Mac Universal builds switched to 32/64 bit on trunk

Mark Banner

Nov 16, 2010, 4:06:42 AM11/16/10
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org
As has been previously mentioned on this list and at the status meetings, we've now switched the Mac trunk builds (3.3a1pre) from ppc/32 bit universal binaries to 32/64 bit universal binaries.

This happened late yesterday, and the first nightly hasn't yet been produced. Whilst I know the Mac builds work, I am expecting issues with the update system - we know Firefox had issues, and whilst we think that we've got everything in place, it is quite possible we've missed something. I expect that if there is an issue it will be more that an update is not served, rather than being served a broken update.

Users running 10.5 will automatically use the 32 bit version - 64 bit is not available for 10.5 users. 10.6 users will automatically use the 64 bit version; whilst 10.6 users can switch to 32 bit I believe Firefox has taken the decision that that mode of running is effectively unsupported (i.e. it isn't going to be tested) even though it is allowed.

There are a couple of known issues with the new builds:
  • Import and Migration from Eudora profiles has currently been disabled on the 64 bit part of the build as we're still working on the final compilation issue (bug 537872).
  • Attempting to use GSSAPI on the 64 bit version is likely to crash Shredder (bug 604653).
From the tinderbox/builder point of view, there is also a bit of work still to be done:
  • We currently only have two 64 bit builders on trunk (one is fast, the other is slower), we will be getting more soon. This impacts on what builders we have as mentioned below.
  • No 64 bit debug/leak test builds until we get more builders (the 32 bit debug/leak test builds are running though).
  • We will be setting up xpcshell-tests and MozMill tests to run on the 32 bit part of the build, these are currently waiting on a MozMill upgrade to pick up a fix to allow this to work properly.
Try server should already build Mac 64 bit for comm-central builds as long as you push based on the latest comm-central revisions.

Mark.