5 minute talks at Edinburgh Tech Meetup on 8th Sep ... speakers wanted!

1 view

James

Aug 22, 2010, 5:39:34 PM8/22/10
to Tech Meetup

Next Edinburgh Tech Meetup will feature the return of the 5 minute
talks. 5 minute talks are designed to be small and easy to do so that
you (yes YOU) will do a talk about your current project, even if it's
not finished yet or is just a bit of fun ...

One change we will make is actually allowing 7 minutes - 5 for talking
and 2 for questions, but if your talk is less than 5 minutes you can
take more questions. But there will be a big clock and we will be
enforcing this. For speed of switch-over, everyone will all use one
laptop so make sure your talk is in slides, pdf, or online somehow ..
no heavy set-ups allowed.

I have some ideas and will be chasing people, but if your interested
in doing one email me off-list with a brief description and title and
we will sort it out.

Thanks, and see you then!

James
@jarofgreen

James

Sep 3, 2010, 9:17:47 AM9/3/10
to Tech Meetup
Techmeetup Edinburgh happens on 8/9/10, on the 8th floor of Appleton
Tower – we did try for the 11th, but they hadn't thought to build it.

The talks will all be a maximum of 5 minutes long, with questions
allowed afterwards, and they are:

* http://www.getbloop.com/ is dead! Long live ..... ? We're hoping for
a live demo of the new Bloop from one of the team.

* Paul Richards talks about motivating personal projects with time
based releases - and hopefully showing us at least one pretty picture
from his own personal project on Fractals. (@pauldoo)

* Gergely Orosz talks about Windows Phone 7 - an Opportunity for
Developers? (@GergelyOrosz)

* Gestural Interfaces - are they getting out of control? From the new
User Experience Glasgow-based outfit We Make Sense - http://www.wemakesense.net/
(@wemakesenseux)

* Finally, we get a talk on Hacker-spaces – some experiences, and an
introduction to the new Edinburgh one. In true communal hack-lab style
I'm not even sure how many people and who is giving this one.

We'll kick of the talks about 7:30pm (but we will do introductions and
any announcements before then, like http://www.barcamp.org/barcampGlasgow2
).

We could fit another one or two talks in, so if you want to do one
email me off-list. 5 minutes is timed to be really easy to do, so even
if your project is still in progress step right up ...

So come along – we promise good talks with better jokes than mine
(hopefully) – see you there!

James

Sep 5, 2010, 9:04:59 AM9/5/10
to Tech Meetup

Add to the list One Thumb Mobile, who have volunteered to speak about
their under-development MMORPG "Highland Warrior" for iPhone/iPad.
http://onethumbmobile.com/

Thanks to them and all the speakers in advance. We could squeeze one
more in if anyone wanted ... ?

See you on Wed,