17 AM10/21/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Debian requires that each shared library have its own package. At the
moment, that would require the following extra packages:

libtesseract-api3
libtesseract-ccstruct3
libtesseract-ccutil3
libtesseract-classify3
libtesseract-cutil3
libtesseract-dict3
libtesseract-image3
libtesseract-main3
libtesseract-textord3
libtesseract-training3
libtesseract-viewer3
libtesseract-wordrec3

The exception to this rule is the case that the *sonames* for all
shared libraries in the package will only ever change simultaneously.

Can you confirm this?

Regards

Jeff

Jimmy O'Regan

Oct 21, 2010, 2:15:24 AM10/21/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 21 October 2010 06:29, Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jeffrey....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Debian requires that each shared library have its own package. At the
> moment, that would require the following extra packages:

That doesn't sound right. I'll check into it at the mentor summit.

Jeffrey Ratcliffe

Oct 21, 2010, 11:24:14 AM10/21/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 21 October 2010 08:15, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That doesn't sound right. I'll check into it at the mentor summit.

From [1] (or the libpkg-guide package on a Debian-based distro):

There are packages like libc6, which contain multiple shared libraries
in one package. This is not encouraged. [2] It becomes more complex
and more difficult to handle complex upgrade patterns.

Regards

Jeff

[1] http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html#naminglibpkg
[2] This is the case unless it is confident that shared libraries will
not change interfaces independently, or compatibility issues are
carefully handled. In general, when shared libraries are split, there
is no reason upstream will keep changes to interfaces synchronised.

Jimmy O'Regan

Oct 24, 2010, 5:58:04 PM10/24/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 20 October 2010 23:15, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 October 2010 06:29, Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jeffrey....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Debian requires that each shared library have its own package. At the
>> moment, that would require the following extra packages:
>
> That doesn't sound right. I'll check into it at the mentor summit.

I discussed this with Ray and he prefers having a single library, so
I'm going to make the multiple libraries a non-default option. This'll
surface in Tesseract 3.01, but I can certainly provide you with a
patch for 3.00 when I get a chance to write it up.

Jeffrey Ratcliffe

Oct 25, 2010, 2:07:20 AM10/25/10
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On 24 October 2010 23:58, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I discussed this with Ray and he prefers having a single library, so
> I'm going to make the multiple libraries a non-default option. This'll
> surface in Tesseract 3.01, but I can certainly provide you with a
> patch for 3.00 when I get a chance to write it up.

That would be excellent.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeffrey Ratcliffe

Feb 20, 2011, 4:12:44 PM2/20/11
to tesser...@googlegroups.com, Jimmy O'Regan
On 24 October 2010 23:58, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I discussed this with Ray and he prefers having a single library, so
> I'm going to make the multiple libraries a non-default option. This'll
> surface in Tesseract 3.01, but I can certainly provide you with a
> patch for 3.00 when I get a chance to write it up.

Have you been able to get anywhere with this?

Now squeeze is out, it would be good to get v3 into sid.

Regards

Jeff

zdenko podobny

Mar 2, 2011, 6:10:20 AM3/2/11
On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 20 October 2010 23:15, Jimmy O'Regan <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 October 2010 06:29, Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jeffrey....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Debian requires that each shared library have its own package. At the
>> moment, that would require the following extra packages:
>
> That doesn't sound right. I'll check into it at the mentor summit.

I discussed this with Ray and he prefers having a single library, so
I'm going to make the multiple libraries a non-default option. This'll
surface in Tesseract 3.01, but I can certainly provide you with a
patch for 3.00 when I get a chance to write it up.

 I would like to point to one issue related to this: naming. If my findings is correct this is current situation (please feel free to correct me):

Name of tesseract 2.04 library on Windows: tessdll.dll (tessdll.lib)
Name of tesseract 2.04 library for .Net on Windows: tessnet2_32.dll (tessnet2_64.dll)
Name of tesseract (2.04?) library on Android: libocr.so (but maybe this is issue only of https://code.google.com/p/eyes-free, because I think I so somewhere libtess)
Name of tesseract 3.01 library for .Net on Windows: tesseractengine3.dll
Name of tesseract 3.01 library for python (created with SWIG) on Linux: _tesseract.so
Name of tesseract 3.01 library on Linux (as mentioned by Jefferey): libtesseract_api.so.3.0.1, libtesseract_main.so.3.0.1, libtesseract_ccstruct.so.3.0.1, libtesseract_neural.so.3.0.1, libtesseract_ccutil.so.3.0.1, libtesseract_tessopt.so.3.0.1, libtesseract_classify.so.3.0.1, libtesseract_textord.so.3.0.1, libtesseract_cube.so.3.0.1, libtesseract_training.so.3.0.1, libtesseract_cutil.so.3.0.1, libtesseract_viewer.so.3.0.1, libtesseract_dict.so.3.0.1, libtesseract_wordrec.so.3.0.1, libtesseract_image.so.3.0.1 (libtesseract_api.a,  libtesseract_main.a, libtesseract_ccstruct.a,  libtesseract_neural.a, libtesseract_ccutil.a,  libtesseract_pageseg.a, libtesseract_classify.a,  libtesseract_tessopt.a, libtesseract_cube.a,  libtesseract_textord.a, libtesseract_cutil.a,  libtesseract_training.a, libtesseract_dict.a,  libtesseract_viewer.a, libtesseract_full.a,  libtesseract_wordrec.a, libtesseract_image.a)

I believe it would be good if we can agreed on "naming standard".

Zdenko