Protecting ourselves in Cyberspace

misbaha...@googlemail.com

Jul 3, 2009, 7:42:44 AM7/3/09
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
Hi,

Much has been said on 'Protecting Children in Cyberspace'. Indeed,
there are scores of commissions, lots of dollars poured in West on
this issue. However, I dare say that still most of the perils remain
unidentified, unaddressed and neglected. Pakistan has different
dynamics than west, & we need to identify the challenges to our
society.

IMHO, below are threats to our society.

1. Violence and torture in online content:
Children learn what they see. This coupled with their natural
curiosity make them fertile ground to be silently taught violence.
Almost all sorts of movies are available via sharing sites, which
makes their access free and easy.
The violence and torture shown in such movies is extremely harmful to
everyone, let alone for children. It’s downright sinful to show
torture as a sign of bravery. Unfortunately however, such sinister
concepts are implanted in youth and children, who are unable to figure
out the thin lines of difference between valor and violence.

2. Religious extremism and terrorism:
While it is encouraging and extremely pleasant to state that youth in
our country are closely tied to the conventional madressah system, but
at the same time they are susceptible to online misguidance. Islam is
the religion of peace, love and tolerance. However, some people use it
for their vested interests, for evil purposes and brainwashing. As
Government of Pakistan has tightened the vigilance of such mongers,
online indoctrination remains a safe haven.
In addition to misinterpretation of Quran and Hadith, which is a
severe offense it its own right, some sites also publish (/post/
promote) the torture conducted on non-Muslims. This jeopardizes the
mental growth of youth, in particular.
Pakistan has been a victim of terrorism and suicide bombings. Most of
them have resulted from training in misguided Islamic schools. As
internet access expands from urban areas to rural areas, where parents
are less educated, have little insight into such mischief and are
seldom informed, children are vulnerable to such indoctrination.

3. Political exploitation, religious misinformation:
This is a severe issue but I wonder why it hasn’t received due
attention. Youth are our asset and internet can severely harm them.
This has been observed time and again that our adversaries have used
internet to canvass the innocent brains. At times, doubts are created
about the sincerity of our fore fathers who had sacrificed everything
for our beloved nation. At times, attempts are made to undermine the
valor of our armed forces. Another serious issue is the targeted
campaign to create turbulence and disharmony in our country. In
particular, the unbridled access to sites offering news and biased
views can really disturb the young minds. Pakistan is an Islamic
Republic, which does allow freedom of expression, but this should not
cost the integrity and sovereignty of nation.

One of the greatest impairment of information age lies in undermining
authenticity of speaker and narrator. Anyone can open a blog, and
spread whatever misinformation he intends to. Our adversaries
understand that our main power vests in our belief, faith and
religion. These have been brutally targeted, and half truth is used to
shake the belief and concepts. Youth are more vulnerable to such
exploitation and misinformation.

4. Loss of health and wealth:
Unbridled access to internet leads to loss of health. While
considerable attention is paid to this issue for office working
adults, children face greater threats. Internet games tend to reduce
children’s physical exercise, thus inhibiting their growth.
Another point of concern with these internet games comes in the loss
of money. Fraudulent companies exist online which leech away the
pocket of the players. In most of the cases, they require credit card
numbers or information of debit cards. In some cases, personal
information is also asked for.

5. Vulgar content/ sexual offending:
Much attention has been paid to this issue. Enormous amount of
research, attention and money has been spent on this. Interestingly,
most of the attention comes from the west, a society which considers
it harmless to adults. In some way, west has got trapped in its own
norms.
Whereas children are most vulnerable to sexual offending, indeed it
could affect their hormonal growth adversely if exposed to the vulgar
content; however, indecent content is not acceptable even to adults in
Pakistan. This helps minimize the threats caused by these offenders.
Analysis of top 100 sites most visited by Pakistani community shows 6
sites containing porn and sexual content. The first porn site comes at
27th number, while the rest all come pretty down the list. Whereas
this doesn’t prompt us to continue our slumber, our family system and
cultural norms put us in a better place to combat this issue.

Recommendations:

1. While PTA does censor some sites, however it needs to sharpen its
filter. This is easily said than done. Due to proxies and mirrors, it
is usually difficult to block such sites; however, PTA needs to
exercise stern control over the ISPs to block the browsing of such
sites. PTA can adopt auto tagging of websites to automate the process
of vigilance.
In general however, blocking the sites without caring for the mirrors
does bear results. Using sophisticated concepts such as mirrors and
redirection are not expected from teens. I don’t consider it a
guaranteed solution, but it can reduce the access to some extent.

2. Most of the adult content stems from external sources. Merely
blocking the sites will create vacuum for content, which if
unfulfilled by decent local content, will fail to bear results. The
fact that the site owner is subject to law will go a long way in
posting prohibitive content. Nor can such sites resort to mischief and
fraud.
PTA needs to introduce the benefits of hosting websites. In a longer
extent, this has roots in entrepreneurship, an idea discouraged in
Pakistan. There is enormous potential of revenue by producing local
content in our emerging market. Entrepreneurship, an infant idea here,
once stimulated can bring sheer profits. In general, if PTA can
initiate some equity based sponsorships to promote local content, it
can resolve the issue to a large extent.

3. Formation of a board of scholars to monitor the content This needs
joint efforts of PTA, Government of Pakistan and scholars. To counter
the perils caused by the terrorist organizations, mischief mongers as
well as those spreading misinformation about the basic belief, faith
and principles of Islam, there needs to be board of scholars,
responsible to vet the contents of Islamic websites, plus to aware the
masses of any canvassing and propaganda.
Due to the sensitivity of content, scholars from all the Islamic
schools of thought need to be part of the board. PTA and Government
may need to finance this nonprofit venture.

4. Government of Pakistan needs to create responsiveness in common
masses, in the same paths as family planning and other campaigns are
being run. Indeed, in rural areas, where literacy is low, this needs
to be done on urgent basis, lest it could spoil huge population.
Government of Pakistan needs to inform the parents and adults about
the opportunities as well as perils this cyberspace brings along. Most
of the solutions presented require the installation of some browsers
which block unsafe content. But such browsers will only be installed
at the will of the parents and guardians. The children by themselves
cannot be assumed mature enough to install such browsers. Indeed, if
they were, no such browsers were needed in first place: they simply
won’t access the harmful sites. This shows the importance of
generating consciousness in parents, teachers and guardians.

5. Provision of online games has considerably reduced the
participation of teens in physical exercises and sports. This has
detrimental effect on their physical growth and buildup.
Government of Pakistan needs to mandate sports at school and college
level. In addition, it needs to ask the several sports boards to
sponsor sports at grass root domestic level. Formal sponsorship of
domestic level sports has long been razed off. Government of Pakistan
needs to revive it. Creating such healthy opportunities and facilities
will reduce the time spent online.

6. Children are innocent. They can hardly distinguish between
preaching and exploitation, teaching and propaganda canvassing et al.
They are vulnerable to be grabbed by the political and ethnic
factions, which can use them for their evil purposes. Indeed, harmful
contents hosted online can result in disharmony in colleges, where
students join unions and movements. Thus, such seemingly minute
canvassing can lead to grave consequences.
Government of Pakistan needs to monitor the blogs and sites
perpetrated by religious and political factions. It needs to prepare a
more focused & elaborate code of conduct for the content hosted in
blogs and sites.

Sorry for a belated post on this topic. I do know that PTA already
has some of these. However, my recent interaction with some school and
college students triggered me to ponder over this & share my thoughts.

Regards,
MisbahUddin Abdullah

Faried Nawaz

Jul 3, 2009, 8:32:35 AM7/3/09
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
"misbaha...@googlemail.com" <misbaha...@googlemail.com> writes:

> IMHO, below are threats to our society.
>
> 1. Violence and torture in online content:

> 2. Religious extremism and terrorism:
>

> 3. Political exploitation, religious misinformation:
>

> 4. Loss of health and wealth:
>

> 5. Vulgar content/ sexual offending:

More people in Pakistan are exposed to these 'cultural threats' on a
daily basis in real life than they ever are online.

> Recommendations:

Either you want the internet turned off, or you don't understand how it
works.

> 1. While PTA does censor some sites, however it needs to sharpen its
> filter. This is easily said than done. Due to proxies and mirrors, it
> is usually difficult to block such sites; however, PTA needs to
> exercise stern control over the ISPs to block the browsing of such
> sites. PTA can adopt auto tagging of websites to automate the process
> of vigilance.

Why are you willing to let the PTA decide for you what people in
Pakistan should or shouldn't be able to do online? What is it about the
PTA that makes you think you can trust them? They can't even secure
their own website!

> In general however, blocking the sites without caring for the mirrors
> does bear results. Using sophisticated concepts such as mirrors and
> redirection are not expected from teens. I don’t consider it a
> guaranteed solution, but it can reduce the access to some extent.

Blocking sites is a waste of time and money, and a failure. This has
been proven time and time again.

> 2. Most of the adult content stems from external sources. Merely
> blocking the sites will create vacuum for content, which if
> unfulfilled by decent local content, will fail to bear results. The
> fact that the site owner is subject to law will go a long way in
> posting prohibitive content. Nor can such sites resort to mischief and
> fraud.
> PTA needs to introduce the benefits of hosting websites. In a longer
> extent, this has roots in entrepreneurship, an idea discouraged in
> Pakistan. There is enormous potential of revenue by producing local
> content in our emerging market. Entrepreneurship, an infant idea here,
> once stimulated can bring sheer profits. In general, if PTA can
> initiate some equity based sponsorships to promote local content, it
> can resolve the issue to a large extent.

I don't understand this point. I don't think you've explained this
properly. What does blocking external adult content have to do with
encouraging local content? They're two different issues. Just because
someone can't get to a porn site doesn't mean they'll turn to
http://geo.tv/.

> 3. Formation of a board of scholars to monitor the content This needs
> joint efforts of PTA, Government of Pakistan and scholars. To counter
> the perils caused by the terrorist organizations, mischief mongers as
> well as those spreading misinformation about the basic belief, faith
> and principles of Islam, there needs to be board of scholars,
> responsible to vet the contents of Islamic websites, plus to aware the
> masses of any canvassing and propaganda.
> Due to the sensitivity of content, scholars from all the Islamic
> schools of thought need to be part of the board. PTA and Government
> may need to finance this nonprofit venture.

Because scholars from all the Islamic schools of thought get along *JUST
FINE* already, right?

> 4. Government of Pakistan needs to create responsiveness in common
> masses, in the same paths as family planning and other campaigns are
> being run. Indeed, in rural areas, where literacy is low, this needs
> to be done on urgent basis, lest it could spoil huge population.
> Government of Pakistan needs to inform the parents and adults about
> the opportunities as well as perils this cyberspace brings along. Most
> of the solutions presented require the installation of some browsers
> which block unsafe content. But such browsers will only be installed
> at the will of the parents and guardians. The children by themselves
> cannot be assumed mature enough to install such browsers. Indeed, if
> they were, no such browsers were needed in first place: they simply
> won’t access the harmful sites. This shows the importance of
> generating consciousness in parents, teachers and guardians.

'Cyberspace' is less of a problem than you think. Clean water, now
that's a problem the government should do something about.

(Electricity, too, while we're at it.)

> 5. Provision of online games has considerably reduced the
> participation of teens in physical exercises and sports. This has
> detrimental effect on their physical growth and buildup.
> Government of Pakistan needs to mandate sports at school and college
> level. In addition, it needs to ask the several sports boards to
> sponsor sports at grass root domestic level. Formal sponsorship of
> domestic level sports has long been razed off. Government of Pakistan
> needs to revive it. Creating such healthy opportunities and facilities
> will reduce the time spent online.

Will my children be forced to play cricket in school? I don't want some
bureaucrat in Islamabad deciding what sports my kids should or shouldn't
play.

I don't want YOU deciding that, either.

> 6. Children are innocent. They can hardly distinguish between
> preaching and exploitation, teaching and propaganda canvassing et al.
> They are vulnerable to be grabbed by the political and ethnic
> factions, which can use them for their evil purposes. Indeed, harmful
> contents hosted online can result in disharmony in colleges, where
> students join unions and movements. Thus, such seemingly minute
> canvassing can lead to grave consequences.
> Government of Pakistan needs to monitor the blogs and sites
> perpetrated by religious and political factions. It needs to prepare a
> more focused & elaborate code of conduct for the content hosted in
> blogs and sites.

How will the government keep husbands from beating their wives (or vice
versa -- it happens) in front of their kids?

Faried.
--
(> (length "eclipse") (length "emacs")) => T

Faried Nawaz

Jul 3, 2009, 8:39:52 AM7/3/09
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
On a related note, on June 9, a cousin of mine posted (using her phone):

facebook is blocked due to a security policy of National University
of Sciences & Technology......

The use of Facebook is a security issue now?

Or is it a case of an aggressive attempt to 'protect our kids in
cyberspace'?

bstr...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2009, 10:55:54 PM7/5/09
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
I will agree with Faried here and will add just one thing that the more you stop your kids from something the more they get tempted to discover. However government taking steps is a good thing to have an overall local acess points to screen the content. In the matter of kids the counseling by the parents help and undercover check on their activity. It's however good that you should talk more and more to your kids, you are not beating them up on opening an inappropiate site but instead building your trust into them  by talking to them because the more you put pressure on them, the more they start hiding thigns from you.

Idea Telecom started off with Teen Counseling over a hotline as one of their Value Added Services. I suggested the same service here to one of the TOs in Pakistan before Idea Cellular but nothing was put into the venue. We are though very far behind from the mindset of counseling which is the main hurdle or contention in improving our society. You cannot say or suggest anything to anyone on their lifestyle. They take it personally, why shouldn't they becasue they are being hit on their personal tags but if they understand the point, that is to imrpove 1 and make 10 follow.

Thanks,

misbaha...@googlemail.com

Jul 6, 2009, 1:41:12 AM7/6/09
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
Hi,
Thank you Faried for taking the time to go through the post and for
your comments.
>>> More people in Pakistan are exposed to these 'cultural threats' on a
daily basis in real life than they ever are online. <<<

Does that mean we should continue our slumber, and neglect the threats
‘cyberspace’ poses? I didn’t get the point behind comparing the
‘threats posed in real life’ with ‘the threats online’. I hope you
agree that internet penetration is increasing in Pakistan & reaching
rural areas.

>>> Why are you willing to let the PTA decide for you what people in
Pakistan should or shouldn't be able to do online? What is it about
the
PTA that makes you think you can trust them? They can't even secure
their own website! <<<

1. I wished there were some other ‘authority’ or agency I could hope
to get this done. Would you plz let me know which agency in Pakistan
should be looking after this.
2. I want PTA to look into these in a similar way I want Police to
maintain law and order in society. If some one breaches the law and
order of our vicinity, what do we do? Try to approach the police or
sit back and relax? I hope we know our responsibilities towards
society.

>>> Blocking sites is a waste of time and money, and a failure. This has
been proven time and time again.<<<

Agreed. Look forward for some better solution from you!

>>> I don't understand this point. I don't think you've explained this
properly. What does blocking external adult content have to do with
encouraging local content? They're two different issues. Just
because
someone can't get to a porn site doesn't mean they'll turn to
http://geo.tv/. <<<

1. Are we sure our kids ‘purposely visit internet for porn’? I don’t
think so. Even if that is the case, it has got to be a minority. My
humble suggestion is to engage the youth in useful online activities.
I feel that the absence of ‘attractive local content’ creates vacuum
which gives opportunities for unhealthy sites to get attention.
Research shows online users prefer local content [that’s why its more
successful to advertise in sites with local content]. Our university
teacher used to say, ‘Darkness is the absence of light’.
2. Despite the fact that no one blocks porn in Pakistan, still more
people visit Geo than porn. Alexa shows Geo at 15,Jang at 18,rozee at
21, while first porn site comes at 28. Emergence of sites with local
content will push porn even further down the list.

>>>'Cyberspace' is less of a problem than you think. Clean water, now
that's a problem the government should do something about.
(Electricity, too, while we're at it.) <<<

1. May be. But it still is a more serious problem than blocking of
facebook in a university.
2. I hope Government can multitask.
3. May be we are unable to resolve electricity and clean water problem
bcoz we were not groomed like that in our youth. Problem solving is an
attitude and state of mind.

>>> Will my children be forced to play cricket in school? I don't want some
bureaucrat in Islamabad deciding what sports my kids should or
shouldn't
play.
I don't want YOU deciding that, either. <<<

Lolz! I didn’t get it. I had suggested to mandate sports, not a
particular kind of sports. If you had meant that you don’t want Gov of
Pak to mandate ‘any kind’ of sports, than this is a poor state of
mind.

>>>How will the government keep husbands from beating their wives (or vice
versa -- it happens) in front of their kids? <<<

??? I am astonished to see this comment! Domestic violence will
increase if kids see torture online. Agreed?

Regards,

On Jul 3, 5:32 pm, Faried Nawaz <not...@b.org.pk> wrote:
> someone can't get to a porn site doesn't mean they'll turn tohttp://geo.tv/.
>  application_pgp-signature_part
> < 1KViewDownload

Rakesh Kumar

Jul 6, 2009, 12:52:59 PM7/6/09
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Government has to come up with policy on these issues, hands down. How rational that policy would be, well, we don't have a great track-record there. Content Filtering/Websites Blocking could be an interesting area for entrepreneurial efforts also.

@Misbah: Are there statistics other than the ranking of content? Like, traffic volume, pageviews/day? I like the notion that quality local content generation would help but would it displace the demand for porn, well, hard call.

--
Rakesh

misbaha...@googlemail.com

Jul 10, 2009, 9:32:57 PM7/10/09
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
Hi,

@ Faried,

>>> What is it about the PTA that makes you think you can trust them? They can't even secure their own website! <<<

I hope you would be tempted to ask ' The Treasury Department, Secret
Service, Federal Trade Commission and Transportation Department Web'
of USA, Gov Agencies in USA fighting cyber crime, 'South Korea
presidential Blue House, the Defense Ministry of South Korea, the
South Korea National Assembly, Shinhan Bank, Korea Exchange Bank and
top Internet portal Naver' to shut down their offices, since "They
can't even secure their own website!"

In case you do intend to write to them, plz keep me in bcc ;-)

@ Rakesh,

I understand that the traffic volume may be higher for a site that
comes lower in Alexa rating. But sorry you didnt get the context of my
post.
Assume there are 150 people. 100 have access to internet. 80 access
geo.tv while 50 access porn. My context is to prevent the remaining 50
who do have access to internet from accessing porn, plus ( & more
importantly) those 50 more who will be having access to internet in
upcoming future. Those who are already addict to porn will still be
accessing it, but the relative percentage will decline as internet
penetration increases. Hence, the fact that people accessing
inappropriate content generate greater traffic volume is irrelevant.
The actual interest is to prevent those who donot access them ,from
falling addict to them. Once they do fall prey to it, it doesn't
matter how much they access it ( since a bottle or ten bottles of wine
mean the same to me).

Finally, let me restate the genesis behind my initial post.
Access to information is every one’s rights, adult or teen, male or
female. In this information age, internet is the source of
information, education, entertainment and guidance. However, along
with this come several perils. Unfortunately tough, most of the perils
remain unidentified, unaddressed and neglected. Among the most severe
threat to our society lies in the violence and torture shown by
several sites. Due to legal security in west behind 'sharing sites',
torrents and peer to peer networks, movies and videos containing
torture and violence are easily spread. Such contents damage the
innocent minds and present torture as valor. Another danger rarely
addressed is the religious exploitation and extremism grown in hungry
minds. Pakistan has been a victim of terrorism and suicide bombings,
and our adversaries can easily target our youth to implant extremism.
Sexual offending and vulgar content spoil the health and hormonal
growth of youth. However despite being a known issue, lack of
awareness among parents and teachers allows unbridled access to such
content. Yet another issue is the misinformation and misguidance
spread as regards the religion as well as our nation. Mischief mongers
use blogs and sites to perpetrate damaging information about political
as well as religious beliefs.

I iterate that the issue of 'inappropriate content' is not as severe
an issue in our society than the other four perils. Plz note that its
easy to check if your kid is watching porn or not, but how will you
monitor if the site your son accesses is implanting hatred against
you, your faith, or your country?

What about religious misinformation? A person is tried in court for
blasphemy. While his guilt is quite evident, his case lingers. When
someone killed him, his team goes 'under the cover'. 15 years later,
his team resurges on the internet, presenting themselves as
'scholars'. How can we protect our kids from them?

Regards,
Misbahuddin Abdullah