Google Voice FYI

Pent

Oct 1, 2010, 5:13:11 AM10/1/10
to Tasker
I've decided to scrap Google Voice SMS/Calling from the todo list in
favour
of recommending use of the (paid for) Steelgirder plugins.

<waits for outcry to die down>

Reasons:

- it would have had to be a plugin anyway due to size
- it frees me up to do other things, no point reinventing the wheel
- I'm confident that the Steelgirder dev will provide good support for
the plugins and assist with Tasker integration (for instance, Tasker
variables should at some point be replaced when using those plugins).
- probably much of the code would have been 'inspired' by the open
source project, much of the code of which comes from Steelgirder,
which would make things 'ethically challenged'

Pent

cristian

Oct 1, 2010, 9:27:16 AM10/1/10
to Tasker
Hi Pent,
Steelgirder plugins are good for the conditions like Location, SSID
or Time, but is not possible to create a profile with event ' Received
SMS' from Google SMS.
This problem still remains for the people that use only Google SMS.
So, what can we do to solve it?
Thx

Tobias Eisentraeger

Oct 1, 2010, 9:38:15 AM10/1/10
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Maybe we can work on an API for conditions?

Pent

Oct 1, 2010, 11:05:53 AM10/1/10
to Tasker
> but is not possible to create a profile with event ' Received
> SMS' from Google SMS.

Good point, I won't let that fall through.

Pent

Pent

Oct 1, 2010, 11:09:19 AM10/1/10
to Tasker
> Maybe we can work on an API for conditions?

Do you have a Locale-compatible condition activity ATM ?

I know virtually nothing about GV or how SMS notifications are pushed.

Pent

Tobias Eisentraeger

Oct 1, 2010, 11:55:55 AM10/1/10
to tas...@googlegroups.com

I can query the web service every couple minutes and get the gv info that way. I have not made a condition plugin yet. But I would make one. Every now and then I get a request about that.

Pent

Oct 1, 2010, 2:05:30 PM10/1/10
to Tasker
> I can query the web service every couple minutes and get the gv info that
> way.

But how does Android deal with it ? Do they get injected into the
messaging
app content provider or something ? Or do you have to login to GV to
look at
received messages ?

>I have not made a condition plugin yet. But I would make one. Every now
> and then I get a request about that.

As far as I'm concerned, an intent with all the data in for matching
is fine.
Or maybe you could inject them into the messaging app ? Let me know if
I'm raving :-)

I don't support any condition plugins ATM.

It's likely I will support the Setting Profiles plugin format when
they make progress
on it and if they keep it open, but no idea when that will be.

Pent

clambert

Oct 15, 2010, 9:04:05 AM10/15/10
to Tasker
I'm excited to see where this goes. I only use GV for SMS. Normal
texting is disabled and not even possible on my phone. Call me cheap,
but it's unbelievable what the carriers charge for SMS with the little
amount of data that is actually sent. Anyway, I digress.

I was going to buy Tasker & Steelgirder's plugin but after doing more
research, the application does not appear to be able to receive SMS
messages via GV to trigger events. Guess there are many of us in the
same boat.

I'm following the thread in hopes of an update to one day purchase the
app.

RogueSpear

Oct 16, 2010, 9:27:05 AM10/16/10
to Tasker
From what I can see, all SMS activity done via GV stays within GV. In
fact the first time I tried to send SMS, Android asked me which app I
would like to use, so I picked GV and checked the box to always use
it. Whenever I receive an SMS and open it, I am taken to the GV app,
not the messaging app.

Google Voice sends a notification to the status bar on incoming. Is
this something that Tasker could read? I've been trying to figure out
Tasker's two intents actions to do this on my own, but have had no
success.

Ira

Oct 27, 2010, 7:55:37 PM10/27/10
to Tasker
Tasker can read google voice sms messages through the notification
bar. If you sandwich your trigger word between asterisks (*) it will
work from any sender to your google voice number. There might be a
better way to do this but I use the following steps:
Make a new profile with first context set to Event -> UI ->
Notification
Change owner application to Voice
Enter your trigger keyword in title line like this: *trigger*
Then just select whatever task you want to complete when you text your
trigger word to your google voice number.

The problem that I ran into was using Tasker to send a text through
google voice. I want to use the above process and then receive a reply
text with %LOC and %BATT. Unfortunately sending sms from Tasker always
goes through the built in messaging system. It would be neat to be
able to record a little macro for an app. Tasker can open Voice but I
can't get it to send a sms yet.

On Oct 16, 9:27 am, RogueSpear <earlymorningho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From what I can see, all SMS activity done via GV stays within GV.  In
> fact the first time I tried to send SMS, Android asked me which app I
> would like to use, so I picked GV and checked the box to always use
> it.  Whenever I receive an SMS and open it, I am taken to the GV app,
> not the messaging app.
>
> GoogleVoicesends a notification to the status bar on incoming.  Is

Craig Lambert

Oct 28, 2010, 7:13:26 AM10/28/10
to tas...@googlegroups.com
The problem that I ran into was using Tasker to send a text through
google voice. I want to use the above process and then receive a reply
text with %LOC and %BATT. Unfortunately sending sms from Tasker always
goes through the built in messaging system. It would be neat to be
able to record a little macro for an app. Tasker can open Voice but I
can't get it to send a sms yet.

I thought that problem was solved by Steelgirder's plugin.  No?