Code names for Aurora builds

Mark Banner

Jun 6, 2011, 5:40:32 PM6/6/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
For the Aurora builds, we're not going to be able to call them "Aurora" because that name will clash with the Firefox version. We don't want to use "Thunderbird Aurora" because that introduces the official name which starts to imply various standards that we don't want to promise to users at that stage.

The Nightly/Aurora/Beta/Release brandings of Firefox are designed to imply emerging features coming through the channels. We'd like to keep a sense of that for Thunderbird as well.

So we need a new code name. Drivers had a chat about this a while ago, and we came up with Borealis as a favourite due to its association with Aurora (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_%28astronomy%29).

If anyone has any more suggestions, please let us know. We'll probably be making the final decision on Wednesday as we need to get these builds started, and having the code name at the beginning will be much easier.

Mark.

Jim

Jun 6, 2011, 5:49:45 PM6/6/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 06/06/2011 04:40 PM, Mark Banner wrote:
> If anyone has any more suggestions, please let us know. We'll probably
> be making the final decision on Wednesday as we need to get these builds
> started, and having the code name at the beginning will be much easier.

We could also consider basing Thunderbird's "Aurora" codename on the
other use of "Aurora": the Roman goddess of the dawn. If we want to keep
with the "A" (for "alpha", as opposed to "B"/"Borealis" which might
imply "beta"), we could use:

* Albina <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albina_(mythology)>
* Alectrona <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alectrona>
* Apollo (not specifically the "dawn", but the sun in general)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_%28god%29>
* Atanua <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atanua>
* Atarapa <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atarapa>

"Apollo" is probably the only one of those that's recognizable to most
people, though.

- Jim

Blake Winton

Jun 6, 2011, 7:44:36 PM6/6/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 11-06-06 17:49 , Jim wrote:
> On 06/06/2011 04:40 PM, Mark Banner wrote:
>> If anyone has any more suggestions, please let us know. We'll probably
>> be making the final decision on Wednesday as we need to get these builds
>> started, and having the code name at the beginning will be much easier.
>
> We could also consider basing Thunderbird's "Aurora" codename on the
> other use of "Aurora": the Roman goddess of the dawn.

Along the same lines, I was hoping we could use the Greek version:
"Eos", but no-one else who heard it really liked it, and it really
doesn't follow the "A" scheme.

> "Apollo" is probably the only one of those that's recognizable to most
> people, though.

We could also use Battlestar Galactica references if we went that way…
(Well, probably not, but it would be neat.)

Later,
Blake.
--
Blake Winton Thunderbird Front End
bwi...@mozilla.com

Joshua Cranmer

Jun 6, 2011, 7:49:54 PM6/6/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 6/6/2011 2:40 PM, Mark Banner wrote:
So we need a new code name. Drivers had a chat about this a while ago, and we came up with Borealis as a favourite due to its association with Aurora (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_%28astronomy%29).
Well, technically it's the Aurora Borealis, but there is also an Aurora Australis, so if you want to keep the `A' name, why not use Australis?
--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

John Hopkins

Jun 6, 2011, 8:13:11 PM6/6/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 11-06-06 04:49 PM, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> On 6/6/2011 2:40 PM, Mark Banner wrote:
>> So we need a new code name. Drivers had a chat about this a while ago,
>> and we came up with Borealis as a favourite due to its association
>> with Aurora (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_%28astronomy%29)
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_%28astronomy%29%29>.

> Well, technically it's the Aurora Borealis, but there is also an Aurora
> Australis, so if you want to keep the `A' name, why not use Australis?

Or, simply, Astral.

John

Mike Conley

Jun 7, 2011, 11:55:12 AM6/7/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
Going on the Greek route, how about Athena? According to Wikipedia,
Athena is "the goddess of wisdom, civilization, warfare, strength,
strategy, female arts, crafts, justice and skill."

-Mike

John Thomsen

Jun 7, 2011, 1:36:23 PM6/7/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 2011-06-06 23:40, Mark Banner wrote:
> The Nightly/Aurora/Beta/Release brandings of Firefox are designed to
> imply emerging features coming through the channels. We'd like to keep a
> sense of that for Thunderbird as well.
>
> So we need a new code name. Drivers had a chat about this a while ago,
> and we came up with Borealis

IMHO, Borealis is too close to Borrelia [1]

> If anyone has any more suggestions, please let us know.

I suggest replacing:
Nightly/Aurora/Beta/Release

with:
Nightbird/Corona/Beta/Release

Because Nightbird as a contraction of Nightly and Thunderbird relates to
both and the result, night bird, actually makes sense. The name is also
easy to remember.

Corona [2] is the "aurora" of e.g the Sun. The syntax of the word is
also similar to that of its peer, which makes life easier in a number of
situations.

Finally, the two names together implies emerging features.

My best shots. Take good care of them ;)

Regards,
John

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borrelia
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona

Kent James

Jun 7, 2011, 1:51:33 PM6/7/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
++

On 6/7/2011 10:36 AM, John Thomsen wrote:
> I suggest replacing:
> Nightly/Aurora/Beta/Release
>
> with:
> Nightbird/Corona/Beta/Release

rkent

John Hopkins

Jun 7, 2011, 1:55:26 PM6/7/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 11-06-07 10:36 AM, John Thomsen wrote:
> On 2011-06-06 23:40, Mark Banner wrote:
>> The Nightly/Aurora/Beta/Release brandings of Firefox are designed to
>> imply emerging features coming through the channels. We'd like to keep a
>> sense of that for Thunderbird as well.
>>
>> So we need a new code name. Drivers had a chat about this a while ago,
>> and we came up with Borealis
>
> IMHO, Borealis is too close to Borrelia [1]
>
>> If anyone has any more suggestions, please let us know.
>
> I suggest replacing:
> Nightly/Aurora/Beta/Release
>
> with:
> Nightbird/Corona/Beta/Release
>
> Because Nightbird as a contraction of Nightly and Thunderbird relates to
> both and the result, night bird, actually makes sense. The name is also
> easy to remember.
>
> Corona [2] is the "aurora" of e.g the Sun. The syntax of the word is
> also similar to that of its peer, which makes life easier in a number of
> situations.

Corona is the name of a popular beer - I don't know if that would hinder
our usage of the word.

http://www.corona.com/

Other than that, I think those are good ideas.

John

Jeff Grossman

Jun 7, 2011, 1:57:15 PM6/7/11
to Mozilla Thunderbird Planning List
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:36 AM, John Thomsen <john.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

I suggest replacing:
Nightly/Aurora/Beta/Release

with:
Nightbird/Corona/Beta/Release

I like it.  I am just not sure if we wanted to stay with an "A" like Aurora for Alpha.  If not, then I like John's suggestion.

Jeff

neandr

Jun 7, 2011, 2:41:58 PM6/7/11
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
Am 07.06.2011 19:55, schrieb John Hopkins:

> Corona is the name of a popular beer - I don't know if that would
> hinder our usage of the word.
>
> http://www.corona.com/

+++

If there is a conflict with the brewer .. just replace the c by k
Nightbird/Korona/Beta/Release

Günter