Multi-context task problems with Cell Near & Display Off

iz

Sep 21, 2010, 3:06:29 PM9/21/10
to Tasker
Hello,

I would like to have Tasker turn off mobile data when I'm at work,
during regular hours, and the display is off. This way, if I'm at
work during irregular hours, mobile data is still on and I can get
notifications; similarly, when I'm at work during regular hours, I can
get notifications when I'm using the set, but if I'm not using the
set, mobile data is off, and I'm not distracted by personal emails/
texts/etc, but I can still get calls.

I thought I should have the following contexts/tasks to accomplish
this:

Context
* cell near (scanned while at work)
* time I normally arrive at and leave work
* display off

Start task - Mobile data off
End tast - Mobile data on

The problem I'm running into is that I can't seem to add exit tasks if
'Event -> display off' is part of the context. The menu that pops up
no longer has the option to add exit task once 'display off' is added
to the context. If I set up the other parts of the context and exit
task first, then add 'display off' to the context, both arrows are
green (instead of one green, one red).

Am I using the event wrong, or is it an issue with the program?
(Probably me right?) I didn't see any special instructions for
'display off' anywhere. I tried to do the same thing with a location
context instead of 'cell near' but I still had the same problem with
adding an exit task.

I'm running Tasker 1.09b4m on a Galaxy S (Vibrant) with 2.1.

UncleMike

Sep 21, 2010, 5:16:05 PM9/21/10
to Tasker
First, you can update to 1.0.9 - the release version. At least I
think you can. I'm using the non-Market version so I'm making some
assumptions about how the Market version updates work when you have a
beta installed.

The problem you're running into is that Display Off is an event, and
events are instantaneous, whereas other (non-event) contexts are
conditions that exist over a period of time. Because of the nature of
events, an exit task would run immediately following an enter task,
and not give you the results you're looking for. To do what you want,
you need to monitor the value of the built-in variable %SCREEN.

If you replace the Display Off context with the following:

Variable Value [Name: %SCREEN] [Op: Matches] [Value: off]

that should get you what you want.