Specify Input Method (which keyboard) on Event or State

J.J.

Aug 2, 2010, 6:56:25 PM8/2/10
to Tasker
I think it'd be great to be able to tell Tasker which Input Method
(which keyboard) to use when you are in a given state or an event has
occurred. Making it a setting or something, and then one of the
options in that setting would be to long-click and up would pop up the
installed keyboards, and so you could set which one would be active.
this would be an action.

Can I do that now or is that a Feature Request? I would love it.
There are certain times where I want a certain keyboard (swiftkey for
example) and other times where I hate swiftkey and instead want the
standard Android keyboard.

BossMan

Aug 3, 2010, 3:41:42 AM8/3/10
to Tasker
It's already there: action Display->Input Method. It pops up the list
with the installed keyboards.

BR,
A.

IW

Aug 3, 2010, 4:15:14 AM8/3/10
to Tasker
Is there a way to change input method without the menu? I'd like to be
able to set one keyboard to use in landscape mode and a different one
for portrait.

J.J.

Aug 3, 2010, 10:59:13 AM8/3/10
to Tasker
Well that is close.. but like the last person, I'd like to set the
input method in Tasker, instead of having to select it from a menu
that pops up when something happens.

BossMan

Aug 3, 2010, 11:06:07 AM8/3/10
to Tasker
As far as I can tell, this is forbidden:
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/inputmethod/InputMethodManager.html
"A client application can ask that the system let the user pick a new
IME, but can not programmatically switch to one itself. This avoids
malicious applications from switching the user to their own IME, which
remains running when the user navigates away to another application. "

BR,
A.

J.J.

Aug 3, 2010, 12:51:05 PM8/3/10
to Tasker
Indeed. Thank you for finding that! Gotta love things verbotten

On Aug 3, 8:06 am, BossMan <adam.marynow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as I can tell, this is forbidden:http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/inputmethod/Input...

IW

Aug 3, 2010, 4:24:48 PM8/3/10
to Tasker
Ah, bad news :-(

I wonder if it's possible to make a little app to do the change (on a
rooted phone) and then call this from Tasker, hmm I'll investigate
when I can make the time.

BossMan

Aug 3, 2010, 4:49:19 PM8/3/10
to Tasker
I doubt it, unless you first crack the android code of course :)

BR,
A.