Sony Ericsson, Motorola and LG out of the race in Pakistan

Mudassar

Sep 12, 2008, 5:20:23 PM9/12/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan, sumaira....@gmail.com
Second quarter is going to end since Sony Ericsson mobile phones in
Pakistan were last seen in shops. I visited number of retailers and
found no phone. All the shopkeepers were found annoyed due to
negligence on the company’s part. According to them, guys from the
distributor (Teletec) keep visiting but never come back with the
phones. One of the dealers at Hafeez Center said that we have heard
number of times from Teletec that stock is in their stores and very
soon it will be at the selling points. Same we have been communicating
to the customers but it has been months. Ultimately we have started to
bring in-demand sets from the grey channels. I tell you, we are
selling W350 for Rs. 16,000 to 17,000 and the way others have started
also, soon you will see illegal Sony Ericsson sets all around. I’m
also planning to start a small lab inside my shop and entertain any
Sony Ericsson warranty.

Same ignorance can be seen from Motorola’s management but unlike Sony
Ericsson, their sets are not in demand as company has stopped working
on new models with zero R&D, told by the sales in-charge at Al-Hafeez
Mobile, Hafeez Center.

When asked by LG’s position from a leading wholeseller he said, “LG
has come down to almost 5% and that is due to its own company policy.
When their KG series was in full swing, they raised the prices in
order to compensate the loss they were making due to heavy credit
policy and as a result their sets are no where. I don’t see them
coming back at the same position as their handsets can’t be compared
with other brands in terms of quality”.

It seems that market is just revolving around two brands, Nokia and
Samsung. Million dollar question is what has made these three players,
Sony Ericsson, Motorola and LG, to stop adopting genuine marketing
practices? Answer to this is required for the success of handset
market in Pakistan.

Babar

Sep 13, 2008, 8:12:58 AM9/13/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
As you may have heard, Sony wants to get out of the relationship with
Ericsson. That is the easy one.

Motorola has been in trouble for a while - no focus, poor management
and Koreans are beating them up.

Watch out for Taiwanese companies like HTC, they are getting really
good. With Android around the corner, hardware may not be that big of
a deal anymore.

khalid seddiq

Sep 13, 2008, 9:14:31 AM9/13/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
i have personal experience of Nokia ,Sony and moto.

and i find a complete dissatisfaction with motorola L series. now it looks like work but its desire....

simplyyyy  Nokia  is best in pakista market as it has captured most  of the market...

momers

Sep 14, 2008, 3:10:59 AM9/14/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
Really. i still havent heard or read anything to suggest that Sony
Ericsson wants to break the JV.

Their market troubles globally stemmed from other reason and none had
to do with the venture itself which has proven to be a big
success...or would you rather say HAD?

Would appreciate more source info on this though.

Mudassar

Sep 14, 2008, 4:56:54 AM9/14/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
Yep...it is premature but i can feel that...the recent year was a
complete devastation for Sony Ericsson.

see this new on reuters
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSLR13097320080827

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/33306.php

Sony is not very much happy with the results.