Graphical and functional issues under MIUI

rcocchiararo

Jul 13, 2011, 10:28:25 AM7/13/11
to Tasker
First i wanted to make sure everyone knows what MIUI is:

MIUI is a "custom" android version made by: http://www.miui.com/

Its originally released in CHINESE, and translated to MANY languages
(each of one usually have their own site and forums).
Its compiled from a HEAVILY modified AOSP source, so its always up to
date like CyanoGenMod.

I dare to say thats the 2nd most popular Dev team/Rom after CyanoGen.

The chinese developers now have an english webpage: http://en.miui.com/

This Custom android version is officially available for MANY devices,
and unofficially for many more.

They recently reached a "stable" milestone, wich they call 2.3.4a
(based on AOSP 2.3.4 source, wich they have been using for some time),
but they still release 1 new version (beta) each friday.

Officially supported phones:
http://www.miui.com/development.html
http://miuiandroid.com/roms/miui-development-roms/

Non country related translation team/site:
http://miuiandroid.com/

USA specific site:
http://miui.us/

----------------------

Why did i took the trouble of saying all that ? Because i wanted to
make it clear that MIUI is NOT "just another custom rom", and taking
it into consideration, i believe, is important, and not "Sorry, the
time-investment versus users-benefitting ratio is very
poor in this case :-( " or stuff like that.

Now, on to the issues:

1) after MIUI started using the 2.3.* AOSP source, SMS triggered
profiles stoped working. It SEEMS that they changed something on the
SMS database, and this was brought up on this forums, but it was also
dismissed as "Sorry, the time-investment versus users-benefitting
ratio is very
poor in this case :-( "

I believe this is not the case, thats why i opened this thread like i
did, but pent will decide, again.

2) Ever since MIUI customized android even more (white backgrounds
everywhere, mostly), some tasker TEXTS are ultra hard to read. This
same thing happens on a few other apps, but we can fix it by enabling
(or disabling) compatibility mode (returns the black backgrounds,
mostly). In tasker, it has no effect.
PIC: http://db.tt/mIPO7lZ

3) I have no idea when this last one started, but recently i had to
modify a time triggered profile, and its imposible to select the
"minutes" of both "start" and "end" when we are on landscape, and then
when we rotate the screen, its imposible to select the hour and
minutes of the "End"
PICS: http://db.tt/KSXjZit http://db.tt/aKT6aKs

---------

I know this wont be THAT "valid", but just in my office, we are 6 guys
with Android phones, 4 of which own tasker, and run MIUI :P (1
milestone, 1 inspire 4g, and 2 motorola Defy).

Pent

Jul 13, 2011, 2:45:22 PM7/13/11
to Tasker
Thanks for the info.

> 1) after MIUI started using the 2.3.* AOSP source, SMS triggered
> profiles stoped working. It SEEMS that they changed something on the
> SMS database, and this was brought up on this forums, but it was also
> dismissed as "Sorry, the time-investment versus users-benefitting
> ratio is very poor in this case :-( "
>
> I believe this is not the case, thats why i opened this thread like i
> did, but pent will decide, again.

Maybe a couple hundred Tasker users have MIUI. The other 60k don't.
The couple hundred MIUI users can use most of the other Tasker
functionality, this is just a single feature. So, 1% of the
functionality of about 0.3% of the users isn't working.

In addition, maybe they change it back to how they did it before in 3
months.
Who knows ? If I add a new feature based on stock ROMs it will still
be working years in the future.

> 2) Ever since MIUI customized android even more (white backgrounds
> everywhere, mostly), some tasker TEXTS are ultra hard to read. This
> same thing happens on a few other apps, but we can fix it by enabling
> (or disabling) compatibility mode (returns the black backgrounds,
> mostly). In tasker, it has no effect.
> PIC:http://db.tt/mIPO7lZ

Next version you can customize the Tasker UI backgrounds (try the beta
posted above if you like).

> 3) I have no idea when this last one started, but recently i had to
> modify a time triggered profile, and its imposible to select the
> "minutes" of both "start" and "end" when we are on landscape, and then
> when we rotate the screen, its imposible to select the hour and
> minutes of the "End"

I might be able to do something about that but I'm not going to
install MIUI just to test that theory. If you get back to me after
21st July I can try some changes if you will test them for me.

Pent

rcocchiararo

Jul 13, 2011, 2:55:12 PM7/13/11
to Tasker
1) Buuu :P (do you know the specific change that broke it ? i don't,
just asking)

2) nice, will try the beta

3) i will certainly come back for this one

Lets see if Vlingo can do what tasker did for SMSs then (i just used
it to read me SMSs when i was on my "car" profile)

Pent

Jul 13, 2011, 4:48:17 PM7/13/11
to Tasker
> 1) Buuu :P (do you know the specific change that broke it ? i don't,
> just asking)

No idea.

Pent

will miller

Jul 24, 2011, 4:41:14 AM7/24/11
to Tasker
Hey Pent, Did you ever get time to changes anything. I can test for
you.

aandrad...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2011, 7:45:45 PM8/2/11
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Beta IU works like a charm..

Pent

Aug 3, 2011, 5:10:23 AM8/3/11
to Tasker
> Beta IU works like a charm..

The time context looks OK ?

I'm pretty sure you don't mean the SMS issue is fixed :-)

Pent

rcocchiararo

Aug 3, 2011, 9:08:15 AM8/3/11
to Tasker
Sure he does not mean the SMS thing :P

it seems the chineese guys are using more and more custom APIs or
something :(

will test the beta now, somehow i forgot before :P

rcocchiararo

Aug 3, 2011, 9:57:54 AM8/3/11
to Tasker
Hey, what beta version, miui version and what did you do ?

i installed beta 17, and i still can´t set time correctly.

rcocchiararo

Aug 3, 2011, 9:58:50 AM8/3/11
to Tasker
Oh, text is PERFECTLY legible now tho.

Pent

Aug 3, 2011, 3:49:54 PM8/3/11
to Tasker
> Oh, text is PERFECTLY legible now tho.

You mean the UI text ?

You can customize the backgrounds in prefs if you like too.

Pent

rcocchiararo

Aug 5, 2011, 8:37:42 PM8/5/11
to Tasker
Yes, i meant that.

Before 1.1, i reported that text was to light, and was hard as hell to
read.

Now even with no background modification, it rocks again.

Setting time remains imposible tho :(

KowboyBebop

Oct 2, 2011, 7:26:38 AM10/2/11
to Tasker
So how is the Time picker problem going? I too started using MIUI and
I use tasker a lot (alarms too, so I pick times often). It's pretty
inconvient.

Thanks for info

Pent

Oct 2, 2011, 7:32:46 AM10/2/11
to Tasker
> So how is the Time picker problem going? I too started using MIUI and
> I use tasker a lot (alarms too, so I pick times often). It's pretty
> inconvient.

The update yesterday should have fixed it.

Pent

KowboyBebop

Oct 2, 2011, 3:45:07 PM10/2/11
to Tasker
Yes, it is working. That's really great. Weird thing is that I had
checked for new version before I send that post and got "you got the
latest version" dialog. Now I rechecked and it's fixed.
Anyway thank you for your hard work, Pent. Tasker is the best app =)