Get rid of APN droid...

Muad

Oct 23, 2010, 5:31:02 AM10/23/10
to Tasker
Knowing that froyo allows us to use api to enable/disable data
connection, finally is the moment of allow users to choose the use of
apn droid, given that now we are obliged to use it...
Tasker must allow to choose our path; apndroid or not.
Thanks Pent.

Pent

Oct 23, 2010, 1:10:29 PM10/23/10
to Tasker
> Knowing that froyo allows us to use api to enable/disable data
> connection,

Could you link the developer documentation for this please, because
I have no idea where in the API that's possible.

I know there's a UI checkbox for it. Doesn't mean there's an API
function.

Pent

TW

Oct 24, 2010, 3:00:33 AM10/24/10
to Tasker
I am using Extended Controls which is a widget with a lot of settings
including APN On/Off
this ticks/unticks the checkbox in the Settings - Mobile network
settings - Data enabled
don't know how but it is possible

TW

Oct 24, 2010, 3:43:36 AM10/24/10
to Tasker
scrap that..
on my current CM6 nightly it doesn't seem to toggle the checkbox
although I seem to remember it did so a few months back with other
roms..
now it seems to do the same as Tasker with Mobile Data On/Off and they
seem to work together

Muad

Oct 24, 2010, 3:16:36 AM10/24/10
to Tasker

My apologies if that sounded too pretentious. All I know is what I
readed on beta apndroid info site which stands:
(quote)
added new way for switching connection - native android api. it is
enabled by default, for new users.
(end quote)
I insist, I dont mean to be rude, just asking for the option to
choose.

Pent

Oct 24, 2010, 5:48:21 AM10/24/10
to Tasker
> My apologies if that sounded too pretentious.

You did a bit, apology accepted :-)

> All I know is what I
> readed on beta apndroid info site which stands:
> (quote)
> added new way for switching connection - native android api. it is
> enabled by default, for new users.
> (end quote)

When I used that option it did not remove the Mobile Data tick in
Android settings. Possibly it would in a modified ROM.

Pent

Muad

Oct 24, 2010, 6:06:59 AM10/24/10
to Tasker
as I told in other thread, tasker v 10 works fine with apndroid beta
which uses this way to toggle data conn, without modiying apn settings
(preffix way) on my galaxy s with jph rom (froyo not official, but
from samsung, I mean -not cooked-)

Muad

Oct 25, 2010, 3:47:27 AM10/25/10
to Tasker
Trying a different approach without APNDroid: (remember, in froyo)
Mobile-data help says that "this action requires that mobile data is
initially turned on in android settings",
So, first of all I enabled data network manually in android settings
and programmed action from XXhYYm to ZZhWWm, each 1 hour with action:
- mobile data toggle
- auto-sync on
- wait 3min
- auto-sync off
- mobile data toggle
... and it works 100% without using APNDroid (is not installed).
BUT (there is always a "but") whenever I want to enable mobile data
manually, I mean, holding power button and clicking on "data network
mode" as shown on (pic) -->
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_D9JsNCpcHpo/TIHnEc3Cp9I/AAAAAAAAHk4/zdbC5dwJmng/s512/snap20100904_122919.jpg
, simply, data network can not be activated at will, note: Data
network is still checked on android settings, but somehow tasker "is
the boss" and mobile data cant be enabled unless I activate from
tasker a new action with mobile data toggle.
And by doing this, data network go unchecked in android settings, and
the action above described won't work anymore... in a infinite loop.
So, desesperation hugs me.

Pent

Oct 25, 2010, 7:02:36 AM10/25/10
to Tasker

> BUT (there is always a "but") whenever I want to enable mobile data
> manually, I mean, holding power button and clicking on "data network
> mode" as shown on (pic) -->http://lh5.ggpht.com/_D9JsNCpcHpo/TIHnEc3Cp9I/AAAAAAAAHk4/zdbC5dwJmng...

Could try detecting that button click.

Again, I know it's not ideal, it's because Google marked the UI
setting as 'secure' in cupcake because they explicitly don't want apps
to change it automatically.

Pent

Muad

Oct 25, 2010, 7:04:54 AM10/25/10
to Tasker
Thanks for trying.

> Could try detecting that button click.

> Pent

night crawler

Nov 2, 2010, 7:01:10 AM11/2/10
to Tasker
I too, will be very happy if we can get rid of the dependency with
other application. ;-) What about doing the same trick APNDroid does,
by ability to change the APN name?

_rs_

Pent

Nov 2, 2010, 7:18:35 AM11/2/10
to Tasker
> I too, will be very happy if we can get rid of the dependency with
> other application. ;-) What about doing the same trick APNDroid does,
> by ability to change the APN name?

What's the point of me reimplementing something that they've already
done and will take me ages ?

Pent

night crawler

Nov 3, 2010, 5:20:47 AM11/3/10
to Tasker
Availability of limited memory. loading more apps will cost more
memory, unless more tasks in Tasker also adds more memory. ;)

_rs_