#Huckleberry supporters get anonymous threat letters

3900 Dead

Jan 2, 2008, 9:54:30 PM1/2/08

http://www.rawstory.com/news/mochila/Huckabee_supporters_get_warning_let_01022008.html

Huckabee supporters get warning letters

Ministers Who Support Huckabee Receive Anonymous Warning Letters

NAFEESA SYEED
AP News

Jan 02, 2008 19:42 EST

Iowa pastors who support Republican Mike Huckabee for president have
received letters warning them that getting involved in politics could
endanger the tax-exempt status of their churches.

Several pastors who have publicly backed Huckabee, a Southern Baptist
minister who has support from many evangelicals, said they have
received the letters, which have no return address. They have arrived
in the weeks leading to Thursday's precinct caucuses.

Two letters were sent to the Rev. Brad Sherman, of Solid Rock
Christian Church in Coralville. The first arrived a couple weeks ago
and warned that he could be prosecuted for his support of Huckabee.

"I just laughed. No one lands in jail for this," Sherman said.
"Somebody is trying to intimidate Christians from getting involved."

A second letter came Wednesday. It alleged that the Internal Revenue
Service is looking for churches that back candidates in violation of
tax rules and mentioned Iowa Sen. Charles Grassley, a Republican who
has sought information about spending by high-profile ministries.

The Rev. Kevin Hollinger, of First Baptist Church in Algona, has
received three similar letters. Although Hollinger has endorsed
Huckabee, he hasn't urged his congregation to support a particular
candidate.

"I just encourage people to get out and vote and use their biblical
principles," Hollinger said. "I don't tell people who to vote for."

Hollinger said he doubted the letters would intimidate anyone.

The Rev. Rex Deckard has received nine letters, including three on
Wednesday.

Deckard, of Calvary Apostolic Church in Des Moines, said he wondered
about the motive of the letter writers and assumed they must think
pastors are ignorant of the rules regarding church involvement in
politics. Regardless, he said the letters won't change his intention
of caucusing for Huckabee.

"I'm very impressed with him as a person and I think he's a tremendous
individual," Deckard said.

Jim Harris, a Huckabee spokesman in Little Rock, Ark., said the
campaign was aware of the letters but did not know how many pastors
have received them or whether they were just being sent in Iowa.

"We are gathering more information even as we speak," Harris said. "I
would not rule out that we would ask for a criminal investigation, and
people who would send such threatening letters to ministers for purely
political purposes are cowardly and reek of desperation."

--
"Now, by the way, any time you hear the United States government
talking
-George W. Bush, April 20, 2004

Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!
Pay your taxes so the rich don't have to.

http://www.zeppscommentaries.com
For news feed, http://yahoogroups/subscribe/zepps_news
For essays (please contribute!)
http:yahoogroups/subscribe/zepps_essays

--

What do you call a Republican with a conscience?

An ex-Republican.

http://www.balloon-juice.com/?p=8827 (From Yang, AthD (h.c)

"I simply can not believe this is what the Republican party has
become. I just can’t. It just makes me sick to think all those years
of supporting this party, and this is what it has become. Even if you
don’t like the S-Chip expansion, it is hard to deny what Republicans
are- a bunch of bitter, nasty, petty, snarling, sneering, vicious
thugs, peering through people’s windows so they can make fun of their
misfortune.

I’m registering Independent tomorrow."

Putsch: leading America to asymetric warfare since 2001

Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!
Pay your taxes so the rich don't have to.
For the finest in liberal/leftist commentary,
http://www.zeppscommentaries.com
For news feed (free, 10-20 articles a day)
Zepps_News...@yahoogroups.com
For essays (donations accepted, 2 articles/week)
Zepps_essay...@yahoogroups.com
a.a. #2211 -- Bryan Zepp Jamieson

nob...@nowhere.com

Jan 3, 2008, 6:51:53 AM1/3/08
On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 02:54:30 GMT, 3900 Dead
<zepp22...@finestplanet.com> wrote:

>http://www.rawstory.com/news/mochila/Huckabee_supporters_get_warning_let_01022008.html
>
>Huckabee supporters get warning letters
>
>Ministers Who Support Huckabee Receive Anonymous Warning Letters
>
>NAFEESA SYEED
>AP News
>
>Jan 02, 2008 19:42 EST
>
>Iowa pastors who support Republican Mike Huckabee for president have
>received letters warning them that getting involved in politics could
>endanger the tax-exempt status of their churches.

They probably came from ranting leftie loons like Zippy....