Telecom career guide for Pakistan

Babar

Aug 1, 2007, 11:29:06 AM8/1/07
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
I get LOTS of comments and emails from students and others about
opportunities for internships and jobs in telecom companies (Chinese
companies seem to be the favorite). Putting aside the fact that these
people are not able to tell a blog from a job site, is there anything
that we can do to guide them? For example is there a good website
which I can refer them to?

Since we are on this, is there a good resource which aggregates
information about academic institutes which offer telecom related
degrees?

Thanks,

-Babar

Shakeel Ahmad

Aug 1, 2007, 11:56:29 AM8/1/07
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
brightspyre.com are making efforts from past many years. But frankly, due to lack of career councelling, most people doesn't realy know different between Network/System or pure Telecom based jobs. Mostly we end up getting resume from every where but from the right candidate. This may also be a problem in past as ISPs were small and a system admin have to look after DNS, Cache, Email & Routers too.

Things are chaning very fast, after the new GSM porviders are in, mastering just one field and pursuing the job in the sector is what matters.

thanks,
Shakeel

Tee Emm

Aug 1, 2007, 1:31:38 PM8/1/07
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
At freshmen level I am not aware of any recruitment co specializing in
telecoms. There are job sites catering to the general theme.
We can do a wiki to collaboratively build a listing.

On 8/1/07, Babar <babar....@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Tariq Mustafa MSN: t...@hotmail.com
Current Cell Number: http://tinyurl.com/2ob35t

Rakesh Kumar

Aug 1, 2007, 2:55:28 PM8/1/07
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Let me tell you from a fresh graduate in Telecom Engineering's perspective that how and what type of situation we face when we pass out from college.

I recently graduated from FAST-NU Karachi with a B.S (Telecom Engineering) with a bronze medal and A graded final year project. I have been applying to various GSM operators and vendors for 3-4 months and have not received any interview calls to date. I have been told by my friends who got interview calls that they had references in the organization which secured them interviews and then later jobs based on their performances.

Generally, as Tee Emm mentioned that there is no recruitment program offered as such by any of these vendors/operators. I was lucky to secure an internship in the O&M dept of Telenor Pakistan comprising of six weeks - last year - but a heavy majority of our first batch passed out without any "proper" internship where they could groom themselves professionally. There is another problem, that is of relative  closeness of the Telecom sector. There maybe a lot of vertical growth in various organizations but there is less horizontal growth. If there is any, I don't see it happening in the form of new companies popping up with new innovative ideas and services. There is a lot, that could be done in mobile applications area. Orion, which was recently discussed, is one such example. Besides, Telecom graduates are left not much choice out of bunch of vendors/operators and a few TV channels and an space research organization adding in the list.

In this booming industry, I sometimes get to wonder that did I make a wrong choice four years back when the industry was just bracing up, but I feel I am in the right place, probably we need right direction from the industry. More structured recruitment and internship programs shall be a great step in that direction.

Following are a few websites where relevant ads keep coming up:

www.finaljob.com.pk
www.rozee.pk

Then there are recruitment engines of Telenor ( www.telenor.com.pk/careers) Mobilink (jobs.mobilinkgsm.com) and Ericsson (www.ercissonpk.com ) to add to them.
--
Rakesh.
http://gopchandani.wordpress.com

Babar

Aug 1, 2007, 6:21:30 PM8/1/07
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
Rakesh - thanks for sharing your experience in detail and for pointing
out the various defeciencies of the job environment. BTW internships
are hard to get even in US and yes connections matter everywhere.

TM - I think the Wiki idea is great. We can aggregate info from the
main sources and organize it. Who wants to contribute?

> Mobilink (jobs.mobilinkgsm.com) and Ericsson (www.ercissonpk.com) to add to
> them.

> On 8/1/07, Tee Emm <tariq.must...@gmail.com > wrote:
>

> > At freshmen level I am not aware of any recruitment co specializing in
> > telecoms. There are job sites catering to the general theme.
> > We can do a wiki to collaboratively build a listing.
>

> > On 8/1/07, Babar < babar.bha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I get LOTS of comments and emails from students and others about
> > > opportunities for internships and jobs in telecom companies (Chinese
> > > companies seem to be the favorite). Putting aside the fact that these
> > > people are not able to tell a blog from a job site, is there anything
> > > that we can do to guide them? For example is there a good website
> > > which I can refer them to?
>
> > > Since we are on this, is there a good resource which aggregates
> > > information about academic institutes which offer telecom related
> > > degrees?
>
> > > Thanks,
>
> > > -Babar
>
> > --
> > Tariq Mustafa MSN: t...@hotmail.com
> > Current Cell Number:http://tinyurl.com/2ob35t
> > Pakistan's Telecom Blog:http://pakng.wordpress.com
>
> --

> Rakesh.http://gopchandani.wordpress.com- Hide quoted text -

Rehan Allah Wala

Aug 2, 2007, 9:57:38 PM8/2/07
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Some one posted something about a telecom / job wiki

I would like to offer voip.com.pk wiki that I have had for a while which is not used much to be
used as for what ever telecom reason u guys want to use it for.

Its an open wiki but i would like some one to manage it

Do i see any raised hands?

Rehan

Rehan Ahmed AllahWala
Msn/Yahoo/GoogleTalk/Email: Re...@Rehan.com

http://www.supertec.com/ - Internet Telephony Solutions
Http://www.DIDX.net - DID Number Market Place.
Don't Remember Me ? Visit http://www.Rehan.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
By Mahatma Gandhi.

Rehan Allah Wala

Aug 2, 2007, 9:57:42 PM8/2/07
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Hello Guys,

I posted on the other email lead that we have openings in Super Technologies Karachi
Location.

We are also having a constant internee program where we take 4 internee's every month.

Our current openings are listed on www.supertec.com/jobs

Rehan

Date sent: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 23:55:28 +0500
From: "Rakesh Kumar" <gopch...@gmail.com>
To: telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Subject: TGP: Re: Telecom career guide for Pakistan
Send reply to: telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com

> Then there are recruitment engines of Telenor (www.telenor.com.pk/careers)

> Mobilink (jobs.mobilinkgsm.com) and Ericsson (www.ercissonpk.com) to add to

> them.
>

> On 8/1/07, Tee Emm <tariq....@gmail.com > wrote:
> >

> > At freshmen level I am not aware of any recruitment co specializing in
> > telecoms. There are job sites catering to the general theme.
> > We can do a wiki to collaboratively build a listing.
> >
> > On 8/1/07, Babar < babar....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I get LOTS of comments and emails from students and others about
> > > opportunities for internships and jobs in telecom companies (Chinese
> > > companies seem to be the favorite). Putting aside the fact that these
> > > people are not able to tell a blog from a job site, is there anything
> > > that we can do to guide them? For example is there a good website
> > > which I can refer them to?
> > >
> > > Since we are on this, is there a good resource which aggregates
> > > information about academic institutes which offer telecom related
> > > degrees?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > -Babar
> > >

> > --
> > Tariq Mustafa MSN: t...@hotmail.com
> > Current Cell Number: http://tinyurl.com/2ob35t
> > Pakistan's Telecom Blog: http://pakng.wordpress.com
> >

> --
> Rakesh.
> http://gopchandani.wordpress.com

Babar

Aug 3, 2007, 11:35:01 AM8/3/07
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
Rehan - if its ok with you, we can post these intern/open positions on
a few blogs.

On Aug 2, 8:57 pm, "Rehan Allah Wala" <re...@supertec.com> wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> I posted on the other email lead that we have openings in Super Technologies Karachi
> Location.
>
> We are also having a constant internee program where we take 4 internee's every month.
>
> Our current openings are listed onwww.supertec.com/jobs
>
> Rehan
>
> Date sent: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 23:55:28 +0500

> From: "Rakesh Kumar" <gopchand...@gmail.com>

> > On 8/1/07, Tee Emm <tariq.must...@gmail.com > wrote:
>
> > > At freshmen level I am not aware of any recruitment co specializing in
> > > telecoms. There are job sites catering to the general theme.
> > > We can do a wiki to collaboratively build a listing.

> > > --
> > > Tariq Mustafa MSN: t...@hotmail.com
> > > Current Cell Number:http://tinyurl.com/2ob35t
> > > Pakistan's Telecom Blog:http://pakng.wordpress.com
>
> > --
> > Rakesh.
> >http://gopchandani.wordpress.com
>
> Rehan Ahmed AllahWala
> Msn/Yahoo/GoogleTalk/Email: Re...@Rehan.com
>
> http://www.supertec.com/- Internet Telephony Solutions

> Http://www.DIDX.net- DID Number Market Place.
> Don't Remember Me ? Visithttp://www.Rehan.com

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

> By Mahatma Gandhi.- Hide quoted text -

Rehan Allah Wala

Aug 3, 2007, 5:02:03 PM8/3/07
to Babar, telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Here is another post u can post

SuperTec.com has developed world class VOIP services for global market in the last 4 years.

We are now launching global brands in 20+ countries such as

SuperphoneChina.com

ChinaPhoneLine.com
Pakistantel.net
Mexicotel.net
Nigeriatel.com

Enhanced voice products like

Ip-pabx.com
superIVR.net
VirtualPhoneLine.com
Phone2net.com

and social networking products like

Khandaan.us

Business Management Software's like

Healthmanagementsystem.net
Visamanagementsystem.com
SchooManagementsystem.net

We are looking for internet savvy and experienced Marketing Product Managers for these products.

If you think, you have what it takes to be a part of a cutting edge technology marketing person; We need you to work with us.

Send us your resume, along with a 1 pager on any one of our product on what you will do to increase the market share of the product that you have chosen.

Since we consider ourselves as a nextgen technology company, we encourage people to work from home also and women are encouraged to apply.

Send your email to sale...@supertec.com
http://www.supertec.com/ - Internet Telephony Solutions
Http://www.DIDX.net - DID Number Market Place.
Don't Remember Me ? Visit http://www.Rehan.com