Phone number hacked?

Babar

May 12, 2008, 10:02:54 PM5/12/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan, samb...@yahoo.com
I got this email from a reader and wanted to see if anyone has heard
of such issue.
I am here to ask guidance from a qualified person. In Fact, I have
been facing a lot of trouble for the last many weeks.It seems as if my
U fone number has been hacked by someone.I have been receiving calls
from multiple spoofed numbers which include mobile and land line
id's.My sms messages are intercepted before or after they are
delivered to my friends.The sender(Hacker) has full command over the
delivery date, time and telephone number of his choice and he can read
my messages and send a reply from any cell number he desires.I am
puzzled.Is it possible for one to do it?I have sent complaints to the
Ufone and PTA authorities through email but they didn't consider to
heed them.Could someone please tell me what should I do in this
situation?I shall further admire your co operation if you send me an
email or explain the whole situation here, in this blog..I will most
certainly visit this page after a few
days.Thanks !!..samb...@yahoo.com
----------------------

Babar

Shahrukh Rafi

May 13, 2008, 12:23:21 AM5/13/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
switch your operator (MNP)

Arif H

May 12, 2008, 11:50:39 PM5/12/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
The only way to get 'hacked' to the extent described below is 'Legal
Intercept' (that I am aware of)....

aamir attaa

May 13, 2008, 12:52:39 AM5/13/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Yes,

Sadly that's possible...

I am not going to narrate the details how they do it, as it may reveal very crucial information through which one can intercept your GSM communication.

The victim must change his/her number, changing the operator may not help him/her much....

Regards
Aamir Attaa
http://www.propakistani.com

Imtiaz Noor

May 13, 2008, 1:11:16 AM5/13/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
You cant control the sms messages even if one had a sim replica. Which is an existing technology.

Seems like lawful intercept technology has landed in the hands of someone irresponsibe.
--
- Inspirex

Salman Ansari

May 13, 2008, 3:44:24 AM5/13/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com

I really wonder if this can be done by anyone else other than the Operator (at the MSC) or by the legal intercept spooks. I have unfortunately deployed some of this stuff myself and know that it is the L.I. people who do this. For the operator (or his staff)  to do so opens them up for massive law suits and loss of market share due to any scandal.

As far I know, GSM is not easy (and cost effective like doing this to an AMPS or CDMA systems) for a casual hacker to do so. If someone knows how to do this as a garden variety hacker, I can see untold riches for him….!

Salman

Asif Hanafi

May 13, 2008, 3:50:03 AM5/13/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
maybe he should try and set a pin-code...

Asif Hanafi

May 13, 2008, 3:53:52 AM5/13/08
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
To be quite fair, this sounds like a phone hack and not a sim hack. I havent come across anything that "controls" sending sms msgs or changing time. That doesnt make sense, the persons phone could be hacked, might be communicating with the hacker via gprs.
He should try, setting a pin-code and a different handset.

Shakeel Ahmad

May 13, 2008, 9:10:18 AM5/13/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
I doubt its a hacking job - we know L.I has been there from some time
and its very hard to imagine someone misusing L.I - Most of the
companies are outsourcing their call-centers now a days and there's a
high chance that the applications are misused by CSR within Operator
or their partners. Some companies have high standards and maintain
logs of when the applications or customer records was access and by
whom but i'm not sure if every one do that. Might be PTA should look
into this and create some standards for customer privacy.

>> he can read my messages and send a reply from any cell number he desires

as above i would call it inside job - and remaining portion of
(sending a reply/message from any number) , its very easy - there are
number of free API's and website available on iNET which can fake the
SMS source. Someone expert can explain that as well.

thanks,
Shakeel

On May 13, 12:53 pm, "Asif Hanafi" <asifhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To be quite fair, this sounds like a phone hack and not a sim hack. I havent
> come across anything that "controls" sending sms msgs or changing time. That
> doesnt make sense, the persons phone could be hacked, might be communicating
> with the hacker via gprs.
> He should try, setting a pin-code and a different handset.
>
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Asif Hanafi <asifhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > maybe he should try and set a pin-code...
>
> > On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Salman Ansari <sal...@super.net.pk>
> > wrote:
>
> > > I really wonder if this can be done by anyone else other than the
> > > Operator (at the MSC) or by the legal intercept spooks. I have unfortunately
> > > deployed some of this stuff myself and know that it is the L.I. people who
> > > do this. For the operator (or his staff) to do so opens them up for massive
> > > law suits and loss of market share due to any scandal.
>
> > > As far I know, GSM is not easy (and cost effective like doing this to an
> > > AMPS or CDMA systems) for a casual hacker to do so. If someone knows how to
> > > do this as a garden variety hacker, I can see untold riches for him….!
>
> > > Salman

Shakeel Ahmad

May 13, 2008, 9:10:27 AM5/13/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
I doubt its a hacking job - we know L.I has been there from some time
and its very hard to imagine someone misusing L.I - Most of the
companies are outsourcing their call-centers now a days and there's a
high chance that the applications are misused by CSR within Operator
or their partners. Some companies have high standards and maintain
logs of when the applications or customer records was access and by
whom but i'm not sure if every one do that. Might be PTA should look
into this and create some standards for customer privacy.

>> he can read my messages and send a reply from any cell number he desires

as above i would call it inside job - and remaining portion of
(sending a reply/message from any number) , its very easy - there are
number of free API's and website available on iNET which can fake the
SMS source. Someone expert can explain that as well.

thanks,
Shakeel

On May 13, 12:53 pm, "Asif Hanafi" <asifhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To be quite fair, this sounds like a phone hack and not a sim hack. I havent
> come across anything that "controls" sending sms msgs or changing time. That
> doesnt make sense, the persons phone could be hacked, might be communicating
> with the hacker via gprs.
> He should try, setting a pin-code and a different handset.
>
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Asif Hanafi <asifhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > maybe he should try and set a pin-code...
>
> > On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Salman Ansari <sal...@super.net.pk>
> > wrote:
>
> > > I really wonder if this can be done by anyone else other than the
> > > Operator (at the MSC) or by the legal intercept spooks. I have unfortunately
> > > deployed some of this stuff myself and know that it is the L.I. people who
> > > do this. For the operator (or his staff) to do so opens them up for massive
> > > law suits and loss of market share due to any scandal.
>
> > > As far I know, GSM is not easy (and cost effective like doing this to an
> > > AMPS or CDMA systems) for a casual hacker to do so. If someone knows how to
> > > do this as a garden variety hacker, I can see untold riches for him….!
>
> > > Salman

Majid Farid

May 13, 2008, 12:12:49 PM5/13/08
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
LI is a very dangerous facility if it falls in wrong hand. Their has
been a case in Greece where LI landed in wrong hands and their was a
national investigation into the incident as the CTO company committed
suicide later on.

With our current situation in Pakistan LI is a must for our
intelligence agency. Salman saab is a old player in this field and he
would second me that agencies have always been in very close
interaction with operators and they want all access to network and
all the time.

If someone from ufone is on the list kindly help Barber's friend it
would be worth checking!

/Majid