Feature tracking

Mark Banner

Oct 3, 2011, 5:11:30 PM10/3/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
With the increasing number of feature improvements that we are working on for Thunderbird, we've decided to adopt a similar process to Firefox of tracking ongoing feature work to help us drive them forward.

The feature pages are intended for us to be a lightweight system for listing, prioritizing, defining and tracking new features towards completion. At this early stage, we're still working out the system and the exact processes/fields we want to use for Thunderbird.

For background information on the system, see this page: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Planning_and_Tracking

The process we're going to use is loosely based on https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Lifecycle_of_a_feature

The product team (aka council) will consist of the engineering manager, plus leads from the following areas: UX, development, architecture and marketing. We may call on advice from others as well.

The rolls of the product team vary according to the state the feature is in. At the initial stage, the team decides whether or not to accept the feature in Thunderbird, at the later stages the team ensures that the feature is progressing, and may review inclusion based on further investigations, and finally that the feature is completed with all the necessary reviews.

Here's where the tracking pages are, followed by some notes about how things are different:

This is a basic overview with what is being worked on, drafted, has been completed or has been shelved.

The product team will be looking at this regularly. In fact we'll be looking at it tomorrow at 9am PDT. Details to follow.

This is what is currently targeted for a specific release, as always, it is just the plan and may change.

As you'll see, some of the feature pages we've already been mentioning are there, plus pages for some of the features we're currently working on. We've not filled out full details for the in-work features - we're using the pages to track the final bits of work and make sure everything gets covered.

As always, comments and thoughts welcome.

Mark.

Mark Banner

Oct 4, 2011, 11:25:06 AM10/4/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 03/10/2011 22:11, Mark Banner wrote:

The product team will be looking at this regularly. In fact we'll be looking at it tomorrow at 9am PDT. Details to follow.

The dial-in details are the same room as for the main meeting - Conf room 4400.

Mark.

Mark Banner

Oct 4, 2011, 11:25:56 AM10/4/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 03/10/2011 22:11, Mark Banner wrote:
The feature pages are intended for us to be a lightweight system for listing, prioritizing, defining and tracking new features towards completion. At this early stage, we're still working out the system and the exact processes/fields we want to use for Thunderbird.
There will also be an opportunity for Q & A at today's status meeting.

Mark.