Our cultural divide

Doug Olson

Nov 8, 2004, 5:16:45 PM11/8/04
I've read a lot in the last week about our nation's various cultural
divides -- north/south, coastal/heartland, urban/rural,
secular/evangelical. But one of our most important divides evidenced
in the last presidential election is surely:

Kerry won 16 of the 20 states (counting DC) with the greatest
percentage of college graduates.

Bush won 19 of the 20 with the fewest, including all of the bottom 16.

The middle 11 broke: 8 for Bush, 3 for Kerry.

To the extent that Bush won by appealing to the culture of the
uneducated, one might reasonably argue that our country is moving
backwards.

Notes:
Percentage of college graduates is percent of persons 25 years and
older with at least a bachelor's degree
Education data from the 2000 Census at:
http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/c2kbr-24.pdf

Scott Marquardt

Nov 8, 2004, 6:27:38 PM11/8/04
Doug Olson opined thusly on Nov 8:

It's worth correlating with other data. For example, how well do these
educated people do in educating their own children. Or, at any rate, the
children who end up in their state's public schools. ;-)

http://snipurl.com/ahuz

--

Scott

Avanti_Ken

Nov 8, 2004, 7:54:59 PM11/8/04
This is a much to simplistic analysis to say that the "dumbest" folks voted
for Bush thus
Republicans are dumb. An old Liberal Democrat "were better than you"
cliche.

Take Florida for example. A very fast growing state because of a large
influx of northerners.
Since 2000, our Electoral Vote count went up from 25 to 27 and there have
been 1,500,000 New Voter registrations.

This year, Bush won FL with a 5% margin - 52% to 47%.

More people with some college, college degree and graduate degree's voted
for Bush than for Kerry.

The greater the education level, the greater the percentage of that groups
vote went for Bush.

Please check it out:
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004//pages/results/states/FL/P/00/epolls.0.html
This is also true for several other fast growing states.

What really happened in FL (Compared to 2000) is that
1.More married women voted for Bush,
2.More Hispanic's voted for Bush,
3.The Republicans had a better New Voter Registration effort and
4.The Republicans had a more aggressive and effective get out the base vote
campaign.
--
Avanti_Ken
=========

"Doug Olson" <dugo...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

James

Nov 8, 2004, 8:36:59 PM11/8/04

"Doug Olson" <dugo...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
> I've read a lot in the last week about our nation's various cultural
> divides -- north/south, coastal/heartland, urban/rural,
> secular/evangelical. But one of our most important divides evidenced
> in the last presidential election is surely:
>
> Kerry won 16 of the 20 states (counting DC) with the greatest
> percentage of college graduates.

LOL yes, I would have done it smarter. I would have done it better. I would

Douglas Olson

Nov 8, 2004, 11:03:51 PM11/8/04
Oops... I didn't realize when I posted this that there had been a thread
about "dumb people" voting for Bush, along with a ridiculous, phony state IQ
chart (Utah 87?; come on...)

These are the 2004 Predential votes and the percent of adults over 25 with
college degrees from the 2000 Census (original source linked below):

B 14.8 WestVirginia
B 16.7 Arkansas
B 16.9 Mississippi
B 17.1 Kentucky
B 18.2 Nevada
B 18.7 Louisiana
B 19.0 Alabama
B 19.4 Indiana
B 19.6 Tennessee
B 20.3 Oklahoma
B 20.4 SouthCarolina
B 21.1 Ohio
B 21.2 Iowa
B 21.5 SouthDakota
B 21.6 Missouri
B 21.7 Idaho
K 21.8 Michigan
B 21.9 Wyoming
B 22.0 NorthDakota
B 22.3 Florida
K 22.4 Pennsylvania
K 22.4 Wisconsin
B 22.5 NorthCarolina
K 22.9 Maine
B 23.2 Texas
B 23.5 Arizona
B 23.5 NewMexico
B 23.7 Nebraska
B 24.3 Georgia
B 24.4 Montana
B 24.7 Alaska
K 25.0 Delaware
K 25.1 Oregon
K 25.6 RhodeIsland
B 25.8 Kansas
K 26.1 Illinois
B 26.1 Utah
K 26.2 Hawaii
K 26.6 California
K 27.4 Minnesota
K 27.4 NewYork
K 27.7 Washington
K 28.7 NewHampshire
K 29.4 Vermont
B 29.5 Virginia
K 29.8 NewJersey
K 31.4 Connecticut
K 31.4 Maryland
B 32.7 Colorado
K 33.2 Massachusetts
K 39.1 DistrictofColumbia

Patriots@yahoo.com All Patriots

Nov 9, 2004, 12:51:44 AM11/9/04

"Douglas Olson" <DUGO...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

> Oops... I didn't realize when I posted this that there had been a thread
> about "dumb people" voting for Bush, along with a ridiculous, phony state
> IQ
> chart (Utah 87?; come on...)
>
> These are the 2004 Predential votes and the percent of adults over 25 with
> college degrees from the 2000 Census (original source linked below):

That just shows that you don't have to have a college degree to vote for the
man with the higher IQ.

Mark Cook

Nov 9, 2004, 11:10:45 AM11/9/04
"Douglas Olson" <DUGO...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
> Oops... I didn't realize when I posted this that there had been a thread
> about "dumb people" voting for Bush, along with a ridiculous, phony state
IQ
> chart (Utah 87?; come on...)

Kerry won the high school drop out vote. Bush won the majority of the high
school grads, some college, and the college grad voters.