Some backup?

Leigh Blackall

Nov 23, 2017, 10:18:43 PM11/23/17
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com

rgrozdanic

Nov 24, 2017, 12:47:06 AM11/24/17
to teachandlearnonline
Some context?

Inline images 1

TALO Links

Leigh Blackall

Nov 26, 2017, 5:56:07 PM11/26/17
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah, sorry Rose. I don't know why you're getting prompted to log in, I tested it and was able to view comments anonymously...

It's the online deliberation space for the public consultation around the Australian Digital Economy Strategy.

Response to it has been dismal. I'm writing a paper around that, and criticising the shadow neoliberal premises, such as in the Consultation Paper.

The link I sent here, goes to the "ideas" I posted to the deliberation space. The ideas are the typically racial departure from the agenda set down by the ministry, but my postings are my attempt to show that through contrast, as well as to measure their impact for inclusion in the paper I'm writing.

2 days left.

Regards,
Leigh

On 24 Nov 2017 16:47, "rgrozdanic" <rgroz...@gmail.com> wrote:
Some context?

Inline images 1
On 24 November 2017 at 14:18, Leigh Blackall <leighb...@gmail.com> wrote:

TALO Links

Leigh Blackall

Nov 26, 2017, 5:57:12 PM11/26/17
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
You should be able to avoid logging in, by clicking the header image of the page to go "home", and then clicking into each area and it's idea from there...

Leigh Blackall

Nov 26, 2017, 6:03:24 PM11/26/17
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com

rgrozdanic

Nov 30, 2017, 11:59:51 PM11/30/17
to teachandlearnonline
Thanks Leigh.

I'm out of touch with everything nowadays. It's disconcerting and I hate being out of the flow of ideas and the diverse communities that were so ubiquitous in the early part of this century. Everything feels so shiny and teflon and I can't seem to get traction. So I don't have any opinion or comment to make.  (I KNOW. How can you be sure this is me speaking? I don't recognise me either :-/)

The only comment I will make is how enjoyable it has been to watch you grow and develop over the last 12 years - you were such a ratbag then and when I read you now I see an incredibly articulate and evolved ratbag who hasn't lost any of his brilliance but certainly most of the rough edges.

I hope your submission is effective.

best wishes

TALO Links

Leigh Blackall

Dec 1, 2017, 1:02:14 AM12/1/17
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rose :) I don't expect it will have an impact. But at least it will go in the record, for what that's worth. I'll try and finish it this weekend. Please feel free to leave comments in the document if you'd like.

Alexander Hayes

Dec 1, 2017, 5:52:10 AM12/1/17
to teachandl...@googlegroups.com
“....In a 1995 article, appeared in “Le Monde Diplomatique”, the French theorist of technology, Paul Virilio, describes the phenomenon of the loss of orientation experienced by the exponentially increasing crowd which is relentlessly enthralled in cyberspace. Virilio observes that the construction of information superhighways, which are globalized and instantaneously updated, presents us with a threat, a menace to our perception of what reality is, of what it means for us to exist, as individuals, here and now. Induced by the splitting of the sensible world into real and virtual in parallel with the “invention of the perspective of real-time”, this threat causes a shock, a “mental concussion”, that hooks the happenings of events to a globalized monorail track.”

Sparacino, F., Pentland, A. & Davenport, G., 1999. City of News. SIGGRAPH Abstracts. Available at: http://mf.media.mit.edu/pubs/journal/CityOfNewsKOS.pdf.

Regards,

Alexander Hayes
+61427996984

Leigh Blackall

Dec 1, 2017, 6:09:21 AM12/1/17
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Well put! Will add that reference!

Alexander Hayes

Dec 1, 2017, 10:35:14 AM12/1/17
to teachandl...@googlegroups.com
Did you share that Google Doc with me? Are we co-authoring on this?

Regards,

Alexander Hayes
+61427996984

Peter Allen

Dec 1, 2017, 7:52:35 PM12/1/17
to teachAndLearnOnline
Here's a reference that's so unfashionable its wearing flared jeans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Shock

"Toffler argued that society is undergoing an enormous structural change, a revolution from an industrial society to a "super-industrial society". This change overwhelms people. He believed the accelerated rate of technological and social change left people disconnected and suffering from "shattering stress and disorientation"—future shocked. Toffler stated that the majority of social problems are symptoms of future shock. In his discussion of the components of such shock, he popularized the term "information overload.""

Leigh Blackall

Dec 1, 2017, 8:32:31 PM12/1/17
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Another good'n. I remember Future Shock describing a time when nobody owned anything, it was all in hire. I wonder if the payment contracts most people pay on cars, phones, white goods, houses etc, are what he meant. They were also prevalent in the 1920s...

Vance Stevens

Dec 2, 2017, 12:45:48 AM12/2/17
to Teach and Learn Online
I think I was wearing flared jeans when I read Future Shock.

Those were great days, nowadays we're experiencing Present Shock,

Vance

Alexander Hayes

Dec 2, 2017, 2:00:25 AM12/2/17
to teachandl...@googlegroups.com
I concur with that Vance.

Regards,

Alexander Hayes
+61427996984

Alexander Hayes

Dec 2, 2017, 2:09:56 AM12/2/17
to teachandl...@googlegroups.com
"...Amidst the rhetoric of the social networked Internet of Things (IOT) and Big Data  (Jara et al. 2014) human's are now simply referred to as a node, a tracked electrophorus, coined by Volta from the Greek ήλεκτρον ('elektron'), also ϕέρω ('phero'), meaning 'electricity bearer'. The convergence of wearable computing including body worn cameras, RFID technologies, artificial intelligence and state controlled ‘web-of-things’ networks culminates in Uberveillance indicate (Michael et al. 2015)".

The Socio-ethical Implications of Body-Worn Video Recorders: An Ethnographic Study a thesis by Alexander Hayes 2018

Regards,

Alexander Hayes
+61427996984

rgrozdanic

Dec 3, 2017, 4:35:42 AM12/3/17
to teachandlearnonline
Wow. So apt.

rgrozdanic

Dec 3, 2017, 4:37:23 AM12/3/17
to teachandlearnonline
My problem isn't information overload. It's human stupidity. Mine and yours and everyone else's (especially everyone else's :-))

Alexander Hayes

Dec 3, 2017, 8:51:03 AM12/3/17
to teachandl...@googlegroups.com
I get it.

Check out this for stupidity - https://flic.kr/p/fAYytV

Regards,

Alexander Hayes
+61427996984

Vance Stevens

Dec 3, 2017, 10:06:06 AM12/3/17
to Teach and Learn Online

Michael Coghlan

Dec 3, 2017, 5:22:33 PM12/3/17
to teachandl...@googlegroups.com
It was just a phase we were going through....

TALO Links

Alexander Hayes

Dec 3, 2017, 7:10:05 PM12/3/17
to teachandl...@googlegroups.com