Objectivism of Ayn Rand

Derek Abbott

Sep 22, 1992, 12:26:17 AM9/22/92
Can anybody define the Objectivism of Ayn Rand? Is this any different from
what philosophers normally mean by Objectivism?

Books I've read all seem very vague on Objectivism. Am I confused or
is it just me?

Michael Schmahl [Black-Robe Mage]

Sep 23, 1992, 1:41:30 AM9/23/92
Derek Abbott writes

From what I have read, Objectivism is the philosophy that there is an
absolute, or objective, standard fo ethics which must be followed for society
to work properly.

mi...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Sep 23, 1992, 7:05:23 AM9/23/92

This term is being used for a variety of disparate notions. In George
Lakoff's _Women, Fire and Dangerous Things_ "objectivism" means roughly
Aristotelian thought (bad) as opposed to the trendy "cognitivist"
way of dealing with mental phenomena (good). Ayn Rand devotees might
relate to part of that since Rand saw herself as an Aristotelian
(good) as opposed to modern forms of "Platonism" (bad).
********************************** +.............................+
*- Ken <mi...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>* :All opinions expressed herein:
*There is no privileged position.* :are my own and are not to be :
* -God, Derrida, others * : attributed to my employer :
********************************** +.............................+

jimmy donal wales

Sep 23, 1992, 4:58:09 PM9/23/92
Those interested in learning more about Rand's philosophy might
be interested in signing on to my mailing list "Moderated Discussion
of Objectivist Philosophy". The easiest way to subscribe is to send
me e-mail at:

jwa...@iubvm.ucs.indiana.edu

We are about to start a chapter-by-chapter discussion of Leonard
Peikoff's new book _Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand_.

The list is moderated, which means that postings are generally of
very high quality.

--Jimbo