Web 2.0 and education: best friends or worst enemies (Ken Price)

1 view

Janet Hawtin

Jul 24, 2007, 12:18:10 AM7/24/07
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com

Leigh Blackall

Jul 24, 2007, 6:13:29 PM7/24/07
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com

Janet Hawtin

Jul 24, 2007, 6:52:02 PM7/24/07
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
On 7/25/07, Leigh Blackall <leighb...@gmail.com> wrote:

What I took from the presentation was the questioning.
I thought there were interesting questions re the teacher filming
other teachers and the implications of being always potentially
online. I thought it was useful because it was a step beyond the
binary web2 is good for you v web 2 is the end of quality and safety.

I didnt see the managable and safe phase as an end game. I saw it more
as a normalising of web 2 with the implicit expectation that society
or technology would do something else or want something else which
would again require us to make pearls of problems.

The risk I see at the moment is the strategy of using fences as solutions.
I think this generates a polarising of views around established
structures and the joy of rebelling. Those positions make it hard to
unpack the issues in a practical sense and move forward. Fences are an
organisation's answer to risk, they externalise the risk, but it is
not a social answer to risk. Fencing off the challenges is a head in
the sand process. The issues still exist. I think we need to look more
at the how of resolving freedom, signal, noise, safety, control, room
to learn and explore, transparency, privacy and I think the
presentation asks some useful questions.

Perhaps the answers will be people having a go and finding the ways
which are a good fit locally. I think it is this kind of hands on
vision or pragmatic working through the issues which we lose when the
structures lock things out. I think there is also a kind of challenge
for those of us who love distributed networked space to talk about
scaling and how we keep the personal and useful when we are the
filters.

Janet