Running a task via SSHDroid (or adb shell)

Vitaly

May 31, 2011, 3:42:13 AM5/31/11
to Tasker
I'm trying to run a task manually from ADB Shell, via SSHDroid. I'm
running the following in putty (Windows SSH client):

am broadcast -a net.dinglisch.android.tasker.ACTION_TASK -es task_name
Silent

On which I get:

Broadcasting: Intent { act=net.dinglisch.android.tasker.ACTION_TASK
dat=Silent }
Broadcast completed: result=0

However, despite the existence of task "Silent", nothing happens.
Could it be because SSHDroid doesn't have the
net.dinglisch.android.tasker.PERMISSION_RUN_TASKS permission? If so,
how can I fix that? If not, what else can be the cause?

Thanks!

Pent

May 31, 2011, 4:51:10 AM5/31/11
to Tasker

> However, despite the existence of task "Silent", nothing happens.
> Could it be because SSHDroid doesn't have the
> net.dinglisch.android.tasker.PERMISSION_RUN_TASKS permission?

Likely. And if not, you will run into that problem anyway.

> If so,
> how can I fix that?

Only by getting the developers to add the permission to their app I'm
afraid, which I guess is unlikely.

Pent

Vitaly

May 31, 2011, 6:46:42 AM5/31/11
to Tasker
Hi Pent,

It sounds rather strange that I can't do something about it from the
shell. After all, I am running a rooted device from its inner terminal
shell, surely if I can override the inner Android protections enough
to change its ROM, there is something to let me a broadcast an intent
with fake permission. I'll keep looking and post if I find anything.

Thanks for the reply!
Vitaly

BossMan

May 31, 2011, 8:18:10 AM5/31/11
to Tasker
Quick solution that comes to my mind could be to write a simple app
with Tasker's permissions that will act as a proxy - listen for
intents and forward it to Tasker.

BR,
A.

Vitaly

May 31, 2011, 8:36:08 AM5/31/11
to Tasker
It is a really good solution, however, my Java/Android programming
skills are not enough for the task :(

Vitaly

Pent

May 31, 2011, 11:11:57 AM5/31/11
to Tasker
> It sounds rather strange that I can't do something about it from the
> shell.

I think it's cool that even though you have root you can't mess around
with the OS internal operations easily.

> After all, I am running a rooted device from its inner terminal
> shell, surely if I can override the inner Android protections enough
> to change its ROM, there is something to let me a broadcast an intent
> with fake permission. I'll keep looking and post if I find anything.

Yes please, that would be pretty useful to me!

Pent