Psychic abilities

Tom

May 13, 2008, 1:27:30 PM5/13/08
I've been thinking recently about psychics. The Course states, more
or less, that psychic abilities are natural communication abilities,
and that all joining is the joining of minds.

It seems to me that becoming comfortable with, if not necessarily
proficient at, what would usually be considered as psychic forms of
communication would be a useful gateway to miracles.

I'm wondering if it is possible to be comfortable with miraculous
expressions if one is, at the same time, fearful of psychic forms of
communication.

Many forms of religion teach that psychic communications are dangerous
and of the devil. Many other forms of modern thinking teach that
psychic communications are impossible and irrational. Perhaps it is a
concerted ego attempt to deflect attention form the genuinely
important.

T. Fox

neo

May 13, 2008, 1:55:26 PM5/13/08

I predict that sun will rise tommorrow also (I will spell tomorrow the
way I want).

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.cricket/browse_thread/thread/57ed9532268eaa1e

I predict that value of pi is 3.1547005383...

Keep firing in darkness. Some bullet will hit the target and that
makes you nostradamus!

Gene

May 13, 2008, 1:59:42 PM5/13/08
Tom <tom...@gmail.com> wrote in news:09a31f55-5686-453a-8cb0-
335a36...@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

> I'm wondering if it is possible to be comfortable with
miraculous
> expressions if one is, at the same time, fearful of psychic
forms of
> communication.

Since a miracle is a psychic communication, I don't see how.

Found in the HLC but not (sub)Ur, there is this:

"The reason people are afraid of ESP and so often react against
it is because they KNOW that thoughts can hurt them. Their own
thoughts have made them vulnerable."

If you are afraid the power of thought, being a "a very
powerful receiving and sending channel" will lead to fear. And
yet that is what we are asked to be.

I know for myself that the unusual experiences of my life have
mostly been ones suggestive of my being an unusually powerful
sender. When people pick up on fearful thoughts that's not so
good, but if I was afraid of the idea I don't think I could
accomplish the reason I came here (too early) at all. When I
was very young-4 or 5-I was intrigued by the idea of changing
the way people thought by some kind of projection of images,
which is part of why I think that's what I'm here to do.

Tom

May 13, 2008, 2:21:06 PM5/13/08
Gene " . . . . I was intrigued by the idea of changing the way people

thought by some kind of projection of images, which is part of why I
think that's what I'm here to do."

~ That makes sense to me, Gene. Do you think that some people are
better suited or more talented at extending influence or receiving
influence, and that's just the way it is. Or, do influencing and
being influenced go hand-in-hand in some measure of balance?

~ I'm thinking of the passage that goes sorta like: You have more to
learn than to teach for now, and then you will reach a balance between
the two.

T. Fox

Robin

May 13, 2008, 2:26:10 PM5/13/08
On May 13, 12:59 pm, Gene <g...@chewbacca.org> wrote:
> Tom <tomw...@gmail.com> wrote in news:09a31f55-5686-453a-8cb0-
> 335a36cb5...@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

That sounds reasonable to me Gene, I see my thoughts of Love as
pictures
and my errors as well. I can't see any reason why these pictures would
stay
within my head, in fact I'm sure they exist in the field of energy
that I really am.

'There are NO private thoughts...'

Gene

May 13, 2008, 2:30:01 PM5/13/08
Tom <tom...@gmail.com> wrote in news:fcba934d-e2d9-40b7-944a-
84f52f...@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

> ~ That makes sense to me, Gene. Do you think that some
people are
> better suited or more talented at extending influence or
receiving
> influence, and that's just the way it is. Or, do influencing
and
> being influenced go hand-in-hand in some measure of balance?

I think they are different developments to some extent. At
least, I've very often seen evidence I was projecting thought,
but less often picking thought up. But perhaps there is a
balance which gets set in some other way.

Here's another nice quote:

"The miracle worker is one who accepts my kind of denial and
projection, unites his own inherent abilities to deny and
project with mine, and imposes them back on himself and others.
This establishes the total lack of threat anywhere. Together we
can then work."

Your abilities denying and projecting, developed to protect the
ego, can it seems be put to another use.

Gene

May 13, 2008, 2:46:40 PM5/13/08
Robin <mirac...@gmail.com> wrote in news:c9321532-3f8c-4fb1-
9037-494...@h1g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

> 'There are NO private thoughts...'

When total strangers come up to you or write you to tell you
you've been in their dreams, that certainly looks to be true.

Katie

May 14, 2008, 3:48:19 PM5/14/08

"Gene" <ge...@chewbacca.org> wrote in message

> I know for myself that the unusual experiences of my life have
> mostly been ones suggestive of my being an unusually powerful
> sender.

It's true too! I can smell those moldy pizza boxes from all the way over here!!

>When people pick up on fearful thoughts that's not so
> good, but if I was afraid of the idea I don't think I could
> accomplish the reason I came here (too early) at all.

Oh, but your Special Specialness is right on time!!

>When I
> was very young-4 or 5-I was intrigued by the idea of changing
> the way people thought by some kind of projection of images,
> which is part of why I think that's what I'm here to do.

And there's a surprise!! An ACIMhole still invested in early childhood delusions of Specialness
and Importance!! The childish arrogance is pathetic!

Those authors sure did know their target market!

Pieter

May 13, 2008, 4:34:25 PM5/13/08

"Tom" <tom...@gmail.com> schreef in bericht

> I've been thinking recently about psychics. The Course states, more
> or less, that psychic abilities are natural communication abilities,
> and that all joining is the joining of minds.
>
> It seems to me that becoming comfortable with, if not necessarily
> proficient at, what would usually be considered as psychic forms of
> communication would be a useful gateway to miracles.
>
> I'm wondering if it is possible to be comfortable with miraculous
> expressions if one is, at the same time, fearful of psychic forms of
> communication.

Since there are no private thoughts,
I have to realize that the nature of the
thoughts I have about others is known
to them, probably not consciously, but
surely at an unconscious level. If my
thoughts are hostile, then I separate myself
from those others *and* from my own
true nature; if they are loving, then I can
awaken to their and my own reality.

MikeRyder

May 13, 2008, 4:33:44 PM5/13/08
On Tue, 13 May 2008 10:27:30 -0700 (PDT), Tom <tom...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I like this.

Tom

May 13, 2008, 9:58:27 PM5/13/08
On May 13, 3:34 pm, "Pieter" <hrdou...@zonnet.nl> wrote:
> "Tom" <tomw...@gmail.com> schreef in berichtnews:09a31f55-5686-453a...@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

Pieter: "Since there are no private thoughts,

I have to realize that the nature of the
thoughts I have about others is known
to them, probably not consciously, but
surely at an unconscious level. If my
thoughts are hostile, then I separate myself
from those others *and* from my own
true nature; if they are loving, then I can
awaken to their and my own reality."

Even cats, dogs, 'possums, raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks, mice,
birds, and a variety of insects can sense if you are hostile or not.
And plants, too. I was thinking of something more substantive and at
the same time more subtle. Let's say, packed with more information.

T. Fox

Robin

May 14, 2008, 12:01:59 AM5/14/08

The Atonement?

Tom

May 14, 2008, 8:09:12 AM5/14/08

> > Even cats, dogs, 'possums, raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks, mice,
> > birds, and a variety of insects can sense if you are hostile or not.
> > And plants, too. I was thinking of something more substantive and at
> > the same time more subtle. Let's say, packed with more > >> >> >> >information.

Robin "The Atonement?"

Yes, exactly . . . the Atonement. A "wow, I could have had a V-8"
moment. Bugs and fish included.

T. Fox

Tom

May 14, 2008, 7:31:28 PM5/14/08
Gene "I think they are different developments to some extent. At

least, I've very often seen evidence I was projecting thought,
but less often picking thought up. But perhaps there is a
balance which gets set in some other way. Here's another nice
quote . . . . "

~ It took me a bit to find it, but here is a quote I've been thinking
about:

". . . . it is necessary that you have other experiences, more in line
with truth, to teach you what IS natural and true. This is the
function of your holy relationship. For what one thinks the other will
experience with him. What can this mean EXCEPT your minds are one?
Look not with fear upon this happy fact, and think not that it lays a
heavy burden on you. For when you have accepted it with gladness, you
will realize that your relationship is a reflection of the union of
the Creator and His Son. From loving minds there IS no separation."

MikeRyder

May 14, 2008, 8:15:29 PM5/14/08
On Wed, 14 May 2008 16:31:28 -0700 (PDT), Tom <tom...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Gene "I think they are different developments to some extent. At

There is another thing as well. Metaphysical experiences are fun. They
add a certain enchantment to life.

Tom

May 14, 2008, 8:40:23 PM5/14/08
Mike "There is another thing as well. Metaphysical experiences are

fun. They add a certain enchantment to life."

I agree. They are fun, at least until they become ordinary. But to
many there is a fear of the experiences that block them. As I
mentioned in my first post, the teaching of the world reinforces this
fear.

Are there any talented psychics reading this post? ACIM tutored and
informed psychics?

T. Fox

Robin

May 14, 2008, 9:51:55 PM5/14/08

Asking for Light is a metaphysical experience that never becomes
ordinary...

Tom

May 15, 2008, 7:31:05 AM5/15/08
Robin "Asking for Light is a metaphysical experience that never
becomes ordinary..."

Perhaps that is why many psychics are marketed as being "for
entertainment purposes only."

T. Fox

Tom

May 15, 2008, 7:56:26 AM5/15/08
"Are there any talented psychics reading this post? ACIM tutored and
informed psychics? "

~ Well, then, how about any half-assed psychics? Anyone who ever had a
strong hunch that panned out?

T. Fox

mr bill

May 15, 2008, 10:14:05 AM5/15/08
yes

--

in loving memory
elizabeth nicole

http://www.myspace.com/mrbill069
http://blog.myspace.com/mrbill069

http://www.myspace.com/elizabethwagonerforever10
http://www.myspace.com/lindsaywagoner

"Tom" <tom...@gmail.com> wrote in message

gig

May 15, 2008, 10:20:47 AM5/15/08
I had a hunch you'd say that.

"mr bill" <mrbi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Tom

May 15, 2008, 10:28:27 AM5/15/08
Bill: "yes"

"Yet all who meet will someday meet again, for it is the destiny of
all
relationships to become holy."

T. Fox

Mike

May 15, 2008, 11:01:11 AM5/15/08

So many I can't count them.

Jeanette

May 15, 2008, 11:19:52 AM5/15/08
Mike,

"So many I can't count them."

Isn't it intriguing how the instruction "there are no private thoughts"
takes hold in new context concerning psychic ability?

Once our thoughts are in alignment with God's, if only for a Moment, what is
happening, what others are thinking, most certainly seems to become quite
clear in our own minds. The Universe becomes apparent. The World
translucent.

As we state in the ER we can see someone walking across the parking lot,
know what the complaint is, how they will behave, what their family will
say, and on. And this isn't meant in disrespect. It is meant to convey that
practice in ability to a certain way of thinking brings you to absolute
psychic ability.

AND, therefore, alignment with God's Thoughts, brings you the same. Psychic
ability extraordinary, to the point whereby you begin to understand your
role in humbleness to your brother's experience, and you KNOW exactly what
to say. The world comes to your feet, you SEE what is real, you KNOW what is
your purpose, and your brother's thoughts and experiences are a journey
without distance, as you share them with the only difference being their
delivery in time.

Jenny

*****
"Mike" <gurus...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Mike

May 15, 2008, 10:19:21 PM5/15/08
On May 14, 7:40 pm, Tom <tomw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Psychic experiences do not, in my experience, ever
become ordinary. When one happens I am just as
bemused by it as I was by the first one. They just
don't lose their pizzazz. And not just bemused by
them. They are a kind of confirmation of spirit. And
it doesn't matter it one is sending or receiving. Both
are uplifting.

Mike

May 15, 2008, 10:19:59 PM5/15/08

That's so hey don't get their little psychic butts sued. :)

Robin

May 15, 2008, 11:27:07 PM5/15/08

LOL

mr bill

May 15, 2008, 11:29:04 PM5/15/08
thank you, tom.
:)

--

in loving memory
elizabeth nicole
always and forever
our baby girl

http://www.myspace.com/mrbill069
http://blog.myspace.com/mrbill069

http://www.myspace.com/elizabethwagonerforever10
http://www.myspace.com/lindsaywagoner

"Tom" <tom...@gmail.com> wrote in message

maz

May 16, 2008, 4:39:10 AM5/16/08

Several people ferquently call me on the phone
asking questions for my Guide/s to answer.
They don't answer medical questions though.
I am happy that everytime they report back,
the info was useful. They urged me to work
for a professional spiritual helpdesk. We''ll
see how that wil evolve.

maz

Mike

May 16, 2008, 5:50:37 AM5/16/08

Well, without being too cynical, most questions
come down to this:
1. When will I win the lottery; and,
2. When will he leave his wife?

:)

maz

May 16, 2008, 6:05:51 AM5/16/08
>   :)-

Not the one I am asked to have answered.
Whta's your experience with " most questions" ?

best, maz

Mike

May 16, 2008, 6:32:17 AM5/16/08

If you mean what are the answers to the two questions
that I posed above, the answers are 'Never' and 'Never'.

maz

May 16, 2008, 6:42:38 AM5/16/08
>   that I posed above, the answers are 'Never' and 'Never'.-

;-)

Jasmine

May 16, 2008, 12:43:23 PM5/16/08
>   that I posed above, the answers are 'Never' and 'Never'.- Hide quoted text -

hmm, you are incorrect as this friday you are supposed to hit the
jackpot, want your lucky numbers now? found them in a fortune cookie
yesterday...will he leave his wife? hmm, will she leave her husband?
psychic says, She will leave her wife. any other questions?
:)

Mike

May 16, 2008, 1:50:17 PM5/16/08

Wrong. Won't hit jackpot until tomorrow.
Already have numbers.
They wern't married.
Nope.

MikeRyder

May 16, 2008, 5:18:24 PM5/16/08
On Fri, 16 May 2008 10:50:17 -0700 (PDT), Mike <gurus...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Considering the phenominal aspects of your soothesaying powers I am
going to recommend to George Bush that he appoint you the Offical
Goverment Seer at least for the remainder of his term in office. You
couldnt do any worse. lol

Tom

May 19, 2008, 9:03:06 PM5/19/08
Mike "Psychic experiences do not, in my experience, ever become
ordinary."

I don't doubt that has been your personal experience. I know four
professional and talented psychics personally, and they each tell me
that their experience is different from yours. For them psychic
experiences are quite ordinary.

Peace,

T. Fox

Gene

May 19, 2008, 9:45:22 PM5/19/08
Tom <tom...@gmail.com> wrote in news:e5461e62-d1b0-4554-9630-
0501a4...@b64g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

> I know four
> professional and talented psychics personally, and they each
tell me
> that their experience is different from yours.

Huh. Why do you meet so many professional psychics, I wonder?

Tom

May 19, 2008, 9:57:24 PM5/19/08
Gene "Huh. Why do you meet so many professional psychics, I wonder?"

Hang around Unity Church groups, Native American shamanic groups,
Gurdjieff groups, ACIM groups, I Ching study groups, ARE groups,
pagans and firewalkers for 30 years and you will begin to trip over
them.

Peace,

T. Fox

maz

May 20, 2008, 4:19:31 AM5/20/08

:-) generally, inspiring folks to hang out with, Tom.
Actually, I wonder why Jesus both in the Course and God Calling
seems quite cautious with regard to psychic powers.

namazté

Tom

May 20, 2008, 7:26:28 AM5/20/08
Maz "I wonder why Jesus both in the Course and God Calling

seems quite cautious with regard to psychic powers."

I disagree with your premise. A major theme of the Course is about
hearing, seeing, and communicating by means beyond the limits imposed
by the body. What is that if not psychic? The caution, such as it
is, is the same as with any other thing, and that is, "What is it
for?"

Peace,

T. Fox

maz

May 20, 2008, 8:23:45 AM5/20/08

OK, I hear you/r point, however, let me do my homework
understanding the term " psychic" better, and in proper context.
May Jesus uses the term a bit differently.... 'll be back.

> Peace,

and to you, maz
> T. Fox

carrie

May 20, 2008, 9:11:44 AM5/20/08

"Tom" <tom...@gmail.com> wrote in message

There's also the link (about words being necessary) that says we still need
words "for those unable yet to hear in silence". This seems to refer to
psychic/mind communication.

> Peace,
>
> T. Fox

Tom

May 20, 2008, 9:33:48 AM5/20/08
Carrie "There's also the link (about words being necessary) that says

we still need words "for those unable yet to hear in silence". This
seems to refer to psychic/mind communication."

Good point.

"Is the teacher of God, then, to avoid the use of words in his
teaching? No, indeed! There are many who must be reached through
words, being as yet unable to hear in silence. The teacher of God
must, however, learn to use words in a new way."

Manual for Teachers - section 21

Peace,

T. Fox

maz

May 20, 2008, 10:44:22 AM5/20/08
On 20 mei, 13:26, Tom <tomw...@gmail.com> wrote:

MfT: [...] "Psychic" abilities have been used to call upon the devil,
which merely means to strengthen the ego. Yet here is also a great
channel of hope and healing in the Holy Spirit's service. Those who
have developed "psychic" powers have simply let some of the
limitations they laid upon their minds be lifted. It can be but
further limitations they lay upon themselves if they utilize their
increased freedom for greater imprisonment. The Holy Spirit needs
these gifts, and those who offer them to Him and Him alone go with
Christ's gratitude upon their hearts, and His holy sight not far
behind."

GC, February 17 - Psychic Powers ~
Psychic powers are not necessarily Spiritual Powers. Do not seek the
spiritual through material means. Could you but see, it is weighing
beautiful spirit-wings down with earth's mud.
Seek this time as a time of communion with Me -- not as a time to ask
questions and have them answered. And meet Me in Communion. It is soul-
food that I have provided.

Do not expect a perfect Church, but find in a church the means of
coming very near to Me. That alone matters, then the much, that is
husk, falls away. Hold it of no account. Grasp the truth and find Me
-- the true Bread of Life. The lesson of the grain is the lesson of My
Church and Me. The real life is all that matters, the outward Church
is the husk; but the husk was necessary to present a life-grain to
men.

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name,
there am I in the midst of them." Matthew 18:20

Mike

May 20, 2008, 11:18:08 AM5/20/08

One should never become jaded, psychic or otherwise. Perhaps
by ordinary they mean commonplace as opposed to mundane.

Deborah

May 20, 2008, 1:06:06 PM5/20/08
On Tue, 20 May 2008 08:18:08 -0700 (PDT), Mike <gurus...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On May 19, 8:03 pm, Tom <tomw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Or perhaps they mean something different by "psychic experience" than
you mean, Mike. The one genuine psychic I ever met certainly appeared
to find her gift natural. She did nothing to prepare and used no
props such as tarot cards or whatever. The things she told people
about themselves rolled off her tongue llike an everyday conversation.
It was the people she spoke to whose minds got blown. WE certainly
felt she was someone extraordinary.

Deborah (BC)

Mike

May 20, 2008, 1:29:59 PM5/20/08
On May 20, 12:06 pm, Deborah <debo...@dumpetydump.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 May 2008 08:18:08 -0700 (PDT), Mike <gurustom...@yahoo.com>

I know a lot of psychics of varied backgrounds. One has a
Masters in Psychology from Ohio State; others never
graduated from high school. Some use triggers, such as
tarot cards; others, like your friend, just start talking. A
couple look exactly the way one would expect a psychic
to look: colorful, layered clothes, lots of jewelry and baubles
of crystals, elephants, incense and what not sitting around.

At one time or another all of them worked for Joyce Jillson.
They might prefer to think they worked with her. One of
them was a genuine medium. She communicated with the
dead. I would not have believed this if I had not experienced
what she could do first hand.

All of these folks were enthusiastic about their jobs. I never
saw any of them act as if what they were doing was matter
of fact. They felt the responsibility of what they were under
taking. Their way of life as psychics may have seemed
ordinary to them, but they knew that the messages they
were delivering were not ordinary. Because they each
realized that they were merely conduits and receptors for
something higher than themselves.

As far as having a different idea of what a psychic experience
is, I suppose that is possible. I have had a number of
different kinds of psychic experiences that have nothing to
do with giving a 'reading' for someone else. If that is the only
kind of 'psychic experience' I ever had I might find that ordinary,
too. I am pretty sure it would bore me out of my mind. :)

Deborah

May 20, 2008, 1:55:52 PM5/20/08
On Tue, 20 May 2008 10:29:59 -0700 (PDT), Mike <gurus...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On May 20, 12:06 pm, Deborah <debo...@dumpetydump.com> wrote:

I'm not sure I would even want to know what lay in the future for
others, or to be able to know, without them telling me themselves,
what was going on in their lives. I have to process enough
information already, without that. But I have to acknowledge also
that I'm too comfortable with separation to even want to be open to
that. I've never seen anyone ask a psychic what processing all that
extra information is like, but I did see a movie in which Cate
Blanchett played a psychic, it was called "The Gift" and it frankly
looked like a horrible experience. Of course that was Hollywood's
version, but I'd like to ask a psychic what it really is like.

Deborah (BC)

Mike

May 20, 2008, 2:24:12 PM5/20/08
On May 20, 12:55 pm, Deborah <debo...@dumpetydump.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 May 2008 10:29:59 -0700 (PDT), Mike <gurustom...@yahoo.com>

From what I have seen it varies among psychics. Some seem
to give readings without effort, the information just flows from
them. And some seem to labor over it. I know that it can be
draining psychologically and emotionally. Sometimes the
person for whom they are reading can be difficult to read.
And sometimes there is no good news to give. This would
bother me. I'm like you. Just let life unfold.

Gene

May 20, 2008, 2:56:48 PM5/20/08
Deborah <deb...@dumpetydump.com> wrote in

> I've never seen anyone ask a psychic what processing all that
> extra information is like, but I did see a movie in which
Cate
> Blanchett played a psychic, it was called "The Gift" and it
frankly
> looked like a horrible experience. Of course that was
Hollywood's
> version, but I'd like to ask a psychic what it really is
like.

There are a number of books out with life stories of psychics
in them. One of them received electroshock therapy to get her
to stop hearing dead people; mostly however the problems were
less extreme, and sometimes not bad at all.

Another medium, for example, was terrified as a small child
when his dead uncle had a look at him taking a bath. He
apologized later.

carrie

May 20, 2008, 4:48:31 PM5/20/08

"Tom" <tom...@gmail.com> wrote in message

ditto

> T. Fox

urillan

May 20, 2008, 9:04:37 PM5/20/08
On May 20, 2:56 pm, Gene <g...@chewbacca.org> wrote:
> Deborah <debo...@dumpetydump.com> wrote innews:e13634tq3okn97h30...@4ax.com:
>

> There are a number of books out with life stories ofpsychics
> in them. One of them received electroshock therapy to get her
> to stop hearing dead people; mostly however the problems were
> less extreme, and sometimes not bad at all.

Umm.. who would give a normal person electroshock therapy? It's not
referred to as electroconvulsive therapy.

It's given to people suffering diagnosed psychotic states and mania
like schizophrenia. So if they are hearing voices, then they probably
didn't "ask the doctor" for that course of treatment. It was much
more likely the doctors decided that the person was not being helped
by drugs. Odds are 72% that this subject was a woman, probably not a
minority and over 26 years old during the therapy.

If she stopped hearing the voices after the treatment (usually
numerous) which is typically only 68% effective (varies for the
disease) then would you still consider the person as having been
psychic?

Gene

May 20, 2008, 9:31:28 PM5/20/08
urillan <uri...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:071cb4a7-1794-4454-
9ebc-dbf...@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

* Umm.. who would give a normal person electroshock therapy?

Psychic mediums are not typical and in the opinion of many, not
normal.

* It's not

> referred to as electroconvulsive therapy.

I get really, really tired of the endless relabelings in the
mental heath field,

> It's given to people suffering diagnosed psychotic states and
mania
> like schizophrenia. So if they are hearing voices, then they
probably

* didn't "ask the doctor" for that course of treatment.

The medium here was Suzane Northrop, who in the 70s was
referred to a psychiatrist by an acquaintance, also a
psychiatrist, who thought she needed to see one. He recommended
shock, which turned out to be both horrible and useless. Of
course if he's learned about people like Northrop in medical
school, he probably would not have done this, but the
paradigmatic metaphysic must be protected.

> If she stopped hearing the voices after the treatment
(usually
> numerous) which is typically only 68% effective (varies for
the
> disease) then would you still consider the person as having
been
> psychic?

Your question is contrafactual, but no, that's not relevant to
the issue. Northrop has been tested under controlled,
laboratory conditions, and that is relevant.

Tom

May 21, 2008, 11:35:19 AM5/21/08
God Calling, February 17 - Psychic Powers (quote)

"Psychic powers are not necessarily Spiritual Powers. Do not seek the
spiritual through material means."

One of the potential problems with the material in _God Calling_ is
that the "two listeners" were two English women in the 1930's. There
is the distinct possibility that how they understood the word
"psychic" some 70 years ago, in a different time and place, is quite
different from how I understand the word.

Like, for example, how are "psychic powers" equated with "material
means"? It makes no sense to me at all, so I suspect they thought of
"psychic" in a way I simply do not know about.

Peace,

T. Fox

carrie

May 21, 2008, 12:09:37 PM5/21/08

"Tom" <tom...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Wouldn't it all be part of the illusion?
And, if everything that seemed to happen (or might/will happen) really is
all at once, now, it wouldn't seem unusual to "know"
what might happen at some future time. Taping in with the Reality of it all
happenig "now"?
One problem with discussing things like this is, how limited words are to
discribe what one is trying to convey, and then someone else reading/hearing
it and interpreting it through their own perception.
Maybe some things just have to be accepted and not comprehended or
understood by ego mind.

maz

May 21, 2008, 1:22:29 PM5/21/08

"Tom" <tom...@gmail.com> schreef in bericht

> God Calling, February 17 - Psychic Powers (quote)
>
> "Psychic powers are not necessarily Spiritual Powers. Do not seek the
> spiritual through material means."
>
> One of the potential problems with the material in _God Calling_ is
> that the "two listeners" were two English women in the 1930's. There
> is the distinct possibility that how they understood the word
> "psychic" some 70 years ago, in a different time and place, is quite
> different from how I understand the word.

Agreed, that's why I was inquiring too.

> Like, for example, how are "psychic powers" equated with "material
> means"? It makes no sense to me at all, so I suspect they thought of
> "psychic" in a way I simply do not know about.

It seems to me that 'psychic' in GC is pointing to
what is explained as magic in the Course, which in turn
is nicely aligned with the instruction to only rely
on the Holy Spirit in everything, not so much intermediary
agents bare of Holy Spirit's authority.

>psychic = medium, person who can communicate with the spirit world; person
>who has supernatural powers

Overall, I like your assessment of psychic abilities
as a term for unified perception under the Holy Spirit's Guidance.
Thanks, Tom.

maz

> Peace,
>
> T. Fox

carrie

May 21, 2008, 4:10:51 PM5/21/08

"Tom" <tom...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Possibly they thought of it in a more negative way, like witchcraft or "of
the devil".

Mike

May 21, 2008, 7:48:55 PM5/21/08
On May 21, 12:22 pm, "maz" <sonsat...@rocketmail.com> wrote:
> "Tom" <tomw...@gmail.com> schreef in berichtnews:c6f63f9b-a09d-42f0...@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

Maz, let me give you an example of what I call a psychic
experience. On April 28 I dreamed that I was flying across
the sky in a red bi-plane. While riding in the plane I was
looking at a pamphlet of an airplane, and I realized that it
was a picture of the plane in which I was riding. The plane
flew low over a city that had been destroyed. Roofs were
ripped off of buildings; some buildings had been completely
destroyed. I thought to myself that I didn't realize that the
damage had been this bad. I thought that a tornado had
destroyed the city.

A few days later I decided to look up a city on Google Earth,
a city in China that was home to an American expat who wrote
a China blog that I read. I wanted to see what the city looked
like. So, I entered the name of the city into google and when
the city was found I zoomed in. Just north of the city was one
of those little orange information pinpoints. I clicked on it and
to my surprise it was a picture of a red bi-plane! I read about
the plane. It was designated Y-5, had been invented by the
Russians and licensed to China and Poland to manufacture. The
plane is almost 60 years old, but it is still under manufacture.
In China. My little coincidence of dreaming about a red bi-plane
and then finding it seemingly arbitrarily amused me. This kind
of thing has happened to me a lot.

And then I read about the 7.9 earthquake in China, Sichuan
Province. The city I had googled was Chengdu, China, and
it was close to the epicenter of the earthquake that killed
50,000 people. I have since seen pictures of the devastation,
and that is exactly what I saw in my dream.

That was a psychic experience. It was uninvited, unexpected
and dead on accurate. No magic. It just happened.

Tom

May 21, 2008, 8:00:34 PM5/21/08
Mike "That was a psychic experience. It was uninvited, unexpected and

dead on accurate. No magic. It just happened."

I would also classify that as a psychic experience. The thing is,
those types of experiences are meaningful only in retrospect. I guess
it just seemed like any dream until you noticed the correspondence
with waking events.

If you had not looked at Google Earth would it have been less a
psychic experience?

Peace,

T. Fox

george

May 21, 2008, 8:07:38 PM5/21/08
>   and dead on accurate.  No magic.  It just happened.- Hide quoted text -

That awesome! Thanks for sharing Mike.

Gene

May 21, 2008, 8:20:15 PM5/21/08
Tom <tom...@gmail.com> wrote in news:da044a11-7a67-4e2e-bf0a-
b75367...@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com:

> Mike "That was a psychic experience. It was uninvited,
unexpected and
> dead on accurate. No magic. It just happened."
>

> I would also classify that as a psychic experience. The
thing is,
> those types of experiences are meaningful only in retrospect.
I guess
> it just seemed like any dream until you noticed the
correspondence
> with waking events.

It can be an usual experience and still not interpretable until
after the fact. A half day before the Loma Prieta (World
Series) quake, I felt some kind of information zip into my mind
with a kind of snap. I started crying, and then praying God
have mercy, and so forth. Then I stopped because I didn't have
a conscious clue what I was praying about.

During the quake, I felt relief that it wasn't worse.

Mike

May 21, 2008, 8:22:13 PM5/21/08

It would have still been a psychic experience, but I would
not have been aware that I had had it. However, I have had
many other precognitive dreams that I did recognize
for what they were. But, as you say, many others are
not recognized for what they are until after the fact.
So it goes.

carrie

May 21, 2008, 9:31:14 PM5/21/08

"Mike" <gurus...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

The course says "time" doesn't flow in a line the way our minds perceive
it, but everything is really happening now, all at the same time. Thus, it
would make sense for some, or sometimes this would break through and seem
like "seeing the future".
Like remembering the past. Remembering the future? That we think hasn't
arrived yet, but is actually happening now.

carrie

May 21, 2008, 9:33:27 PM5/21/08

> Mike "That was a psychic experience. It was uninvited, unexpected and
> dead on accurate. No magic. It just happened."
>

> I would also classify that as a psychic experience. The thing is,
> those types of experiences are meaningful only in retrospect

Key point. If the experience isn't verified, doesn't happen it wouldn't
be noticed.
I've read books about developing psychic "talents" and one step is to be
aware of everything that happens like that (knowing something ahead of time
and verifying it) and focusing on this. Otherwise, it might happen more
often, but not be noticed. It could even be happening all the time (the
knowing things in intuitive ways)

maz

May 22, 2008, 8:07:24 AM5/22/08
On 22 mei, 02:20, Gene <g...@chewbacca.org> wrote:
> Tom <tomw...@gmail.com> wrote in news:da044a11-7a67-4e2e-bf0a-
> b753673e3...@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com:

Gene, this paralell with Mike's account is remarkable.
To be honest, if we are all interconnected in a divine
matrix, iow the Atonement movement on this planet,
and members are voluntarily chosen to pray for certain
occurences or turbulences, why - as in your case-
the missing piece of information. I guess if you had known
this prayer is to the benefit of many you wouldn't
have disrupted it prematurely. Correct?

thanks, maz

Gene

May 22, 2008, 8:16:07 AM5/22/08
On May 22, 4:07 am, maz <m...@solcon.nl> wrote:

> I guess if you had known
> this prayer is to the benefit of many you wouldn't
> have disrupted it prematurely. Correct?

Should something like that happen again I would be more certain it all
was about something.

carrie

May 22, 2008, 8:33:14 AM5/22/08

"Gene" <genewa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

And don't what?

Billy

May 23, 2008, 10:35:35 PM5/23/08

~ Hi Tom

~ Maybe the line, "Do not seek the spiritual through material means",
was referring to the practice of receiving "psychic" information from
the reading of Tarot cards, tea leaves, etc.?

~Hope you and Carmen are well