Tasker + Password Lock plugin

Stephane Gauvin

Sep 24, 2010, 4:24:12 PM9/24/10
to Tasker
As you may know, Willem Stoker has released a plugin that restores the
ability to programmatically (de)activate a PIN/password lock. (http://
www.appbrain.com/app/com.willemstoker.PasswordPlugin) Great news!

I would be interested in reading about attempts to make it work
reliably. An intuitive use is to disable (robust) PIN lock in familiar
locations such as home, and enable elsewhere. My experience with
location-based profiles is that they are unreliable, which means that
a lost/stolen/forgotten phone could be highly vulnerable (if the
enabling trigger hadn't worked as expected). It could also be true
that a phone is most vulnerable at home, where little hands (do you
have kids?) will compromise your device.

And maybe someone could think of a way to achieve a "progressive
lock" (i.e. use a simple pattern as default. On failure, trigger PIN
lock, based on the assumption that the device is under attack).

--

Frankly, I am a bit concerned that my phone gives access to all of my
data (via gmail/dropbox). On the one hand I do not want to have to

Kage_

Sep 24, 2010, 5:41:17 PM9/24/10
to Tasker
Man that's just cool... These are apps that I don't mind paying for.

Now for idea's. I'm not sure if there is a way to detect when a phone
has been unlocked, but if there is then have the plugin disable the
lock screen. A timer could then run and be set to x time to turn the
security back on.

Your idea's for location based locking is interesting. I personally
would only want it unlocked when I'm at home. This is the only place
I would feel safe. If I lost it then I know it's in the house some
place. My home wifi network connection should be enough to give me
the location. That is really reliable, well as reliable as your
access point.

On Sep 24, 3:24 pm, Stephane Gauvin <gauvi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As you may know, Willem Stoker has released a plugin that restores the
> ability to programmatically (de)activate a PIN/password lock. (http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.willemstoker.PasswordPlugin) Great news!

UncleMike

Sep 24, 2010, 9:46:24 PM9/24/10
to Tasker
I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but as a backup to
any more creative profiles, you could always enable the lock upon
receipt of an SMS with a specific phrase in it. If you ever realize
your phone is missing, find/borrow a phone and send the SMS to your
phone to lock it. You could even have Tasker respond with an SMS
confirming receipt and that the phone is locked. You could also do
this via an email to your SMS email address, but Tasker would not be
able to send the response SMS in this case.

On Sep 24, 4:24 pm, Stephane Gauvin <gauvi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As you may know, Willem Stoker has released a plugin that restores the
> ability to programmatically (de)activate a PIN/password lock. (http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.willemstoker.PasswordPlugin) Great news!

Slipshod

Sep 25, 2010, 1:19:08 AM9/25/10
to Tasker
How about making it disable only when @Home and "User Present".
Wouldn't that make it so you have to unlock it once while at home
before it becomes completely unlocked?

Slipshod

Sep 25, 2010, 1:59:05 AM9/25/10
to Tasker
Ok, looks like the "user present" event is now "Display Unlocked".

Here's what I ended up doing:

Profile:Home unlock
<State WiFi Near> = "home SSID"
<State Variable Set> = "%USERPRESENT = 1
:Enter: Password Lock = off.
:Exit: Password Lock = on, "password"
Set variable %USERPRESENT = 0

Profile: "User Present"
<Event - Display Unlocked>
:Enter: Set variable %USERPRESENT = 1

On quick testing, it seems like it works... If I'm at home (near my
SSID) and I pin unlock the phone, it stays unlocked until I either
leave home (can't see SSID), or clear the variable, and at that point
the password is set and the variable is cleared.

Stephane Gauvin

Sep 25, 2010, 8:44:10 AM9/25/10
to Tasker
Yes, I completely agree. Haven't had enough time to put it to a test,
but one idea is to use a short PIN most of the time and to trigger a
complex PW via SMS.

Stephane Gauvin

Sep 25, 2010, 8:45:57 AM9/25/10
to Tasker

Stephane Gauvin

Sep 25, 2010, 9:03:50 AM9/25/10
to Tasker
I'll follow this thread in case you update us on your experience. I
would hesitate to trust an exit task to activate a strong PIN, but
would instead rely on periodic activation "if home not true"

CodeMonkey

Sep 25, 2010, 9:14:09 AM9/25/10
to Tasker
Funnily enough I posted about this on another forum the other day
(hello Uncle Mike..)

I'm using this plugin but not in a location based way - I just wanted
a delayed lock that worked independently of the screen lock. I have
only tested this with a PIN lock on a stock N1 with Froyo.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The profile will lock the phone if it is not charging and has not been
in use for 30 minutes. To change this delay, set the %LOCKDELAY
variable in profile 1 to the required amount. I'd suggest testing with
a shorted time span whilst you still have the refund option on the
plugin to make sure you are happy with the results.

Profile 1: "Lock Delay"
Contexts:
Display Off
Not Power
Task: DelayLock
1. Variable Set %LOCKDELAY To 30
2. Wait 1 minute
3. Variable Subtract %LOCKDELAY Value 1
4. Stop IF $SCREEN ~ on
5. Goto Action Number 2 IF %LOCKDELAY > 0
6. Password Lock Plugin ON IF %SCREEN ~ off
Set Task Properties: Abort Existing Task. Keep Device Awake

Profile 2: "Unlock"
Contexts:
Display Unlocked
Task: Unlock
1. Password Lock Plugin OFF

This is just a basic use of it, but it seems to be reliable for me. As
with all internet postings, YMMV

On Sep 24, 9:24 pm, Stephane Gauvin <gauvi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As you may know, Willem Stoker has released apluginthat restores the
> ability to programmatically (de)activate a PIN/passwordlock. (http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.willemstoker.PasswordPlugin) Great news!
>
> I would be interested in reading about attempts to make it work
> reliably. An intuitive use is to disable (robust) PINlockin familiar
> locations such as home, and enable elsewhere. My experience with
> location-based profiles is that they are unreliable, which means that
> a lost/stolen/forgotten phone could be highly vulnerable (if the
> enabling trigger hadn't worked as expected). It could also be true
> that a phone is most vulnerable at home, where little hands (do you
> have kids?) will compromise your device.
>
> And maybe someone could think of a way to achieve a "progressivelock" (i.e. use a simple pattern as default. On failure, trigger PINlock, based on the assumption that the device is under attack).

Slipshod

Sep 25, 2010, 5:59:33 PM9/25/10
to Tasker
I'm curious about your reluctance to use an exit task. Is it a
concern about bugs preventing from firing reliably?

It seems to be working so far... I've left home a few times and the
pin has always come back up.