Alternatives to Powerpoint

1 view

James Neill - Wilderdom

Oct 8, 2005, 12:10:25 AM10/8/05
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
i'm also on the lookout for alternatives to powerpoint - ideally this might be a CMS that can also display readable content for lecture room projection

it seems ridiculous that i double-write every lecture - one in html and one in ppt - hopefully this is the last semester.... :)

james
Blank Bkgrd.gif

Michael Nelson

Oct 8, 2005, 12:17:07 AM10/8/05
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

If you're already writing you lecture notes in HTML, Eric Meyer's been putting together S5 - a simple standards-based slideshow system - all Open Source... but it's no CMS - you code each slide yourself. Perhaps it's not what you're after, but might be worth a look...

http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/

-Michael

James Neill - Wilderdom

Oct 8, 2005, 1:18:41 AM10/8/05
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

Thankyou - the end of PPT is in sight!  I will give it a shot - looks like it will work nicely.

James

Oct 11, 2005, 4:05:12 AM10/11/05
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
hi leigh

i checked out yr excellent link, read and am heartily digesting, etc. its opening my eyes :) & will try out more with some of these tools

however i didn't read about any good alternatives to powerpoint amongst the tools suggested?

so i took a shot using Stephen Meyer's S5 for today's lecture and it went off reasonably well - here's the notes:
http://www.wilderdom.com/psychology/social/Introduction.html (click on Toggle to see slide view) - it took me twice as long to code, but once you get the hang of it, its pretty easy - nevertheless i can't see too many traditional teaching style colleagues wanting to learn to code html

any others out there giving face to face lectures and rendering notes in web format? - am keen to share/learn

sincerely,
james

Oct 11, 2005, 5:41:56 AM10/11/05
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Hi again James.

My alternative to powerpoint is to use Open Office (free and open source alternative to Microsoft Office). The Open Office version of powerpoint is 'Presentation'. Presentation exports to .swf and .pdf

So if your colleagues understand Powerpoint, then show them OpenOffice Presentation. They can open their old PowerPoints in presentation and export them to .pdf or .swf. Either of those formats are far more suitable than powerpoint for online delivery.

Regards
Leigh

Kylie Rowsell

Oct 12, 2005, 7:46:37 PM10/12/05
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
I use OpenOffice on my laptop. I create my presentations in the Presentation software, burn to CD, toddle off to Sydney to do my presentation.
In pops the CD to a laptop with MS Office and it reads it just fine every time.
I then use some images that are 'free for education' in the presentation.
When I finish the presentation, I tell the participants about it all.
People are usually impressed, as they KNOW they couldn't tell the difference.

Thanks,
Kylie

ph: 4978 4016

Oct 13, 2005, 9:41:30 PM10/13/05
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
SWF can be made accessible, but not sure about swf authored from Open Office...

I have seen a blogger site used very well as a presentation tool, also Flickr slide show.

I tend to prefer publishing to PDF from Open Office rather than SWF, then I type a good synopsis for it in my blog to help search engines along a bit.