CIA Planned to 'Rendition' Suspects in Germany: Report

Gandalf Grey

Jan 11, 2010, 2:33:24 PM1/11/10
Published on Monday, January 11, 2010 by Agence France Presse

CIA Planned to 'Rendition' Suspects in Germany: Report

BERLIN - The CIA had 25 agents in Germany after the September 11 attacks and
planned to "rendition" illegally al-Qaeda suspects without informing the
German government, Spiegel magazine reported Sunday.

"It was about grabbing people without the Germans knowing about it," the
German weekly magazine cited an unnamed former CIA agent as saying. "We were
planning stuff that was totally illegal."

The plan went so far that other parts of the Central Intelligence Agency
were in the loop, but in the end it was scrapped because of objections by
the agency's German section, Spiegel cited its source as saying.

"We said 'no' because we were of the opinion that you just couldn't do a
thing like that in a friendly country where there were so many US soldiers
based," the source is cited as saying.

The claim follows a Vanity Fair magazine report that the US spy agency
intended to "find, fix and finish" an al-Qaeda suspect in Hamburg, where
several of those involved in the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United
States formed an Islamist cell.

Vanity Fair said that the CIA team was sent to assassinate Mamun Darkanzali,
a Syrian-born German believed at the time to have known at least three of
the hijackers, but in the end Washington pulled the plug.

Darkanzali was detained by German authorities in 2004 but prosecutors
dropped their investigation in 2006, saying that although he had served as a
contact for several Al-Qaeda members, he could not be considered a member.

Spiegel, however, cited its source as denying there was any such plan,
saying: "That would have been completely impossible in a country like
Germany."

The "extraordinary rendition" programme was set up by the administration of
then president George W. Bush after the attacks that killed nearly 3,000
people. It involved the transfer of "war on terror" suspects by the CIA to
countries known to practise torture.

In November, an Italian court convicted in absentia 23 US secret agents for
the CIA's kidnapping of an Egyptian cleric in 2003, including the CIA's
Milan station chief at the time, Robert Seldon Lady.

One of those convicted, Sabrina DeSousa, said after the trial that she
"broke the law" but that everything she did was "approved back in
Washington."

� 2010 AFP

--
NOTICE: This post contains copyrighted material the use of which has not
always been authorized by the copyright owner. I am making such material

"Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike,
that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans--born in
this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud
of our ancient heritage--and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing
of those human rights to which this nation has always been committed, and to
which we are committed today at home and around the world.
"
-John F. Kennedy, 1961