250 Rs Addtional Duty

Haris Shamsi

Aug 28, 2008, 11:45:31 PM8/28/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
import duty.bmp

Tee Emm

Aug 29, 2008, 12:20:00 AM8/29/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
For those who are Urdu-challenged in the group, the English news item is available at:

http://www.dawn.com/2008/08/28/top11.htm

--
Tariq Mustafa MSN:t...@hotmail.com | Follow me here: http://friendfeed.com/abunet
Active Cell # http://tinyurl.com/2ob35t | Stuff I am sharing: http://tinyurl.com/2kagdu

Emma Goldman  - "If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal."

Afzal Anwar

Aug 28, 2008, 11:53:04 PM8/28/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
The whole electronic market in Karachi is buzzing with the price increase! Let it be Refrigerators, AC, TV, microwave or anything. They didnt even bother to increase the prices of imported items only, they have implemented their own increment even before the companies can launch the new prices.

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Haris Shamsi <haris....@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Afzal Anwar

Sameer Bokhari

Aug 29, 2008, 12:57:15 AM8/29/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
> An additional 15 per cent customs duty has been imposed on more than
> 300 items, including dairy products, fruit, chewing gum, chocolate,
> processed food, fruit juices, aerated waters, washing machines, plasma
> TV, ceramic products, air-conditioners, refrigerators, electric fans,
> toasters, microwave ovens, television sets, furniture and lighting
> equipment.
since the govt has almost minimal or no control over the illegal trade
channels the policy in a nuthshell is to discourage legal imports and
encourage smuggled goods, with no stop to the flight of capital in sight.!

There real problem is that of political instability, lawlessness, acute
power shortage , etc etc

Atif

Aug 29, 2008, 1:28:36 AM8/29/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
Thanks to democracy.

Haris Shamsi

Aug 29, 2008, 3:56:19 AM8/29/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Well ... how about PTA, MoITT start using their fundings + USF to support the establishment of local production. the operators could also invest in that ...... then only such decisions are justified.

i think its time to start doing some thing of same sort which india adopted a generation back and getting the fruits of it. "We will ride the fiats"

Good Day,
Haris Shamsi

Faried Nawaz

Aug 29, 2008, 1:30:58 PM8/29/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
On Aug 29, 10:28 am, Atif <shehzada...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to democracy.

That's right, there was no political instability, lawlessness, or
power shortages when we had no democracy.

Fawad Niazi

Aug 29, 2008, 11:57:59 PM8/29/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Commulative duty (250) is good for us as if its in terms of %age then a lot of other things add up on it. By the way 500 Activation Tax is also the duty on handset transfered to Operators for collection purpose. Operator take it on themselves and now crying for waiver.

Regarding local manufacturing, R&D Fund is there to support the local manufacturing/development of the new products but that need to be viable. USF cant do anything in this case as its domain is provision of services/infrastructure.

MoIT did a lot of working on local manufacturing issue with all local manufacturers of telecom equipment along with EDB and FBR. PTA also did a round of discussion with all stakeholders except MoIT  and then float EOI for consultancy in two weeks from already registered consultants :). Even local manufacturers are not interested in it unless untill Govt impose some measures to give the guaranteed sale numbers or huge tariff difference.

Each year EDB present the "industry case to FBR" so do the MoIT. In the end ball is in the domain of FBR as the psychy of manufacturers is that they need protectionist measures in terms of very high duty on import and zero duty on import of raw material by manufacturers.

We lack an innovative approach. People like to change Cell phone once in a year and need iphone or imate jam or Nokia N series...you cannot fulfill the demand which has no economy of scale.

Once you give committment to investors you usually and should not revise it for their confidence. We have free market and cant do the one sided decisions. Telecom operators can get into this business at their own if some incentive is there. MoIT cannot force the operators and users to chose locally manufactures BTS/Exchanges/CPEs unless your nation or operators propose it to do so.

If some one has good suggestion; do contact MoIT, R&D Company or EDB. I guess to raise some issue to FBR may end up in more duties on that :)

Wishing Pakistan all the best !!!!!!!!!

Fawad