AR activist arrested for spreading "Mad Cow" disease in US

jjo...@newsgate.com

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
Just saw this on the AP wire. Are these ARAs getting out of hand or what???

AP 4/1/96 1:30PM PST (San Francisco)

An alleged member of an ultra-radical international animal rights group was
arrested in California last weekend as a result of an investigation of a
conspiracy to infect U.S. cattle herds with a fatal brain disease. The
disease, Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis (BSE), popularly called "Mad Cow"
disease, is currently ravaging cattle herds in Great Britain. Recently
there has been speculation in the medical community that the consumption of
beef from infected cattle may be the cause of a brain disease in humans.

John Baker, a spokesman for the U.S. Justice Department, said that local
police, with the assistance of an FBI task force, arrested Jeffery Roberts
at a central California cattle feedlot on Saturday. Roberts, 23, of
Berkeley, was allegedly in possession of a quantity of sheep brain matter
which tested positive for a virus believed to be the same one that causes
BSE in cattle. The arrest was the culmination of a six month investigation
of feed contamination incidents in central California. Baker said that the
FBI joined the investigation when it became apparent that the contamination
was occurring after the feed was shipped from an out-of-state manufacturer.
Animal protein has been banned from feed produced in the U.S. since 1989,
since offal in feed has been shown to be a source of diseases such as BSE.

Two other suspects in the alleged conspiracy were still at large Monday.

Roberts, who refused to comment on his arrest, is allegedly a member of an
ultra-radical animal rights group called Animal Liberation Front (ALF).
Roberts is being held without bail on preliminary charges of trespassing.
Justice Department sources said that federal charges, including conspiracy
to commit domestic terrorism, would be filed this week. Another animal
rights group, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), has
offered to provide Roberts with bail and legal assistance.

An anonymous telephone message r

allegedly from the ALF group, stated: "We stand in solidarity with Comrade
Roberts and all the noble animals who are giving their lives to end the
oppression of their brothers and sisters by the vicious animal
killer-eaters and their companion-animal enslaving lackeys. Some may
question our course of action, but we feel that the end justifies the
means. We had to destroy the cattle in order to save them."

Martha McLemore

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
It says here, jjo...@newsgate.com wrote:
<message snipped for brevity>

>Just saw this on the AP wire. Are these ARAs getting out of hand or what???
>An alleged member of an ultra-radical international animal rights group was
>arrested in California last weekend as a result of an investigation of a
>conspiracy to infect U.S. cattle herds with a fatal brain disease.
>John Baker, a spokesman for the U.S. Justice Department, said that local
>police, with the assistance of an FBI task force, arrested Jeffery Roberts
>at a central California cattle feedlot on Saturday.

>Roberts, who refused to comment on his arrest, is allegedly a member of an

>ultra-radical animal rights group called Animal Liberation Front (ALF).

Uh-h-h-h. . .you had me convinced until I got the ALF!

April Fool to you, too! That was pretty good! : )

Martha McLemore ma...@pa.net
TranquiliTea Base (C) 1996

Don Fong

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
In article <26Ncev...@newsgate.com>, <jjo...@newsgate.com> wrote:
>Just saw this on the AP wire. Are these ARAs getting out of hand or what???
>
>AP 4/1/96 1:30PM PST (San Francisco)
^^^

>An alleged member of an ultra-radical international animal rights group was
>arrested in California last weekend as a result of an investigation of a
>conspiracy to infect U.S. cattle herds with a fatal brain disease.

be skeptical of anything dated 4/1 .

--
--- don fong ``i still want the peace dividend''

John Andrews

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
ma...@pa.net (Martha McLemore ) wrote:

>It says here, jjo...@newsgate.com wrote:
> <message snipped for brevity>

>>Just saw this on the AP wire. Are these ARAs getting out of hand or what???

>>An alleged member of an ultra-radical international animal rights group was
>>arrested in California last weekend as a result of an investigation of a
>>conspiracy to infect U.S. cattle herds with a fatal brain disease.

>>John Baker, a spokesman for the U.S. Justice Department, said that local
>>police, with the assistance of an FBI task force, arrested Jeffery Roberts
>>at a central California cattle feedlot on Saturday.

>>Roberts, who refused to comment on his arrest, is allegedly a member of an
>>ultra-radical animal rights group called Animal Liberation Front (ALF).

>Uh-h-h-h. . .you had me convinced until I got the ALF!

>April Fool to you, too! That was pretty good! : )

>Martha McLemore ma...@pa.net
>TranquiliTea Base (C) 1996

Martha: The ALF (Animal Liberation Front) is very serious, and not to
be taken lightly. They will stop at nothing, and I mean nothing in
"so-called" defense of animals.

viewer

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
df...@cse.ucsc.edu (Don Fong) wrote:

>>Just saw this on the AP wire. Are these ARAs getting out of hand or what???
>>

>>AP 4/1/96 1:30PM PST (San Francisco)
> ^^^

>>An alleged member of an ultra-radical international animal rights group was
>>arrested in California last weekend as a result of an investigation of a
>>conspiracy to infect U.S. cattle herds with a fatal brain disease.
>

> be skeptical of anything dated 4/1 .

Yeah, but shouldn't you reserve sketicism for things that out of the ordinary?

The animal rights crowd wouldn't hesitate for a moment to try to pull off
what is described in the referenced post.

Real news doesn't stop happening on 4/1 -- it just gets harder to tell.

David Arno

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96

:
: be skeptical of anything dated 4/1 .

:
Is there a significance to the 4th of January then?

--
David Arno
Five billion people: five billion opinions.

Emmett Jordan

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
Believe it or not Big Mac is one of the ultra radicals who provide
fast food cattle burgers to interstate vehicles who drive all over
the place providing scraps for rats, cats, flies, etc, so that the
Mad Cow Disease might spread even faster than it would otherwise do.
Likewise his girl friend Wendy.

Tigress

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96

> Yeah, but shouldn't you reserve sketicism for things that out of the ordinary?
>
> The animal rights crowd wouldn't hesitate for a moment to try to pull off
> what is described in the referenced post.

You're kidding right? Being animals rights groups, I don't think they are
going to inflict painful disease on animals for their own end. Think about
it.

Tigress

|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ Homepage: www.prism.gatech.edu/~gt3220a
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-' gt3...@prism.gatech.edu
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat drawn by Felix Lee

Jeff Lavezzo

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
Boy, if there's anything worse than a meat eater is those
pansey Lacto-Ovas at the Animal Liberation Front. They are
almost as bad as the leather-wearing hippy-crits in the Front
for Animal Liberation. THEY aren't even Veg!
We here at Frontline! Liberators of Animals are strict Vegan
and proud of it. We are dedicated haters of meaters, ALF, and
FAL. ... And International Animal Liberators... Oh yeah, and
International Front for Animal Liberation (that bunch of
splitters). and.....

[apologies to John Cleese, Graham Chapman and all the Monty
Pythons]
--
/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\/*\
"We, verily, have come to bind together the hearts of all those who

Michael Rivero

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
In article <26Ncev...@newsgate.com>, <jjo...@newsgate.com> wrote:
>Just saw this on the AP wire. Are these ARAs getting out of hand or what???
>
>AP 4/1/96 1:30PM PST (San Francisco)
>
>An alleged member of an ultra-radical international animal rights group was
>arrested in California last weekend as a result of an investigation of a
>conspiracy to infect U.S. cattle herds with a fatal brain disease. The
>disease, Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis (BSE), popularly called "Mad Cow"
>disease, is currently ravaging cattle herds in Great Britain. Recently
>there has been speculation in the medical community that the consumption of
>beef from infected cattle may be the cause of a brain disease in humans.

Can we wait and see if this story is still running on April 2nd?

--
============== P I X E L O D E O N P R O D U C T I O N S ==============
| Mike & Claire - The Rancho Runnamukka http://www.accessone.com/~rivero |

sort_of_dodgy,_really

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96

da...@linkmsd.com writes:
>df...@cse.ucsc.edu "Don Fong" writes:
>
>: >An alleged member of an ultra-radical international animal rights group was

>: >arrested in California last weekend as a result of an investigation of a
>: >conspiracy to infect U.S. cattle herds with a fatal brain disease.
>:
>: be skeptical of anything dated 4/1 .
>:
>Is there a significance to the 4th of January then?

Yes, that was the day that Guy Fawkes' biological attack on Parliament
failed, only days after his nuclear attack laid an egg, a week after
his chemical attack went awry, and nearly two weeks after he flummoxed
his conventional bomb attack.

Ronald Schaub

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
In article <4juqa7$7...@pulm1.accessone.com>,

<jjo...@newsgate.com> wrote:
>>Just saw this on the AP wire. Are these ARAs getting out of
hand or what???

>>AP 4/1/96 1:30PM PST (San Francisco)
>>
>>An alleged member of an ultra-radical international animal
rights group was
>>arrested in California last weekend as a result of an
investigation of a
>>conspiracy to infect U.S. cattle herds with a fatal brain
disease. The
>>disease, Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis (BSE), popularly
called "Mad Cow"
>>disease, is currently ravaging cattle herds in Great
Britain. Recently
>>there has been speculation in the medical community that the
consumption of
>>beef from infected cattle may be the cause of a brain
disease in humans.

> Can we wait and see if this story is still running on April
2nd?

I checked and this was started by some idiot to scare us all!

strusk

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
Sort of Dodgy, Really wrote:

>da...@linkmsd.com writes:
>>df...@cse.ucsc.edu "Don Fong" writes:
>>
>>: >An alleged member of an ultra-radical international animal rights group was

>>: >arrested in California last weekend as a result of an investigation of a
>>: >conspiracy to infect U.S. cattle herds with a fatal brain disease.
>>:
>>: be skeptical of anything dated 4/1 .
>>:
>>Is there a significance to the 4th of January then?
>
>Yes, that was the day that Guy Fawkes' biological attack on Parliament
>failed, only days after his nuclear attack laid an egg, a week after
>his chemical attack went awry, and nearly two weeks after he flummoxed
>his conventional bomb attack.

I thought for sure it was Wat Tyler who tried to nuke Parliament. Or Steven
Tyler, or something.

strusk

Ronald Schaub

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
In article <4jvqv9$t...@wombat.melbpc.org.au>,

dma...@melbpc.org.au (David Major) wrote:

>>Martha: The ALF (Animal Liberation Front) is very serious,
and not to
>>be taken lightly. They will stop at nothing, and I mean
nothing in
>>"so-called" defense of animals.
>
>"So-called?" No, quite real. Quite justified.

Here's another lie by another one of those people!

Ben Leamy

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
Shame that this wind up was flawed in so many places...

In article <26Ncev...@newsgate.com>, jjo...@newsgate.com writes:
> Just saw this on the AP wire. Are these ARAs getting out of hand or what???
or what???

> AP 4/1/96 1:30PM PST (San Francisco)
>

> An alleged member of an ultra-radical international animal rights group was
> arrested in California last weekend as a result of an investigation of a

> conspiracy to infect U.S. cattle herds with a fatal brain disease. The
> disease, Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis (BSE), popularly called "Mad Cow"
> disease, is currently ravaging cattle herds in Great Britain. Recently
> there has been speculation in the medical community that the consumption of
> beef from infected cattle may be the cause of a brain disease in humans.

(When the British government addmit that 'it is the most likely cause', I think we
can be pretty certain that the atypical cases of CJD in the younge ARE caused
by BSE in cattle.)

> John Baker, a spokesman for the U.S. Justice Department, said that local
> police, with the assistance of an FBI task force, arrested Jeffery Roberts

> at a central California cattle feedlot on Saturday. Roberts, 23, of
> Berkeley, was allegedly in possession of a quantity of sheep brain matter
> which tested positive for a virus believed to be the same one that causes
> BSE in cattle. The arrest was the culmination of a six month investigation
> of feed contamination incidents in central California. Baker said that the
> FBI joined the investigation when it became apparent that the contamination
> was occurring after the feed was shipped from an out-of-state manufacturer.
> Animal protein has been banned from feed produced in the U.S. since 1989,
> since offal in feed has been shown to be a source of diseases such as BSE.

This is well the whole thing feel apart as a badly reasearched wind up..
Animal protein has NOT been banned from feed produced in the U.S.
about 8% of US cattle is recycled back into cattle feed even now,
(although the FDA are being pressured new into inforcing a ban).

> Two other suspects in the alleged conspiracy were still at large Monday.

> Roberts, who refused to comment on his arrest, is allegedly a member of an
> ultra-radical animal rights group called Animal Liberation Front (ALF).

> Roberts is being held without bail on preliminary charges of trespassing.
> Justice Department sources said that federal charges, including conspiracy
> to commit domestic terrorism, would be filed this week.

Cool charge - wouldn't 'feeding the animals without permission' be a better one?
After all, if it is currently legal for farmers to feed US cattle BSE infected
feed, why should it be illegal for an animal rights activist?

> Another animal
> rights group, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), has
> offered to provide Roberts with bail and legal assistance.

Dream on, its not often that one of the national groups chooses to help out any
grass roots activists.

> An anonymous telephone message allegedly from the ALF group, stated:

> "We stand in solidarity with Comrade
> Roberts and all the noble animals who are giving their lives to end the
> oppression of their brothers and sisters by the vicious animal
> killer-eaters and their companion-animal enslaving lackeys. Some may
> question our course of action, but we feel that the end justifies the
> means. We had to destroy the cattle in order to save them."

Well, you never know. It may yet happen :-)

Ben.

What is wrong with McDonald's
Visit McSpotlight and judge for yourself...
http://www.McSpotlight.org/
now with many BSE/CDJ related links...
http://www.McSpotlight.org/beyond/madcow.html

jnilsen

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
on Wed, 03 Apr 1996 12:47:04 -0400 Tigress (gt3...@prism.gatech.edu) utilized the mandibles to disperse:
# In article <316217f9...@news.netonecom.net>, vie...@view.city.org wrote:

# > Yeah, but shouldn't you reserve sketicism for things that out of the ordinary?
# >
# > The animal rights crowd wouldn't hesitate for a moment to try to pull off
# > what is described in the referenced post.

# You're kidding right? Being animals rights groups, I don't think they are
# going to inflict painful disease on animals for their own end. Think about
# it.

# Tigress

But they will and have inflicted pain and death on animals for their own
end. Recall some roosters, some bunnies, and some Silver Springs
Monkeys, the former two of which they killed and the latter which they
wouldn't let die. Think about it.

* jon.n...@yale.edu ** Time flies like an arrow. *
* //pantheon.cis.yale.edu/~jnilsen ** Fruit flies like a banana. *
* ** Drosophila like plantains. *

Kevin Bailey

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96

In article <4k07nj$9...@news.hsonline.net> Ronald Schaub wrote:
>In article <4jvqv9$t...@wombat.melbpc.org.au>,
> dma...@melbpc.org.au (David Major) wrote:
>>
>>>Martha: The ALF (Animal Liberation Front) is very serious,
>and not to
>>>be taken lightly. They will stop at nothing, and I mean
>nothing in
>>>"so-called" defense of animals.
>>
>>"So-called?" No, quite real. Quite justified.
>>

>By Ronald Schaub:

>Here's another lie by another one of those people!

What lies are being told? ALF is quite open in admitting the cruel
and criminal actions that they take against human animals,
including letters loaded with mousetraps rigged with razor blades.
what's the lie, Schaub?

David Major

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96

RHGerber

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96

rsc...@hsonline.net (Ronald Schaub) wrote:
>In article <4jvqv9$t...@wombat.melbpc.org.au>,
> dma...@melbpc.org.au (David Major) wrote:
>>
>Here's another lie by another one of those people!

*Which* people?

rhg
--
There are temptations that require all one's
strengths to yield to.

berton corson

Apr 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/6/96
> stuff on Mad Cow "virus."
This might be an April Fools joke. Anyone doing any reading about
BSE (Mad Cow Disease) would know that Mad Cow Disease is not a
virus, but a prion, or form of a protein. The thing was being
passed from cow to cow by feeding cow parts to other cows, and
sheep parts to cows, mixed in their feed. The Mad Cow Disease
scare that really caught on last month was the possibility that
humans might acquire a form of BSE by eating these cows. But
these aren't viruses.

Legrand Frommage

Apr 7, 1996, 4:00:00 AM4/7/96
I kinda wonder if these "brain rotting" diseases are a lot more common
than most people think. Sheep in the US have had scrapie for years, and
until just recently (about 1988, I think) ground-up sheep parts were used
as protein supplements in cattle feed.

Anybody heard of Alzheimer's?

Could be the same type of disease. I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one
on the internet, but it would be an interesting possibility. What would
be the cost of destroying the entire US beef and sheep herds if a link to
Alzheimer's was found????

Phillip M. Hallam-Baker

Apr 7, 1996, 4:00:00 AM4/7/96
jnilsen wrote:

> But they will and have inflicted pain and death on animals for their own
> end. Recall some roosters, some bunnies, and some Silver Springs
> Monkeys, the former two of which they killed and the latter which they
> wouldn't let die. Think about it.

This is the same ALF which exploded a bomb in Bristol almost killing
a toddler who was been wheeled by in a pushchair?

Don't make the mistake of believing that a terrorists overt aims will
restrict their means. The cause is mearly a justification for their
psychotic activities. The desire is to murder and maim simply to demonstrate
their standing in the cause.

Phill

Steve Struthers

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
Legrand Frommage <jpa...@michelob.wustl.edu> writes:

>hbge...@csun.edu (berton corson) writes:
>> > stuff on Mad Cow "virus."
>> This might be an April Fools joke. Anyone doing any reading about
>> BSE (Mad Cow Disease) would know that Mad Cow Disease is not a
>> virus, but a prion, or form of a protein.

<snip>

>I kinda wonder if these "brain rotting" diseases are a lot more common
>than most people think. Sheep in the US have had scrapie for years, and
>until just recently (about 1988, I think) ground-up sheep parts were used
>as protein supplements in cattle feed.

>Anybody heard of Alzheimer's?

I was about to post a similar theory, but you beat me to it. You might
be onto something here. The only problem with the theory you advance
is that Alzheimer disease doesn't cause the brain to go spongy (as is
the case in BSE/CJD), nor does the agent thought to be responsible for
causing the disease bore holes in the brain.

Alzheimer disease also differs in that it primarily afflicts the
elderly, and takes a long time to manifest itself. The prodromal
period in Alzheimer's tends to be marked by subtle changes in the
sufferer's behaviour and personality - changes which are sometimes
correctly attributed to aging. In BSE/CJD, the prodromal period (the
period before overt symptoms are noticed) is considerably shorter.

However, if it can be shown that BSE/CJD is responsible for depositing
the same kind of protein that is found in the brains of Alzheimer
patients post-mortem, then there might be a link deserving of further
investigation.

<snippet>

>What would
>be the cost of destroying the entire US beef and sheep herds if a link to
>Alzheimer's was found????

Incalculable, when you consider that the market for beef and lamb in
North America alone is roughly twice that of the British. Obviously,
because the agri-business sector is so huge and such a central facet
of the economy, the effects of a herd kill-off would be far-reaching.

Already Britons by the score are probably biting their nails to the
quick just wondering what the extent of the fall-out from the BSE
scare will be.

Andrew

Apr 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/20/96

Some idiots even thought Mad Cow Disease is similar as Mad Dog disease.