the end of School as we know it?

1 view

Shaggy

Aug 31, 2006, 7:16:31 AM8/31/06
to Teach and Learn Online
a great blog entry about a young guitarist, modern education and the
web "...We are as relevant now as a handful of monks copying out the
Bible by hand."

http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2006/07/end-of-school-as-we-know-it.html

Michael Coghlan

Aug 31, 2006, 8:10:13 AM8/31/06
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Not much to add here but a ripper post Shaggy! Another quote from same:

""technology ushers in new forms of social organization that escape notice precisely because they are invisible to adherents of the old paradigm. By the time anyone notices the impending social transformation, it is too powerful to contain, and social transformation cascades across the landscape"

- Michael

James Neill - Wilderdom

Aug 31, 2006, 4:43:28 PM8/31/06
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmm.....nice story, I like it Bill, but its full of spin too.  I look forward to checking out the dude's video, but would suggest that just as the blog post uses gross generalisation re school attracting teachers comfortable with control, so too its a bit of a gross generalisation but I'll suggest it that anti-school social technology attracts outcasts from the system and those who want to subvert.

Of course school and mainstream is a byproduct of industrialised society, a human farm, etc.  No argument from me there.  But don't try and sell me the myth (implied) that this kid could have lived without schooling and simply been given a webcam and had the same "hit rate" success.  How many other kids are earning a buck in the streets busking without a computer or a webcam?  Technology isn't the secret to his 'success' and nor is his 'success' evidence of the end of the relevance of school.

It is however a heartwarming story.  Thanks for sharing.

Aug 31, 2006, 9:16:28 PM8/31/06
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
haven't read your post yet bill, but guitar dude is very cool.

i think more interesting than 8 million hits is the fact that there are
over 17 000 comments, there are over 61 000 people who have taken the
time to rank the clip and nearly 50 000 people have included the clip as
a favourite. now those sort of numbers are awesome.

botts

Bill Kerr wrote:
> nice critique james, yes, there is a tiny bit of spin in there ;-)
>
> funtwo video now has 8 million hits, another million in August
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8>
> awesome
>
> --
> Bill Kerr
> http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/

> http://www.users.on.net/~billkerr/ <http://www.users.on.net/%7Ebillkerr/>
> skype: billkerr2006
>

> On 9/1/06, *James Neill - Wilderdom* <ja...@wilderdom.com

> <mailto:ja...@wilderdom.com>> wrote:
>
> Hmmmm.....nice story, I like it Bill, but its full of spin too. I
> look forward to checking out the dude's video, but would suggest
> that just as the blog post uses gross generalisation re school
> attracting teachers comfortable with control, so too its a bit of
> a gross generalisation but I'll suggest it that anti-school social
> technology attracts outcasts from the system and those who want to
> subvert.
>
> Of course school and mainstream is a byproduct of industrialised
> society, a human farm, etc. No argument from me there. But don't
> try and sell me the myth (implied) that this kid could have lived
> without schooling and simply been given a webcam and had the same
> "hit rate" success. How many other kids are earning a buck in the
> streets busking without a computer or a webcam? Technology isn't
> the secret to his 'success' and nor is his 'success' evidence of
> the end of the relevance of school.
>
> It is however a heartwarming story. Thanks for sharing.

> *From:* teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:teachAndL...@googlegroups.com>

Tyrrell, Colin

Aug 31, 2006, 9:50:54 PM8/31/06
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
who taught the kid to read and write?

________________________________

botts

peter allen

Sep 1, 2006, 12:38:28 AM9/1/06
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
who says he can?

James Neill - Wilderdom

Sep 1, 2006, 1:24:34 AM9/1/06
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
"In 2005, a video of a young Taiwanese guitarist calling himself JerryC,
short for Jerry Chang - who arranged and performed an energetic rock version
of Pachelbel's Canon on electric guitar - was widely viewed and discussed on
the Internet, after appearing on websites such as YouTube and Google Video.
And another performance of Jerry C's arrangement, this one by another young
Korean guitarist calling himself "funtwo", now identified as Jeong-Hyun Lim,
became YouTube's single most-discussed video of all time. However, it has
been noted that the style of the music is somewhat similar to Banya's
release."
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachelbel's_canon

-----

alexanderhayes

Sep 1, 2006, 11:19:47 AM9/1/06
to Teach and Learn Online
It's quite evident he dosent need to know how to read and write. The
fact is his lecturers had no idea what he was
'saying'......like......duh.

His teachers kicked him out of school for being disruptve and he never
takes that cap off. I'm sure he's got a mobile phone ringing somewhere.
Expel him.

The lightings right - too frickin right - the ambient sounds appeal to
the nation - we are inspired by 'his' war cry march on into audio
chaos.

We dont need to know who it is. We are canonised.

It's a brilliant mimic act and a fantastic waste of five minutes twenty
of my time. Or.....am I being to harsh here ?

http://www.downes.ca/cgi-bin/page.cgi?post=4

For me YouTube keeps harking back to Downe's blog rambles on the matter
of authenticity.

peter allen

Sep 1, 2006, 9:51:24 PM9/1/06
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
It's a brilliant mimic act and a fantastic waste of five minutes twenty
of my time. Or.....am I being to harsh here ?

I dont think its a mimic act,  -  for a start  its a quality guitar  - air guitar heroes wouldnt blow that sort of money on a prop.   despite  you tubes low frame rate his technique looks authentic.

I was unaware of this  virtual "cuttin heads" ( a reference to the 80's film Crossroads)  - I was amazed to find bass players doing similar things  -  there's a few videos of bass players playing moonlight sonata ( it aint easy)  video of bass players  showing their slap funk bass technique - all very interesting -  a virtual community linked through video... who woulda thunk!

Dunbabin, Jennifer M

Sep 4, 2006, 12:29:16 AM9/4/06
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
hi everyone

I've not contributed much to your discussions, but watch with interest and learn a lot. I'm managing the access to bandwidth project this year for the australian flexible learning framework. I am keen to ensure the network development is driven by educational needs rather than IT managers' policies.

it would  be very useful to me to have stories from you all about what teaching has been impeded or stopped by IT network policies, and what you've had to do to get around that. also I'd be interested to know if anyone has possible, within the system, solutions in mind. the final contribution would be your visions of how teaching would be in 2010.

you may have already written about your experiences and I suggest the delicious tag a2btalobandwidth for those articles you have to contribute.

cheers

jen
(jennifer dunbabin)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER

Information in this transmission is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised and you should delete/destroy all copies and notify the sender. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the information contained in this transmission.

This disclaimer has been automatically added.

Dunbabin, Jennifer M

Sep 4, 2006, 12:35:00 AM9/4/06
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
I meant to add if you want to contact me off group my email is jennifer...@education.tas.gov.au
Sep 4, 2006, 12:44:35 AM9/4/06
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
wonderful
thanks leigh
jen
Sep 4, 2006, 6:58:58 AM9/4/06
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
hey jen

just back from an IT Committee meeting at the tafe college i work at here in west oz.  i've spoken about this before, but i reckon the IT guys we have are amazing.  they are not happy with the product being supplied by DETWA and so are putting together a proposal for "going it alone".

their main sticking point is that DETWA won't support a system that allows them to upgrade their novell software, and an upgrade would mean better wireless access and better intergration with mobile computing products as well as better spam control.  they are also keen to regain more control over internet access including blocking lists and the like.  currently they have a great deal of control over internet access, but there is a threat that they will lose that control.

in another instance, a lecturer made a formal complaint to the IT committee about sites being "blocked" and downloads being "blocked" too.  the IT guys initially responded with "tuff" and
"who died and made him god" but eventually relented and acknowledged that if staff find sites blocked that they need access to, then all the lecturer has to do is inform the IT department and the site(s) in question will be released from the block... a process which takes all of 30 seconds.

so in terms of access to sites and resources, and being understanding of and obliging towards lecturers' needs our guys get the big thumbs up.

botts

Dunbabin, Jennifer M wrote:

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.7/436 - Release Date: 1/09/2006

alexanderhayes

Sep 4, 2006, 9:33:31 AM9/4/06
to Teach and Learn Online
Great to hear from you Jennifer.

For the report or the position paper or the funding application or the
abstract or the preface or perhaps as a referential pre-cursor to the
bigger wad of paper that constitutes what's working where, why not and
why we spend only a slither of our allocated bandwidth in NSW through a
major telco whose name will remain unknown. ? Your authority does
little to dissuade my resistance to respond with gushing enthusiasm.

I'm on 28.8kbps wireless card and wavering here in a cold motel room
trying to author to two major blogs and a google network. Access to
bandwidth ?

The educational needs of the student in 2010 are that the rear vision
mirror is around about the same size as the windscreen. A future not
informed by an overzealous body of IT gatekeepers actions and
behaviours in the past.....nor netfilters that block the most important
learning tools of this generation.....ie youtube, ABC shorts

The student of 2010 will not ever remember the term Janison or even
possibly the acronym LMS..........I hope.

The access to bandwidth project should be looking at how we can take
Croquet [ http://www.opencroquet.org/ ] into 'classrooms' ( ie. the
phones that are sitting in your students pocket ) or where we are going
to make concessions for the thirteen thousand students dragging on the
DET servers at 11.00am all immersed in a collaborative virtual
exercices in SecondLife [ www.secondlife.com ]

We have all ( well.....some of us do ) writen about our experiences,
frustrations and exhaltations a zillion times over ( ok....so thats a
slight exageration ) in our blogs, wikis and so on.

We need you opinion, your thoughts, your blog URL and your projects
del.icio.us URL and Flickr tag to imbed it with all of ours. Our
stories are not good fodder........we speak of distatseful things such
as open source, community, sharing, open blogging, remote and
intelligent virtual selves.....

Ps. Case studies aside.....it's probably time to remove that awful
signature.

PSS. I've been encouraging Leigh to do likewise although I find more in
reading his book about what you request than any confidential document
published by the authorities on the same matter.

PSSST. It's not the bandwidth thats the issue nor is IT network
policies. It's the conservative suits that stand in rows and pretend
not to be Mr.Smith's from the Matrix. I'm sure we could all benefit
from an open un-helpful helpdesk........say, that might be a
start.......an open to the web helpdesk wiki environment for all DET
related IT issues. - a bit like this one -
http://nswlearnscope.wikispaces.com/firewalls - thats whats holding us
up.......I bet half the lurkers here could add a thing or to also.

or this one - Web 2.0 - where educators meet, greet and make learning
complete.

Stephen Parker [
http://teacherconnect.wikispaces.com/Networked+Learning+Guidelines ] is
championing the cause and so is Vicki Marchant [
http://web2debate.wikispaces.com/ ]. Perhaps you've got a view on
what web 2.0 means for your future and what you fear happening if they
turn the net filter to block 'social software'..............it
could spell the begining of more demands on bandwidth.

Kylie Rowsell

Sep 4, 2006, 6:38:46 PM9/4/06
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com

*Kylie lifts her devil's horns off the hook on the back of the door and places them on her head. A sly grin emerges*

Do we give any gravity to the concerns of the It Guy?
(I say yes)

How will he supply enough bandwidth, which costs money?
(I say he just needs to be savvier with his bandwidth purchasing deals. "Why pay at all?" might be a question…)

How does he ensure the integrity of The System and all the little individual PCs with students unwittingly downloading spyware and stuff?

(I'd imagine with some nifty and innovative security strategies)

Thanks,
Kylie
Training Coordinator
Hunter Councils Learning and Development

ph: 4978 4016

Leigh Blackall

Sep 4, 2006, 7:50:56 PM9/4/06
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
decentralise

you know how coffee carts are being allowed in to sell coffee on campus these days...

internet cafes may as well too. Somehow I am able to get more done in an Internet cafe of about 10- 20 computers, then in an organisation of hundreds...