Droid X, Gingerbread and take call action

BradM

Jun 3, 2011, 5:32:14 PM6/3/11
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I just upgraded my Droid X to Gingerbread on Wednesday. I have a profile that automatically answers a call (take call) when I've got headphones plugged in. I have this because most likely my phone is strapped to my arm and it's difficult to locate and slide the answer slider.

I think this was working on Froyo but now that I'm on Gingerbread, it pops up that the action is not allowed on my handset. This must have worked before because I was able to select the action. Now, it won't let me select the take call action if I try to add it to another profile (Pent, it doesn't complain if I edit the existing action so there's no indication that it's no longer available unless I try to add it to a profile or run it).

Is this a temporary problem or is it permanent? If permanent, is there any other trick I can use to automatically answer a call without turning the auto answer option in android settings manually?

Brad

BossMan

Jun 3, 2011, 5:58:15 PM6/3/11
to tas...@googlegroups.com
As far as I remember Pent's approach was similar to that used in Tedd's Droid Tools app. And that app says now:
"Attention Android 2.3 Users:

The answer/reject call tool will not work on Android 2.3. Google has revoked the ability for market applications like this one from using the permission needed to answer and reject incoming calls and made it a "system only" permission. The app will force close if you do try to answer/reject a call with this tool."

So assuming Pent implemented this in the same way, this will be a permanent issue on Gingerbread.

BR,
A.

Pent

Jun 4, 2011, 6:16:04 AM6/4/11
to Tasker
> So assuming Pent implemented this in the same way, this will be a permanent
> issue on Gingerbread.

Yes.

Although at least it doesn't force close :-)

Pent

BradM

Jun 4, 2011, 11:08:37 AM6/4/11
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Do you think it could become an option if rooted?

BossMan

Jun 4, 2011, 12:40:31 PM6/4/11
to tas...@googlegroups.com
No, I don't think so - it was already working using an internal api and now android code has been cleaned up, gaps have been filled... This is happening every release - every time, new features are added, but at the same time some unofficial way of doing things become obsoleted...

BR,
A.

Pent

Jun 4, 2011, 1:01:08 PM6/4/11
to Tasker
> No, I don't think so - it was already working using an internal api and now >android code has been cleaned up, gaps have been filled... This is happening >every release - every time, new features are added, but at the same time >some unofficial way of doing things become obsoleted...

Unfortunately many of those unoffical things were extremely useful.

Pent
Message has been deleted

BossMan

Jun 4, 2011, 2:38:22 PM6/4/11
to tas...@googlegroups.com
It's a whole different story, but hey - google knows better what's good for us, right? ;)

A.

BradM

Jun 4, 2011, 5:18:51 PM6/4/11
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Can you access or affect the Auto answer option in call settings? I can always manually turn it on when I want the auto answer function but it would be nice if Tasker could turn it on and off for me.

Pent

Jun 5, 2011, 2:02:32 AM6/5/11
to Tasker
> Can you access or affect the Auto answer option in call settings? I can
> always manually turn it on when I want the auto answer function but it would
> be nice if Tasker could turn it on and off for me.

Sorry, no. Often you can do that kind of thing via the Call action and
a special phone number from your telco though.

Pent

BradM

Jun 12, 2011, 10:01:26 AM6/12/11
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Pent,

I put the dial a special number question on the Motorola support site but the only response I got was to try an app called Sanity. Unfortunately, the auto answer function is disabled unless you purchase the paid version. I'm reluctant to purchase because you say the take call action is not available in Gingerbread so it shouldn't work in that app either, right? I don't know if I can get a test accomplished within the 15 minute time frame. I would buy it if I knew it would work. The Sanity developer has not responded to my email.

Can you post this on the Android developer site, or is it not important enough? Either to allow the action to work as it did pre-gingerbread or allow setting the option in call settings.

Thanks, Brad

Pent

Jun 12, 2011, 11:57:16 AM6/12/11
to Tasker
> reluctant to purchase because you say the take call action is not available
> in Gingerbread so it shouldn't work in that app either, right?

Who knows, maybe they found a way around it.

> Can you post this on the Android developer site, or is it not important
> enough? Either to allow the action to work as it did pre-gingerbread or
> allow setting the option in call settings.

They didn't take it out by accident. In my experience they're also not
interested in requests of that nature. If they think something
shouldn't be possible, they don't listen to alternative views, sorry.

Pent

Jeff

Jul 15, 2011, 12:43:56 AM7/15/11
to Tasker
Sorry to hop in on this discussion, but I'm not sure what BossMan
meant when he said it was a "system only" permission. Would it be
possible to get around this by making Tasker a system app; i.e.
installing and running it from the /system partition? I'm not
suggesting this as a general change in the app, just a way to let me
autoanswer certain calls.

-J

Corey Z

Aug 6, 2011, 11:26:41 AM8/6/11
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I'm the dev for Secure Settings. It's a Tasker plugin which allows rooted users access to "system only" functionality (toggling ADB, pattern lock and input methods) by virtue of installing a helper application into the system partition.

I would be willing to implement this if the functionality is regained when running the app as a system application.

Please let me know if I can help.

-Corey

sayling

Oct 27, 2011, 2:53:55 PM10/27/11
to tas...@googlegroups.com
There is an option in the stock UI to auto-answer calls when connected to a bluetooth headset - at least there is on my 2.3.4 SGS2

sayling

Oct 27, 2011, 3:07:01 PM10/27/11
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Oops... 2.3.3 - go to Settings, Calls, Automatic call answering and ending.

You can then select the delay time before answering.

Just noticed it says headsets, so may work with wired and bluetooth :)

maa...@msn.com

Jan 7, 2012, 4:33:19 AM1/7/12
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I have noticed the auto answer call setting on my droid x  2.3.3 and have tried testing it. It no longer works.  I've began using an app called handsfree. This app automatically answers the call if you have a wired headset or bluetooth device. It's free too so that's a plus.