Youtube block ?

Mustafa Rana

Feb 22, 2008, 7:39:55 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com

Just heard from a source at Paksitan that "Youtube" is being blocked at Pakistan. There is an unconfirmed news that PTCL has blocked it already & other providers are being forced to do the same by PTA.

Comments?

Regards,
Mustafa Rana

Shiraz

Feb 22, 2008, 7:47:45 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Yes.
--
Shiraz Anjum Malik
Cell: +92-300-8541239

Masud

Feb 22, 2008, 7:48:25 AM2/22/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan

Yes. It has been blocked.

http://www.masudreza.com/2008/02/pakistan-telecommunications-authority.html

Lets see when it is unblocked :-)

Masud

Zaeem Arshad

Feb 22, 2008, 7:48:58 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Weird..now that you have mentioned it, I just checked and the trace appears to stop at PIE with destionation host unreachable. Anybody aware what's the impetus behind this move?

Regards

--
Zaeem

Imtiaz Noor

Feb 22, 2008, 7:51:27 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Confirmed....
blocked......but why the hell???
--
- Inspirex

Amir

Feb 22, 2008, 7:52:41 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
This movie has anti-Islamic content. Is there anyway to block the particular url instead of blocking the whole youtube?

Regards,
Amir

Mustafa Rana

Feb 22, 2008, 7:53:57 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
As Masud has also mentioned at his blog "Blasphemous" content !!

Mustafa Rana

Feb 22, 2008, 7:55:06 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
"Content Filtering" but Pakistan lacks the infrastructure !! :-)

Dr. Awab Alvi

Feb 22, 2008, 7:55:55 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
I can only speculate why - but its only speculation mind you

From yesterday I have been receiving quite a few links of people claiming to have witnesed vote rigging in karachi and have uploaded the videos on Youtube - I am since yesterday limited to blackberry access since I am in Peshawar (Franctically trying to get online hope to succeed soon )

I have personally not seen the videos but the people have shared a few

Mind you its only speculation as it comes too close to the uploading of the videos - could this be a reason-?

Ouch

Awab

Shiraz

Feb 22, 2008, 7:58:27 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
PTA has mentioned only 1 IP to be blocked but youtube.com seems to multiple IPs. PTA has also directed to block the URL within 2 weeks (if operator currently doesn't have URL blocking feature, they need to get this done in 2 weeks time). Following is excerpt from PTA emails:

www.youtube.com

IP address of the web site

youtube   <----->    208.65.153.238

DNS
DNS1.SJL.YOUTUBE.COM     208.65.152.201
DNS2.SJL.YOUTUBE.COM     208.65.152.137

Mustafa Rana

Feb 22, 2008, 7:58:52 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Can you share the links on the forum ?

Dr. Awab Alvi

Feb 22, 2008, 7:59:11 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Anti Islamic - I suspect not this could be a cover up for the vote rigging fiasco </speculation>

Ill share the links in a while getting on a computer soon -

Awab

Mustafa Rana

Feb 22, 2008, 7:59:36 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Insane :)

Wasim Baig

Feb 22, 2008, 8:01:27 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
From the emergency-pakistan mailing list ...

The only channel brave enough to play these videos has been Dawn News in Pakistan.
It would obviously be too much to ask that pro-MQM channels like Geo and ARY play, or even mention rigging by MQM.

Turn the volume up. Open rigging. 8+ ballot papers being given to EACH MQM voter, all the votes having the same fingerprint on them!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j444heT4o14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TPUHHFky38
Listen to the part where the undercover woman says about ID card numbers, "ID card number koyi bhi daal dein, kis nay check kerna hai?", and the voting officer says, "Jo kerta hai ker lay check! Hehe!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luPQfvR2R2Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbpWPoWeG_g

There are other videos too, but these are enough evidence.
--
wasim h. baig | principal consultant | convergence pk | +92 300 8508070

Mustafa Rana

Feb 22, 2008, 8:04:19 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Just watching a GEO TV broadcast on Youtube - Fatima Bhutto showing the Voters list without the NIC numbers ... haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq4sC2Mq85k

Let's see if they block google along with other Search engines also !! lol ;-)

Murtaza Hussain

Feb 22, 2008, 7:49:44 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com

Its working till now, hope this isn't true.

Masud

Feb 22, 2008, 8:08:38 AM2/22/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan

Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar and numerous others have the infrastructure
for URL filtering. Mostly they block political / religious /
blasphemous / anti-social and any material that does not adhere to the
laws of the land.

I'm against Censorship but in any country where we live, the law of
the land has to be followed. I'd be interested in other people's views
on this.

Masud

On Feb 22, 5:55 pm, "Mustafa Rana" <mustafa.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Content Filtering" but Pakistan lacks the infrastructure !! :-)
>
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Amir <amirud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This movie has anti-Islamic content. Is there anyway to block the
> > particular url instead of blocking the whole youtube?
>
> > Regards,
> > Amir
>
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Zaeem Arshad <zaeem.ars...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Weird..now that you have mentioned it, I just checked and the trace
> > > appears to stop at PIE with destionation host unreachable. Anybody aware
> > > what's the impetus behind this move?
>
> > > Regards
>
> > > --
> > > Zaeem
>
> > > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Mustafa Rana <mustafa.r...@gmail.com>

Zaeem Arshad

Feb 22, 2008, 8:10:38 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3s8jtvvg00

This is the link PTA has asked ISPs to block in their official letter.
PTCL in it's greatest wisdom has blocked the IP. Awesome!!

--
Zaeem

Faisal Naik

Feb 22, 2008, 8:12:38 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Cant access it from my network. (ISB-PK)

Regards,

FN

Dr. Awab Alvi

Feb 22, 2008, 8:12:35 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to be a jerk but what's on this link -

And any copy of the letter/email
Feb 22, 2008, 8:13:23 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Some ISPs are said to have received paper based communication from PTA Peshawer asking for this blockade. Trigger happy PTA has reportedly blocked the IPs.

-T

p.s: The way PTA works, each region finds it necessary to send out correspondence to every ISP in the country and finally the PTA HQ again asks for the same - terrible paper trash generated and the receivers must respond/reply to each of such letter.
--
Tariq Mustafa         MSN:t...@hotmail.com
Active Cell #        http://tinyurl.com/2ob35t

Stuff I am sharing: http://tinyurl.com/2kagdu

Uzair Ahmed

Feb 22, 2008, 8:29:40 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Kitnay URL band karo gay har BLOG say naya URL niklay Ga..........

Dr. Awab Alvi

Feb 22, 2008, 8:52:06 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Received this from another mailing list

Idiots are placing the onus on us to unblock the website - playing the previous fiasco as seen in Thailand -- Geez

Dear Valued Customer:

Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (www.pta.gov.pk <http://www.pta.gov.pk/> ) has directed all ISPs of the country to block access to www.youtube.com <http://www.youtube.com/> web site for containing blasphemous web content/movies.

The site would remain blocked till further orders from

PTA. Meanwhile, Internet users can write to youtube.com <http://youtube.com> to remove the objectionable web content/movies because this removal would enable the authorities to order un-blocking of this web site.

We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Best Regards

Manager
Technical Assistance Center
Micronet Broadband Pvt. Ltd.
Islamabad

Feb 22, 2008, 9:05:20 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Geert Wilders - trailer from the anti-quran movie NO FAKE!!!

Saw a bit of it. Its very stupid, ignorant and very offensive....

Ashar

--
Galbraith's Law of Human Nature:
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that

Dr. Awab Alvi

Feb 22, 2008, 9:13:13 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the update

Then this is important but are we going to be landed with a wikipedia block considering the rukus on huzoor (pbuh) images

As I can say - the movie trailer was up since long (I assume) and the MQM videos surfaced only yesterday - suspicious

While our mullahs are fishing out of the elections so is PTA being hollier then thou for all this

I suspect ------ yes we can only speculate

Awab
Well, at the moment Blogger.com seems to be inaccessible from both
PTCL and TWA1....

Masud

On Feb 22, 6:29 pm, "Uzair Ahmed" <uzai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kitnay URL band karo gay har BLOG say naya URL niklay Ga..........
>
> On 2/22/08, Mustafa Rana <mustafa.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Just watching a GEO TV broadcast on Youtube - Fatima Bhutto showing the
> > Voters list without the NIC numbers ... haha
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq4sC2Mq85k
>
> > Let's see if they block google along with other Search engines also !! lol
> > ;-)
>
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Wasim Baig <wa...@convergence.pk> wrote:
>
> > > From the emergency-pakistan mailing list ...
>
> > > The only channel brave enough to play these videos has been Dawn News in
> > > Pakistan.
> > > It would obviously be too much to ask that pro-MQM channels like Geo and
> > > ARY play, or even mention rigging by MQM.
>
> > > Turn the volume up. Open rigging. 8+ ballot papers being given to EACH MQM
> > > voter, all the votes having the same fingerprint on them!!
>
> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j444heT4o14
>
> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TPUHHFky38
> > > Listen to the part where the undercover woman says about ID card numbers,
> > > "ID card number koyi bhi daal dein, kis nay check kerna hai?", and the
> > > voting officer says, "Jo kerta hai ker lay check! Hehe!"
>
> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luPQfvR2R2Y
>
> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbpWPoWeG_g
>
> > > There are other videos too, but these are enough evidence.

> > (if
> > this

Dr. Awab Alvi

Feb 22, 2008, 10:13:03 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Blogspot - is accessible from PTCL in Peshawar.  if its blasphemous material Id prefer to keep an eye on Wikiepedia.  that could be the pinch test

Awab
--
Awab Alvi
http://teeth.com.pk/blog

Majid Farid

Feb 22, 2008, 10:33:40 AM2/22/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
Internet Censorship......Out of the above 4 URL posted by Wasim 3 have
been removed from youtube.

At the same time ,UAE yesterday announced Internet liberation policy
according to which parts of social website like facebook and myspace
will be blocked !

Accordingly the two main ISP's in UAE have been asked to implement
proper content filtering. ....blue coat..surf control etc...

/Majid
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 5:59 PM, Mustafa Rana <mustafa.r...@gmail.com>

Shakeel Ahmad

Feb 22, 2008, 10:35:36 AM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Actually they have only blocked 1 of the IP addresses of blogger.com (i.e. google) - from other two IP addresses, one is inactive from google (wierd ? i checked from US as well) and one is working very fine in PK & US as well. At the end of the day - there would be many many other ways to bypass these filters.

Masud

Feb 22, 2008, 10:39:45 AM2/22/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan

The issue is that who has delegated powers to the PTA committee to
decide and implement such decisions (i.e. blocking of a particular
website) ?. The will of the people should not be at the mercy of a GOP
Officer or the Chairman PTA.

Does anyone know what the Telecom Act of Pakistan says about this?

Masud

On Feb 22, 8:35 pm, "Shakeel Ahmad" <shakeelah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually they have only blocked 1 of the IP addresses of blogger.com (i.e.
> google) - from other two IP addresses, one is inactive from google (wierd ?
> i checked from US as well) and one is working very fine in PK & US as well.
> At the end of the day - there would be many many other ways to bypass these
> filters.
>
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Masud <masud.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, at the moment Blogger.com <http://blogger.com/> seems to be
> > 208.65.152.201

Shaheer Khan

Feb 22, 2008, 12:57:21 PM2/22/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
This http://pakistaniat.com/2008/02/22/youtube-blocked-in-pakistan-why/
might help in this debate.

Utterly despicable. I hope the entire internet isn't blocked due to
defaming content and what-not...
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 5:59 PM, Mustafa Rana <mustafa.r...@gmail.com>

bmug...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2008, 12:16:16 PM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
TV Channels should be happy by this move and above all advertisers. Keep this and all related video streaming sites blocked for a month and check the television viewership stats then! I hope that proper content filtering comes into Pakistan soon otherwise there's ample amount of trash on YouTube and related to turn a girl next door into a whore :) This is the difference and this is why we're considered as non-reliable people where ever we go, we are made to stand in seprate ques, seprate interogation and all other humiliation. We don't practice what we preach.

Bilal

Rehan Allah Wala

Feb 22, 2008, 9:26:19 PM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com, bas...@rehan.com, suzanne Bowen
I saw a movie last week on tv, that if there is something negitive, DO NOT talk about it.

They said that Mother Terresa went never to an anti war ralley but would always go to a
peace rally.

I think that applies here, if there was a problem in this movie, go ahead and block the URL, or
report to youtube, and i think they would remove it.

But my making it loud we are sending more people to this url and making him popular for no
reason.

It looks like a child's play to me, we cant just get angry on some retarded person creating
foolish ignorant stuff like this one.

my 2 cents.

Rehan Ahmed AllahWala
Msn/Yahoo/GoogleTalk/Email: Re...@Rehan.com

http://www.supertec.com/ - Internet Telephony Solutions
Http://www.DIDX.net - DID Number Market Place.
Don't Remember Me ? Visit http://www.Rehan.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
By Gandhi.

Shakeel Ahmad

Feb 22, 2008, 1:53:42 PM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com, bas...@rehan.com, suzanne Bowen
Without just cursing on what happened - I am still not able to understand, what are we achieving by blocking the content. Is it going to stop non-muslims from watching it ? or are we as Pakistani Muslims are going astray by watching that content.

I still feel, there is some Mullah sort of person sitting in PTA  who is acting to be another taliban here. Purely Childish Act.

Muhammed Nasrullah

Feb 22, 2008, 2:15:53 PM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Its ironic that our guardians of technology do not understand the resilience of the internet. The more you suppress something, the more mirrors will come up till the time you can no longer keep up with what you are trying to hide. Thats exactly what happened when they tried to stop hackers when they cracked the code: 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5b D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

WS
-Nash

Shakeel Ahmad

Feb 22, 2008, 2:23:36 PM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if this business logic stands true in PK/Middle East (as authorities can block the server IP too) but in US i have seen many of my coleagues using http://www.witopia.net/ services for their general usage (as open wifi is very common) - and its pretty cheap i.e. 40$/Year. Perhaps one day we might be using these services for bypassing such things. And yes they are also providing SSL VPNs.

regards,
Shakeel Ahmad

KO

Feb 22, 2008, 3:32:20 PM2/22/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com, bas...@rehan.com, suzanne Bowen
I believe the intention is to:

a) Make you into a better person from not having to watch things which your puny brain can't digest

b) Stop videos harmful to the outgoing govt. become public knowledge - those of numerous reported incidents of rigging in the last elections by MQM and PMLQ funtionaries. (And they still lost!)

Take your pick.

Rehan Allah Wala

Feb 23, 2008, 3:30:40 AM2/23/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com, bas...@rehan.com, suzanne Bowen
Now that makes more sence

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WbpWPoWeG_g

> I believe the intention is to:
>
> a) Make you into a better person from not having to watch things which your puny brain can't
> digest
>
> b) Stop videos harmful to the outgoing govt. become public knowledge - those of numerous
> reported incidents of rigging in the last elections by MQM and PMLQ funtionaries. (And they still
> lost!)
>
> Take your pick.
>

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:53 PM, Shakeel Ahmad <shakee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Without just cursing on what happened -I am still not able to understand, what are we

Haris Shamsi

Feb 23, 2008, 2:28:52 AM2/23/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Pity - i think the general election hype is not over yet and we all
are under this hype till now. I have got chance to talk to couple of
ppl in the authority and it appears to be due to the anti islamic
content not related to any political issues.

youtube would have been blocked long back by Authority if they are
politicaly motivated ( now that does not mean that i am favouring the
way they are trying to implement the blocking )

PTA has issued a similar notice to all ISPs when cartoons appeared on
websites to block them - a .35 million websites :) which was not
possible as ISPs in pakistan or NAPs do not have any content filtering
mechanism. On top of that our Supreme court has also issued a verdict
to banned all such websites ( a complete lack of understanding how
internet works )

As Masud mentioned , content filtering is happening in neighbouring
countires and there are lot of benifits as well. you would personally
never want your child/family to view a content which you think is not
appropriate however there are ways to implement such filtering which
offcourse requires a lot of capital investment and regularization of
communication mediums and no commercial service provider is ready to
implement such systems due to cost factor.

There is no doubt on the fact that in pakistan we had a mushroom
growth in Ip communication industry and unfortunately we didnt have
the experties to have proper legistaltion for internet in early days
which is resulting in such actions. AND offcourse as nation we are not
mature enough to self impose rules :)

My humble request to all on the list that avoid talking politics - use
your blogs if you want to comment on any political party - this list
was formed to discuss telecom related matters so please avoid
mentioing political issues here- thanks for your understanding

Good Day,
Haris Shamsi

Sajjad Zaidi

Feb 23, 2008, 3:14:04 AM2/23/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
I agree with the last part. This is no place to voice political opinions or conspiracy theories. However, I must disagree with the content filtering part. It really shouldn't be the service provider's responsibility to enforce any sort of filtering. At the least, any general policy regarding filtering should be implemented only after proper consensus instead of spoon feeding.

With regards to the anti-Islamic material, there's an abundance of it, both on the Internet and elsewhere. By attempting to highlight or ban this crap, we are only stoking the fire and furthering the cause of the instigators. How many people were aware that this clip (whatever it is) existed before the ban came into place? Same goes for the cartoons or whatever else is offensive to us and gets us up in arms.

After blocking YouTube, it is now that much easier to justify censoring of Wikipedia, the Google cache, or any service that can be made a scapegoat.

Sajjad
http://sajjadzaidi.com/2008/feb/youtube_banned_in_pakistan/

bmug...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2008, 12:54:34 PM2/23/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
You need to check the literacy rates of a society before allowing liberty for anything, to avoid misuse. There's a proper process to introducing something inside the country. Ages 13-17 is the perfect target for unsuitable content and  approx 30 percent of the males and 18 percent of females try out what they see on the internet. PTA does need to take the role of a moderator here to avoid society detrack. Find more figures/facts below picked from a research:

  Size of the Industry $57.0 billion world-wide - $12.0 billion US
    Adult Videos  $20.0 billion
    Escort Services $11.0 billion
    Magazines $ 7.5 billion
    Sex Clubs $ 5.0 billion
    Phone Sex $ 4.5 billion
    Cable & Pay Per View $ 2.5 billion
    Internet $ 2.5 billion
    CD-Rom $ 1.5 billion
    Novelties $ 1.0 billion
    Other $ 1.5 billion
 - Porn revenue is larger than all combined revenues of all professional football, baseball and basketball franchises.
 - US porn revenue exceeds the combined revenues of ABC, CBS, and NBC (6.2 billion)
 - Child pornography generates $3 billion annually
 - Average age of first Internet exposure to pornography 11 years old
 - Largest consumer of Internet pornography 12-17 age group
 - 15-17 year olds having multiple hard-core exposures 80%
 - 8-16 year olds having viewed porn online 90% (most while doing homework)
 - 7-17 year olds who would freely give out home address 29%
 - 7-17 year olds who would freely give out email address 14%
 - Children's characters linked to thousands of porn links 26 (including Pokeman and Action Man)
 - Men admitting to accessing pornography at work 20%
 - US adults who regularly visit Internet pornography websites 40 million
 - Promise Keeper men who viewed pornography in last week 53%
 - Christians who said pornography is a major problem in the home 47%
 - Adults admitting to Internet sexual addiction 10%
 - Breakdown of male/female visitors to pornography sites 72% male - 28% female
 - 13% of Women admit to accessing pornography at work.
 - 70% of women keep their cyber activities secret.
 - 17% of all women struggle with pornography addiction.
 - Women, far more than men, are likely to act out their behaviors in real life, such as having multiple partners, casual sex, or affairs.
 - Women favor chat rooms 2X more than men.
 - 1 of 3 visitors to all adult web sites are women.
 - 9.4 million women access adult web sites each month.
 - Pornographic websites 4.2 million (12% of total websites)
 - Pornographic pages 372 million
 - Daily pornographic search engine requests 68 million (25% of total search engine requests)
 - Daily pornographic emails 2.5 billion (8% of total emails)
 - Average daily pornographic emails/user 4.5 per Internet user
 - Monthly Pornographic downloads (Peer-to-peer) 1.5 billion (35% of all downloads)
 - Daily Gnutella "child pornography" requests 116 thousand
 - Websites offering illegal child pornography 100 thousand
 - Sexual solicitations of youth made in chat rooms 89%
 - Youths who received sexual solicitation 20%
 - Worldwide visitors to pornographic web sites 72 million annually

Bilal

Arfeen

Feb 24, 2008, 6:53:47 AM2/24/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
i cannot see youtube.com on my dsl, bt m.youtube.com is still
working.

arfeen

H.M

Feb 24, 2008, 7:53:58 AM2/24/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
This thing is technically possible but logically impossible.In Saudi
as well there are many websites blocked including Orkut and some other
normal websites as well but there are many bypass servers where it can
be accessed very easily.All orkut users and users of the blocked
websites access them through these websites ,one of the most pooular
ones is www.bypassserver.com

By the way right now its not working in WOL and Link Dot Net but I
thnk it is still working on Multinet.But if it is really blocked it
will be a huge loss for Internet users in Pakistan.
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 5:59 PM, Mustafa Rana <mustafa.r...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>         there is no need to do so, almost everybody gets busy on the proof.- Hide quoted text -

Osama A. Hashmi

Feb 24, 2008, 1:36:59 PM2/24/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Youtube back up in Isb.
--
"Isn't it a shame that nights go by and I do not increase in knowledge, yet this time is counted as part of my life?" - Al-Sha'fi

Faisal Khan

Feb 25, 2008, 3:22:00 AM2/25/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Well PK is being blamed for the YouTube IP hijack that occurred yesterday, which brought down YouTube for about 2 hours or so.

Whilst the offending video of the Dutch (Right-Wing) Politician Greet Wilders has been removed from YouTube, somehow PTCL hijacked the IP of YouTube, read: Published it - and via PCCW - the whole YouTube collapsed.

On PTCL's end, YouTube is still blocked. However, I fear, with this Wilders' video, we haven't seen an end to this... much more blocking would be coming forth in the near days.

Shakeel Ahmad

Feb 25, 2008, 3:56:39 AM2/25/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
OMG - and here we go - BGP loose canons perfect example :) i wonder why their upstream providers believe on their AS handling skills blindly.

Faisal Khan

Feb 25, 2008, 4:14:00 AM2/25/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Its not this faux pax that I'm worried about. This video when and where it gets posted will create a lot of problems.... should the video land on some caching servers of akamai - then we'd be in a pretty pickle.

Rehan Allah Wala

Feb 25, 2008, 4:57:56 PM2/25/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Wow

PTCL brought down 7th most visited site in the world.

That's quite an achivement,

Now we rank again #1 in destruction.

Rehan Ahmed AllahWala

Masud

Feb 25, 2008, 1:09:14 PM2/25/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
I don't think that PTCL or PIE can be blamed for this. A few weeks
ago, we found that a few subnets that we were not advertising to PCCW
magically ended up being advertised by PCCW.

When users complained of severe degradation, we investigated further
to find out what was happening: PTCL ITI was NOT advertising the
routes ... however the PCCW routers were 'announcing' those routes
which were actually withdrawn a few days ago.

Once we arrived at this conclusion, a PCCW UNGINEER 'soft refereshed'
the BGP table of PCCW router and voila! everything started working
fine!

PCCW is like a cannon on the loose! they don't even filter the routes
from their downstream customers!

Down with PCCW!

Masud

On Feb 26, 2:57 am, "Rehan Allah Wala" <re...@supertec.com> wrote:
> Wow
>
> PTCL brought down 7th most visited site in the world.
>
> That's quite an achivement,
>
> Now we rank again #1 in destruction.
>

> > Well PK is being blamed for the YouTube IP hijack that occurred yesterday, which brought down
> > YouTube for about 2 hours or so.
>
> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/technology/7262071.stm
>
> >http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9877614-7.html
>
> > Whilst the offending video of the Dutch (Right-Wing) Politician Greet Wilders has been removed
> > from YouTube, somehow PTCL hijacked the IP of YouTube, read: Published it - and via PCCW -
> > the whole YouTube collapsed.
>
> >http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg06299.html
>
> > On PTCL's end, YouTube is still blocked. However, I fear, with this Wilders' video, we haven't
> > seen an end to this... much more blocking would be coming forth in the near days.
>
> Rehan Ahmed AllahWala
> Msn/Yahoo/GoogleTalk/Email: Re...@Rehan.com
>
> http://www.supertec.com/- Internet Telephony Solutions
> Http://www.DIDX.net- DID Number Market Place.
> Don't Remember Me ? Visithttp://www.Rehan.com

Rizwan Sarwar

Feb 25, 2008, 5:23:05 PM2/25/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, the real responsibility is with PCCW, anyone can inject bad
routes, PCCW should make sure that they do filtering and only allow
authorized routes to be published to the rest of the world.

Rizwan

Imtiaz Noor

Feb 26, 2008, 4:20:32 AM2/26/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Youtube is back!
--
- Inspirex

Ashar

Feb 26, 2008, 5:58:13 AM2/26/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Saw Awab Vs the Minister for IT (or something like that) on Dawn News last
night. (Nice one Awab!)

Interesting how it never occurred to the govt to ask Youtube to take the
offending video down ("we are the govt., we dont ask private businesses to do
something!") . The actual video was so terrible, so lacking in
intellectual/artistic attributes and just plain crude and generally offensive
(not just to muslims) that there could be no question of leaving something
like that on a reputable site.

Instead of deserved obscurity, the guy is now famous....

Ashar

--
BOFH excuse #142:

new guy cross-connected phone lines with ac power bus.

signature.asc

Mustafa Rana

Feb 26, 2008, 8:23:55 AM2/26/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

Just heard, PTA is now issueing instructions to unblock Youtube !!!!

Rgds/Mustafa

Ahsan Javaid

Mar 7, 2008, 9:38:16 AM3/7/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
In the world of telecom .. u have to trust your neighbor .. and thats
how bgp works, so is it really a responsibility for all downstreamers
to look out and filter incoming routes coming from their clients?
Is it really practical? I bet PCCW would definitely be going for
something like that now.

Or do you mean that PCCW itself generated the malicious route?

Anyways, maybe the real

Zaeem Arshad

Mar 7, 2008, 11:24:36 PM3/7/08

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Ahsan Javaid <ahsan....@gmail.com> wrote:

>   In the world of telecom .. u have to trust your neighbor .. and thats how bgp works,

which has repeatedly shown its weakness. Prefix hijacking is a regular occurrence in today's 200+ IPv4 world but the prefixes are generally not that high profile to cause an alarm. S-BGP is being seriously considered now by vendors and operators. We may see S-BGP or alternatives offering secure routing updates coming out in the near future.

>  so is it really a responsibility for all downstreamers
>  to look out and filter incoming routes coming from their clients?

Yes..it's the responsibility of both the upstream and the downstream to filter the prefixes that are being sent/received.

>  Is it really practical?

Yes..have a look at IRR and RPSL to get a good idea how operators are doing it in today's world.

>  I bet PCCW would definitely be going for something like that now.

Unfortunately, PCCW has a very bad track record in this case. They have been known to leak prefixes like that in the past as well and known not to filter prefixes being received from their customers.

>  Or do you mean that PCCW itself generated the malicious route?

No. The route was advertised by PTCL as a /24 and PCCW failed to filter it. Both PCCW and PTCL are responsible in this case. Please see this to have a better understanding of the whole fiasco.

Regards

--
Zaeem