Announcing Thunderbird Extended Support Release

Jb Piacentino

Jan 12, 2012, 9:09:34 AM1/12/12
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
Awesome news: we are moving forward with the Thunderbird Extended Support Release!  Below is the announcement we have posted on Thunderbird blog. Stay tuned for details within the next few days but at this stage, I can confirm that Thunderbird ESR will be available on Jan 31st  together with Thunderbird 10.
Help us spreading the news within enterprises using Thunderbird, help us enrolling more influencers on the Enterprise mailing list by getting them subscribing to Thunderbird Enterprise here.

Thanks !

Jb

-------------------
The Plan for the Mozilla Thunderbird Extended Support Release
January 12th, 2012

We are pleased to announce that Thunderbird is following the Firefox Extended Support Release plan as documented in proposal for an Extended Support Release (ESR) of Firefox.

As mentioned a few months ago in Thunderbird Enterprise specific wiki pages, the ESR version of Thunderbird is for use by enterprises, public institutions, Universities and other organizations that centrally manage their Thunderbird deployments.
Releases of the ESR will occur once a year, providing organizations with a version of Thunderbird that receives security updates but does not make changes to the email client features or Thunderbird Add-ons platform. We have worked with many organizations to ensure that the ESR balances their need for the latest security updates with the desire to have a lighter application certification burden.
Mozilla is committed to providing the best email experience for people everywhere, and our goal for the Thunderbird ESR is to make it simpler for companies, public institutions, organizations, and institutions that manage their desktops to deploy Thunderbird in those environments. Over the last few months we received great feedback on the initial proposal from the Mozilla community and strongly believe that the ESR meets that goal.
Implementation specifics will be posted within a week to the Thunderbird planning and the Thunderbird Enterprise mailing lists. If you’re interested in the ESR or discussions around deploying Thunderbird in a managed environment, we’d encourage you to join the Thunderbird Enterprise mailing list and participate in its discussions. To join this group, please see the Enterprise wiki page for additional information.

John Crisp

Jan 12, 2012, 12:05:09 PM1/12/12
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
On 01/12/2012 03:09 PM, Jb Piacentino wrote:
> Awesome news: we are moving forward with the Thunderbird Extended
> Support Release! Below is the announcement we have posted on
> Thunderbird blog. Stay tuned for details within the next few days but at
> this stage, I can confirm that Thunderbird ESR will be available on Jan
> 31st together with Thunderbird 10.

Hallelujah. Some sanity returns to the planet.....

B. Rgds
John

Tanstaafl

Jan 12, 2012, 12:12:18 PM1/12/12
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
On 2012-01-12 12:05 PM, John Crisp <jcr...@safeandsoundit.co.uk> wrote:
> On 01/12/2012 03:09 PM, Jb Piacentino wrote:
>> Awesome news: we are moving forward with the Thunderbird Extended
>> Support Release! Below is the announcement we have posted on
>> Thunderbird blog. Stay tuned for details within the next few days but at
>> this stage, I can confirm that Thunderbird ESR will be available on Jan
>> 31st together with Thunderbird 10.
>
> Hallelujah. Some sanity returns to the planet.....

For what its worth, I've had very little trouble with the Fast Release
schedule - much less than I had anticipated.

One of the biggest problems is the lack of proper UAC interaction (with
both Thunderbird and Firefox), since we're now rolling out Windows 7.

Ron Colvin

Jan 12, 2012, 2:43:21 PM1/12/12
to Tanstaafl, tb-ent...@mozilla.org
On 1/12/12 12:12 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2012-01-12 12:05 PM, John Crisp <jcr...@safeandsoundit.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 01/12/2012 03:09 PM, Jb Piacentino wrote:
>>> Awesome news: we are moving forward with the Thunderbird Extended
>>> Support Release! Below is the announcement we have posted on
>>> Thunderbird blog. Stay tuned for details within the next few days
>>> but at
>>> this stage, I can confirm that Thunderbird ESR will be available on Jan
>>> 31st together with Thunderbird 10.
>>
>> Hallelujah. Some sanity returns to the planet.....
>
> For what its worth, I've had very little trouble with the Fast Release
> schedule - much less than I had anticipated.
>
> One of the biggest problems is the lack of proper UAC interaction
> (with both Thunderbird and Firefox), since we're now rolling out
> Windows 7.

I still believe that one of the biggest problems with the rapid release
schedule is internal organizational websites with bad code. The
developers tweak, not fix, the code based on the common browsers
deployed in their environment and try and mandate that all others must
stay out. I wish I had an answer for this aside from better developers
that actually follow web standards but they are already supposed to in
most places and ignore the requirements. I am not convinced that the
interface and capability changes in Thunderbird with the rapid release
schedule effect the core capability to connect to email servers.

ron.vcf

Martin Jungowski

Jan 12, 2012, 3:09:11 PM1/12/12
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
Am 12.01.2012 18:05, schrieb John Crisp:
> Hallelujah. Some sanity returns to the planet.....
Amen to that!

Jb, that's great news. Thanks a lot.

Martin

Ludovic Hirlimann

Jan 16, 2012, 6:07:17 AM1/16/12
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
On 1/12/12 6:12 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2012-01-12 12:05 PM, John Crisp <jcr...@safeandsoundit.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 01/12/2012 03:09 PM, Jb Piacentino wrote:
>>> Awesome news: we are moving forward with the Thunderbird Extended
>>> Support Release! Below is the announcement we have posted on
>>> Thunderbird blog. Stay tuned for details within the next few days
>>> but at
>>> this stage, I can confirm that Thunderbird ESR will be available on Jan
>>> 31st together with Thunderbird 10.
>>
>> Hallelujah. Some sanity returns to the planet.....
>
> For what its worth, I've had very little trouble with the Fast Release
> schedule - much less than I had anticipated.
>
> One of the biggest problems is the lack of proper UAC interaction
> (with both Thunderbird and Firefox), since we're now rolling out
> Windows 7.
This is somewhat fixed in Firefox nightly and probably needs more
testing than it is getting.

Ludo

--
@lhirlimann on twitter

my photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhirlimann/collections/

Tanstaafl

Jan 16, 2012, 6:16:29 AM1/16/12
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
On 2012-01-16 6:07 AM, Ludovic Hirlimann <lud...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 1/12/12 6:12 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> One of the biggest problems is the lack of proper UAC interaction
>> (with both Thunderbird and Firefox), since we're now rolling out
>> Windows 7.

> This is somewhat fixed in Firefox nightly and probably needs more
> testing than it is getting.

Good to know, but... I looked, and can't find a decent bug for this for
either Firefox or Thunderbird (found a few that look close) - is there a
bug for this that you know of so I can be informed when testing needs to
be done (glad to do it)... also, is this a Gecko thing, or would Firefox
and Thunderbird need separate bugs/implementations?

Thanks,

Charles

Ludovic Hirlimann

Jan 16, 2012, 6:32:59 AM1/16/12
to tb-ent...@mozilla.org
On 1/16/12 12:16 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2012-01-16 6:07 AM, Ludovic Hirlimann <lud...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> On 1/12/12 6:12 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>>> One of the biggest problems is the lack of proper UAC interaction
>>> (with both Thunderbird and Firefox), since we're now rolling out
>>> Windows 7.
>
>> This is somewhat fixed in Firefox nightly and probably needs more
>> testing than it is getting.
>
> Good to know, but... I looked, and can't find a decent bug for this
> for either Firefox or Thunderbird (found a few that look close) - is
> there a bug for this that you know of so I can be informed when
> testing needs to be done (glad to do it)... also, is this a Gecko
> thing, or would Firefox and Thunderbird need separate
> bugs/implementations?
It's a Firefox thing for now that we'll probably port to Thunderbird.
The bug I'm thinking about is 481815 and it's dependencies.