OOXML issue and Meeting PSQCA

Wasim Baig

Oct 26, 2007, 12:27:14 AM10/26/07
to TGP, Fouad Bajwa
Thanks Faraz Khan of Emergen who forwarded this to me ...

TGP should present unified support to this cause ...

I'm sending this to you as I know that everybody on this list cares about the local and international IT policies of the government which affect all of us. I do not know if you are aware but there is a huge battle going on worldwide regarding the OOXML issue. To read up on this please check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML
http://ooxmlisdefectivebydesign.blogspot.com/

OOXML is a office document standard Microsoft is proposing which is pending ISO standardization for office document files.

There is far too much corruption going on in the world and some corrupt governments which are run by Microsoft (including, sadly, unsurprisingly, ours) are voting FOR OOXML.

THERE IS NO REASON TO VOTE FOR OOXML SINCE THERE ALREADY IS A STANDARD - ODF.

OOXML is firstly, not a proper standard and secondly, leaves gaping holes for Microsoft to 'close' it in the future. This cannot be allowed to happen. The standard of the future is ODF and Microsoft should not be allowed to ruin our future further.

ISO needs consent of 2/3rd majority by the world countries to push OOXML as a standard. Moreover, our beloved Pakistan has initially voted FOR OOXML (The meeting was held hush-hush by the PSQCA and on the board were 4 Microsoft Gold members!!).

FSF India (Free Sofware Foundation, India) has moved their government to say a unanimous NO to the OOXML issue (half the countries in the world have voted AGAINST it, countries where corruption is high have voted FOR it)

Involvement from your side in this meeting to vote AGAINST OOXML can help force our country's decision.  If you wish to help, please acknowledge. Fouad Bajwa is copied on this email who is organizing a 'movement' against OOXML and making a case to the government in the next meeting.

--
wasim h. baig | principal consultant | convergence pk | +92 300 8508070

Sajjad Zaidi

Oct 26, 2007, 1:38:08 AM10/26/07
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com, Fouad Bajwa
Off course, MS will gladly vote for a competing standard when they have ulterior motives so to speak. They voted for ODF to be included as part of ANSI back in May of this year:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/may07/05-16ANSIVotePR.mspx

Though reading the following, it all becomes a tad confusing as to why they did this:

http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/blog/2007/05/microsoft_backs_odf_as_ansi_st.html

The responses from Pakistan and India appear to echo those for the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) project. While the Pakistanis welcomed the initiative, apparently without much thought, the Indians questioned its effectiveness due to such a large number of their population living below the poverty line ($100 was money better spent on feeding and clothing a starving child).

We need to get our government to think outside the box and think things through instead of blindly putting their faith in the biggest names out there and it's forums like TGP that could convince them to do this.

Ashar

Oct 26, 2007, 2:37:13 AM10/26/07
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com

TGP will not influence anyone in power. We can discuss issues, clarify and
analyse. To actually DO anything we have to interact directly with PSEB, MoIT
and even PSQCA. The only organisation that can do this is PASHA, I think.

I have to say that I never thought of the PSQCA as relevant to me !

Ashar

Dr. Awab Alvi

Feb 3, 2008, 5:36:26 PM2/3/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
I might be opening up an old topic, but does anyone know what transpired of the OOXML which Pakistan was so eager to quickly approve.  Some people were kind enough to alert me that it is possible that Pakistan and Microsoft might be all too eager to finalize the adoption here in Pakistan.  I ain't privy to the specifics and it could all be just another rumor but considering the hush-hush silence through which our govt passed the E-Crime Bill - I would rather be safe / alert then sorry.

Links to better understand the OOXML issue

Can someone update us of its progress locally here in Pakistan

--
Awab Alvi
http://teeth.com.pk/blog

Ashar

Feb 4, 2008, 12:56:51 AM2/4/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com, Dr. Awab Alvi

Well, process is ongoing.

All the members of the committee were invited by Microsoft to Dubai for a fact
finding tour
I believe that the trip has been made and many facts have been found ;-)

Current stage is that impartial panel of experts as Core Nucleus Group will be
formed. This will consist of people from PSQCA (2 reps), and one each from
IT (dont know what that means, but probably someone from the Ministry),
Pasha, Fast. Also on board will be the Chairman of the Technical Committee
and Qazi Mashhood as independent expert (Qazi sahib works for Kalsoft, a
Microsoft partner and so his independence is questionable).

IBM, Microsoft and LinuxPakistan will then present their positions to the
panel of experts. Terms of reference include:
  • The protection of the Country’s interests regarding the DIS
    •   Compatibility Factors
    •   Workability of the DIS under reference
    •   The technical evaluation
    •   Financial implications
    •   Future strategy

I'd like to see what possible arguments anyone could put forward regarding
OOXML and the national interest. If I am going to have to buy Microsoft Vista
(Rs7000) and Office (Rs9000) to read any official electronic document then
that is not a good thing. Financial implications for the govt are horrendous
(quick, if the govt has 100,000 pcs and each needs Rs16,000 worth of MS
software just to boot,, thats about 1.6Billion Rupees). Not bad for sending a
couple of dozen people to Dubai.

See also http://linuxpakistan.org/ooxml/index.php

Pricing info from the web:
http://www.shophive.com/shophive/Softwares-c-316.pakistan.html
http://www.makarts.com/new/index.php?cPath=2_118

Ashar

On Monday 04 February 2008 03:36:26 Dr. Awab Alvi wrote:
> I might be opening up an old topic, but does anyone know what transpired of
> the OOXML which Pakistan was so eager to quickly approve. Some people were
> kind enough to alert me that it is possible that Pakistan and Microsoft
> might be all too eager to finalize the adoption here in Pakistan. I ain't
> privy to the specifics and it could all be just another rumor but
> considering the hush-hush silence through which our govt passed the E-Crime
> Bill - I would rather be safe / alert then sorry.
>

> *Links to better understand the OOXML issue**
> *
>
> - http://www.noooxml.org/start
> - http://www.noooxml.org/ballotresults - watch Pakistan highlighted in

> the YES column with all the other 'developing' nations

> - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3LpCQAGzs - youtube video

signature.asc