Permission form

James Neill

Apr 8, 2008, 11:38:09 AM4/8/08
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
(a special version for you, Alex :) )

Dear Parent,

This year our class will be involved with sharing and publishing some of our thoughts, ideas, and work to the wider world.

Would you like your child to participate? Yes / No

Please supply the details of the digital identity you would like your child to use:

Children who do not participate will be provided with an alternative, offline activity.

Yours sincerely,

The classroom teacher

alexanderhayes

Apr 8, 2008, 6:24:43 PM4/8/08
to Teach and Learn Online
Or.....

Dear Parent,

This year our class will be involved with sharing and publishing some
of our thoughts, ideas, and work to the wider world.

Would you like your child to participate? Yes / No

Would you like to participate? Yes / No ( you can access your
classroom anywhere at anytime )

Have you spoken with your child regarding the digital identity they
have chosen to represent themselves by online ?

Children who do not participate will be provided with an alternative
closed online activity.

Yours sincerely,

The classroom teachers first name- the one that children use to
address their teacher

Janet Hawtin

Apr 8, 2008, 7:44:56 PM4/8/08
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 7:54 AM, alexanderhayes <alexander...@gmail.com> wrote:

Or.....

Dear Parent,

This year our class will be involved with sharing and publishing some
of our thoughts, ideas, and work to the wider world.

Would you like your child to participate? Yes / No

Would you like to participate? Yes / No ( you can access your
classroom anywhere at anytime )

Have you spoken with your child regarding the digital identity they
have chosen to represent themselves by online ?

Children who do not participate will be provided with an alternative
closed online activity.

Yours sincerely,

The classroom teachers first name- the one that children use to
address  their teacher

Parent:
Thanks for the opportunity to choose what tools for my student to use. What do you recommend.
Which blogs enable a parent account and a student account.
What are the opportunities and risks with each of them.
What kinds of things will be learned.
How can I pick the right blog.
How much time does it take.
What should we take extra care with.
Should we connect with other student blogs in a webring.
Is there a blog that the school runs as a model?
I have three kids which tools are good for families.
Could I pick between a table of learning and risk opportunities.
Which communities exist which we could be a part of so we can see what others do.

hugh davies

Apr 8, 2008, 8:06:04 PM4/8/08
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Nice retort. I think that the permission form implies that blog is recommended.
See below for changes.

Dear Parent,

This year our class will be involved with sharing and publishing some
of our thoughts, ideas, and work to the wider world.

You can see an example at: www.

Any concerns that you have may be addressed in our privacy policy and
terms of use areas: www.

Would you like your child to participate? Yes / No

Would you also like to be involved? Yes / No ( you can drop into the
classroom anywhere at anytime with no ongoing commitment)

Have you spoken with your child regarding the digital identity they

have chosen to represent themselves by online ? (this is the next step
assuming the parents agree i recon.)

Children who do not participate will be provided with an alternative
closed online activity.

Yours sincerely,

The classroom teachers first name- the one that children use to
address their teacher

Janet Hawtin

Apr 8, 2008, 8:06:44 PM4/8/08
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com

Myspace? Facebook? deviantart?
if these spaces are chosen how can signal v noise be managed.

http://thenextlayer.org/node/328
Interesting bloggy media space.

botheredbybees

Apr 8, 2008, 10:01:32 PM4/8/08
to Teach and Learn Online
Hi Janet, you might have to winnow down the list a bit for younger
classes. I've been looking at how some of these 'providers' protect
their younger subscribers. Mostly by excluding those that are 'at
risk', it appears. Checking on their terms of service I saw...

Myspace:

"By using the MySpace Services, you represent and warrant that ... you
are 14 years of age or older."

Facebook:

"This Site is intended solely for users who are thirteen years of age
or older, and users of the Site under 18 who are currently in high
school or college."

so far, not too bad. but...

Deviantart:

"you must be 18 years or lawfully permitted to enter into and form
contracts under applicable law. In no event may minors submit Content
to the Service"

and the biggest surprise:

Google:

"You may not use the Services and may not accept the Terms if (a) you
are not of legal age to form a binding contract with Google"

say what? you're not allowed to do a google search until you're 18!?
rofl

Janet Hawtin

Apr 8, 2008, 10:21:55 PM4/8/08
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
OK so same issue regarding blogger, wordpress etc because of the requirement not to retain information about  under 13s
Are there any services which actually take a child with mentor parent approach? so the parent is the contractual person?

Janet

James Neill

Apr 8, 2008, 11:16:43 PM4/8/08
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
maybe that's what education it departments are for?

Janet Hawtin wrote:

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.22.10/1366 - Release Date: 8/04/2008 5:03 PM

Janet Hawtin

Apr 8, 2008, 11:22:49 PM4/8/08
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:46 PM, James Neill <li...@wilderdom.com> wrote:
maybe that's what education it departments are for?

or maybe there needs to be some acknowledgement in law
to include a minor partnered with their custodian.
and recognition of which software or websites are able to provide that connection/partnership.

James Neill

Apr 9, 2008, 4:49:08 AM4/9/08
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
what does edna provide for primary schools?

Janet Hawtin wrote:

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.22.10/1366 - Release Date: 8/04/2008 5:03 PM

Janet Hawtin

Apr 9, 2008, 9:50:12 AM4/9/08
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 6:19 PM, James Neill <li...@wilderdom.com> wrote:
what does edna provide for primary schools?

Currently largely resources for teachers and some projects where images can be sent
as far as I am aware. Same sorts of things for ECE.

James Neill

Apr 9, 2008, 10:11:08 AM4/9/08
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
so, am i getting the impression that essentially the education departments etc. provide teachers with nothing in the way of support for their kids going into the online world for learning, and they'll shut down anyone who has a go and steps outside their own ill-defined parameters?

and it's 2008 in a developed nation at the cutting edge of IT?

and rudd is spending how much on computers for schools? and how much on faster broadband? and all this potential is going to be choked by ludditic administrators who grew up in the 1940's and 1950's?

surely, i am missing something?

Janet Hawtin

Apr 9, 2008, 10:24:24 AM4/9/08
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 11:41 PM, James Neill <li...@wilderdom.com> wrote:
so, am i getting the impression that essentially the education departments etc. provide teachers with nothing in the way of support for their kids going into the online world for learning, and they'll shut down anyone who has a go and steps outside their own ill-defined parameters?

and it's 2008 in a developed nation at the cutting edge of IT?

and rudd is spending how much on computers for schools? and how much on faster broadband? and all this potential is going to be choked by ludditic administrators who grew up in the 1940's and 1950's?

surely, i am missing something?

an opportunity to try and talk through something positive?
Hoping to make a thread or conversation which looked at best ways to step forward as a community
from mixed perspectives rather than yet another opportunity for people to say the system sucks.
The systems were designed to fit older communications methods..
There are now opportunities which need some thinking to get them to fit smoothly in that system.
Time for some new ideas, and probably to learn from the kinds of experiences people have had.
There is no value for teachers or students in having other people tell them the system sucks if we do not have
something constructive to contribute.

danah was pulling threads at some of the mechanics around why sites and services find it difficult.
http://edtechtalk.com/node/3085
I thought Hugh's example earlier on was pretty telling.
Happy to drop the thread if it is not useful.

Janet

James Neill

Apr 9, 2008, 10:48:28 AM4/9/08
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
hopefully the OLPC kids will show us how its done

i've got a 5 and 7 year old - the 7 year old watched Ice Age in class yesterday... yup

so, i'd be happy to see schools drop online education and instead try for something more radical like giving each classroom a footy and a cricket bat

as far i can see so far, online education will be on our homeschool list, along with physical education, outdoor education, etc.