How do I setup a task in Tasker to reboot my phone like during the night??

George Poulos

Aug 24, 2010, 11:26:23 AM8/24/10
to Tasker
I have tried everything??

Pent

Aug 24, 2010, 1:51:26 PM8/24/10
to Tasker
> I have tried everything??

Sorry, it's not possible without root permissions and Froyo. And even
then, Tasker isn't setup
to do it yet (though it's on the todo list).

Pent

George Poulos

Aug 24, 2010, 2:37:24 PM8/24/10
to Tasker
I am running a CM6.0 one of the nightly builds. Its Froyo and I am
rooted.
Damn!!!!!!!!!

short/y

Aug 24, 2010, 4:22:58 PM8/24/10
to Tasker
Grab the Locale Execute Plug-in from the market (see
http://www.appbrain.com/app/de.elmicha.app.LocaleExecute) and have it
execute "su reboot" at the appropriate time. Execute will be in the
plugin category on the Tasks tab. Note that I haven't tried this but
it should work. The Superuser app may prompt you for your OK to give
Execute superuser permissions the first time you run it.
--
Tony

Jerry Riechert

Aug 24, 2010, 11:07:01 PM8/24/10
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I suspect the phone has to be rooted for this to work? Cause it isn't working for me on my stock Droid Froyo.
--
Jerry

short/y

Aug 25, 2010, 1:07:46 PM8/25/10
to Tasker
True, you must be rooted. Original poster said he was rooted and
running a CM6 nightly, as am I :)
--
Tony

On Aug 24, 8:07 pm, Jerry Riechert <jriech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I suspect the phone has to be rooted for this to work? Cause it isn't working for me on my stock DroidFroyo.
> --
> Jerry
> On 8/24/2010 1:22 PM, short/y wrote:Grab the Locale Execute Plug-in from the market (seehttp://www.appbrain.com/app/de.elmicha.app.LocaleExecute) and have it execute "su reboot" at the appropriate time. Execute will be in the plugin category on the Tasks tab. Note that I haven't tried this but it should work. The Superuser app may prompt you for your OK to give Execute superuser permissions the first time you run it. -- Tony On Aug 24, 11:37 am, George Poulos<gpoul...@gmail.com>wrote:I am running a CM6.0 one of the nightly builds. Its Froyo and I am rooted. Damn!!!!!!!!! On Aug 24, 10:51 am, Pent<tas...@dinglisch.net>wrote:I have tried everything??Sorry, it's not possible without root permissions and Froyo. And even then, Tasker isn't setup to do it yet (though it's on the todo list).Pent
Message has been deleted

Ozgreg

Sep 22, 2010, 10:19:52 PM9/22/10
to Tasker
hmm that sounds like your script is not being given SU (Super User)
Root access.. The SCRIPT MUST have root access for the reboot to
work..

On Sep 23, 12:10 pm, Ilya Eliseev <ilya.elis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am rooted and it still doesn't work. I am trying to create reboot
> widget....
>
> On Aug 25, 1:07 pm, "short/y" <tsum...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > True, you must be rooted. Original poster said he was rooted and
> > running a CM6 nightly, as am I :)
> > --
> > Tony
>
> > On Aug 24, 8:07 pm, Jerry Riechert <jriech...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I suspect the phone has to be rooted for this to work? Cause it isn't working for me on my stock DroidFroyo.
> > > --
> > > Jerry
> > > On 8/24/2010 1:22 PM, short/y wrote:Grab the Locale Execute Plug-in from the market (seehttp://www.appbrain.com/app/de.elmicha.app.LocaleExecute) and have it execute "sureboot" at the appropriate time. Execute will be in the plugin category on the Tasks tab. Note that I haven't tried this but it should work. The Superuser app may prompt you for your OK to give Execute superuser permissions the first time you run it. -- Tony On Aug 24, 11:37 am, George Poulos<gpoul...@gmail.com>wrote:I am running a CM6.0 one of the nightly builds. Its Froyo and I am rooted. Damn!!!!!!!!! On Aug 24, 10:51 am, Pent<tas...@dinglisch.net>wrote:I have tried everything??Sorry, it's not possible without root permissions and Froyo. And even then, Tasker isn't setup to do it yet (though it's on the todo list).Pent
Message has been deleted

short/y

Sep 23, 2010, 5:21:21 PM9/23/10
to Tasker
Turns out the Locale Execute plugin has provisions for running as root
so you don't have to use su. Instead, code it as follows

!reboot

Note that the first time you run it you'll have to respond to the
superuser request. Remember to tick the "always allow" box.
--
Tony

On Sep 23, 10:37 am, Ilya Eliseev <ilya.elis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running "su" then "reboot" I get permission for su and I klick
> "allow" but phone does not reboot. If I enter the same in terminal the
> phone does reboot.
Message has been deleted

Kage_

Sep 24, 2010, 1:04:21 PM9/24/10
to Tasker
Wonderful! I've been looking for a way to reboot my phone one a
week. I end up doing it manually and this works out wonderfully!

Kage_

Sep 24, 2010, 1:44:56 PM9/24/10
to Tasker
I also added this to the Tasker Wiki. :)

http://tasker.wikidot.com/devicereboot

baudi

Sep 24, 2010, 4:14:11 PM9/24/10
to Tasker
Actually, it was already there: http://tasker.wikidot.com/milestoneroot

Lock-N-Load

Oct 7, 2010, 11:04:10 AM10/7/10
to Tasker
Just an FYI to everyone.. the Locale Execute Plug-in should not be
moved to the SD card. I downloaded it, setup my profile, then - since
I am rooted - moved the Locale Execute Plug-in to the SD card and when
you do that, it removes the ability to setup and run the Plugin >
Execute ability. I put it back on the phones internal memory and
viola, Plugin > Execute ability is available again.

wish it was not this way.

On Aug 24, 1:22 pm, "short/y" <tsum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Grab the Locale Execute Plug-in from the market (seehttp://www.appbrain.com/app/de.elmicha.app.LocaleExecute) and have it
> execute "sureboot" at the appropriate time. Execute will be in the

Korbi

Oct 10, 2010, 10:14:40 AM10/10/10
to Tasker
Hi!
I just tried using this reboot-profile on my device. But I ran into
some odd problems which I couldnt solve:
My device is rooted, I installed the "locale execute plugin" and
created a task in tasker (plugin-->execute --> config "!reboot" )
So far no complications. Then I tested the task and gave it super user
rights. But no reboot happend. So i clicked "test" again and there
came a popup "!reboot"; after few seconds there came a popup "Locale
execute plugin was granted su-rights" (or something similar), but then
again nothing happend.
What is going wrong?

Cheers

Korbi

baudi

Oct 10, 2010, 11:07:57 AM10/10/10
to Tasker
Nothing. Try it one more time.

Korbinian Graser

Oct 10, 2010, 11:13:15 AM10/10/10
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I tried it more than 10 times. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the locale
execute plugin - it still doesn’t work. There must be an error somewhere.
Any ideas what I can try to locate it?

Cheers

Korbi

Oct 10, 2010, 2:14:30 PM10/10/10
to Tasker
Space between ! and reboot?

On Oct 10, 11:13 am, Korbinian Graser

Korbinian Graser

Oct 10, 2010, 2:17:26 PM10/10/10
to tas...@googlegroups.com
No. But I now tried it with "! reboot" (without the ") and it also didn’t
work. I still only got the popup message "! reboot"...

Cheers

Korbi

Oct 10, 2010, 6:27:52 PM10/10/10
to Tasker
I suppose it's possible that you don't have the reboot command on your
phone. That's about the only thing I can think of that would cause it
to behave as you describe. Have you tried running a command shell,
gaining superuser and running the reboot command that way?

On my phone (Nexus One running a recent CM6 nightly), reboot is in /
system/bin/reboot and is a symlink to /system/bin/toolbox. I thought
that was standard on all phones/implementations but maybe not.
--
Tony

On Oct 10, 11:17 am, Korbinian Graser

Korbinian Graser

Oct 11, 2010, 4:08:09 AM10/11/10
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the answer.
It could be possible, that the reboot command is changed on my device. I am
running a custom rom and discovered that there is a reboot-mod installed.
(long pressing the power off button brings up the standard menu but there is
an additional entry "reboot" which I think is not there in the standard rom)

But since the mod does reboot my phone the command to reboot must be hidden
somewhere in the phone. I just don’t know where...

I never tried running a command shell, since I dont know how to do it. My
Linux/Android Skills are unfortunately very limited. Could You explain me
how to do it?

And is there a way to search for the reboot command?

Thanks for your help!

Greetz

Korbi

__________ Hinweis von ESET NOD32 Antivirus, Signaturdatenbank-Version 5519
(20101011) __________

E-Mail wurde geprüft mit ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

__________ Hinweis von ESET NOD32 Antivirus, Signaturdatenbank-Version 5519
(20101011) __________

Korbinian Graser

Oct 11, 2010, 5:10:47 AM10/11/10
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I have just been told, that a reboot could be initiated by calling internal
library functions. Specifically by calling
"com.android.internal.app.ShutdownThread.reboot()"
Does this help to solve my problem? How can I call this function with
tasker?

Tony

Oct 11, 2010, 5:35:47 PM10/11/10
to Tasker
Sorry, I'm not qualified to walk you through running a command shell.
There are quite a few others in this group who can probably help or at
least point you to a website that describes the process. And, unless
someone wants to address the alternative method you describe, it's
probably best to either wait for someone here to step in or ask
someone you know to help you with the command line.
--
Tony

On Oct 11, 2:10 am, Korbinian Graser <korbinian.gra...@googlemail.com>

JM

Oct 11, 2010, 8:09:03 PM10/11/10
to Tasker

On Oct 11, 4:08 am, Korbinian Graser <korbinian.gra...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> I never tried running a command shell, since I dont know how to do it. My
> Linux/Android Skills are unfortunately very limited. Could You explain me
> how to do it?
>
> And is there a way to search for therebootcommand?

Get a terminal emulator. The one that comes with some roms force-
closes but there is another free one in the Market. It's the one not
made by google I think. Open it and type:
su [then hit enter]

You'll be asked for superuser rights, say yes. Now type:

reboot [then hit enter]

If it reboots the phone, your reboot command is fine. If it says it's
not found, you're probably out of luck for a really simple fix because
typing it in a terminal searches for it in the directories where your
executables are located. It's unlikely it would be anywhere else on
the phone.

chrisJz

Oct 11, 2010, 8:09:46 PM10/11/10
to Tasker
im having this same exact problem. Its almost like your using my
phone. I too have a custom rom (redemption) with a custom power mod,
that has the options of rebooting into recovery/bootloader/normal. I
would try and change my power mod, but i really like the option of
rebooting into recovery. Ill try some other things and keep you
posted, do the same please.

chrisJz

Oct 11, 2010, 8:15:37 PM10/11/10
to Tasker
I just ran the terminal emulator and when i type reboot, it says not
permitted.

baudi

Oct 11, 2010, 8:26:23 PM10/11/10
to Tasker
If JM's technique demonstrates that you don't have reboot installed,
you can install busybox, which will install reboot and lots of other
commands.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/busybox/stericson.busybox

baudi

Oct 11, 2010, 8:28:38 PM10/11/10
to Tasker
You have to type su<enter> first.

Check out this wiki entry. http://tasker.wikidot.com/rootbasic

chrisJz

Oct 11, 2010, 9:58:21 PM10/11/10
to Tasker
I did

JM

Oct 11, 2010, 11:06:45 PM10/11/10
to Tasker
I see a little confusion here and it's the terminal's fault. Most
terminals say "not found" when it can't find a command, but the old
standard terminal (I use Better Terminal Emulator Pro) says "not
permitted". I guess that's it's only error message and it uses it for
everything.

I downloaded the redemption rom and it looks like it does have the
reboot command, although it's a binary file instead of a link like
other roms. Try typing:

ls /system/bin/reboot

This simply tries to list the reboot file in /system/bin. If it says
"no such file or directory", you don't have it. If it says "/system/
bin/reboot", you do have it.

Heh, I really have no idea what to do if you have it and it's not
working.

As baudi said, installing busybox might fix it. I also found a
workaround. You may be able to use the command "toolbox reboot"
instead of "reboot". It worked on my Nexus One.

Korbi

Oct 13, 2010, 4:41:58 AM10/13/10
to Tasker
Hi!
tanks for helping! I tried the terminal and my phone behaves exactly
like ChrisJz's. It says "not permited" even if i gave su-rights.
The command ls /system/bin/reboot gives back no error, so the file
must exist...

My Rom allready has busybox built in.

What about this hint I got:

>>I have just been told, that a reboot could be initiated by calling internal
>>library functions. Specifically by calling
>>"com.android.internal.app.ShutdownThread.reboot()"
>>Does this help to solve my problem? How can I call this function with
>>tasker?

Could this help?

Cheers

korbi

JM

Oct 13, 2010, 9:00:34 AM10/13/10
to Tasker

Maybe someone else can tell you, but I have no idea on that one. Did
you try running "toolbox reboot" in a terminal, or with Tasker?

Korbinian Graser

Oct 13, 2010, 9:34:27 AM10/13/10
to tas...@googlegroups.com
In Tasker. But I just ran it in a terminal (with su-rights): I got the
message "reboot: no such tool".
Something is strange about my phone... :-/
Any ideas what this means?

Oct 13, 2010, 10:22:45 PM10/13/10
to Tasker
I guess Toolbox can't find the reboot command or isn't set up to
handle it or something (I don't know much about Toolbox). I think your
rom is just reboot unfriendly, you might have better luck asking how
to get it to reboot from the command line on the forum for that rom.

On Oct 13, 9:34 am, Korbinian Graser <korbinian.gra...@googlemail.com>

Korbinian Graser

Oct 20, 2010, 6:16:16 AM10/20/10
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
I asked the developer of the rom, but he also had no clue what command I
could try.

But I solved the problem anyway, or rather someone solved it for me:

I stumbled about the small app "Quick Boot" (
http://www.appbrain.com/app/quick-boot/com.siriusapplications.quickboot )
and contacted the developer. Here is his answer:
" For Tasker, you should pick Misc > Action Intent, with action
com.siriusapplications.quickboot.REBOOT and cat default and target Service.
This is a normal reboot"
And it worked!!!

Thank you all for helping me with the probelm!

Cheers

Korbi

__________ Hinweis von ESET NOD32 Antivirus, Signaturdatenbank-Version 5547
(20101020) __________

E-Mail wurde gepruft mit ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

Chris

Nov 2, 2010, 3:56:20 PM11/2/10
to Tasker
Jeebus that Wiki entry just opened up a Pandora's box, My wife now
hates me because I spent the last two days hacking my phone with root
commands.

Best thing? I managed to make it so I can launch my Xperia camera with
the torch on or off (the LED setting is buried in a menu otherwise) I
already had the camera button mapped to a menu of different camera
apps and a bar code scanner so I just added a task to the menu to
launch the camera with the LED set to 50

Thanx.