Burglar shot by 93-year-old victim Wednesday

1 view

edi...@netpath.net

Jul 28, 2007, 12:18:14 PM7/28/07
When you read the below story of a burglar who beat the shit out of
a 93-year-old man Wednesday before that victim critically wounded him
with a handgun, ask yourself what would have happened to that 93-year-
old victim had he NOT been armed.
Willie Hill, 93, of Arkansas was beaten more than 50 times by soda-
can-wielding burglar Douglas Williams Jr. - before Hill regained
consciousness and shot the burglar in the neck, leaving him in
critical condition when he had to be moved to an out-of-state
hospital.
What kind of ammo the old man used wasn't stated in the wire story
- but, if it was a high-performance-brand hollowpoint like Speer Gold
Dot, that burglar's home-invasion career ended this week no matter
what the courts do with him.
From Associated Press, yesterday:
EL DORADO, Ark. (AP) - An elderly man beaten unconscious by an
assailant wielding a soda can awoke and shot the man during an
attempted robbery, police said.
Willie Lee Hill, 93, told police he saw the robber while in his
bedroom Wednesday night. Hill confronted the man and was struck at
least 50 times, police said. He was knocked unconscious.
Covered in blood, Hill regained consciousness a short time later and
pulled a .38-caliber handgun on his attacker. The suspect, Douglas B.
Williams Jr., saw the gun and charged the man, who fired a bullet that
struck Williams in the throat, police said.
"I got what I deserved," Williams, 24, told police when they arrived,
officers said. Investigators reported finding, among other items, a
Craftsman drill bit set, three pocket knives and two hearing aids
inside his pockets.
Paramedics took Hill and Williams to the Medical Center of South
Arkansas for treatment. Doctors sent Williams to the Louisiana State
University Medical Center at Shreveport, where he was listed in
critical condition Friday.
Employees at the Medical Center of South Arkansas refused to give
Hill's condition or say if he'd been discharged from the hospital
Friday, citing medical privacy laws.
Police plan to charge Williams with residential burglary, second-
degree battery, theft of property and theft by receiving.
No $4 parking! No $6 admission! http://www.INTERNET-GUN-SHOW.com

Message has been deleted

Bo Raxo

Jul 29, 2007, 12:50:20 AM7/29/07

<edi...@netpath.net> wrote in message

> When you read the below story of a burglar who beat the shit out of
> a 93-year-old man Wednesday before that victim critically wounded him
> with a handgun, ask yourself what would have happened to that 93-year-
> old victim had he NOT been armed.
> Willie Hill, 93, of Arkansas was beaten more than 50 times by soda-
> can-wielding burglar Douglas Williams Jr. - before Hill regained
> consciousness and shot the burglar in the neck, leaving him in
> critical condition when he had to be moved to an out-of-state
> hospital.
> What kind of ammo the old man used wasn't stated in the wire story
> - but, if it was a high-performance-brand hollowpoint like Speer Gold
> Dot, that burglar's home-invasion career ended this week no matter
> what the courts do with him.
> From Associated Press, yesterday:

If the old guy had an alarm system (or even just signs saying he had one),
or a good steel core door, deadbolt, and steel bars over the windows, he
never would have gotten beaten up in the first place.

Since he got beaten to within an inch of his life, it sounds to me like the
gun wasn't all that effective as a protection strategy. The best crime
protection strategies are crime prevention strategies.

Bo Raxo

edi...@netpath.net

Jul 29, 2007, 7:43:07 AM7/29/07
On Jul 29, 12:50 am, "Bo Raxo" <crimenewscen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If the old guy had an alarm system (or even just signs saying he had one),
> or a good steel core door, deadbolt, and steel bars over the windows, he
> never would have gotten beaten up in the first place.

Steel bars over the windows? Are you saying innocent old Americans
should have to live in prisons they must pay to build in order that
the liberal antigun agenda can "work" at all?

> Since he got beaten to within an inch of his life, it sounds to me like the
> gun wasn't all that effective as a protection strategy.

Bullshit. It's always a COMBINATION of things that work best in
security - like a good "territorial" dog and a gun. The dog deters
intruders - and alerts you that they are trying to get in or inside;
the gun protects both you and the dog.

Bo Raxo

Jul 29, 2007, 8:09:08 AM7/29/07

> On Jul 29, 12:50 am, "Bo Raxo" <crimenewscen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If the old guy had an alarm system (or even just signs saying he had
>> one),
>> or a good steel core door, deadbolt, and steel bars over the windows, he
>> never would have gotten beaten up in the first place.
>
> Steel bars over the windows? Are you saying innocent old Americans
> should have to live in prisons they must pay to build in order that
> the liberal antigun agenda can "work" at all?

No, I'm saying if you're worried about crime there are more effective steps
to take than owning a gun. I rented a place that had steel bars on the
windows. It was a nice three bedroom two bath, hardly a prison at all, but
the landlord thought the ground floor windows merited extra protection.

What isn't working is the right's "war on drugs". Legalize the drugs and
you get rid of most of the burglars, because it's usually somebody feeding a
drug habit that is breaking in to houses.

Apparently you're saying that seniors on fixed incomes should be spending
what few dollars they have on guns, because you want to abandon any hope of
the police protecting them and having them live in more secure conditions.

>> Since he got beaten to within an inch of his life, it sounds to me like
>> the
>> gun wasn't all that effective as a protection strategy.
>
> Bullshit. It's always a COMBINATION of things that work best in
> security - like a good "territorial" dog and a gun. The dog deters
> intruders - and alerts you that they are trying to get in or inside;
> the gun protects both you and the dog.

Let's see: the perp beat the guy in to critical condition and left him for
unconcious. So if you're claiming the gun was effective protection or
deterrence, you're the one that's spouting bullshit.

edi...@netpath.net

Jul 29, 2007, 9:00:43 AM7/29/07
On Jul 29, 8:09 am, "Bo Raxo" <crimenewscen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently you're saying that seniors on fixed incomes should be spending
> what few dollars they have on guns, because you want to abandon any hope of
> the police protecting them and having them live in more secure conditions.

You're saying that seniors on fixed incomes should be spending what
few dollars they have on window bars. You can't put steel bars on all
your windows for the $175 a barely-used S&W .38 Special revolver
retails at.
Yes, it's time to abandon all hope that the police will protect
anyone. Anybody who's dialed 911 and reported a prowler only to have
the cop arrive 40 minutes later knows this reality - and I've had that
experience. Believe me, many if not most street cops now aren't
interested in dangerous calls - and that's why the term "de-policing"
became invented by them.

tiny dancer

Jul 29, 2007, 9:23:43 AM7/29/07

"Bo Raxo" <crimene...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> <edi...@netpath.net> wrote in message
> > When you read the below story of a burglar who beat the shit out of
> > a 93-year-old man Wednesday before that victim critically wounded him
> > with a handgun, ask yourself what would have happened to that 93-year-
> > old victim had he NOT been armed.
> > Willie Hill, 93, of Arkansas was beaten more than 50 times by soda-
> > can-wielding burglar Douglas Williams Jr. - before Hill regained
> > consciousness and shot the burglar in the neck, leaving him in
> > critical condition when he had to be moved to an out-of-state
> > hospital.
> > What kind of ammo the old man used wasn't stated in the wire story
> > - but, if it was a high-performance-brand hollowpoint like Speer Gold
> > Dot, that burglar's home-invasion career ended this week no matter
> > what the courts do with him.
> > From Associated Press, yesterday:
>

> If the old guy had an alarm system (or even just signs saying he had one),
> or a good steel core door, deadbolt, and steel bars over the windows, he
> never would have gotten beaten up in the first place.
>
> Since he got beaten to within an inch of his life, it sounds to me like
the
> gun wasn't all that effective as a protection strategy. The best crime
> protection strategies are crime prevention strategies.
>

> Bo Raxo

This was Arkansas bo, not S.F. or NYC. I'd imagine there's a good chance we
are talking about sub-standard housing to begin with. If it's a landlord
situation, landlords involved in substandard housing don't even spend the
money to make plumbing repairs, let alone any sort of *improvements*. The
old guy is most likely living on a fixed income. The burglar had two
hearing aids found on him, so old guy was also hard of hearing.

Face it, you are out of your element when it comes to rural living or old
people or substandard housing or living in the south where most of the
elderly people own weapons and have for generations.

Steve

Jul 29, 2007, 11:39:29 AM7/29/07

"Bo Raxo" <crimene...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> <edi...@netpath.net> wrote in message
> > When you read the below story of a burglar who beat the shit out of
> > a 93-year-old man Wednesday before that victim critically wounded him
> > with a handgun, ask yourself what would have happened to that 93-year-
> > old victim had he NOT been armed.
> > Willie Hill, 93, of Arkansas was beaten more than 50 times by soda-
> > can-wielding burglar Douglas Williams Jr. - before Hill regained
> > consciousness and shot the burglar in the neck, leaving him in
> > critical condition when he had to be moved to an out-of-state
> > hospital.
> > What kind of ammo the old man used wasn't stated in the wire story
> > - but, if it was a high-performance-brand hollowpoint like Speer Gold
> > Dot, that burglar's home-invasion career ended this week no matter
> > what the courts do with him.
> > From Associated Press, yesterday:
>

> If the old guy had an alarm system

Easily bypassed in 9 out of 10 residential applications due to several very
widspread weaknesses and installer errors.

(or even just signs saying he had one),
> or a good steel core door, deadbolt, and steel bars over the windows, he
> never would have gotten beaten up in the first place.

None of this stuff will stop a burglary and the bars are strictly against
fire code in many places.

> Since he got beaten to within an inch of his life, it sounds to me like
the
> gun wasn't all that effective as a protection strategy. The best crime
> protection strategies are crime prevention strategies.

The gun prevented the continuation of this particular burglars carreer for
the forseeable future.

Steve

Jul 29, 2007, 11:47:30 AM7/29/07

> <edi...@netpath.net> wrote in message
> > On Jul 29, 12:50 am, "Bo Raxo" <crimenewscen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> If the old guy had an alarm system (or even just signs saying he had
> >> one),
> >> or a good steel core door, deadbolt, and steel bars over the windows,
he
> >> never would have gotten beaten up in the first place.
> >
> > Steel bars over the windows? Are you saying innocent old Americans
> > should have to live in prisons they must pay to build in order that
> > the liberal antigun agenda can "work" at all?
> >

> No, I'm saying if you're worried about crime there are more effective
steps
> to take than owning a gun. I rented a place that had steel bars on the
> windows. It was a nice three bedroom two bath, hardly a prison at all,
but
> the landlord thought the ground floor windows merited extra protection.

Probably in direct violation of the local fire codes and does nothing to
protect the front door.

> What isn't working is the right's "war on drugs". Legalize the drugs and
> you get rid of most of the burglars, because it's usually somebody feeding
> drug habit that is breaking in to houses.

I don't think the 93 year old guy here had any direct say over US drug
policy.

> Apparently you're saying that seniors on fixed incomes should be spending
> what few dollars they have on guns, because you want to abandon any hope
of
> the police protecting them and having them live in more secure conditions.

There is virtually no hope of the police protecting them. First they have to
be able to call the police. Then they have to wait for the police to
actually respond. Police investigate crimes that already happened. They
don't prevent them.

> >> Since he got beaten to within an inch of his life, it sounds to me like
> >> the
> >> gun wasn't all that effective as a protection strategy.
> >
> > Bullshit. It's always a COMBINATION of things that work best in
> > security - like a good "territorial" dog and a gun. The dog deters
> > intruders - and alerts you that they are trying to get in or inside;
> > the gun protects both you and the dog.
> >

> Let's see: the perp beat the guy in to critical condition and left him for
> unconcious. So if you're claiming the gun was effective protection or
> deterrence, you're the one that's spouting bullshit.

It prevented him from doing more damage and it prevented him from committing
any more crimes in the near future and that alone is adequate benefit. The
only thing better in that regard is if the perp dies in which case his
criminal career is over for good.

robw

Jul 29, 2007, 12:01:23 PM7/29/07
The point is that there are many alternatives to having a firearm to protect
yourself. We live in the city and have never had the need for a gun.

You gun analogy proves my point.

(by the way, I think the story is bollocks. a 93 year old man "beaten within
an inch of his life" has the wherewithal to shoot a gun? not buying it. it's
another "feel good" gun tale.)

robw

Jul 29, 2007, 12:03:21 PM7/29/07
They can't call the police but they can shoot a gun?

Brilliant.

"Steve" <st...@nospam.net> wrote in message

robw

Jul 29, 2007, 12:05:02 PM7/29/07
If the gun was so effective, why was the man beaten?

"Steve" <st...@nospam.net> wrote in message

Marianna

Jul 29, 2007, 1:10:56 PM7/29/07
On Jul 29, 12:03 pm, "robw" <noddy...@comcast.net> wrote:
> They can't call the police but they can shoot a gun?
>
> Brilliant.

Okay, I'll play. You're 93; someone's just beaten you senseless and
left you for dead. But you wake up, and you have a choice to make in a
very short period of time- let's say 15 seconds. Do you use that 15
seconds to call the cops, which makes noise and alerts the bad guy
that he needs to come finish you off properly (never mind if the phone
lines were cut), or do you use the gun on him? I'd personally pick #2,
and hope that the cops took enough time to respond so that the bad guy
would be really, most sincerely, undeniably unrevivably dead by the
time they got there. If you'd rather sacrifice your life than use a
gun, then more power to you, but I don't get it.

Marianna

robw

Jul 29, 2007, 1:24:52 PM7/29/07
I would need more info.

You say beaten up and left for dead.
Where's the gun? You'd have to make a movement towards the weapon. And since
I've been told that I don't understand the "culture of the South" I do know
a perp that knew there was a gun in the place would move to take it. I have
a million questions.

My basic point is that I don't really believe the story.

"Marianna" <insane...@netzero.net> wrote in message

David Johnston

Jul 29, 2007, 2:50:35 PM7/29/07
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:03:21 -0400, "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>They can't call the police but they can shoot a gun?

They can call police. They just can't wait the average of four or
five minutes for the police to arrive.

Kent Finnell

Jul 29, 2007, 4:22:56 PM7/29/07
"robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

>I would need more info.
>
> You say beaten up and left for dead.
> Where's the gun? You'd have to make a movement towards the weapon. And
> since
> I've been told that I don't understand the "culture of the South" I do
> know
> a perp that knew there was a gun in the place would move to take it. I
> have
> a million questions.
>
> My basic point is that I don't really believe the story.

Then your basic point is both dull and blunt. You just don't know 93 year
old Southern men. They went through the Depression and the Dust Bowl
(Arkansas suffered almost as much as Oklahoma), WWII, the Korean War, the
Bay of Pigs, a presidential assassination, the Viet Nam War, a presidential
resignation, 9/11/01 and dozens of dustups and fuckups in the Middle East.
They tend to be, as a group, tough old birds. They're tough as hide leather
and are descendents of Andy Jackson, Old Hickory.

At 93 my grandfather was still walking his fair sized farm in East Tennessee
not far from Lookout Mountain. He died at 94. A young punk will have to
work hard to put me down with nothing more than his fists and a Coke can.

My revolver is no further away than my waist and while the movement may not
be a special effects blur, when I make it, the target is less than a second
away from possible destruction.

--
Kent Finnell, From the Music City USA

A man on his way to Texas asked an Arkansas store owner if he thought he
would need a gun. "Well," the store owner said, "maybe you will and maybe
you won't, but if you do, you'll need it in a hurry."

Kent Finnell

Jul 29, 2007, 4:24:37 PM7/29/07
"David Johnston" <da...@block.net> wrote in message

Or in rural Arkansas (and some big cities) the 40 minutes to an hours.

David Moffitt

Jul 29, 2007, 4:50:58 PM7/29/07

> The point is that there are many alternatives to having a firearm to
> protect
> yourself. We live in the city and have never had the need for a gun.
>
> You gun analogy proves my point.
>
> (by the way, I think the story is bollocks. a 93 year old man "beaten
> within
> an inch of his life" has the wherewithal to shoot a gun? not buying it.
> it's
> another "feel good" gun tale.)

%%%% Here's a bitch slap across the face for tyou hoplophobe. ":o)

From the Pine Bluff Commercial of July 27, 2007
Police: El Dorado man, 93, shoots robber after beating

An elderly man beaten unconscious by an assailant wielding a soda can

later awoke and shot the man during an attempted robbery, police said.

Willie Lee Hill, 93, told police he saw the robber while in his bedroom

Wednesday night. Hill confronted Douglas B. Williams Jr., 24, of El Dorado,
who struck the elderly man at least 50 times, kknocking him out, police
said.

Hill, covered in blood from the attack, regained consciousness and pulled
a .38-caliber handgun on Williams. Williams saw the gun and charged Hill,
who fired one round, police said. The bullet struck Williams in the throat.

When police arrived, officers said Williams told them, "I can't feel my
legs and I got what I deserved."

Paramedics took Hill and Williams to the Medical Center of South Arkansas

for treatment. Doctors later sent Williams to the Louisiana State University

Medical Center at Shreveport, where he was listed in critical condition
Friday.

Employees at the Medical Center of South Arkansas refused to give Hill's
condition or say if he'd been discharged from the hospital Friday, citing
medical privacy laws.

Officers reported finding a set of keys, two hearing aids, a CD player, an
MP3 player, a Craftsman drill bit set and three pocket knives inside
Williams' pockets. Police plan to charge Williams with residential burglary,
second-degree battery, theft of property and theft by receiving.

robw

Jul 29, 2007, 5:13:23 PM7/29/07
A 93 year old is 93 years old.

And your Grandpop was walking at 93 and dead at 94.
That really makes the case.

And you walk around your house armed?

Can't wait for the day you shoot yourself in the foot taking a shit. (of
course you have already shot yourself in the foot, trust me)

But hey cowboy, nobody but you gets that last piece of pie, huh?

"Kent Finnell" <kent...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

robw

Jul 29, 2007, 5:15:49 PM7/29/07
Well, according to this "fairytale" the man got beat to an inch of his life.

And he could still shoot a gun?

Right.

robw

Jul 29, 2007, 5:16:48 PM7/29/07
Makes sense. I still don't agree with the tactics or even believe the story
though.

"Kent Finnell" <kent...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

robw

Jul 29, 2007, 5:18:04 PM7/29/07
Sill don't believe it.
Who called the cops?

"David Moffitt" <moff...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

Fran Sheehan

Jul 29, 2007, 6:02:28 PM7/29/07
robw wrote:

> A 93 year old is 93 years old.

Cosmic!

Fran Sheehan

Jul 29, 2007, 6:04:56 PM7/29/07
robw wrote:

> Well, according to this "fairytale" the man got beat to an inch of his life.
>
> And he could still shoot a gun?
>
> Right.

What's not "unright" about it?

Just because yer a simple minded 2 year old, that doen't mean that our
elders have to be as stupid or crippled as you.

Kent Finnell

Jul 29, 2007, 6:44:07 PM7/29/07

>A 93 year old is 93 years old.
>
> And your Grandpop was walking at 93 and dead at 94.
> That really makes the case.

The case I made (and you missed it) is that old isn't necessairly feeble.

> And you walk around your house armed?

Yup. And your problem with that is?

> Can't wait for the day you shoot yourself in the foot taking a shit. (of
> course you have already shot yourself in the foot, trust me)

Basic safety hint, never put your finger on the trigger unless you plan to
pull the trigger. While taking a dump, the revolver goes on a flat surface
beside or behind the toilet. When re-holstering, don't put the finger
inside the trigger guard. Since the firing pin is blocked unless the
trigger is pulled, there can be no "accidental" discharge. Dropped, kicked,
thrown, it ain't going to fire.

I have? Now the revolver stays on my right hip, above my right foot which
happens to be artificial. That happened because of a birth defect. The
foot was amputated when I was 14, long before I started carrying. I'm now
66.

If you're feeling froggy, you feel free to jump, hoplophobe.

> But hey cowboy, nobody but you gets that last piece of pie, huh?

Projection problems, robw? That's a psychological term. Google it.

--
The Second Amendment ...
America's Original Homeland Defense

Kent Finnell
From The Music City USA

Bert Hyman

Jul 29, 2007, 6:52:01 PM7/29/07
In news:3-adnc703bR6nzDb...@comcast.com "robw"
<nodd...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Can't wait for the day you shoot yourself in the foot taking a shit.

Is that the way it worked for you?

Clue: Not everybody is a klutz.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

David Moffitt

Jul 29, 2007, 7:06:13 PM7/29/07

> Sill don't believe it.
> Who called the cops?

%%%% The newspaper article didn't say hoplophobe. ":o)

Leavenworth, Washington

From the Seattle Times of July 25, 2007
Would-be victim sends armed robbers running in Leavenworth

A 57-year-old Leavenworth man turned the tables on two armed robbers who
invaded his home Tuesday.

Authorities say that when two masked men armed with handguns got into the
man's home Tuesday night, he confronted them, grabbed one of their guns and
shot one in the hand.

The two masked men then fled, said Chelan County Undersheriff Greg
Meinzer.

Two men from Snohomish County were later arrested after one of them
flagged down an ambulance.

The wounded man, 24, from Everett, was treated at Central Washington
Hospital. The other suspect, a 24-year-old Lake Stevens man, is charged with
first-degree assault and burglary. The wounded man was not immediately
charged.

Meinzer did not release the homeowner's name and says he isn't sure
whether the homeowner knew the masked men or if the attempted robbery was a
random crime.

> "David Moffitt" <moff...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > The point is that there are many alternatives to having a firearm to
>> > protect
>> > yourself. We live in the city and have never had the need for a gun.
>> >
>> > You gun analogy proves my point.
>> >
>> > (by the way, I think the story is bollocks. a 93 year old man "beaten
>> > within
>> > an inch of his life" has the wherewithal to shoot a gun? not buying it.
>> > it's
>> > another "feel good" gun tale.)
>>
>> %%%% Here's a bitch slap across the face for tyou hoplophobe. ":o)
>>
>> From the Pine Bluff Commercial of July 27, 2007

>> Police: cEl Dorado man, 93, shoots robber after beating

Steve

Jul 29, 2007, 7:50:38 PM7/29/07

My dad was still riding horseback in his nineties and he carried an
old Colt .45 whenever he stepped off the front porch...

Bill Bonde ( 'Hi ho' )

Jul 29, 2007, 8:02:55 PM7/29/07

Bo Raxo wrote:

> <edi...@netpath.net> wrote in message
> > When you read the below story of a burglar who beat the shit out of
> > a 93-year-old man Wednesday before that victim critically wounded him
> > with a handgun, ask yourself what would have happened to that 93-year-
> > old victim had he NOT been armed.
> > Willie Hill, 93, of Arkansas was beaten more than 50 times by soda-
> > can-wielding burglar Douglas Williams Jr. - before Hill regained
> > consciousness and shot the burglar in the neck, leaving him in
> > critical condition when he had to be moved to an out-of-state
> > hospital.
> > What kind of ammo the old man used wasn't stated in the wire story
> > - but, if it was a high-performance-brand hollowpoint like Speer Gold
> > Dot, that burglar's home-invasion career ended this week no matter
> > what the courts do with him.
> > From Associated Press, yesterday:
>

> If the old guy had an alarm system (or even just signs saying he had one),

> or a good steel core door, deadbolt, and steel bars over the windows, he
> never would have gotten beaten up in the first place.

What happens when there's a fire?

--
"I hate you and I despise you! Now give me back my tail.", Marilyn
Monroe, "Bus Stop"

Steve

Jul 29, 2007, 9:02:24 PM7/29/07
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:05:02 -0400, "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>If the gun was so effective, why was the man beaten?

probably because it takes a few minutes to get the gun out, but that
doesn't negate the fact that it eventually stopped the criminal in his
tracks.

In many places, like where I grew up in rural Montana, the cops might
be more than an hour away, even if a potential attacker hadn't cut
down the phone lines on the way in... ...and here in Florida, when
there's a severe weather alert, the cops can actually refuse to
respond to calls like that ... in a hurricane, you're 100% on your
own and don't think the vermin don't know it.... as Katrina proved in
N.O. and when I'm out on the boat, help is even further away...

Timothy Darling

Jul 29, 2007, 11:19:20 PM7/29/07
robw <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote:

> The point is that there are many alternatives to having a firearm to protect
> yourself. We live in the city and have never had the need for a gun.
>
> You gun analogy proves my point.
>
> (by the way, I think the story is bollocks. a 93 year old man "beaten within
> an inch of his life" has the wherewithal to shoot a gun? not buying it. it's
> another "feel good" gun tale.)

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/346/story/103349.html

Bama Brian

Jul 30, 2007, 7:28:26 AM7/30/07

The same incident is reported in the Pine Bluff Commercial and on the
Fox 16 TV news at:
http://www.fox16.com/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=379379a1-e408-4fd4-a698-4d132aeeb8fc&rss=316

Still might not be true - but then, that lady that was murdered by the
Atlanta narcs who broke into her home got off at least one shot. And
she was in her 90's, IIRC.

Strange things happen.

--
Cheers,
Bama Brian

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 7:55:55 AM7/30/07
93 is 93. It's that simple.

Only a total asshole would walk around his house armed.

Penis envy, it's another term sometimes given to people who love guns.

Now you don't need to look it up.

"Kent Finnell" <kent...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 7:56:27 AM7/30/07
I wouldn't touch a gun if you paid me.

"Bert Hyman" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 7:57:19 AM7/30/07
Why do these stories all sound like Glen Beck "feel good" yarns??

Because they're about as true?

"Steve" <steven...@lefties.suk.net> wrote in message

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 7:58:54 AM7/30/07
Are you 93?

"Steve" <steven...@lefties.suk.net> wrote in message

edi...@netpath.net

Jul 30, 2007, 8:07:16 AM7/30/07
On Jul 29, 9:02 pm, Steve <stevencan...@lefties.suk.net> wrote:
> In many places, like where I grew up in rural Montana, the cops might
> be more than an hour away, even if a potential attacker hadn't cut
> down the phone lines on the way in... ...and here in Florida, when
> there's a severe weather alert, the cops can actually refuse to
> respond to calls like that ... in a hurricane, you're 100% on your
> own and don't think the vermin don't know it.... as Katrina proved in
> N.O.

Here in small-city Burlington, North Carolina, response time on a
911 prowler call on a Saturday night runs 40 minutes - and that's in
NORMAL times, not during a natural disaster tying up the police!
That's to a home two miles from police headquarters, too.
Last sheriff of this county told me night response times in rural
areas of this county of 140,000 run one hour on emergency calls.

Bert Hyman

Jul 30, 2007, 8:52:53 AM7/30/07
nodd...@comcast.net (robw) wrote in

> I wouldn't touch a gun if you paid me.

Your choice, and for you, likely a very wise one.

Kent Finnell

Jul 30, 2007, 10:12:23 AM7/30/07

> 93 is 93. It's that simple.
>
> Only a total asshole would walk around his house armed.

In your uninformed opinion. Actually I "walk around" my apartment armed so
I won't forget the Ruger when I go out the door to run errands. I pat
myself down just before I lock the door ... keys, cell phone, wallet
(w/drivers license and carry permit), check book, speed loaders, large (but
legal) folder knife, small pocket knife, L.E.D. flashlight, SP101 in IWB
holster, light jacket or Aloha shirt (I don't want to make little old ladies
like you nervous).

> Penis envy, it's another term sometimes given to people who love guns.

Wrong again, grass-hoplophobe, Freud's comment has been turned on its head
by fools like you. If I felt inadequate in that department and wanted a
penis extension, I'd choose something like a Model 29 .44 magnum with a 7
inch barrel. The Ruger has a 2.25 inch barrel. What is it with you
anti-gunners and male sex organs?

> You don't need to look it up.

But you do since you've gotten it all wrong.

--
Kent Finnell

Steve

Jul 30, 2007, 10:32:20 AM7/30/07
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:58:54 -0400, "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Are you 93?

I will be in 30 years.

Steve

Jul 30, 2007, 10:32:20 AM7/30/07
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:57:19 -0400, "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Why do these stories all sound like Glen Beck "feel good" yarns??
>
>Because they're about as true?

Actually, what I related is fairly common up in the Montana cattle
country where rattlesnakes are as common as blackbirds. A pistol is
almost a requirement there, not just for protection, but to put down
any unfortunate critters that require it.. My dad was raised with
guns and horses and in his last few years, when he wasn't as involved
in the business, he reverted to his memories.. he found it easier to
handle a horse than a pickup.

My mom was also a pretty good shot with her old Winchester .22...

Steve

Jul 30, 2007, 10:32:20 AM7/30/07
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:56:27 -0400, "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I wouldn't touch a gun if you paid me.

That's certainly your right... I, for one, have never asked anyone to
touch a gun.

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 10:46:24 AM7/30/07
And why would that be?

"Bert Hyman" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:05:44 AM7/30/07
Where do you live, Baghdad?

If you leave your house that way you are an asshole.

Why would you need a flashlight? And who carries a checkbook in the age of
debit cards?

But hey, if you want to go to the store armed to the teeth, be my guest.

"Kent Finnell" <kent...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Bert Hyman

Jul 30, 2007, 11:08:05 AM7/30/07

> And why would that be?

Because you're a top-posting weenie who's afraid he'll shoot himself.

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:11:50 AM7/30/07
Right, right, you have to be manly to shoot a gun.

Sorry, I forgot.

"Bert Hyman" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message

Bert Hyman

Jul 30, 2007, 11:14:40 AM7/30/07

> Right, right, you have to be manly to shoot a gun.

You misunderstand.

It's the top-posting that shows you're a weenie.

It's your own words that show you're afraid you'll shoot yourself.

> Sorry, I forgot.

That's clear.

Steve

Jul 30, 2007, 11:25:46 AM7/30/07
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:05:44 -0400, "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Where do you live, Baghdad?
>
>If you leave your house that way you are an asshole.

No, just a little boy who is pretending that he's Dirty Harry..

Steve

Jul 30, 2007, 11:25:47 AM7/30/07
On 30 Jul 2007 15:08:05 GMT, Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote:

>nodd...@comcast.net (robw) wrote in
>
>> And why would that be?
>
>Because you're a top-posting weenie who's afraid he'll shoot himself.

The real morons are the ones that have a gun and *aren't* concerned
about inadvertently shooting someone, or themselves.... there are
thousands of people that have made that mistake and now regret it..
...and before anybody starts tossing insults at me, let me say that I
was raised with guns all around me, I continue to keep them at home
and on my boat, and although I have a concealed carry permit, the only
times I've used it was when I was making long range trips in the car
where even then, the gun was locked in an old ammo case well out of
the way, only to be taken into a motel room or brought closer while
taking a nap in a truck stop... ..and let me say that my eyes were
really opened when was taking my CC course... there were people in
there that I judged to have no business ever being in the same room
with a loaded gun.

Bert Hyman

Jul 30, 2007, 11:31:23 AM7/30/07
steven...@lefties.suk.net (Steve) wrote in

> On 30 Jul 2007 15:08:05 GMT, Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote:
>
>>nodd...@comcast.net (robw) wrote in
>>
>>> And why would that be?
>>
>>Because you're a top-posting weenie who's afraid he'll shoot
>>himself.
>
> The real morons are the ones that have a gun and *aren't* concerned
> about inadvertently shooting someone, or themselves....

There's quite a chasm between being careful while handling firearms
and believing that anyone who handles one will certainly shoot
himself.

Kent Finnell

Jul 30, 2007, 11:32:58 AM7/30/07
"robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Right, right, you have to be manly to shoot a gun.

Then how would you explain my friend Heather who has a matching pair of .40
cal Glocks? She's very much female and does not suffer from penis envy.
"As long as I've got [this], I can get all of [those] I want."

> Sorry, I forgot.

How can you forget what you never knew?

--
Kent Finnell, From the Music City USA

A man on his way to Texas asked an Arkansas store owner if he thought he
would need a gun. "Well," the store owner said, "maybe you will and maybe
you won't, but if you do, you'll need it in a hurry."

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:46:20 AM7/30/07
I choose not to use guns and I'll post where I want.

It's that easy.

"Bert Hyman" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message

David Moffitt

Jul 30, 2007, 11:47:19 AM7/30/07

"robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> 93 is 93. It's that simple.
>
> Only a total asshole would walk around his house armed.
>
> Penis envy, it's another term sometimes given to people who love guns.
>
> Now you don't need to look it up.

%%%% Why do you associate firearms with the male penis hoplophobe? Is it a
homoerotic fantasy or a phobia of yours?

http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/problem_detail.asp?SDID=5742:1672

Bert Hyman

Jul 30, 2007, 11:49:05 AM7/30/07

> I choose not to use guns

As I said, your choice, and even more clearly, a good one.

> and I'll post where I want.

Again, your choice, weenie.

> It's that easy.

Sure. And everybody will form their opinions based on your public
behavior.

Good luck.

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:49:15 AM7/30/07
Thanks man!
I bet my wife it would take less than three responses before someone brought
up a woman shooting a gun. And you came up big. Thanks again!

Oh, and the "as long as......" is a mantra usually espoused by women who
can't get it any other way.

"Kent Finnell" <kent...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

David Moffitt

Jul 30, 2007, 11:49:59 AM7/30/07

"robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

>I wouldn't touch a gun if you paid me.

%%%% A classic case of hoplophobia.

http://www.phobialist.com/#H-

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:50:37 AM7/30/07
Exactly Steve, exactly.

"Steve" <steven...@lefties.suk.net> wrote in message

David Moffitt

Jul 30, 2007, 12:01:23 PM7/30/07

> Thanks man!
> I bet my wife it would take less than three responses before someone
> brought
> up a woman shooting a gun. And you came up big. Thanks again!
>
> Oh, and the "as long as......" is a mantra usually espoused by women who
> can't get it any other way.

%%%% Like your "wife"?

Kent Finnell

Jul 30, 2007, 12:03:39 PM7/30/07

> Where do you live, Baghdad?

Madison, Tennessee, a suburb of Nashville.

> If you leave your house that way you are an asshole.

Once more, in your uninformed opinion which carries no weight with me.

> Why would you need a flashlight?

It doesn't get dark where you live? The L.E.D. flashlight is about the size
of a roll of quarters (length and circumfrence) and is very powerful. It
can be blinding in pitch darkness and can be used to blind and confuse an
assailant. The roll of quarters size can be handy too.

> And who carries a checkbook in the age of debit cards?

I like to write down the details as I go and never doubt what my true
balance is. It may see old fashioned to a wet-behind-ears child like you,
but whatever floats your boat. Identity can be stolen and debit cards
raided, checks make that a little more difficult.

> But hey, if you want to go to the store armed to the teeth, be my guest.

Armed to the teeth? Hardly. If I didn't mind totin' the extra weight, I
could add a can of mace, a gun in an SOB (small of back, oh toilet minded
one), another gun in an ankle holster, and yet another in a cross draw
position in an undercover t-shirt. I don't like shoulder holsters, but
there's another possibility. Tennessee law doesn't restrict the number or
kind of handguns one can carry. (Reference Mel Gibson in the original
"Lethal Weapon.") If I wanted to take the time and money to get certified,
I could add an A.S.P. baton.

Armed to the toe maybe. That right foot, made of neoprene, could definitely
be classed as a concealed weapon ... back in my teen years I used it where a
fellow playfully pulled a switch blade on me. I playfully swung my
artificial foot (then attached to my leg by a large chunk of white pine)
into his crotch. It took him several minutes to straighten up.

Like the 93 year old, if someone tries to take me down, it will be with as
much trouble as I can provide.

Bert Hyman

Jul 30, 2007, 12:04:36 PM7/30/07
nodd...@comcast.net (robw) wrote in

> Why would you need a flashlight? And who carries a checkbook in the
> age of debit cards?

Acceptance of diversity, tolerance and understanding ...

Well, it's pretty clear why you're so afraid of guns.

Kent Finnell

Jul 30, 2007, 12:19:15 PM7/30/07
"Steve" <steven...@lefties.suk.net> wrote in message

> On 30 Jul 2007 15:08:05 GMT, Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote:
>
>>nodd...@comcast.net (robw) wrote in
>>
>>> And why would that be?
>>
>>Because you're a top-posting weenie who's afraid he'll shoot himself.
>
> The real morons are the ones that have a gun and *aren't* concerned
> about inadvertently shooting someone, or themselves.... there are
> thousands of people that have made that mistake and now regret it..
> ...and before anybody starts tossing insults at me, let me say that I
> was raised with guns all around me, I continue to keep them at home
> and on my boat, and although I have a concealed carry permit, the only
> times I've used it was when I was making long range trips in the car
> where even then, the gun was locked in an old ammo case well out of
> the way, only to be taken into a motel room or brought closer while
> taking a nap in a truck stop... ..and let me say that my eyes were
> really opened when was taking my CC course... there were people in
> there that I judged to have no business ever being in the same room
> with a loaded gun.

And if they got certified, that was the fault of the trainer. The one that
taught me would go out of his way to discourage the cowboy wannabes.

You, like robw, are making judgments based on your prejudices. Neither one
of you is qualified to make those judgments. I refer to you calling me "a
little boy pretending to be Dirty Harry". Wrong, Steve, wrong. I'm a grown
man who is willing to be responsible for his own safety. Since the crystal
ball is broken, I have no idea when deadly trouble is going to present
itself.

I'm not concerned about inadvertently shooting someone or myself since I
obey the primary rule ... the finger does not go inside the trigger guard
unless I intend to shoot the weapon and potentially destroy what's at the
other end.

The DOA Ruger has a transfer bar that prevents the shell from being fired
until the trigger is pulled. It will not fire if dropped, kicked, or
thrown. I could toss it out my 10th floor window, and it would not fire.
It has a 13-14 pound trigger pull.

I put you in the same class as robw, Steve ... arrogant sob trying to
dictate what I do.

--
Kent Finnell

edi...@netpath.net

Jul 30, 2007, 1:19:06 PM7/30/07
On Jul 29, 9:23 am, "tiny dancer" <tinydancer...@hotmail.com> quoted
Bo Raxo:
> > If the old guy had an alarm system (or even just signs saying he had one),

> > or a good steel core door, deadbolt, and steel bars over the windows, he
> > never would have gotten beaten up in the first place.

and replied:
> Face it, you are out of your element when it comes to rural living or old
> people or substandard housing or living in the south where most of the
> elderly people own weapons and have for generations.

He doesn't have a fucking clue about rural living. Last sheriff in
my semirural county told me that night response time in this county -
on emergency calls - runs an hour typically. Anyone thinking a young
adult male burglar can't force entry - no matter what deadbolts or
doors - within that hour is kidding himself.

RD (The Sandman)

Jul 30, 2007, 1:26:35 PM7/30/07
"robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in

> Penis envy, it's another term sometimes given to people who love guns.

What's amusing is that it's always folks like you who bring it up. Just
how obsessive are you on other folk's penises?

--
Sleep well tonight.........RD (The Sandman)

http://home.comcast.net/~rdsandman

Antigunners feel that this is a proper study on Gun control:

First: Draw the desired curve
Then: Plot the data
If time permits: Do the experiment

RD (The Sandman)

Jul 30, 2007, 1:29:43 PM7/30/07
"robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in

> I wouldn't touch a gun if you paid me.

You'd probably just faint....

Bert Hyman

Jul 30, 2007, 1:31:40 PM7/30/07
rdsandman(spamlock)@comcast.net (RD (The Sandman)) wrote in

> "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in
>
>> Penis envy, it's another term sometimes given to people who love
>> guns.
>>

> What's amusing is that it's always folks like you who bring it up.
> Just how obsessive are you on other folk's penises?

On USENET, it's only the gun control advocates who ever confuse a gun
with a penis.

Maybe that's why they become gun grabbers.

RD (The Sandman)

Jul 30, 2007, 1:33:04 PM7/30/07
David Johnston <da...@block.net> wrote in

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:03:21 -0400, "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>They can't call the police but they can shoot a gun?
>
> They can call police. They just can't wait the average of four or
> five minutes for the police to arrive.

Damn, that is quick response. There are areas around here where that
response is measured in days.

RD (The Sandman)

Jul 30, 2007, 1:34:11 PM7/30/07

> Well, according to this "fairytale" the man got beat to an inch of his
> life.
>
> And he could still shoot a gun?
>
> Right.

It was probably easier to shoot the gun than dial a phone. Why? Do you
have 911 on speed dial?

> "David Johnston" <da...@block.net> wrote in message

>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:03:21 -0400, "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >They can't call the police but they can shoot a gun?
>>
>> They can call police. They just can't wait the average of four or
>> five minutes for the police to arrive.

RD (The Sandman)

Jul 30, 2007, 1:35:28 PM7/30/07
"robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in

> Sill don't believe it.
> Who called the cops?

Perhaps, the neighbors after hearing the gun shots.....perhaps, the
burglar trying to reach an ambulance...

> "David Moffitt" <moff...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

>> "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> > The point is that there are many alternatives to having a firearm
>> > to protect
>> > yourself. We live in the city and have never had the need for a
>> > gun.
>> >
>> > You gun analogy proves my point.
>> >
>> > (by the way, I think the story is bollocks. a 93 year old man
>> > "beaten within
>> > an inch of his life" has the wherewithal to shoot a gun? not buying
>> > it. it's
>> > another "feel good" gun tale.)
>>
>> %%%% Here's a bitch slap across the face for tyou hoplophobe. ":o)
>>
>> From the Pine Bluff Commercial of July 27, 2007
>> Police: El Dorado man, 93, shoots robber after beating
>>
>> An elderly man beaten unconscious by an assailant wielding a soda
>> can
>> later awoke and shot the man during an attempted robbery, police
>> said.
>>
>> Willie Lee Hill, 93, told police he saw the robber while in his
>> bedroom
>> Wednesday night. Hill confronted Douglas B. Williams Jr., 24, of El
> Dorado,
>> who struck the elderly man at least 50 times, kknocking him out,
>> police said.
>>
>> Hill, covered in blood from the attack, regained consciousness and
> pulled
>> a .38-caliber handgun on Williams. Williams saw the gun and charged
>> Hill, who fired one round, police said. The bullet struck Williams in
>> the
> throat.
>>
>> When police arrived, officers said Williams told them, "I can't
>> feel my
>> legs and I got what I deserved."
>>
>> Paramedics took Hill and Williams to the Medical Center of South
> Arkansas
>> for treatment. Doctors later sent Williams to the Louisiana State
> University
>> Medical Center at Shreveport, where he was listed in critical
>> condition Friday.
>>
>> Employees at the Medical Center of South Arkansas refused to give
>> Hill's
>> condition or say if he'd been discharged from the hospital Friday,
>> citing medical privacy laws.
>>
>> Officers reported finding a set of keys, two hearing aids, a CD
>> player,
> an
>> MP3 player, a Craftsman drill bit set and three pocket knives inside
>> Williams' pockets. Police plan to charge Williams with residential
> burglary,
>> second-degree battery, theft of property and theft by receiving.

RD (The Sandman)

Jul 30, 2007, 2:08:34 PM7/30/07
Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in news:Xns997D7F713E314VeebleFetzer@
127.0.0.1:

Ouch, that hurt..... ;)

Bo Raxo

Jul 30, 2007, 3:22:10 PM7/30/07
On Jul 30, 4:28 am, Bama Brian <bamaNOTbr...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> robw wrote:
> > Well, according to this "fairytale" the man got beat to an inch of his life.
>
> > And he could still shoot a gun?
>
> > Right.
>
> > "David Johnston" <da...@block.net> wrote in message

> >> They can call police. They just can't wait the average of four or
> >> five minutes for the police to arrive.
>
> The same incident is reported in the Pine Bluff Commercial and on the
> Fox 16 TV news at:http://www.fox16.com/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=379379a1-e408-4...
>
> Still might not be true - but then, that lady that was murdered by the
> Atlanta narcs who broke into her home got off at least one shot. And
> she was in her 90's, IIRC.

And if she didn't have that gun, it is unlikely the police would have
fired a shot. An excellent example of a gun causing the owner's
death.

> Strange things happen.

Yes, they do, especially with extremely old people. They mistake the
gas for the accelerator and drive cars in to buildings. They set
things down and forget where they left them. They get easily
confused.

And you want these people carrying loaded guns?!?

Living in a single family dwelling in an isolated rural area entails
certain risks. Those risks are greater if you're very, very old. If
those risks aren't acceptable to you, move to a place with closer
neighbors, better police coverage, or even to something like a senior
citizen community. That's a better risk mitigatin strategy than
handing a loaded gun to someone who is likely to mistake a gas pedal
for a brake.

Bo Raxo

br...@pobox.com

Jul 30, 2007, 3:29:42 PM7/30/07
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 05:09:08 -0700, "Bo Raxo"
<crimene...@gmail.com> wrote:

><edi...@netpath.net> wrote in message

>> On Jul 29, 12:50 am, "Bo Raxo" <crimenewscen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If the old guy had an alarm system (or even just signs saying he had
>>> one),
>>> or a good steel core door, deadbolt, and steel bars over the windows, he
>>> never would have gotten beaten up in the first place.
>>

>> Steel bars over the windows? Are you saying innocent old Americans
>> should have to live in prisons they must pay to build in order that
>> the liberal antigun agenda can "work" at all?
>>

>No, I'm saying if you're worried about crime there are more effective steps
>to take than owning a gun. I rented a place that had steel bars on the
>windows. It was a nice three bedroom two bath, hardly a prison at all, but
>the landlord thought the ground floor windows merited extra protection.
>
>What isn't working is the right's "war on drugs". Legalize the drugs and
>you get rid of most of the burglars, because it's usually somebody feeding a
>drug habit that is breaking in to houses.
>
>Apparently you're saying that seniors on fixed incomes should be spending
>what few dollars they have on guns, because you want to abandon any hope of
>the police protecting them and having them live in more secure conditions.
>
>>> Since he got beaten to within an inch of his life, it sounds to me like
>>> the
>>> gun wasn't all that effective as a protection strategy.
>>
>> Bullshit. It's always a COMBINATION of things that work best in
>> security - like a good "territorial" dog and a gun. The dog deters
>> intruders - and alerts you that they are trying to get in or inside;
>> the gun protects both you and the dog.
>>

>Let's see: the perp beat the guy in to critical condition and left him for
>unconcious. So if you're claiming the gun was effective protection or
>deterrence, you're the one that's spouting bullshit.

More whining by a cowardly left wing cur trying desperately to justify
that yellow stripe down his back. I wish you worthless maggots would
have the sense to quit insulting the very people that you spend your
sorry lives hiding behind.

Bo Raxo

Jul 30, 2007, 3:29:56 PM7/30/07

Anyone thinking that burglars are going to whip out an acetylene torch
to cut through your window bars is completely nuts.

Burglars are interested in getting a quick score. If your house is a
difficult target, they'll pick an easier one. Even just having signs
and stickers announcing you have an alarm system (whether you actually
have one or not) can be a good deterrent.

Also amusing is the guy who said the instructor at the CC permit class
shouldn't have "certified" people who had no business carrying a gun:
when I took the CC permit class in Florida, there was no test at the
end, no standards: attend the class, get the permit, including the
elderly guy, probably in his 80s, who slept through most of the
course.

And bonus points for the guy who claims that window bars violate fire
codes: he obviously knows zero about window bars, they come with a
latch you can release from the inside in case of fire.

br...@pobox.com

Jul 30, 2007, 3:40:54 PM7/30/07
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:29:56 -0000, Bo Raxo
<crimene...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 30, 10:19 am, "edi...@netpath.net" <edi...@netpath.net> wrote:
>> On Jul 29, 9:23 am, "tiny dancer" <tinydancer...@hotmail.com> quoted
>> Bo Raxo:

>> and replied:
>>
>> > Face it, you are out of your element when it comes to rural living or old
>> > people or substandard housing or living in the south where most of the
>> > elderly people own weapons and have for generations.
>>
>> He doesn't have a fucking clue about rural living. Last sheriff in
>> my semirural county told me that night response time in this county -
>> on emergency calls - runs an hour typically. Anyone thinking a young
>> adult male burglar can't force entry - no matter what deadbolts or
>> doors - within that hour is kidding himself.
>>

>Anyone thinking that burglars are going to whip out an acetylene torch
>to cut through your window bars is completely nuts.

Why would he bother? All one of these good old boy country criminals
need do is wrap a length of logging chain around the bars, tie the
other end to his trusty pickup truck, and yank the bars out, along
with most of the wall.

>Burglars are interested in getting a quick score. If your house is a
>difficult target, they'll pick an easier one. Even just having signs
>and stickers announcing you have an alarm system (whether you actually
>have one or not) can be a good deterrent.

They're interested in a "safe" score. If you're isolated out in the
country, without communications (wire cutters, anyone?), and alone,
you're a pretty soft target.

>Also amusing is the guy who said the instructor at the CC permit class
>shouldn't have "certified" people who had no business carrying a gun:
>when I took the CC permit class in Florida, there was no test at the
>end, no standards: attend the class, get the permit, including the
>elderly guy, probably in his 80s, who slept through most of the
>course.
>
>And bonus points for the guy who claims that window bars violate fire
>codes: he obviously knows zero about window bars, they come with a
>latch you can release from the inside in case of fire.

They very well may violate the fire codes in his location. This is a
big country, with many political jurisdictions.

Kent Finnell

Jul 30, 2007, 5:04:16 PM7/30/07

> On Jul 30, 4:28 am, Bama Brian <bamaNOTbr...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> robw wrote:
>> > Well, according to this "fairytale" the man got beat to an inch of his
>> > life.
>>
>> > And he could still shoot a gun?
>>
>> > Right.
>>
>> > "David Johnston" <da...@block.net> wrote in message

>> The same incident is reported in the Pine Bluff Commercial and on the
>> Fox 16 TV news
>> at:http://www.fox16.com/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=379379a1-e408-4...
>>
>> Still might not be true - but then, that lady that was murdered by the
>> Atlanta narcs who broke into her home got off at least one shot. And
>> she was in her 90's, IIRC.
>>

> And if she didn't have that gun, it is unlikely the police would have
> fired a shot. An excellent example of a gun causing the owner's
> death.

Once again, Bo Peep blames the victim rather than the doer.

>> Strange things happen.
>>

> Yes, they do, especially with extremely old people. They mistake the
> gas for the accelerator and drive cars in to buildings. They set
> things down and forget where they left them. They get easily
> confused.

Uh, "gas" = "accelerator". Did you confuse them with the "brake"? Are you
an extremely old person? Pot(head), kettle, black.

> And you want these people carrying loaded guns?!?

The initial subject of this thread wasn't carrying. He was in his own home.

> Living in a single family dwelling in an isolated rural area entails
> certain risks. Those risks are greater if you're very, very old. If
> those risks aren't acceptable to you, move to a place with closer
> neighbors, better police coverage, or even to something like a senior
> citizen community. That's a better risk mitigatin strategy than
> handing a loaded gun to someone who is likely to mistake a gas pedal
> for a brake.

No evidence that the initial subject had ever done that, but I'm glad that
you got the gas pedal (accellerator) and the brake straightened out. Are
you going to pay for the relocation of the "very, very old"? How is one to
determine where there is better police coverage? And have you ever priced a
senior citizen community? Again, are you willing to pay for the relocation?

> Bo Raxo

I think the collective intelligence of the 20 mule team is higher than
yours, Bo.

r_c_...@hushmail.com

Jul 30, 2007, 5:29:22 PM7/30/07
On Jul 30, 8:05 am, "robw" <noddy...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Where do you live, Baghdad?
>
> If you leave your house that way you are an asshole.
>
> Why would you need a flashlight? And who carries a checkbook in the age of
> debit cards?

I do: it serves as a wallet (holds the credit/debit cards, DL, and
other similar sized cards, as well as folding money).

> But hey, if you want to go to the store armed to the teeth, be my guest.
>

> "Kent Finnell" <kentf...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > "robw" <noddy...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > > 93 is 93. It's that simple.
>
> > > Only a total asshole would walk around his house armed.
>
> > In your uninformed opinion. Actually I "walk around" my apartment armed
> so
> > I won't forget the Ruger when I go out the door to run errands. I pat
> > myself down just before I lock the door ... keys, cell phone, wallet
> > (w/drivers license and carry permit), check book, speed loaders, large
> (but
> > legal) folder knife, small pocket knife, L.E.D. flashlight, SP101 in IWB
> > holster, light jacket or Aloha shirt (I don't want to make little old
> ladies
> > like you nervous).
>

> > > Penis envy, it's another term sometimes given to people who love guns.
>

> > Wrong again, grass-hoplophobe, Freud's comment has been turned on its head
> > by fools like you. If I felt inadequate in that department and wanted a
> > penis extension, I'd choose something like a Model 29 .44 magnum with a 7
> > inch barrel. The Ruger has a 2.25 inch barrel. What is it with you
> > anti-gunners and male sex organs?
>
> > > You don't need to look it up.
>
> > But you do since you've gotten it all wrong.
>

> > --
> > Kent Finnell
> > From the Music City USA- Hide quoted text -

tiny dancer

Jul 30, 2007, 5:36:59 PM7/30/07

"Bo Raxo" <crimene...@gmail.com> wrote in message

And how about someone inside who is *unable* to release that latch? Fire
codes are different in various areas. If the person inside *is* elderly,
"fallen and can't get up", or children left home alone. Many different
reasons why who ever on the inside could be unable to release that latch.

Jim Yanik

Jul 30, 2007, 6:52:25 PM7/30/07
br...@pobox.com wrote in

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 05:09:08 -0700, "Bo Raxo"
><crimene...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>><edi...@netpath.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Steel bars over the windows? Are you saying innocent old
>>> Americans
>>> should have to live in prisons they must pay to build in order that
>>> the liberal antigun agenda can "work" at all?
>>>

>>No, I'm saying if you're worried about crime there are more effective
>>steps to take than owning a gun. I rented a place that had steel
>>bars on the windows. It was a nice three bedroom two bath, hardly a
>>prison at all,

Maybe not to YOU.
OTOH,when my community gated itself,I felt like I was in prison.
Bars on windows are even worse.

>> but the landlord thought the ground floor windows
>>merited extra protection.

because criminals have no fear of bad things happening in the commission of
their crimes.People have become too pacifist WRT crime."oh,insurance will
replace your things...". What CRAP.

(I just had my car stolen by thieves last month,lost $300 worth of tools
that insurance doesn't cover.I'm REALLY sick of people like that who wave
off such thefts.I suspect that THEY have not suffered any such losses.)

>>What isn't working is the right's "war on drugs". Legalize the drugs
>>and you get rid of most of the burglars, because it's usually somebody
>>feeding a drug habit that is breaking in to houses.
>>
>>Apparently you're saying that seniors on fixed incomes should be
>>spending what few dollars they have on guns, because you want to
>>abandon any hope of the police protecting them and having them live in
>>more secure conditions.

>>> Bullshit. It's always a COMBINATION of things that work best in
>>> security - like a good "territorial" dog and a gun. The dog deters
>>> intruders - and alerts you that they are trying to get in or inside;
>>> the gun protects both you and the dog.
>>>

>>Let's see: the perp beat the guy in to critical condition and left him
>>for unconcious. So if you're claiming the gun was effective
>>protection or deterrence, you're the one that's spouting bullshit.
>>

> More whining by a cowardly left wing cur trying desperately to justify
> that yellow stripe down his back. I wish you worthless maggots would
> have the sense to quit insulting the very people that you spend your
> sorry lives hiding behind.

Considering that most people do NOT have guns or can legally carry a gun
outside their home,the criminal would not be deterred.It still is rare for
a criminal to encounter an armed citizen.
Gun ownership has been demonized by the leftists and mainstream media.

However,having a gun DOES better the chances of a ODC successfully
defending themselves,with less risk to themselves.
In ANY self-defense,one has to be prepared to act,possession of -any- item
does not alone make for protection.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Steve

Jul 30, 2007, 7:05:02 PM7/30/07
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:19:15 -0500, "Kent Finnell"
<kent...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"Steve" <steven...@lefties.suk.net> wrote in message
>> On 30 Jul 2007 15:08:05 GMT, Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote:
>>
>>>nodd...@comcast.net (robw) wrote in

>>>Because you're a top-posting weenie who's afraid he'll shoot himself.
>>
>> The real morons are the ones that have a gun and *aren't* concerned
>> about inadvertently shooting someone, or themselves.... there are
>> thousands of people that have made that mistake and now regret it..
>> ...and before anybody starts tossing insults at me, let me say that I
>> was raised with guns all around me, I continue to keep them at home
>> and on my boat, and although I have a concealed carry permit, the only
>> times I've used it was when I was making long range trips in the car
>> where even then, the gun was locked in an old ammo case well out of
>> the way, only to be taken into a motel room or brought closer while
>> taking a nap in a truck stop... ..and let me say that my eyes were
>> really opened when was taking my CC course... there were people in
>> there that I judged to have no business ever being in the same room
>> with a loaded gun.
>>
>And if they got certified, that was the fault of the trainer. The one that
>taught me would go out of his way to discourage the cowboy wannabes.

No, it was their attitude that bothered me. Some of them seemed to
think that they should walk around their apartment with guns strapped
to their legs... Oh wait.... that was you...

>You, like robw, are making judgments based on your prejudices. Neither one
>of you is qualified to make those judgments.

Actually, I'm more than qualified...

> I refer to you calling me "a
>little boy pretending to be Dirty Harry". Wrong, Steve, wrong. I'm a grown
>man who is willing to be responsible for his own safety. Since the crystal
>ball is broken, I have no idea when deadly trouble is going to present
>itself.

<LOL> OK, Wyatt....

>I'm not concerned about inadvertently shooting someone or myself since I
>obey the primary rule ... the finger does not go inside the trigger guard
>unless I intend to shoot the weapon and potentially destroy what's at the
>other end.

Yep, you're definitely the kind of the person that I judge to have no

business ever being in the same room with a loaded gun.

I've carried several different kinds of guns in a lot of situations
where a gun was actually of some use, IOW, not in my living room or
the grocery store, and in some cases it was a definite requirement,
and I never once stopped being concerned about the possibility of
shooting someone or something that I wouldn't have wanted shot. That
was drummed into my noggin back when I was about eight years old

>The DOA Ruger has a transfer bar that prevents the shell from being fired
>until the trigger is pulled. It will not fire if dropped, kicked, or
>thrown. I could toss it out my 10th floor window, and it would not fire.
>It has a 13-14 pound trigger pull.

...and BTW, nobody that knew anything would carry a DOA, except
perhaps a little pocket revolver where an external hammer would be a
problem. A real DOA automatic is kind of silly.. ...and no, Glocks
are not DOA...

>I put you in the same class as robw,... arrogant sob trying to
>dictate what I do.

<LOL> You're sensitivity is acknowledged... Grow up!

Steve

Jul 30, 2007, 7:05:01 PM7/30/07
On 30 Jul 2007 15:31:23 GMT, Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote:

>steven...@lefties.suk.net (Steve) wrote in

>> On 30 Jul 2007 15:08:05 GMT, Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote:
>>
>>>nodd...@comcast.net (robw) wrote in

>>>Because you're a top-posting weenie who's afraid he'll shoot
>>>himself.
>>
>> The real morons are the ones that have a gun and *aren't* concerned
>> about inadvertently shooting someone, or themselves....
>

>There's quite a chasm between being careful while handling firearms
>and believing that anyone who handles one will certainly shoot
>himself.

But, of course, claiming that somebody who chooses not to handle
fire-arms is afraid of them is a larger chasm... For the most part, I
choose not to handle them... I certainly choose not to walk around in
the grocery store pretending to be dirty Harry or Wyatt Earp, and yet
I can handle them fine if I need to...

Now, perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see Rob trying to pry your cold
dead fingers off your gun, so why are you calling him names?

Fran Sheehan

Jul 30, 2007, 7:06:14 PM7/30/07
Jim Yanik wrote:

> br...@pobox.com wrote in
>

>>On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 05:09:08 -0700, "Bo Raxo"
>><crimene...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>No, I'm saying if you're worried about crime there are more effective
>>>steps to take than owning a gun. I rented a place that had steel
>>>bars on the windows.

Must be a pretty looking prison.

> Maybe not to YOU.
> OTOH,when my community gated itself,I felt like I was in prison.
> Bars on windows are even worse.

Butt, that's the way, Uh huh uh huh, he likes it.. uh huh uh huh.

>>>but the landlord thought the ground floor windows
>>>merited extra protection.

Funny how even your landlord was scared shitless. eh, BO?

>>More whining by a cowardly left wing cur trying desperately to justify
>>that yellow stripe down his back. I wish you worthless maggots would
>>have the sense to quit insulting the very people that you spend your
>>sorry lives hiding behind.

> Considering that most people do NOT have guns or can legally carry a gun
> outside their home,the criminal would not be deterred.It still is rare for
> a criminal to encounter an armed citizen.

We can change that!

Kent Finnell

Jul 30, 2007, 9:00:48 PM7/30/07
"Steve" <steven...@lefties.suk.net> wrote in message

You obviously don't know how an IWB holster works. The holster and
therefore the gun is not strapped to the leg. Attitude? How do you judge
that through the web?

>>You, like robw, are making judgments based on your prejudices. Neither
>>one
>>of you is qualified to make those judgments.
>
> Actually, I'm more than qualified...

How so? Degrees? Documented training? Experience with law enforcement or
the military?

>> I refer to you calling me "a
>>little boy pretending to be Dirty Harry". Wrong, Steve, wrong. I'm a
>>grown
>>man who is willing to be responsible for his own safety. Since the
>>crystal
>>ball is broken, I have no idea when deadly trouble is going to present
>>itself.
>
> <LOL> OK, Wyatt....

Kent, not Wyatt. Wyatt was lawman who wasn't beyond bending the law to
survive.

>>I'm not concerned about inadvertently shooting someone or myself since I
>>obey the primary rule ... the finger does not go inside the trigger guard
>>unless I intend to shoot the weapon and potentially destroy what's at the
>>other end.
>
> Yep, you're definitely the kind of the person that I judge to have no
> business ever being in the same room with a loaded gun.

That makes no sense what so ever. I am not an accident waiting to happen.

> I've carried several different kinds of guns in a lot of situations
> where a gun was actually of some use, IOW, not in my living room or
> the grocery store, and in some cases it was a definite requirement,
> and I never once stopped being concerned about the possibility of
> shooting someone or something that I wouldn't have wanted shot. That
> was drummed into my noggin back when I was about eight years old
>
>>The DOA Ruger has a transfer bar that prevents the shell from being fired
>>until the trigger is pulled. It will not fire if dropped, kicked, or
>>thrown. I could toss it out my 10th floor window, and it would not fire.
>>It has a 13-14 pound trigger pull.
>
> ...and BTW, nobody that knew anything would carry a DOA, except
> perhaps a little pocket revolver where an external hammer would be a
> problem. A real DOA automatic is kind of silly.. ...and no, Glocks
> are not DOA...

The SP101 .357 that I have has a spurless hammer. It is a pocket pistol as
far as my trainer is concerned, all 6'6", 300 lbs of him. He's an ex Metro
Nashville cop and I'll take his credentials over your puffery. I'm about a
foot shorter than Buford Tune and my pockets are no where near as big.

Some SP101s do have hammers with spurs, barrel lengths, and calibers.

>>I put you in the same class as robw,... arrogant sob trying to
>>dictate what I do.
>
> <LOL> You're sensitivity is acknowledged... Grow up!

As noted before, I'm already all growed up.

Steve

Jul 30, 2007, 10:08:40 PM7/30/07
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:00:48 -0500, "Kent Finnell"
<kent...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

....problem was that you even needed that training..

>> No, it was their attitude that bothered me. Some of them seemed to
>> think that they should walk around their apartment with guns strapped
>> to their legs... Oh wait.... that was you...
>
>You obviously don't know how an IWB holster works. The holster and
>therefore the gun is not strapped to the leg.

<LOL> It was a cliche, you fruitcake.....

> Attitude? How do you judge
>that through the web?

It's easy enough.. Has to do with your loony claim to carry a loaded
weapon around your tenth floor apartment and how you think that all
you need to know to keep your finger off the trigger... <LOL> of a
DOA...

>>>You, like robw, are making judgments based on your prejudices. Neither
>>>one
>>>of you is qualified to make those judgments.
>>
>> Actually, I'm more than qualified...
>
>How so? Degrees? Documented training? Experience with law enforcement or
>the military?

Let's just say some good old fashioned down-home up-bringing, followed
by some backwoods hands on instruction, first received, then
delivered, followed by some additional professional training followed
by some unpleasant experiences. I don't have any reason to explain
my qualifications to you, beyond that, cause, after all you have your
own "trainer" who taught you to keep your finger out of the trigger
guard,

>>> I refer to you calling me "a
>>>little boy pretending to be Dirty Harry". Wrong, Steve, wrong. I'm a
>>>grown
>>>man who is willing to be responsible for his own safety. Since the
>>>crystal
>>>ball is broken, I have no idea when deadly trouble is going to present
>>>itself.
>>
>> <LOL> OK, Wyatt....
>
>Kent, not Wyatt. Wyatt was lawman who wasn't beyond bending the law to
>survive.

<LOL> Yo know what's really funny? the vast majority of folks living
in what we call the "old west" didn't even own a gun, and even then,
the vast majority of them were rifles and shotguns.. and Wyatt Earp,
for all his reputation, didn't "pack" a "sixgun in a fast draw holster
on his hip, which is why, back then, handguns were called pocket
pistols..

Fact is, that most of the guys that carried a gun in a holster, were
real cowboys, guys that tended cows, who carried them mostly to
shoot snakes and varmints and didn't carry them when they weren't out
on the range. Hickok carried a pair of muzzle loading .36 cal Navy
Colts in his belt or sash... Earp wrote that he carried a Colt in his
coat pocket on the way to the OK Corral.

>>>I'm not concerned about inadvertently shooting someone or myself since I
>>>obey the primary rule ... the finger does not go inside the trigger guard
>>>unless I intend to shoot the weapon and potentially destroy what's at the
>>>other end.

Actually, the Primary Rule about guns is that guns aren't toys.. You
seem to have put that behind the nonsense about not putting your
finger in the trigger guard of a gun with a 13-14 pound trigger pull.
BTW, do you have any idea how much that trigger pull will screw up
your accuracy? have you shot the damned thing yet? That fat cop
never told you about a decocker?

>> Yep, you're definitely the kind of the person that I judge to have no
>> business ever being in the same room with a loaded gun.
>
>That makes no sense what so ever. I am not an accident waiting to happen.

You carry a loaded gun around in your home.. do you shower with it ?
a bad guy could attack you in the shower you know....

>> I've carried several different kinds of guns in a lot of situations
>> where a gun was actually of some use, IOW, not in my living room or
>> the grocery store, and in some cases it was a definite requirement,
>> and I never once stopped being concerned about the possibility of
>> shooting someone or something that I wouldn't have wanted shot. That
>> was drummed into my noggin back when I was about eight years old
>>
>>>The DOA Ruger has a transfer bar that prevents the shell from being fired
>>>until the trigger is pulled. It will not fire if dropped, kicked, or
>>>thrown. I could toss it out my 10th floor window, and it would not fire.
>>>It has a 13-14 pound trigger pull.
>>
>> ...and BTW, nobody that knew anything would carry a DOA, except
>> perhaps a little pocket revolver where an external hammer would be a
>> problem. A real DOA automatic is kind of silly.. ...and no, Glocks
>> are not DOA...
>
>The SP101 .357 that I have has a spurless hammer. It is a pocket pistol as

yes it is, but you were talking about a DOA Ruger... <LOL> what
happened, you find that DOA on sale? ...and only a dumbshit cowboy
needs more than one up close handgun, and BTW, neither one is good for
more than twenty feet. The DOA because it's a <LOL> DOA and the
Sp101 because you can't control it...

>far as my trainer is concerned, all 6'6", 300 lbs of him.

I've never been impressed by fat guys... can't respect someone that
can't even control his own eating habits... and it figures <LOL>
that you have a trainer.... only a total doofus figures that he's
perfectly safe simply because he's learned not to keep his finger on
the trigger... but here's a clue, with a DOA, that's hardly
necessary...

>He's an ex Metro
>Nashville cop and I'll take his credentials over your puffery. I'm about a
>foot shorter than Buford Tune and my pockets are no where near as big.
>
>Some SP101s do have hammers with spurs, barrel lengths, and calibers.

I know all about SP101s.. I think they're cute.. worthless but
cute.

>>>I put you in the same class as robw,... arrogant sob trying to
>>>dictate what I do.
>>
>> <LOL> You're sensitivity is acknowledged... Grow up!
>
>As noted before, I'm already all growed up.

Look again, Wyatt... take off them boots and spurs first.

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 10:53:37 PM7/30/07
No problem, this is how much I care................(did you get it?)

> nodd...@comcast.net (robw) wrote in
>
> > I choose not to use guns
>
> As I said, your choice, and even more clearly, a good one.
>
> > and I'll post where I want.
>
> Again, your choice, weenie.
>
> > It's that easy.
>
> Sure. And everybody will form their opinions based on your public
> behavior.
>
> Good luck.

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 10:55:01 PM7/30/07
Why the quotation marks.
She is my wife, and no, she'd never make a statement like that.

Girl's got class.

> "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > Thanks man!
> > I bet my wife it would take less than three responses before someone
> > brought
> > up a woman shooting a gun. And you came up big. Thanks again!
> >
> > Oh, and the "as long as......" is a mantra usually espoused by women who
> > can't get it any other way.
>
> %%%% Like your "wife"?
>

> > "Kent Finnell" <kent...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> >> "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> >> Then how would you explain my friend Heather who has a matching pair of
> > .40
> >> cal Glocks? She's very much female and does not suffer from penis
envy.
> >> "As long as I've got [this], I can get all of [those] I want."

> >> How can you forget what you never knew?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Kent Finnell, From the Music City USA
> >>
> >> A man on his way to Texas asked an Arkansas store owner if he thought
he
> >> would need a gun. "Well," the store owner said, "maybe you will and
maybe
> >> you won't, but if you do, you'll need it in a hurry."

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 10:57:03 PM7/30/07
I'm not trying to dictate what you do.

I just can't believe you go Rambo to buy opinions.
It's moronic.

"Kent Finnell" <kent...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 10:59:57 PM7/30/07
Not at all.

I just have no use for guns in my life.

If you do and you're responsible with them, that's cool with me.

> "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> >I wouldn't touch a gun if you paid me.
>

> %%%% A classic case of hoplophobia.
>
> http://www.phobialist.com/#H-

> > "Bert Hyman" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message

> >> Is that the way it worked for you?
> >>
> >> Clue: Not everybody is a klutz.

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:00:30 PM7/30/07
I know I wouldn't get excited.

Think about it.

"RD (The Sandman)" <rdsandman(spamlock)@comcast.net> wrote in message

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:07:51 PM7/30/07
You don't have street lights where you live.
And remember, you said you dressed this way when you did "errands" You do
all of them at night?

As far as your check argument.....you write a check and the establishment
has not only your account number but your routing number as well. And seeing
as how you have to show id, they also have your license number and in some
states your social security #.

Look, I realise what I think doesn't matter to you, fine.

But you;re an asshole.

> "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > Where do you live, Baghdad?
>

> Madison, Tennessee, a suburb of Nashville.

> > If you leave your house that way you are an asshole.
>

> Once more, in your uninformed opinion which carries no weight with me.

> > Why would you need a flashlight?
>

> It doesn't get dark where you live? The L.E.D. flashlight is about the
size
> of a roll of quarters (length and circumfrence) and is very powerful. It
> can be blinding in pitch darkness and can be used to blind and confuse an
> assailant. The roll of quarters size can be handy too.

> > And who carries a checkbook in the age of debit cards?
>

> I like to write down the details as I go and never doubt what my true
> balance is. It may see old fashioned to a wet-behind-ears child like you,
> but whatever floats your boat. Identity can be stolen and debit cards
> raided, checks make that a little more difficult.

> > But hey, if you want to go to the store armed to the teeth, be my guest.
> >

> Armed to the teeth? Hardly. If I didn't mind totin' the extra weight, I
> could add a can of mace, a gun in an SOB (small of back, oh toilet minded
> one), another gun in an ankle holster, and yet another in a cross draw
> position in an undercover t-shirt. I don't like shoulder holsters, but
> there's another possibility. Tennessee law doesn't restrict the number or
> kind of handguns one can carry. (Reference Mel Gibson in the original
> "Lethal Weapon.") If I wanted to take the time and money to get
certified,
> I could add an A.S.P. baton.
>
> Armed to the toe maybe. That right foot, made of neoprene, could
definitely
> be classed as a concealed weapon ... back in my teen years I used it where
> fellow playfully pulled a switch blade on me. I playfully swung my
> artificial foot (then attached to my leg by a large chunk of white pine)
> into his crotch. It took him several minutes to straighten up.
>
> Like the 93 year old, if someone tries to take me down, it will be with as
> much trouble as I can provide.

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:10:08 PM7/30/07
Tell you what, next time you and your wife go out, dress like this idiot.
I'm interested to see what she says.

And I'm not afraid of guns.
I just don't have the time for them.

> nodd...@comcast.net (robw) wrote in
>
> > Why would you need a flashlight? And who carries a checkbook in the
> > age of debit cards?
>
> Acceptance of diversity, tolerance and understanding ...
>
> Well, it's pretty clear why you're so afraid of guns.

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:11:46 PM7/30/07
I guess they never taught philosophy or human behavior classes at your
college.

> "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > 93 is 93. It's that simple.
> >
> > Only a total asshole would walk around his house armed.
> >

> > Penis envy, it's another term sometimes given to people who love guns.
> >

> > Now you don't need to look it up.
>
> %%%% Why do you associate firearms with the male penis hoplophobe? Is it a
> homoerotic fantasy or a phobia of yours?
>
> http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/problem_detail.asp?SDID=5742:1672

> > "Kent Finnell" <kent...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> >> "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> >> The case I made (and you missed it) is that old isn't necessairly
feeble.

> >> Yup. And your problem with that is?

> >> Basic safety hint, never put your finger on the trigger unless you plan
> >> pull the trigger. While taking a dump, the revolver goes on a flat
> > surface
> >> beside or behind the toilet. When re-holstering, don't put the finger
> >> inside the trigger guard. Since the firing pin is blocked unless the
> >> trigger is pulled, there can be no "accidental" discharge. Dropped,
> > kicked,
> >> thrown, it ain't going to fire.
> >>
> >> I have? Now the revolver stays on my right hip, above my right foot
> >> which
> >> happens to be artificial. That happened because of a birth defect.
The
> >> foot was amputated when I was 14, long before I started carrying. I'm
> >> now
> >> 66.
> >>
> >> If you're feeling froggy, you feel free to jump, hoplophobe.

> >> Projection problems, robw? That's a psychological term. Google it.

arkienurse

Jul 30, 2007, 11:12:26 PM7/30/07

"tiny dancer" <tinyda...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Bo Raxo" <crimene...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <edi...@netpath.net> wrote in message

>> If the old guy had an alarm system (or even just signs saying he had
>> one),
>> or a good steel core door, deadbolt, and steel bars over the windows, he
>> never would have gotten beaten up in the first place.

But he lives in a neighborhood where a lot of the residents do not have
bars over the windows. Yes the neighborhood is going down, but I didn't
realize it was quite to that point yet. The house where this occured is
less than a block from the hospital that I work at. I often walk out to my
car at very late hours and have never felt fear. Until now. Now I am
thinking of getting pepper spray to keep with me when I leave late at night.

>> Since he got beaten to within an inch of his life, it sounds to me like
> the
>> gun wasn't all that effective as a protection strategy.

Well, he didn't actually have it on his person when first attacked,
according to the newspaper. It was on his bedside table if I recall rightly

>> protection strategies are crime prevention strategies.
>>

>> Bo Raxo
>

> This was Arkansas bo, not S.F. or NYC. I'd imagine there's a good chance
> we
> are talking about sub-standard housing to begin with. If it's a landlord
> situation, landlords involved in substandard housing don't even spend the
> money to make plumbing repairs, let alone any sort of *improvements*. The
> old guy is most likely living on a fixed income. The burglar had two
> hearing aids found on him, so old guy was also hard of hearing.

And he walked into the burglary, from the article in Saturday's paper.
Athough the articles are saying this occured at night, it apparently occured
at 6:30 pm and the feller is apparently spry enough to walk someone else's
dog and returned home only to walk into the burglar in the dining room. I
only half read the article in the newspaper and can't remember all the
details, but there was a lengthy article in Saturday's local paper. In
order to see it online up close you have to subscribe. You can see the
pages at http://epaper.wehco.com/Daily/Skins/ElDorado/ but you can't get
a closeup view to read it, just the bigger words and a few pictures. Just
go to the Saturday July 28 edition to view the headlines and photos.

arkie

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:13:09 PM7/30/07
Thank you.

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:14:08 PM7/30/07
The 93 year old can shoot a gun but not release a latch???

"tiny dancer" <tinyda...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:19:17 PM7/30/07
Other "folk's"??

Why not just say other men's???

Or are you in a relationship with a tranny mid change???

"RD (The Sandman)" <rdsandman(spamlock)@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in

> > Penis envy, it's another term sometimes given to people who love guns.
> >

> What's amusing is that it's always folks like you who bring it up. Just
> how obsessive are you on other folk's penises?

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:22:40 PM7/30/07
I've never confused my penis with a gun.

My penis has never fired too soon or failed to shoot altogether.

> rdsandman(spamlock)@comcast.net (RD (The Sandman)) wrote in

> > "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in
> >
> >> Penis envy, it's another term sometimes given to people who love
> >> guns.
> >>

> > What's amusing is that it's always folks like you who bring it up.
> > Just how obsessive are you on other folk's penises?
>

> On USENET, it's only the gun control advocates who ever confuse a gun
> with a penis.
>
> Maybe that's why they become gun grabbers.

arkienurse

Jul 30, 2007, 11:22:09 PM7/30/07

"robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Sill don't believe it.
> Who called the cops?

according to the newspaper Saturday, the old man did. He waited on the
porch with his gun, not knowing if the "victim" would be coming after him or
not. Evidently reports of " beaten to within an inch of his life" have been
exaggerated, just a bit.

arkie

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:23:54 PM7/30/07
Sorry Cuz, if you google my posts you'll see I'm not a gun grabber....or a
penis grabber. The beautiful Artist/Muse is in charge of that.

> Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in news:Xns997D7F713E314VeebleFetzer@
> 127.0.0.1:

> > rdsandman(spamlock)@comcast.net (RD (The Sandman)) wrote in
> >
> >> "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in

> >> What's amusing is that it's always folks like you who bring it up.
> >> Just how obsessive are you on other folk's penises?
> >
> > On USENET, it's only the gun control advocates who ever confuse a gun
> > with a penis.
> >
> > Maybe that's why they become gun grabbers.
> >

> Ouch, that hurt..... ;)

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:25:40 PM7/30/07
Perhaps the tooth fairy.........

> "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in

> > Sill don't believe it.
> > Who called the cops?
>

> Perhaps, the neighbors after hearing the gun shots.....perhaps, the
> burglar trying to reach an ambulance...

> > "David Moffitt" <moff...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

> >> "robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> >> %%%% Here's a bitch slap across the face for tyou hoplophobe. ":o)
> >>
> >> From the Pine Bluff Commercial of July 27, 2007
> >> Police: El Dorado man, 93, shoots robber after beating
> >>
> >> An elderly man beaten unconscious by an assailant wielding a soda
> >> can
> >> later awoke and shot the man during an attempted robbery, police
> >> said.
> >>
> >> Willie Lee Hill, 93, told police he saw the robber while in his
> >> bedroom
> >> Wednesday night. Hill confronted Douglas B. Williams Jr., 24, of El
> > Dorado,
> >> who struck the elderly man at least 50 times, kknocking him out,
> >> police said.
> >>
> >> Hill, covered in blood from the attack, regained consciousness and
> > pulled
> >> a .38-caliber handgun on Williams. Williams saw the gun and charged
> >> Hill, who fired one round, police said. The bullet struck Williams in
> >> the
> > throat.
> >>
> >> When police arrived, officers said Williams told them, "I can't
> >> feel my
> >> legs and I got what I deserved."
> >>
> >> Paramedics took Hill and Williams to the Medical Center of South
> > Arkansas
> >> for treatment. Doctors later sent Williams to the Louisiana State
> > University
> >> Medical Center at Shreveport, where he was listed in critical
> >> condition Friday.
> >>
> >> Employees at the Medical Center of South Arkansas refused to give
> >> Hill's
> >> condition or say if he'd been discharged from the hospital Friday,
> >> citing medical privacy laws.
> >>
> >> Officers reported finding a set of keys, two hearing aids, a CD
> >> player,
> > an
> >> MP3 player, a Craftsman drill bit set and three pocket knives inside
> >> Williams' pockets. Police plan to charge Williams with residential
> > burglary,
> >> second-degree battery, theft of property and theft by receiving.

robw

Jul 30, 2007, 11:26:16 PM7/30/07
Great points!

"Bo Raxo" <crimene...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Jul 30, 4:28 am, Bama Brian <bamaNOTbr...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > robw wrote:
> > > Well, according to this "fairytale" the man got beat to an inch of his
life.

> > > And he could still shoot a gun?
> >
> > > Right.
> >
> > > "David Johnston" <da...@block.net> wrote in message

> > The same incident is reported in the Pine Bluff Commercial and on the
> > Fox 16 TV news
at:http://www.fox16.com/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=379379a1-e408-4...

> > Still might not be true - but then, that lady that was murdered by the
> > Atlanta narcs who broke into her home got off at least one shot. And
> > she was in her 90's, IIRC.
> >

> And if she didn't have that gun, it is unlikely the police would have
> fired a shot. An excellent example of a gun causing the owner's
> death.
>

> > Strange things happen.
> >

> Yes, they do, especially with extremely old people. They mistake the
> gas for the accelerator and drive cars in to buildings. They set
> things down and forget where they left them. They get easily
> confused.
>

> And you want these people carrying loaded guns?!?
>

> Living in a single family dwelling in an isolated rural area entails
> certain risks. Those risks are greater if you're very, very old. If
> those risks aren't acceptable to you, move to a place with closer
> neighbors, better police coverage, or even to something like a senior
> citizen community. That's a better risk mitigatin strategy than
> handing a loaded gun to someone who is likely to mistake a gas pedal
> for a brake.
>

> Bo Raxo

edi...@netpath.net

Jul 30, 2007, 11:26:42 PM7/30/07
On Jul 30, 3:29 pm, Bo Raxo <crimenewscen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone thinking that burglars are going to whip out an acetylene torch
> to cut through your window bars is completely nuts.

Really want to TELL burglars that your house is the one that
obviously has stuff that valuable in it? And - when you sell your
house - will bars on the windows help tell potential buyers it's a
nice area to live in?

> Burglars are interested in getting a quick score. If your house is a
> difficult target, they'll pick an easier one. Even just having signs
> and stickers announcing you have an alarm system (whether you actually
> have one or not) can be a good deterrent.

Bullshit; I've SEEN police in nearby Greensboro here in North
Carolina - a mid-size city - take 20 minutes on a weekday, daytime, to
answer such a call. The fact that almost all residential alarm calls
are false alarms has led police forces to not take them seriously for
years now.

> And bonus points for the guy who claims that window bars violate fire
> codes: he obviously knows zero about window bars, they come with a
> latch you can release from the inside in case of fire.

I've SEEN all sorts of window bars - many bolted to the window
frame from the outside, not capable of being unlocked from the
interior of the building. Go to Miami on Biscayne Blvd. - and you can
see some yourself.

It is loading more messages.