Tiddly Wiki - a small self contained Wiki ideal for education.

peter allen

Nov 30, 2005, 7:10:12 AM11/30/05
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com

Tiddly Wiki -  a small  self contained Wiki  ideal for education.

For those of you  in Australia you've probably heard of the ANTA toolboxes –  they are  web based learning resources  written around  training packages and  are   authored so that they can be used in many different ways and can be delivered  online, on CD-Rom  or a network share – they can even be  printed out and delivered on paper ( heaven forbid!)

For those  who haven't heard of them  you can preview all the  flexible elearning toolboxes at http://www.flexiblelearning.net.au/toolboxes

  As I was exploring  what now has been  labeled " Web 2.0"  I began thinking that perhaps  future toolboxes (and even existing toolboxes) might benefit from some of the advantages  that  the Web 2.0 paradigm brings.  : -

One of the problems with  the toolbox material is that it can  go out of date – training packages  get updated or the industry it services shifts focused or the local industry is different than what the National toolbox is authored for.

Or, as is the case with any pre-made teaching resourcethe lecturer/facilitator/teacher  is happy with a good part of the toolbox but would like to add, or change or  modify in some way the toolbox  resources.

I could see that if toolbox resources were authored into a Wiki type format, then  modification of the toolbox for updating or customization would be easy.

A shining example of the potential for a Wiki type resource is Wikipedia ( www.wikipedia.org ). -  and its sister project Wikibooks.  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Main_Page

I could see the potential for Toolboxes in this format with a community of interested practitioners actively involved in the creation and maintenance of such a resource.

One immediate problem I  saw was that  toolboxes inside a wiki would not have the portability of the  HTML formatted  toolboxes as most Wikis are designed  using a webserver and a database.

So how could  a toolbox (or any teaching resource for that matter) be authored in a Wiki format  but still retain  the portability and flexibility of  a HTML based  resource like a Toolbox?

Some web-surfing research  provided  some promising results. -  In Wikipedia there is a page on  the Wiki-on-a-stick project.  ( http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_on_a_stick)

 The page is quite comprehensive and provides how  to install a true Wiki on a USB flash drive  using only about 7Mb of space.

 This was OK, but it was a little too technical for most people, I was looking for a simpler solution.

I  found a solution in Tiddly Wiki

Tiddly wiki ( www.tiddlywiki.com)  is an amazing piece of  software – it takes the concept of a Wiki and encloses it into a single HTML file that can be carried around on a USB flash drive.

Instead of  the usual Wiki practice of each  topic on a new page - Tiddly Wiki breaks information down into smaller chunks  (dare I say Learning Objects???)  called Tiddlers.

I immediately saw an educational application for TiddlyWiki –

For the face-to-face computer class I teach  I could  place all of the  learning guides, lecture notes links to websites in fact any  useful information in a Tiddly Wiki  for that subject and the students could then annotate and add their own notes  to the existing Wiki notes.

Instead of paper based learning guides  I  knew that you can get low cost USB flash drives  -  with software ( ie Tiddly Wiki ) pre installed.

And the great thing is that Tiddly Wiki will  keep all  of this information together in a single file – making  file management and backup relatively easy.

Tiddly Wiki  seems to inspire anyone that I show it to.   Applications seem to spring to mind as soon as people see it.

It also seems that Tiddly Wiki  has huge potential  -  according to this programmer (http://davidmercer.nfshost.com/article/7/TheHolyGrailofProgrammers)   - he sees Tiddly Wiki as an ideal   web applications development platform – with open standards  such as Javascript and CSS  it is  open to anyone to develop their own applications using the Tiddly Wiki framework.  This means you aren't boxing yourself into a corner  if you spend time and effort  using Tiddly Wiki – in fact the macro plug-ins that have already been developed  already add to the scope of what this little program – err... webpage can do.

To try out Tiddly Wiki , you can see what a basic Tiddly Wiki   looks like at www.tiddlywiki.com

To see a Tiddly Wiki where the author has modified the style sheet, have a look at  www.tiddlywikitips.com

To see a very nice Tiddly Wiki complete with background images, have a look at http://www.elsdesign.com/tiddlywiki/

Once the page  has loaded click on the options  link on the right hand side of the page and work your way through the  6 or so stylesheets  that this developer has developed  .. and  these style sheets are dynamically loaded .

Lastly have a look at  http://www.tiddlyforge.net/ - this site lists all of the plug ins and macros  that have been developed for Tiddly Wiki.

Tiddly wiki is Free and Open Source Software [FOSS].  – that means that the software is free to use  and the developments  for it are also free.  You can use it and develop your own implementation of Tiddly Wiki – you don't have to pay anybody to use the software -  but you must  attribute the authorship of the software to the original author.

I intend to use Tiddly Wiki next year in class so I'm in the process of transferring  a lot of my lecture notes in to Tiddly Wiki. -  Of course when I have a more complete copy, I can then publish this Wiki on a website and then it can be downloaded.  I also notice quite a few people are using Tiddly Wiki as a way to create a website quickly – after all it provides a complete framework for a website – all you have to do is flow in the content.

Tiddly Wiki  does require some web authoring expertise at times, but I think in time many people will skill up to use it – its worth the effort in my opinion.

Leigh Blackall

Nov 30, 2005, 7:52:36 AM11/30/05
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Nice one Peter. I have also been thinking on the toolboxes meets web 2.0 idea (think I posted to this group a while back) but you have taken it quite a bit further.

I think getting an existing toolbox into a wiki format could be quite a headache, especially those Flashy ones. But if you were to break apart a toolbox and upload each individual media element to ourmedia (licensed Creative Commons of course) then the media could be recompiled in any way, including a wiki!

As for future toolbox developments, it would mean that media would have to be designed to work independently and in context. In effect, lots of small pieces up on an open network server like ourmedia offer, and available to be remixed into any number of finished products!

Do you wanna go in with my for a juicey big fat Toolbox app, with a very high chance of it being rejected?

Regards
Leigh

--
Leigh Blackall
+61(0)247827637

rgrozdanic

Nov 30, 2005, 8:25:05 AM11/30/05
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
sounds like you two definitely have the beginnings of an application there.  or even two.

personally i wouldn't be applying to modify an existing toolbox.  if you're going to do it, you may as well develop a new one.  and most (if not all) toolboxes cover various modules or sections of specific training packages, so you'd have to select a specific TP to work on.  or go the literacy/equity module path. but there's definitely potential there for a toolbox project, with the added bonus that you could design it in a way that actually provides a bit of a path for people to learn how to design their own stuff.

the other option would be to apply for a new practices project, which is basically permission to invent some new processes or a product or other type of  innovation.  which could be really exciting and (in my opinion) provides more scope. the hard part would be to harness the ideas into something robust and doable.

i speak bureaucrap fluently and love working on stuff like this anyway so i'd be happy to throw my hat in the ring too.

(both projects usually tender in january/feb and select projects in feb/mar so if it's a goer, it'd be good to get started soon)

Leigh Blackall

Nov 30, 2005, 8:28:24 AM11/30/05
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
yes it would Rose. New Prac is about 60 grand right? Do you think developing resources for networked learning would go?

rgrozdanic

Nov 30, 2005, 9:00:45 AM11/30/05
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
no, new practices is definitely not about developing resources (if by resources you mean stuff like articles or how to guides or whatever), but coming up with a process or product that does the same thing would.  which reminds me that there's also a framework project around "research" and they're usually working on stuff that FLAG commissions.  networked learning would have to be on that agenda at some point so there's another possibility that i didn't mention in the last email.

if i was making the next move, i'd be asking people in this group to put their hands up if interested and then organising a way to have a bit of a meeting to brainstorm various options, ideas and pathways.

new practices is about 60 - 70, toolboxes are much higher - maybe $250k? i'm not sure but the expectation/outcomes is bigger too.  and there's no reason why you'd only apply for one or the other.  at this point i think it'd be useful to
a) get info on the various opportunities in 2006 (even learnscope, networks, there's heaps of stuff out there) including criteria, focus, boundaries, time frames, budget etc
b) brainstorm various ideas of what people genuinely feel passionate and motivated about (rather than fitting the project to the funding) and see what comes up.  select the best ideas or clusters.
c) map B to A and start getting the ideas into shape and proposals/tenders written.

we'd also need to partner with a registered training organisation to be eligible for any of these so there'd also be other steps but that needn't concern us now, the hardest part is coming up with the genuinely good ideas. (and by that i mean ones that can be turned into viable projects).

James Neill - Wilderdom

Nov 30, 2005, 3:26:57 PM11/30/05
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
pete - wow - i reckon its a brilliant idea - i'm not a TAFE person, but have i have been busy throwing textbooks out of my uni courses and trying to come up with alternatives - yes, i can put stuff online, but i have a gnawing feeling its far from adequate - e.g., not all students have good online access and little if/any is read/write, etc. - so writing my courses in TiddlyWiki and handing out a wiki on a USB stick is very appealing

botts

Nov 30, 2005, 8:52:50 PM11/30/05
to Teach and Learn Online
you know how i think, so of course i'm in. i can be the token poor
cousin from the other side of australia. oh yeah and i work for an RTO
that is keen and supportive of innovation and would definitely stand
behind any proposals we might wish to put to the powers that be.

so lets do it. we can set up a wiki with an rss feed to use to record
our thoughts and collaborate. i've got supervisor access for
elluminate so we can use that for an online meeting space. and we've
got about 3 weeks before my college goes into its enforced christmas
shutdown.

come on you guys...lets share the love

have a great day
botts

Leigh Blackall

Dec 1, 2005, 4:58:12 PM12/1/05
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Good on you Botts!

Have you set up the wiki? or should I?
Let's schedule an Elluminate session this weekend, or tonight (this arvo for you)
Consider that we also have the ed game Silence of the Terminals at our disposal too!