[racchabanda] Bengaluru (Bangalore) : the Telugu connection

vee tel

Dec 13, 2005, 3:14:00 AM12/13/05
to telug...@yahoogroups.com, telugu...@yahoogroups.com, telugu...@yahoogroups.com, racch...@yahoogroups.com, Meeru_...@yahoogroups.com, telug...@yahoogroups.com
Vizag, Bombay, Trivandrum, Calcutta, Madras and now ... Bangalore

Chief minister N Dharam Singh told reporters in Gulbarga on Sunday: "We will rename Bangalore as Bengaluru on November 1, 2006, to mark the launch of Karnataka's Golden Jubilee year - Suvarna Karnataka - on that day. I have issued a directive to chief secretary B K Das in this regard." '
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1327480.cms

The Kannadigas seem to have finally stood up for 'Namma Bengaluru' (our bangalore), and want to tell the 70% non-Kannada population of the city - 'do not forget that you are still living in Kannada Rajya'.

Of course, the state government should've done something about the crumbling infrastructure of the city before taking these decisions.

Nevertheless, I was interested in something else.
Is 'Bengaluru' (Bengalooru) a purely Kannada term? What are the origins of the word? Delving into some history gave some interesting results. 'Bengaluru' is as much (probably more ?) Telugu , as Kannada.

I have put down some facts here:

http://telugutanam.blogspot.com/2005/12/indias-silicon-valley-to-get-telugu.html

Feel free to provide your comments / criticisms..and if you agree with the article, please forward it on...

regards
Kiran

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/4XQrlB/TM

Converted into Telugu script by Ramarao Kanneganti's program