Term limits vs. Consecutive Terms

Scott Webster Wood

Jan 29, 2001, 6:13:51 PM1/29/01
I remember once in a Econ class, there was a discussion on-going about the
'velocity of money' - i.e. how fast funds pass through an economic system.
High velocity of money was generally considered a good thing as it showed
consumers within the system were busy exchanging goods, generally resulting
in a healthier system as a whole.

I have since considered this principle when it relates to government office.
Personally, I think that in an ideal world, voters should be able to vote
for whoever they want - and resultingly get what they deserve. But, both in
the spirit of Franklin's "your rights end where my nose begins" as well as
the harsh realities of politics (i.e. corruption, 'SPIN', franking
privileges, etc.) one should not consider the 'real' world as anything close
to 'ideal'.

As a result, one of the conclusions that I came to is that perhaps an
increase in the 'velocity of politicians' within a political system might
have a comparable effect to that which 'velocity of money' has to an
economic system.

Why not, instead of having 'term limits', seek out alternatives that would
instead limit candidates seeking electable offices in government from being
able to run for any one position twice?

I have seen and heard many compelling arguements that espouse the intention
of representative government in this country as encouraging representation
from members of the governed. Meanwhile, what we ended up with is a vast
majority of elected offices (more so apparent when the authority of the
office is greater) being filled by so-called 'career politicians'.

Restricting 'consecutive terms' for any (or some) government offices would
go far to discourage 'career politicians' - or in the least increase the
introduction of new ideas while decreasing the 'entrenchment' of the 'old
guard' style of politicians.

Furthermore, I would suggest on top of such an idea - that the role of
governing officials be restructured as not to facilitate a 'full time job'
(complete with resulting benefits and absorbatent tax-payer-funded salaries
and 'perks') while providing for protections for the elected in much the
same way we honor public service in the military or national guard. (i.e.
job security issues for when terms are complete or for part-time politicians
much as is usually the case on the local level)

Any comments from anyone?

Scott