= X = (The Movie) Please take Wednesday (18th) off...

General Boycott

Nov 17, 1992, 4:35:00 PM11/17/92

{ Subj: = X = (The Movie) Please take Wednesday (18th) off... }

Skip work or school. Take a sick day. Take part of the day off.
Cut out early. Take a long lunch. Come in late ...whatever works for ya.

..whether you go see the movie or not.

Any of the following reasons will do:

1. Because you need a good excuse.
2. To actually go see the movie.
3. Out of respect.
4. To show solidarity.
5. One day less work/school,
is one less day of major industrial and commuting pollution.
6. To hide because it won't be safe on the streets.
7. To protest the movie (though you haven't seen it).
8. Put money in the local economy rather than corporate coffers.
9. Because someone asked you to. ("Ask and it shall be given...")

And my favorite:

10. To worry the Government.

Did I leave anyone out?

Phydeaux

Nov 17, 1992, 6:06:08 PM11/17/92
In article <17NOV199...@utarlg.uta.edu> b64...@utarlg.uta.edu (General Boycott) writes:
>{ Subj: = X = (The Movie) Please take Wednesday (18th) off... }
>
>Skip work or school. Take a sick day. Take part of the day off.
>Cut out early. Take a long lunch. Come in late ...whatever works for ya.

No, don't do any of this. Go about your business as usual, save your
money and don't give it to the producers of this hyped-up movie. If
you're going to make a movie about someone why leave out most all
negative aspects of the person?

>Any of the following reasons will do:

[list deleted]

>10. To worry the Government.

Now *that* is a good reason!!!
reb

Stupendous Man

Nov 18, 1992, 1:57:15 PM11/18/92
In article <17NOV199...@utarlg.uta.edu>, b64...@utarlg.uta.edu (General Boycott) writes:

> { Subj: = X = (The Movie) Please take Wednesday (18th) off... }
>
> Skip work or school. Take a sick day. Take part of the day off.
> Cut out early. Take a long lunch. Come in late ...whatever works for ya.

Mmmmm, no.

> ..whether you go see the movie or not.

Not.

> Did I leave anyone out?

Those of us who think Spike is an ass because of the way he exploits
his race for personal gain.
Anyone else disgusted by the way he shafted the family of Malcolm X
(only giving them part of th proceeds from X after they sued) and trying to
rationalize it by saying (ala Sister Souljah) he can't possibly be exploiting
anyone because he is black?

Boycott X merchandise.

Brett
80s: 18 million new jobs, deficits down (%GNP), tax rates down, tax revenues up
GNP up, inflation down, unemployment down, interest rates down, cold war won

General Boycott

Nov 19, 1992, 8:33:00 PM11/19/92
In article <1992Nov18....@desire.wright.edu>,
>de...@desire.wright.edu (Stupendous Man) writes...

>In article <17NOV199...@utarlg.uta.edu>,
>>b64...@utarlg.uta.edu (General Boycott) writes:
>>
>> { Subj: = X = (The Movie) Please take Wednesday (18th) off... }
>>
>> Skip work or school. Take a sick day. Take part of the day off.
>> Cut out early. Take a long lunch. Come in late ...whatever works for ya.
>
> Mmmmm, no.

Tempting, eh? It's not too late.

>> ..whether you go see the movie or not.
>
> Not.

I didn't either, but I'll probably read X's autobio
when I can check it out of the library. Better yet,
I think I'll stick up a notice at the University.
Someone's bound to have a copy I can borrow.

>> Did I leave anyone out?
>
> Those of us who think Spike is an ass because of the way he exploits
>his race for personal gain.

Ooops. Sorry. Hadn't thought of that.

I'm interested in reading more about Lee though. It's certainly plausible
that he's no better than the rest of the entertainment-pushers in LA and NYC.

{ ...make that `entertainment-pushing-scum.' You already know my bias. }

Can anyone suggest some fair, unbiased articles re: Mr. Lee?

> Anyone else disgusted by the way he shafted the family of Malcolm X
>(only giving them part of th proceeds from X after they sued) and trying to
>rationalize it by saying (ala Sister Souljah) he can't possibly be exploiting
>anyone because he is black?

> Boycott X merchandise.

>Brett

Makes sense to me, for national commercial products. Seems better
to make your own instead, and sell it or give it away local.

No reason to give money to the Fat-Cats who control the entertainment industry?
( ...or the extra taxes to local and federal gooberment.)

{ ...and someone reading is going: }
{ }
{ "Yeah I'll have to ask <the Talk Show DJ> about that" }

-- Stephen " Does anyone know of an Electronics-Anonymous NewsGroup? "
" I wanta learn to dance the 12-step. (hmm... soc.e-anon) "

galsci!mpearce

Nov 20, 1992, 2:05:49 PM11/20/92
de...@desire.wright.edu (Stupendous Man) writes:

> Those of us who think Spike is an ass because of the way he exploits
> his race for personal gain.
> Anyone else disgusted by the way he shafted the family of Malcolm X
> (only giving them part of th proceeds from X after they sued) and trying to
> rationalize it by saying (ala Sister Souljah) he can't possibly be exploiting
> anyone because he is black?

> Brett

In what way is Lee exploiting "his race?" Because he made a semi-historical
movie about a black leader? Thus Woody Allen is an exploiter because he
draws a mostly white audience. And all musicians exploit their audiences by
selling T-shirts at ridiculous markups. Wake up, you are living in a
consumer society, even if you don't like it.

Dr. Shabazz's trademark on "X" is just silly. It's one thing to protect an
investment in making a name for a product, and another thing to make money
from dead relatives. Do the families of JFK and MLK have similar programs?

-----------
Mike Pearce, Knowledge/Interface/ToolBook Engineer
Galaxy Scientific Corp., Information Division, Atlanta GA
(404) 491-1100 or mpe...@galsci.uucp

Steve Lamont

Nov 22, 1992, 12:24:43 PM11/22/92
In article <17NOV199...@utarlg.uta.edu> b64...@utarlg.uta.edu (General Boycott) writes:

>{ Subj: = X = (The Movie) Please take Wednesday (18th) off... }
>
>Skip work or school. Take a sick day. Take part of the day off.
>Cut out early. Take a long lunch. Come in late ...whatever works for ya.
>
>..whether you go see the movie or not.
>
>Any of the following reasons will do:
>
>1. Because you need a good excuse.
> [...]

>And my favorite:
>
>10. To worry the Government.
>
>Did I leave anyone out?

Yeah:

11. To make Spike Lee rich.

spl

--
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- (619) 534-7968 -- s...@szechuan.ucsd.edu
UCSD Microscopy and Imaging Resource/UCSD Med School/La Jolla, CA 92093-0608