Only use 2g networks

Alec

Jul 22, 2010, 7:26:28 AM7/22/10
to Tasker
Hi

Is it possible to create a task so that it will switch the option to
use only 2g networks? My aim is to make it so that when the screen is
off it uses 2g, when the screen is on it uses 3g.

Any help is much appreciated!

Alec

Calvin

Jul 22, 2010, 7:34:54 AM7/22/10
to Tasker
2g/3g control is on the ToDo list:
http://tasker.dinglisch.net/todo.html

besides that, Android doesn't make the needed methods available to
developers. I haven't found a single piece of software that could
switch between 2g and 3g networks. (Besides some widgets that take you
to the setting screen where you still have to change it manually.)
So if you know of any widgets that can do that.... let me know!

Gizz

Jul 23, 2010, 8:42:22 AM7/23/10
to Tasker
APNDroid or HiAPN renames the internet apn to make it impossible to
connect through mobile data. Also twhen installed (?) Tasker has an
option to enable/disable mobile data. (looking at the apn name I
suspect it's using APNdroid to achieve this).

Dave Fisher

Jul 23, 2010, 8:49:57 AM7/23/10
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gizz!

Gizz <gizz...@gmail.com> wrote :

> APNDroid or HiAPN renames the internet apn to make it impossible to
> connect through mobile data. Also twhen installed (?) Tasker has an
> option to enable/disable mobile data. (looking at the apn name I
> suspect it's using APNdroid to achieve this).

It does. But he (we) don't want to disable the APN, we want to disable the 3G part of the radio and only use 2G, which doesn't suck battery juice as much (more so when the 3G speeds I get are about the same as 2G anyway!).

Alas this is something for Google to be slapped about over (makes no sense to me why it can't be toggled by 3rd parties).

BR
Dave F

Marcus

Jul 23, 2010, 8:51:51 AM7/23/10
to Tasker
Yeah but this will prevent any mobile data connection right?
He wants to use 2g when he doesn't actively use the phone and wants to
switch to 3g when the screen is on.
He doesn't want to completely deactivate it.

The only thing I can think of would be changing the 2g/3g preference
option, that is also available through some special menu (with a
keycode that I don't remember atm). It gives you more options than the
normal 2g/3g or 2g only or 3g only options.
It allows you to tell the phone to prefer 2g or 3g when it is
available, but it will still fall back to the other option when it has
to.