[racchabanda] Six New Telugu Characters Accepted by Unicode Committee

Suresh Kolichala

Sep 12, 2006, 10:43:52 AM9/12/06
to racch...@yahoogroups.com

Dear all,

I am excited to share the news on the acceptance of six new characters
to the telugu block.

1. TELUGU SIGN AVAGRAHA
2. TELUGU LETTER TSA (dental ca)
3. TELUGU LETTER DZA (dental ja)
4. TELUGU VOWEL SIGN VOCALIC L
5. TELUGU VOWEL SIGN VOCALIC LL
6. TELUGU SIGN ARDHAVISARGA

The decision on fraction symbols was deferred, and the proposals for
danda, double danda, abbreviation symbol and talakaTTu were rejected
(expectedly). The link to the original proposal is:

http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3116.pdf

All credit and kudos should go to Nagarjuna Venna for his dedication
and hardwork on this proposal, and to Michael Everson for his expert
guidance and support. Thanks are also due to all those racchabanDa
members who helped us in collecting the evidence, especially, Sesha
Vadapalli, J. K. Mohana Rao and Sreenivas Paruchuri gaarlu.

We are working on sending another proposal for additional symbols like:

1. guruvu symbol
2. laghuvu symbol
3. yati symbol
4. retroflex approximant (z.)
5. Near-open front unrounded vowel (ae (æ) sound in the past tense
verbs)
6. special symbol for f (as used in BhK's vRttipadakOSaM)
7. Symbols for Paurnami and Amavasya

We welcome input and feedback on this proposal from y'all!

Regards,
Suresh.
మా.మా.: time for you to celebrate. You can spell your name
correctly in Unicode now!

Courtesy: http://www.kanneganti.com/

Madhav Machavaram

Sep 12, 2006, 11:38:26 AM9/12/06
to racch...@yahoogroups.com
--- In racch...@yahoogroups.com, "Suresh Kolichala"
<suresh_kolichala@...> wrote:

> మా.మా.: time for you to celebrate. You can spell your name
> correctly in Unicode now!

Yes, I will! If I am not mistaken, Sri VCJ too!

My Thanks to you all for your continued efforts.

Regards
mAdhav^ mA~cavaraM.

Suresh Kolichala

Sep 12, 2006, 12:53:23 PM9/12/06
to racch...@yahoogroups.com
--- In racch...@yahoogroups.com, "Madhav Machavaram"
<mvmachavaram@...> wrote:
> Yes, I will! If I am not mistaken, Sri VCJ too!

Yes, ~jampAla paru~cUri, ~cAvA kiran, and anyone else who has an acca
telugu c* or j* in their name, should join your party. For that matter,
all members of this list should be invited, for the name of this group,
ra~ccabanDa, can now be spelled correctly too :-).

Do you have enough space and spirit to serve all these invited
guests? :-)

Regards,
Suresh.
PS: Seriously, re-introducing these extinct symbols back into the
language was never our intention. These symbols in unicode character
set will only help accurately digitize those old books manuscripts that
used these symbols (and these symbols were used only for about 160
years!)

* and followed by a non-front-vowel (i.e. not e, i,ae)

Murthy Devarakonda

Sep 12, 2006, 12:42:14 PM9/12/06
to racch...@yahoogroups.com
సురేష్ గారూ
I have not followed the previous discussions on this,
please excuse me for any repetitions.

> danda, double danda, abbreviation symbol and talakaTTu were rejected
> (expectedly). The link to the original proposal is:

Danda and double danda are used in musical notation also. It is nice to
have double danda, because we do not find an equivalent in the
standard Latin (or Roman... whatever) section.

> We are working on sending another proposal for additional symbols like:

A few more thoughts on additional symbols :
Again, in music, some accents are used (not symbols in their own
right). Threre is a "dot" above "any" letter to indicate a higher octave
note and a dot below any letter for a lower-octave note. Similarly
double dots above and below indicate +/- 2 octaves respectively. One
rarely comes across these, though. Similarly, single underscore, double
underscore are used to indicate 1/2, 1/4 notes. I am not proposing
these; but thought I would just mention them.
I am wondering if some/most symbols could be moved to another block, (if
Unicode has made such a provision) - something that can be commonly used
by more than one Indian language ? Perhaps that is asking for too much!

శలవు,
మూర్తి

Suresh Kolichala

Oct 25, 2010, 5:41:49 AM10/25/10
to racch...@yahoogroups.com
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 1:41 AM, kkchava <chav...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hopefully Suresh and others are still active here :-)
> This mail says ARDHAVISARGA is encoded, according to proposal @
> http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3116.pdf it is supposed to be
> present @ \U0C71 But on latest official Unicode chart
> http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0C00.pdf I don't see any such ARDHAVISARGA.
> Am I missing something?

Kiran,

Ardhavisarga though originally approved in the Telugu block (U+0C71) was
later moved to a more generic "Vedic" block (U+1CF2) because it is of
general use.

See:
http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3235.pdf
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1CD0.pdf

If you are working on a new proposal, please include a symbol for retroflex
approximant (z as in tamiz), which was employed in Telugu inscriptions at
least until the 8th century CE. I can help you with the evidence.

Regards,
Suresh.

------------------------------------

kkchava

Oct 21, 2010, 1:41:47 AM10/21/10
to racch...@yahoogroups.com

> 6. TELUGU SIGN ARDHAVISARGA
>
> Regards,
> Suresh.

Hopefully Suresh and others are still active here :-)

This mail says ARDHAVISARGA is encoded, according to proposal @ http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3116.pdf it is supposed to be present @ \U0C71 But on latest official Unicode chart http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0C00.pdf I don't see any such ARDHAVISARGA. Am I missing something?

ps: I am working on review of current Telugu Unicode standard and see if there is something we can do to improve it. Your inputs are welcome.
First Post is @ http://geek.chavakiran.com/archives/55 I am working on second post with better quality.