To managed or not to managed

Arnold Santos

Dec 9, 2014, 6:56:14 PM12/9/14
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We are in a stage of reviewing how our infrastructure should be for next year 2015. Given the fact that nowadays all are opting to use the cloud as their storage. I'm just wondering should we just release all our school-owned devices from being managed by MS AD and treat them as their own device and use the common Google Drive as main storage and just give rights of access to the particular group. Since every device nowadays are capable of accessing them, why not maximize the use of it. We have a pods of netbooks, macbooks, ipad and chromebooks and instead of having a local shared folder, why not use the drive for it. All docs and files readily accessible by then, bandwith should not be an issue I suppose since we are already on Fibre (N4L). BYOD are already established and being used, but need to be fully utilized. Printing are only be done thru teacher and not by the student. The use of Google Apps for Educ are the primary tools instead of MS Office suite or Apple iWorks, but they can still upload their files if they insist.

Anyone who would like to gives an idea are most welcome.

Regards,

Arnold

Gerard MacManus

Dec 9, 2014, 7:25:10 PM12/9/14
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I can think of a couple of reasons to leave them on ad, mainly around maintenance and troubleshooting, wifi access, windows updates and general software rollout a through group policy. Antivirus.

Gerard MacManus
St Bedes College

Arnold Santos

Dec 9, 2014, 7:28:55 PM12/9/14
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We are also using Meraki System Manager and I'm thinking will this be sufficient to do techie stuff? We're planning to eliminate the local shared folders as much as possible. AV should be there by default.

--
Arnold B. Santos
ICT Systems Administrator

Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.8
Apple Certified Support Professional
10.8

This email may contain confidential information intended for the recipient. If you receive this email in error please contact me.